5.0 out of 5 stars Get a new lease on life.
If you wonder why you're feeling lethargic or if you have one of those little abdominal paunches you thought was just advancing age, then you might need probiotic therapy. You might even need it if your resistance to colds is low!

Published on September 23, 2004 by Kelly Cannon Hess

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work for everyone
Published on May 24, 2007 by smoky

5.0 out of 5 stars Get a new lease on life., September 23, 2004
Kelly Cannon Hess (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews

Because we live much "cleaner" lives than our ancestors did, sterilizing our dishes, putting our food in the fridge, and spraying pesticides on everything, we live our lives virtually bacteria-free. Free of the GOOD bacteria, that is. The baddies seem to still get us, and without the good ones to balance them out, we're in trouble.

A lack of friendly bacteria in your intestines can cause problems throughout your body. To put it in "nice" terms, it's a little like having backed up plumbing inside you, and the world just ain't gonna be right until you fix it.

I started on probiotic therapy several months ago, and I was amazed at the following things that happened almost immediately:

*That little stomach paunch WENT AWAY. I kid you not. Talk about an instant self-esteem booster.

*My chronic [men, cover your ears] yeast infections decreased dramatically (even without my eliminating wheat from my diet, which I know I ought to do).

*I had more energy and felt more like the me of years ago.

*I became more resistant to colds than I used to be.

If you're considering supplementing your diet with probiotics, you should know that not all of them are created equal. In fact, testing done by [...] indicates that the vast majority of probiotic supplements don't deliver the number of live organisms they claim -- not even close! Those little creatures are very delicate, and things like processing, shipping, and sitting on your shelf can kill them. And let's not even talk about what your stomach acid does to them.

Primal Defense is one of the few supplements that delivers the amount of probiotics it claims to. (I can tell from its effects on me.) In addition, it contains lots of good-for-you green foods that also help build that all-important inner strength.

One very important caveat about Primal Defense, though: Because it's SO effective, don't even think about starting out taking 3 tablets a day! Not unless you don't mind a lot of abdominal discomfort and are able to spend several days all by yourself at home. I took one a day for about 2 months, and then I finally felt ready to move up to 2. It'll be at least another month before I'm up to the recommended 3.

One more thing: Drink lots of water. You need it anyway, and Primal Defense works best when you're well hydrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real deal is right. Fantastic product . . ., May 29, 2008
I've had digestive problems for years--most of my adult life. And my problems reached a climax when I was hospitalized with acute diverticulitis. My wife found this product at Whole Foods and ever since I've been taking just one pill a day (on most days--unless I do something crazy like drink too much alcohol or eat very spicy food--in which case I might take an extra one or two depending upon how screwed up I've managed to make my gut). I can't overstate the impact this product has had on my quality of life. It's been truly life-changing for me. And at this price you're talking less than $10/month for 180 pills. Expensive? Hardly. And worth every penny.

One final note: I was singing the praises of this product to my brother, who was suffering from ulcers at the time. For him, he couldn't get past the bloating that the product caused. Fortunately for me, my condition was dramatically improved by Primal Defense--and without any associated bloating. But as with so many things in life, there is rarely a single solution for everyone's problems. I would therefore recommend NOT stockpiling this product before you've determined how it works with your individual digestive system and issues. I would suggest that you buy a small amount--perhaps even one of the smaller bottles--and give it a try for at least a week or two before you "buy in" as I've done. Good luck in your search!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, July 25, 2006
After dealing with an auto-immune issue for 20 years, I have not had a problem since I started taking Primal Defense more than 4 years ago. This is the best product I've tried for maintaining a healthy gut and immune system.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work for everyone, May 24, 2007
I've suffered through years of digestive disorders and bought a large 'stockpile' of this product, believing it would help. I started at one tablet/day and slowly worked my way up to 3 tabs 3x/day. The results? Absolutely nothing! It failed to improve anything! I was pretty shocked/disappointed. For those of you wondering, I stayed on this regime for several months; I gave it plenty of time to work its magic but to no avail. This is not a cheap supplement either! A lot of money wasted for nothing!

I did discover later that I was low in stomach acid which might explain why it didn't work. Perhaps I wasn't even absorbing any of it; but after being on betaine for quite some time and trying this product again (I still had 2 bottles left over) it still made no difference. Perhaps I need to try the 'Ultra' formula, but at this point I'm pretty jaded/doubtful it will work.

UPDATE: June, 2008:

While I appreciate the comments of some well-wishers (Lindsay, Richard, S. Malette; thank you :) ), I think it's important to realize that there is no such thing as a 'magic bullet' that works on everyone when it comes to probiotics, no matter how well-made or high quality the product might be. I tried this product a number of different times, a number of different batches, at the maximum dosage required. Nada. There was nothing wrong with the product or how I was using it. It simply does not work for me. Period.

I have since found a completely different probiotic that does work! L. Sporogenes! Mercola recommends it to all his patients because he's found it has the highest success rate of all probiotics he's tested. (I think it's interesting to note that Mercola "used to" recommend Primal Defense but no longer does; it appears he's replaced it with this new one).

So there ya go! IF you find Primal Defense does not work for you (and I know there are others out there like me) I would suggest you try a probiotic that contains L. Sporogenes. You may have better success with it like I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars This stuff is the real deal, October 12, 2006
I take it because I have a minor case of crohns. I haven't felt this good since before I got sick. No need for expense artificial medication anymore. Thank you very much Garden of Life!

5.0 out of 5 stars I call it my dirt pill., March 23, 2006
Everyone living in the modern world should take this product. Primal defence and Omegazyme are the best products for the gut. Most people have between 5 and 40 extra pounds of rotting fecal matter hanging out in their gut. This product helps process that unnecessary weight off. I have had historically horrible digestive problems. It didn't matter how good or bad I ate, it was always on the bad side. Irritable Bowel Syndrome my doctor says. After taking this product and exercising more , I don't have chronic diareaha anymore and finally have normal bowel functioning. It is supposed to help kill pathogenic bacteria and yeast in your gut too. My whole family came down with a stomach bug that lasted a week, but it didn't phase me in the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars It will change your life, January 23, 2009
This review is from: Garden of Life Primal Defense, 180 Caplets (Health and Beauty)
My mother introduced me to Primal Defense and the Garden of Life product line about 4 years ago. If you suffer from gas/bloating, indigestion, acid reflux, irritable bowl, etc, this product will change your life.
I now recommend it to all my friends and would hate going without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars reduced food cravings, April 23, 2009
I knew something was not right with my digestion...for years, even decades I had constant food cravings and abdominal pain. My doctor could find nothing wrong, he used MRI, bariun enema, x ray, to no avail.

My weight had been going up along with my age, here i was.. 260# 60yo.

I looked on the web for any advise or help. I found Garden Of Life digestive enzymes and the probiotics in this review.. Within a day my food cravings began to lessen and my gut pain subsided. After two weeks the situatuion is getting even better.. I have a normal appetite, I feel full after a modest meal and I am actually able to walk past delicious food because I am not hungry. Believe me I ALWAYS ate everything before.

Maybe the resutls are not the same with all people, but these products certainly work for me.

PRODUCT UPDATE; After three years I am still using these daily and they still work for me, have really tamed my irritable bowel. My doctor has been impressed with the results and has recommended these to his patients with similar symptoms

1.0 out of 5 stars CELIACS STAY AWAY, July 28, 2010
eseng (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
I had been taking Primal Defense for almost a week, when I started getting nasty symptoms of being glutened. At first I couldn't figure out what the trigger was. I've been gluten-free for 12 years, and I'm a rigorous label-reader.

Then I double-checked this product, the only new addition to my diet. It actually says "vegetarian, gluten-free" on the label, so it looks safe. But there's also this tiny asterisk on the nutrition percentages label that says, "The culture medium for probiotics is dairy; bacterial proteases utilize WHEAT, dairy, and soy. Culture mediums are generally consumed during the fermentation process."

Not good enough, Primal Defense. Fix that label ASAP. Many celiac chat rooms show complaints like mine.

So I'm tossing my bottle. Definitely NOT gluten-free. They may make a great probiotic, but if you are CELIAC, STAY AWAY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best overall supplement, October 8, 2011
I've used Primal Defense for many years and consider it essential. The soil based organisms help to control fungal overgrowth, support the immune system and improve digestion. The most dramatic results have been in my elderly Mother-in-law. She has suffered with toenail fungus for many years. I take care of her feet and a topically applied fungicide has had only minor results. When she started taking 2 Primal Defense tablets a day with her vitamins, it took only a few months to see profound changes in her toenails. We didn't expect any change in that area but the fungus must be systemic because PD has helped so much.

Garden of Life Primal Defense, 180 Caplets