Published 9 months ago by Lissy

1.0 out of 5 stars High Heavy Metal Content
I practice weight-lifting and eat a paleo diet, so I was looking for a paleo-approved protein. I thought I scored gold when I found these tubs on sale (+ coupons) at my local Whole Foods (more on that later...)

Published 6 months ago by Diana

5.0 out of 5 stars although short on servings, plentiful in weight-loss support!!!!, March 15, 2014
This review is from: Garden of Life RAW Fit Protein (Health and Beauty)
As other reviewers have stated, this product has a ridiculously small number of servings per container, HOWEVER....that's because it's not just a protein powder. As I was reading through these reviews, comparing this product to their regular raw protein, I just couldn't believe that no one was discussing that the elevation in price, compared to number of servings was due to the fact that this product is enhanced with green coffee bean extract (which, in itself, is a VERY expensive health & weight-loss supplement) as well as Ashwaganda, which promotes immune-system health, curbs the production of cortisol (stress-related cravings, anyone?) and enhances your feeling of fullness, so you aren't looking to snack soon after drinking your shake. The flavor itself is worth the five star rating, compared to their regular protein powder flavor, which I normally have to cover up by blending with fruit (added sugar = huge enemy of weight loss, even though it's natural). I have been absolutely AMAZED and grateful for how satisfied I feel throughout the day, just by drinking two of these shakes, and having one regular meal. To me, it was a God-send...truly. With a 24/7 at-home business, I fight stress-related cravings like nobody's business and I have tried many things to get rid of this destructive tendency of mine. This does it for me! So, thank you, RAW Fit! And, truly, when you consider the fact that you are replacing an entire meal with the shake, and you can usually get it on sale somewhere for somewhere around $25-30, that's only 2-3 dollars per meal! Not bad for a meal that will keep you full and help you lose weight, at the same time.

1.0 out of 5 stars High Heavy Metal Content, June 5, 2014
This review is from: Garden of Life RAW Fit Protein (Health and Beauty)

I've tried my fair share of conventional whey protein powders and supplements. Best one I've taken (in regards to flavor, protein content, and mixability) was Optimum Nutrition. But once I made the switch to paleo, I had to find a protein that reflected my new nutritional standards.

Previous conventional powders I have tried tasted just awful and very watery (go-figure) when mixed with water. Your only options were to go the higher-calorie route and mix it with milk, or toughen up, ready your "I-just-got-a-whiff-of-poo" face, and gulp it down like a champ with water. The latter option became more difficult the more I repeated it. So, the lesson to learn here is that, unless you are mixing your protein powder (any kind) with milk, don't expect it to taste like a milkshake that would bring all the boys to the yard #jussayin'

I purchased the Marley Coffee flavor (ahh, the name brings back memories of Jamaica). I mix it with water and drink it no problem. The taste resembles a mixture of chalk (it's very chalky) and a little bit of flour, with a hint of coffee. I know what you're thinking, that sounds disgusting. But it's tolerable and certainly drinkable to me. Perhaps I haven't had enough servings to make me want to gag with every sip yet? Who knows. Never tried it with milk so I can't comment on that.

From my experience, it is quite difficult to fully mix powdered protein into liquid with nothing but a spoon. Optimum was the best brand I used in terms of mixability, and even so, it still left me with some small face-cringing clumps of pure powder at times. This powder did an even better job than Optimum, and I experienced no such clumps. #winning

The scoop is large and the protein content per serving is very high (28g) compared to other powders, but there are indeed only 10 servings per tub. And as with any tub of protein, the size of the tub is very deceiving and they never fill it all the way up (Can you say environmental waste? Ughh at least I do my part and recycle...) Typically a tub of protein is 3/4 full.This tub almost seemed to be just halfway full. If anyone wants to get back to me on the definitive reason why companies use larger-than-needed tubs, I'd appreciate it. #savethepetrochemicals

This protein contains organic plants compounds that aid in weight loss, such as green coffee bean extract. #coolbeans #LOLseewhatIdidthere? #Idon'tlikehastagssoI'mnotsurewhyI'musingthem

It includes a probiotic and enzyme blend to aid digestion. However, I am a bit skeptical of the effectiveness of probiotics that don't require refrigeration, but moving along..

It's free of all the nasties: think gluten, soy, dairy, artificial flavors and sweeteners, preservatives, pesticides, antibiotics, synthetic hormones, ect.

So based on all of the above characteristics, I would give this protein 5/5 stars. But there's another characteristic that forces me to ignore everything I like about it and instead rate it with 1 star: heavy metal content.

There's some controversy going around about the high heavy metal content in this protein, as well as in other plant-based proteins. Mike Adams, editor for Natural News, conducted experiments on popular protein powders to test for heavy metal content.

The main culprit for the high heavy metal content is brown rice protein (the #1 ingredient in this product). Mike Adams discussed this issue on the Dr. Oz show not too long ago. Most of this rice comes from China where it becomes heavily contaminated with heavy metals due to the lack of industrial regulation over there. As reported by Natural News: "Chinese government admits one-fifth of farm lands heavily contaminated with toxic heavy metals like cadmium, arsenic and lead." Uhhh yeah, not good... #don'tbuyfoodfromChina #anyoneknowwheretofindtilapiathatdoesn'tcomefromChina?

From what I've read, Garden of Life is currently responding to the experimental findings by working on reducing the heavy metal content by paying more attention to their sources and testing for the contaminants regularly, although their products won't reflect such lowered levels until 2015 (info also from an article on the Natural News website - sorry, guys. Amazon won't let me provide external links. You gotta Google this stuff).

Thanks to chemtrails and industrial pollution, it's now pretty much impossible to avoid heavy metals in food :/ But from my understanding, the heavy metal content that is currently part of Garden of Life products is at an unacceptable level. Even the goal levels that they aim to reach by 2015 (see Natural News website) are also unacceptable. I think we can all agree that any amount of heavy metals is a bad thing, although we also have to be rational and keep in mind that contamination in today's world is inevitable. Finding that happy place in the middle is thus important.

The approximate level of lead found in Garden of Life Raw Fit protein was 0.35 parts per million (ppm) = 350 parts per billion (ppb). You can find the raw data by Googling "proteins rice natural news lab results" - should be the first link.

Garden of Life agreed to limit the amount of lead to 250 ppb in their future products.

An online article (Google "clinical atomic spectroscopy"; should be the first link; it's from the pubs.acs website) states that lead levels in the blood are considered elevated when in excess of 100 ppb in children and 400 ppb in adults. Additionally, as time goes on and our knowledge about lead toxicity expands, there is a downward trend as to what we deem as "acceptable" levels in the blood. So the article also mentions that in the near future, it is likely that we will deem even the current "acceptable" levels as being too high.

So although both 350 and 250 ppb do fall beneath the current "adult" limit, it definitely goes over the limit for children. So even after the heavy metal concentrations are adjusted, children should still not be taking this protein. Adults should also be weary, as there truly is no safe amount of lead.

1) Lead interferes with normal bodily processes and is toxic to many organs, tissues, and the reproductive and nervous systems.
2) The acceptable levels are determined when scientists are able to notice a significant biological change in the body. Although we do know a lot, we are still limited to what we are able to see at the microscopic level until new technology emerges.
3) Blood tests for lead can only measure the amount of lead circulating in the bloodstream, not the amount being stored in the body. So the actual amount of lead in your body is going to be greater than what your blood tests reveal.

And that's just lead. Cadmium, mercury, arsenic, copper, and aluminum are also present in this protein at high levels. (They also tested for zinc, but seeing as it is an essential mineral, I didn't think the presence of zinc was worth mentioning.)

So I presume this is the reason why Garden of Life proteins are currently on sale at your local Whole Foods Market. They want to get rid of this crap. And I fell for it. I stocked up with enough tubs to cover me for the rest of the year. And now I get to take them all back. This should be fun... #yayfor200dollarrefund

[UPDATE: I took my unopened protein powders back to Whole Foods and said I was returning them due to the heavy metal content. The cashier asked if I was speaking in regards to the brown rice and appeared to check if brown rice was indeed included in the ingredients. She granted me a full refund. On that note, it appears that Whole Foods is aware of the heavy metal issue in brown rice and how their customers aren't happy with it, so that's good.]

I'm curious about your opinions, guys. We do have to be realistic and take into consideration the presence of heavy metals that affect our entire global food supply (not just in China). It's quite difficult to find plant-based foods that are completely free of any heavy metal substance nowadays. Anyone have any information regarding what levels of heavy metals are now considered "normal" in your typical organic tomato grown in the USA, for instance? So we have something to compare this product to? #hitmeup

Ciao

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! This works great., July 24, 2014
Rayca "Rayca" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
As others have posted, this is pretty expensive and the taste isn't like a milkshake- However, as another reviewer noted, it's $3 per serving. Any latte or other snack food one might buy every day would cost at least that much. I think that's a pretty fair price. This isn't a drink you want to have sit around and sip. It does separate easily and clump, so I found it's best to stir it up (or blender it) and drink it down. Some folks make awesome-sounding smoothies with it. I don't mind the taste but the after taste lingers until you eat. A little backstory on me: I quit drinking coffee 13 years ago, so you can see I would be scepticle of trying this because it's made with coffee beans. Although it's decaf, when you haven't had coffee for that long, believe me, it affects you enormously (even in small doses). Well it did not disappoint. I managed to sleep well the first night, woke up refreshed and in a GREAT mood. I figured it was this drink I had. My energy soared the next day and I drank one more glass. I did have a fitful sleep last night so this morning I cut the dose in half. I'm telling you, I'm a light weight :). However, the interesting thing is how it's supposed to support good blood levels. I have both diabetes and HBP running in my family so I test myself for those. I'm getting older and my BP usually runs in the 140s / mid-high 80s. This morning it was 123/80 !. I was stunned. BG is a little easier for me to manipulate with food but BP usually involves routine exercise to keep that in check. This is just a winner on so many levels. I think (for me) this is a good product to use when those weight loss plateaus happen. Or for folks that are "cutting." This will work like a charm for that. I don't even think about food but when I do eat, I am hungry for it and food just hits the spot. No overly hungry or overcompensating. Nothing like that, so far. I wouldn't want to get to used to it for fear your body will increase the tolerance for it and it would stop working.

******UPDATE******July 30, 2014

I got through the 5-day quick start, for weight loss. It was not very hard, at all. A few hunger bumps, but most of the time I had to remember to eat. This is a good product. I bought the other Fit Raw, without Marley coffee. It tastes like cake batter. It's sooooo good. I also bought the herbal d-tox. So I'm going to do that when I feel I need it. I'm taking the shakes only for breakfast now. Once I lose the amount of weight I want, I'll take the pills that's part of the program, for maintenance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw Fit, January 8, 2014
This review is from: Garden of Life RAW Fit Protein (Health and Beauty)
My husband and I love that this has very low sugar as I am diabetic. Also, we wanted a product that was free from artificial sweetners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw Fit, September 23, 2013
This review is from: Garden of Life RAW Fit Protein (Health and Beauty)
I loved this powder! It was filling, delicious, and best of all, it does not cause gas or bloating. This powder will be a sucess!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite of the lot, September 7, 2013
This review is from: Garden of Life RAW Fit Protein (Health and Beauty)
I dont know what everyone's yammering about. This is my favorite of all of the Garden of Life powders (haven't tried to yerba mate or chai, though). It blends a hell of a lot better than the RAW protein and regular powder, and has a taste similar to sweet cereal milk. If this sucker had more fiber and just.. more of it in the cannister, i'd be completely happy. That's the only downside to it, as others have mentioned - 10 servings? thats like, $90 for a month's supply! Fortunately, my local Natural Grocers always has their products on sale WITH a $5 coupon to add with it. DO NOT BUY THESE PRODUCTS FROM WHOLE FOODS. That place is the biggest scam ripoff I've ever seen, and prices these powders at $10-$15 more than other stores. Moral of review: RAW Fit good; Whole Foods evil. Thank you for your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars $3 protein shake that lasts 5-6hrs :), July 6, 2014
Keeps me full for 5-6 hours and caffeine gives me a nice energy but not overbearing (not shaky/tense). Even when I do start to feel hungry near lunch time, it's not that "GIVE ME FOOD NOWW!!" painful hunger it's more like a slow, mindful, "Hm, I should probably have a snack, but you know, no rush...".

Note, it definitely needs a thicker mixer, like almond/soy milk to help reduce the chalkiness.

This is my recipe (Peanut Butter w/Coconut)
1.5 Cups almond milk
2 TBSP peanut butter
2 TBSP Chia Seeds
1 TBSP Shredded Coconut

It's $3 per smoothie (at $30/10 scoops per container) but it's cheaper than my usual cafe run (and healthier).

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very impressed with Raw fit 7 lb's lost in 5 days., April 26, 2014
This review is from: Garden of Life RAW Fit Protein (Health and Beauty)
Okay, so we ALL know that 99.9% nutritional supplements are not known for the wonderful flavor. This one is no different. But I think common sense tells you how to help flavor. I have found drinking it ice cold and with a straw is perfect. I am one that can't drink or at something that taste gross. But this isn't terrible in the way that I do it.

First off, I felt that this is a very specialized and studied ingredient product, so I added nothing else in the area of chia or flax. But I used frozen berries, ice cold almond milk and 1/2 tsp natural honey. I do add about 1/2 ice cold water when I am mixing in my bullet.

I read so many comments on this product before I purchased. Partly due to my because of my illness and partly because I didn't want to waste money. I am online to purchase more today.

You read my weight lost correctly. I received it on Monday 21st of April. I drank one for a late lunch. Tuesday I started my program. I can't afford to drink it twice a day. So I decide when I wake up if I am in the mood for a breakfast meal or my drink. So I either have it for breakfast or lunch depending on mood. Today is April 26th and I have dropped 7 lb's :) I have been watching what I eat is low in sugar and fat. But I am eating foods I love. My worse time in a nighttime snack..but there are so many things to have a small amount of that is enjoyable. I am trying to not have anything after 7 pm. I had gotten into bad habit of snacking later in evening.

I read about Raw fit in a magazine my health food store gives out. It sounded so healthy and so I contacted to see if they carry it. But they didn't I live in a very small area. They carried it once, but the cost just was a point that cause buyers to not look at it. But owner told me that it was an amazing product. That you drink all these sprouted item and you body wants to dance. I totally agree with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars IN LOVE but wish there was more!!, February 24, 2014
Everything about this is excellent, but I wish there were more servings in one container! Garden of Life, please make JUMBO tubs!!! This stuff saves my life when I have zero time running out the door to work in the mornings..... no time to make coffee or eat....oh wait, they solved BOTH those things in one scoop! Marry me.

4.0 out of 5 stars I find this product to be very helpful in weight ..., July 25, 2014
This review is from: Garden of Life RAW Fit Protein (Health and Beauty)
I find this product to be very helpful in weight loss.

The other reviewer states that the brown rice is sourced from China. That is incorrect. The rice comes from California. He also goes on to mention Mike Adams. Well, take what this guy says with a grain of salt.
1) His lab is not certified.
2) He measures in parts per billion which inflates the results. The standard is parts per million.
3) He has his own product he's peddling.

Don't believe everything you read.

Garden of Life RAW Fit Protein