4.0 out of 5 stars Minor Assembly Required
Greenhouse Four-Tier Mini / B000NCTGQE

I bought this greenhouse to start seedlings in the house before transplanting them outside for spring, and also to host a little herb garden in the kitchen area.

Published on March 3, 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good buy
Published on April 12, 2010 by Green Thumb

4.0 out of 5 stars Minor Assembly Required, March 3, 2009
Greenhouse Four-Tier Mini / B000NCTGQE

Firstly, the measurements listed here are accurate. This is a very large unit, of respectable quality, and very affordable. I have yet to find another unit this size and quality online or in catalogs that doesn't cost twice this much. In fact, this same greenhouse is selling in some places for double this price, plus shipping, so Amazon has quite the bargain here.

Secondly, the greenhouse is incredibly easy to put together. We had it out of the box and set up in less than half an hour, with no onerous tools required. The shelves are a thin metal lattice, to let sunlight filter down to the bottom levels, but the metal is strong and feels very sturdy. The cover has enough lee-way to slip on and off easily, as well as ties to hold it in place, and extends well to the ground, to act as a barrier to curious house cats and naughty puppies.

However, and here's where I docked a star, some extra assembly is really required here. The shelves don't attach into place - they lay on top of the shelving bars, and it is absurdly easy to unbalance a shelf such that the shelf tips over and drops all your plants on the ground, spilling dirt and seeds everywhere. I had this happen and was not too amused. Don't let this put you off your purchase, though, as there is a simple solution: Buy some cheap cable ties (for example, Belkin 7.5IN Multicolored Cable Ties 52 Pieces) and use them to cinch the shelves in place. I used 6 ties per shelf (one in each corner and two in the middle) and the shelves are now completely sturdy and will never shift or move on me. And the cable ties are easy to cut, if you ever need to disassemble your greenhouse during a move.

So, bottom line, definitely buy this greenhouse for the bargain that it is and enjoy it immensely, as I am mine, but do remember to buy the cable ties (or something similar) to ensure that your pots won't fall and break.

~ Ana Mardoll

4.0 out of 5 stars Mini Greenhouse, April 27, 2009
This review is from: Gardman R687 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse (Lawn & Patio)
This is our second of these mini greenhouses. The first one was smaller (3 shelves, purchased locally from our local nursery)... we used the first one for about 7 or 8 years, and it produced so many wonderful veggies and flowers for our garden year after year which we started in pots from seed. We simply loved it, but the plastic cover bit the dust, and we had taped it in several places with clear packaging tape to squeeze the last couple of years use from it, so it was looking ratty after 4 or 5 years of use. We could have purchased a new cover for it, but decided if we tossed the cover, the wire shelves would be helpful in our tool shed for storage, so opted for this new taller unit on Amazon (4 shelves) to use for starting our seeds again each spring. It is exactly the same as the first one we bought, except 4 shelves (taller) than the first 3 shelf model. We anchored it with a couple of bricks on the bottom shelf, so it doesn't tip over in high winds. We planted our seeds a couple of weeks ago, and every one of the 40 small pots of plants inside have sprouted and are already about 2-3 inches high (8 varieties of tomatoes, acorn squash, zucchini, cukes, and lots more, already looking great and should be ready to plant in the garden by the time the weather warms up enough.) The only thing that is a must, besides watering when needed... during warm days, open the front zipper, and roll up the front flap during the day, or your plants on the top shelf can literally 'cook'. We made that mistake with the first unit, and found if we just unzip it in the daytime for air circulation, and zip it up at dusk to keep the warmth in, it works perfectly. And, again, put something heavy on the bottom rack (bricks, or coffee cans filled with sand, or heavy plants, etc.) or the unit can blow over in a windstorm. Very easy to assemble. Very easy to use. We love it, and have/and would purchase this product again! p.s... final note: when our seed pots are ready to plant, and the little green house is empty, we use wide/low terra cotta bowls, add a few rocks in the bottom for drainage, add soil, and add romaine lettuce seeds. Water, place on the racks, and you'll have nice romaine lettuce for salads/sandwiches in no time. The bonus of growing the lettuce in the greenhouse is this: it is raised off the ground so you don't get garden critters/snails/slugs munching on the leaves. They are totally clean when you're ready to use the lettuce leaves!!! As soon as I use the lettuce in one bowl, I refill it with new soil and seeds, and keep rotating the lettuce to use as it's ready from one bowl to the next, and it keeps me going with lettuce clear through the fall til cold weather hits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just needs a few adjustments, April 28, 2010
This review is from: Gardman R687 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse (Lawn & Patio)
I bought two of these at a major, home improvement store where I live for a lot less then they are here. I had already read the reviews so I was ready to make a few adjustments to keep them from blowing over & to keep the shelves in place. As suggested by others who bought this item, I secured the shelves to the frame using cable ties. Works perfectly & took about 3 mintues to complete. I then built a small cart for each unit using scrap wood from other projects, attached four casters to the bottom of each cart for ease of moving around my patio to take full advantage of the sun (or not). Then I mounted the units on the carts by drilling holes thru the plastic side frames and used two long screws with washers to secure each unit to the carts. I also drilled holes from top to bottom thru the plastic side frames & inserted a long garden stake, one per side all the way down to a hole drilled in the wooden cart. This added stability & the entire unit is weighed down by the cart so it won't blow over. I have had some very windy days & all has been well. We are still experiencing frost at night here in the upper midwest & I can easily roll my green houses into the garage at night for extra protection.
It is unfortunate that one has to make adjustment at all in order to make these mini-greenhouses usable, but considering the low cost compared to other models, I felt it was still a good purchase & a worthwhile effort on my part. I now have a whole lot of seedlings to plants & I am happy with the outcome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indoor Garden Greenhouse, April 18, 2010
This review is from: Gardman R687 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse (Lawn & Patio)
Excellent Greenhouse. Perfect size if you are like me, an apt dweller, don't have a backyard, and/or live in a city in which the weather conditions are not condusive to growing anything humans like to eat besides wild berries.

I was really excited when the FedEx person delivered this greenhouse. It set up fairly easily. With correct indoor lighting, you trully can grow anything. I recommend this book, "The Insatiable Gardener's GD:" by Susan M Brackney. It's a great intro GD to indoor gardening, espically if you are interested in growing fruits/ veggies, or herbs, and haven't the foggiest idea how to begin.

However, I would not recommend this greenhouse to a homeowner expecting to set it up on the back porch. It really is flimsy, unless you weighted it down with something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for certain purposes, February 27, 2010
This review is from: Gardman R687 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse (Lawn & Patio)
I am amazed at how clueless so many people are. Do they honestly think that a greenhouse made out of plastic is going to withstand winds and the elements? Or that these kinds of greenhouses will protect plant in 10 degree weather?! Come on people, common sense!

I bought this greenhouse to start seedlings inside. It's awesome for that. I am using heated mats and T5 grow lights. I am hanging the lights between the side posts. My seedlings came up in TWO days. There is a nice vent at the back. Our house is usually no more than 70 inside in the winter in the evenings and at night, is 67. The lights are on a timer from 5:30-10:30. The heated mats stay on all the time. If the day is warm, I open the vent in the back at the top. I used 72 cell planters that came with the plastic domes and used them for the first few days. Once the seeds came through, I just used the greenhouse to retain warmth in the night created from the heated mats.

Used in this manner and with a realistic understanding of what to expect from plastic products, this is great. If you want a wind sturdy greenhouse, you need to either build one out of PVC and wood or buy a steel framed greenhouse or a 2'x4' wood stud greenhouse.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, April 12, 2010
This review is from: Gardman R687 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse (Lawn & Patio)
This was a pretty good purchase, until i found out that Lowes carried a similar product that happened to be sturdier. Shipping was pretty quick. Assembly was a breeze. But definitely check your local Lowes or HD before committing to this product. Like I said, its a good shelf, but it could be a little more stable and sturdier. Also the plastic seems a little thin to weather the elements down here (i live in Florida), but i guess we'll see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a real greenhouse, but works on the same principle, March 17, 2010
This review is from: Gardman R687 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse (Lawn & Patio)
Although the construction of this "greenhouse" is somewhat flimsy, with 1/2" metal tubular supports and wire shelves, it works well as a temporary shelter/space for plants, as long as you don't expect to keep plants warm during frosty nights. I use mine indoors during the end of winter for starting seeds, then move it outside as the weather gets better.

This shelving unit comes with a plastic tent with a zippered door that fits over the frame; the door can be rolled up to cool the interior or to access the plants. Because the tent is relatively thin plastic (think suit-bag on steroids) and not glass, it heats up in the sunlight but immediately loses its heat as the sun sets, unlike greenhouses that are flush to the ground and have thicker glass/plastic walls to retain the heat longer. If you still have temperatures in the thirties or forties at night and expect to grow warm weather plants like tomatoes outside, use plant heating pads or keep the unit inside until you can be sure that the cold nights won't stunt the plants. If you do get an unexpected light frost, however, the plastic works like a row cover, keeping frost from the leaves. If using outside, place it in a protected spot or anchor it in some fashion -- preferably both. Even loaded with plants, the unit can blow over, especially with the tent in place since it can act like a sail.

With the plastic in place, the top shelf is difficult to access, particularly toward the back because rolled-up the tent door and overhang get in the way. The other three shelves (12-13" between each) have plenty of clearance, and all four have room for 2-3 large seed trays. Grow lights (not included) can be attached without much effort, provided, of course, that they are the right size. The wire shelves are not attached to the frame - they sit on top of the cross-supports - but will stay in place during light winds as long as plants are on them.

As long as you don't expect heavy-duty construction and heat retainment for cold nights, this shelving unit should serve well for seed starting or even for a display of small plants. I don't find it attractive enough for a permanent plant stand for inside the house, but luckily it's lightweight enough to easily move around and store. I find this perfect for starting my garden indoors and then using it to harden off my plants.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann

5.0 out of 5 stars 4-Tier Greenhouse, September 8, 2007
I was very pleased with the product as I am an avid gardener and raise most all plants from seed and the stand is perfect for my seedlings to grow before transplant. I saw the exact same stand advertised on a gardening catalog for $99. I saved $40 which is fine by me!
Ted(Pembroke Pines, Fl)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for the price., November 2, 2008
Paul Pocavich (Palmyra, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gardman R687 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse (Lawn & Patio)
This greenouse goes together in about 10 minutes with no tools as the descriptions says. It's not the sturdiest frame but it should support small plants like those pictured. I added my own wire ties between the shelves and frame to stiffen it up a bit. I don't know what the "fleece cover" business was about in the description because it comes with a clear plastic cover with a zippered door which should last several years. I will need to anchor it some way to keep it from blowing over in the wind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly good!, March 20, 2011
This review is from: Gardman R687 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse (Lawn & Patio)
So I ordered two of these a few months back because I moved from New Mexico to the south and into an apartment, and I desperately missed my hot peppers and green chiles. I hooked up cheap growlights on the inside for other stuff I was growing, and ALL of my plants have turned out amazing, including my peppers! It definitely helped with keeping my plants going during the cold ass winter, and starting them early for spring. They are also sturdy enough that my two cats climb up and down them pretty often, and they have never tipped over. I was worried they might cause one of my cats is rather chubby, but it's to a point were I don't even have to worry about it falling over. For the casual grower, or someone stuck in an apartment with limited space, these are great!

Gardman R687 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse