Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Size: 16-Foot|Change

on December 20, 2008
I just had a new shingled roof put on last summer, so I wanted to make sure that I got a rake that would not damage it when removing snow. I live in the mountains of Maine, so snow is a pretty common event during the winter. After reading the reveiws of this rake, I decided that this would be the best rake for the job. The first thing I did before I assembled it was, replace the nuts, bolts, and washers with stainless steel. This costs less than $4. Some of the other reveiws complained of the originals. Cheap Fix! After using it a half dozen times, I can say that I made the right choice for a rake. Very well built, lightweight, and rugged! I would like to point out that, The proper way to roof rake is NOT to wait until you get three feet of snow accumulation,from several storms, with ice dams already present. If you use this rake the way it is intended, It should last a lifetime.
33 comments| 210 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2010
I bought this snow rake because I had just installed new shingles and did not want to rake the sand coating off the shingles when removing the snow. This is exactly what I needed: An effective, right-size (24"), light aluminum but well-built rake, lots of handle length (up to 21 feet in 5 foot increments), correctly contoured to "catch" snow for removal, AND TWO ROLLERS THAT KEEP THE CUTTING EDGE OFF THE NEW SHINGLES so I don't rake the eave troughs full of sand in just a couple of snow removals, ruining my shingles in the process. Wish I could have had this thing 40 years ago.
DON'T::: 1.--wait too long to remove snow. If there is melting, re-freezing and hardened snow crusts, you'll beat this (and any snow rake) to pieces trying to remove "snow". This is a snow rake, not an ice rake. 2.--(don't)try to move too much snow in a single rake stroke. That is hard on the rake, to say nothing about hard on yourself. Take reasonable sized bites, oftener, and you'll enjoy cleaning your roof without killing yourself. 3.--(don't)pull the rake straight down the roof line, but pull slightly diagonally so that one end of the rake clears the roof before the other and this AVOIDS the entire bottom rake edge from falling into the eave trough, hooking it and possibly damaging it.
Another thing I really like is that with just a bit smaller bites, I find I can "steer" where the snow lands by accelerating the pull in the direction I want the snow to land, for example, beyond a bush, or even a front step.
I love this product in spite of the fact that I have a quite a bit of work connected with it: 168 feet of roof line to contend with.

Enjoy! A.V. Edgerton, MN
22 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2009
I got this and used this today to work all around my two story home that has multiple levels and multiple gables around windows etc. Forecast has freezing rain for tonite and rain for tomorrow. With 2 feet of snow all over the roof and snow hanging over the gutters, time to get it off the roof and gutters before this comes. The rake came with both lock washers and lock nuts. I don't see these going anywhere. Assembly was a breeze. I recommend using a screwdriver to hold the slot in the wheels open as you push them onto the blade, that makes it a lot easier than trying to push them on without one which seemed impossible to do. Last week here in WI we received 18 inches of snow. With drifting I had many areas in excess of 2 feet on the roof. This was able to knock week old snow crusted down with no problem. You'll see someone who rated this rake poorly in 2007 and was also using it to pull ice off the roof etc. This is made to pull snow down not to be used as an ice scraper which of course would put too much stress on it. It's made of Al to be lite weight so you can lift it and as such it won't be rugged, common sense is required when using this. I had no problem moving 1 foot wide by 2 foot deep section off the roof. Little pulling is required and if you are feeling resistance when pulling you are trying to move too much at once. If you can, start on the top roof first if you have a 2 story. I made the mistake of doing the lower levels and then moving to the upper. By the time I got up there I could barely lift the thing way up there as my left shoulder was pretty worn out. It's best to lift it up further away from the house and then walk towards the house as you lower it. No problem getting this to land pretty much where I wanted it. It does bend a bit when all sections are used but still no issues. After clearing the snow there is still a very thin layer of snow on the roof and no signs that the shingles were touched. I'm actually looking forward to doing the roof again and will no longer need to climb a ladder in front of the garage with a plastic snow shovel to clear part of it. NEVER USE NEAR POWER LINES. I don't care how careful you are, don't even come close to any power coming into your home or outside. When you are moving this around, the pole is 21 feet long but 16 most of the time and it will go places you aren't intending, also keep children out of the area as you could easily hit them with the end of the handle as you are using it and they walk behind you...like my Samantha did but luckily I saw here and told her to leave the area. 21ft only got me about 1 1/2 feet onto the upper level due to other areas on the home the come out away from the front. My house is not close to a box shape and has many corners but I believe this got to the areas I needed to. Just lifted a pot of noodles off the stove...my left shoulder is killing me, I guess it's time to start working out again. If you have a lot of snow on your roof like I did and have many levels, you may not want to tackle it all at once to save your body and in case you are not in the best shape. I completed my roof in less than an hour including shoveling and snow blowing the huge pile of snow that landed on the driveway. Enjoy, I researched these for about 3 weeks and kept coming back to this model and the weather caused me to pull the trigger. Just do it!
66 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2008
I recently purchased this item in an attempt to prevent further ice dam issues I was having with the heavy Wisconsin snow of the winter of '07-'08. This product was in the range of the best price I was able to find. It worked very well to rake pretty much all of my back roof (~9' high at gutter) and the extensions were enough to get the important first 5' of my front roof (~15' high at gutter). It also has the nice rollers to protect shingles and is constructed of aluminum making it light in weight and rust free. If you have ice dam problems or a persistent large amount of snow on your roof a roof rake is essential. Please note that it does not include tarp thing to pull snow away from foundation, if that's important to you.
on February 17, 2008
It works just fine. I hadn't expected to get a workout in my shoulders like I do when I use it, but it's certainly capable of pulling snow off the edge of the roof. Assembly only took a few minutes using the instructions printed on the box it came shipped in. Nothing spectacular, but it works just fine.
on February 27, 2015
This roof rake is simple and very effective. It does a good job of avoiding pulling down any roof tiles. It is lightweight but can still be a bit awkward to lift up on top of your roof because it is so long, a second person makes it a lot easier. I would actually put up the head on the roof and then add more extensions to the pole while getting it up higher on the roof. One thing that does make getting the snow off the roof tough with this tool is when the snow is "sticky". It can stick to the head of the rake and makes it heavy. Too heavy to re position on the roof easily to keep shoveling. You kinda have to lift it up and let it drop on your roof with a little force to get the snow to fall off, then you can keep cleaning. Overall, I am very happy with this roof rake, I actually ordered a 2nd 16 foot version to have that much more length and really finish my roof now.
review image
on February 21, 2007
I picked this snow rake up from my local Ace; it was the last one for 20 miles. It does the job, but within the three days I've had to fix it multiple times. Both of the bolts on the diagonal supports that come off the main pole have broken off and have had to be replaced by decent ones from my local hardware store along with some lock-nuts (these have stayed on). The blade of the rake has a bend in it where I pulled on some ice trying to break it free. The rubber grip comes off if you pull on it alone.

Seeing how expensive roof rakes are, you'd figure Garelick would spring for an extra buck in the construction phase and put better nuts and bolts on it -- that alone would have raised my rating a star or two.

After the repairs (which cost me just about a buck) it does it's job of getting snow off the my roof, so I can't complain **too** much.
55 comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2010
I bought a roof rake for my father a few years ago, and he modified it with some hoops so it wouldn't snag shingles. When I saw the little wheels on this one, I was delighted someone had thought to build that into the rake. I had a chance to use it, and the wheels really do spin. The rake works great, is strong and stable. And I was happy to see its made in the USA.
on February 6, 2011
When I got this I was surprised about how light it was and thought it would break since I have about 2 feet of snow on my roof. The rake was easy to assemble and pulled a lot of snow down. I was able to reach almost all the way to the peak and feel a lot better now. When totally put together it was very light and was easy to reach and even held up to some hard pulling of really crusty snow. This may not be the fanciest rake out there, but it exceeded my expectations and is well worth the money.
on February 5, 2012
If you've learned to hate ice dams as much as I do, then you will like this product. I have lots of nit-picks, but this is definitely getting the job done and the price point was great.

Tips:

This is a snow rake, not an ice scrapper. Once you let the ice start, you'll need a different tool.

You'll be alarmed at how much the fully extended pole bends/curves. Relax. The pole is sturdier than it appears. I'm sure it will not hold up to any real abuse, but I've had no trouble yet.

Know where your vent pipes are. I'm sure the rake would break before the vent, but it would still be inconvenient.

Be aware of what is behind you as you pull the snow down. You will undoubtedly jab something with the pole a few times before you get the hang of it.

I had to install the rubber handle myself. Don't bother. The aluminum poles get very cold so you WILL be wearing gloves, making the handle superfluous.

The little plastic wheels do not always turn very well, but they do easily slide across the shingles. Just do not let one of them drop over the gable edge of your roof or the blade will be scrapping the edges of your shingles.

One time, I triggered an avalanche on my roof. All I hurt was my pride, but I'm more wary now as a result.

Like I said, a few nit-picks. But trust me, a few nit-picks are far more pleasant than an ice dam. I'm very happy with this purchase.