4.0 out of 5 stars Functional and Affordable
Published on January 22, 2008 by J. Papez

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money
Published 24 months ago by pgmr

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional and Affordable, January 22, 2008
This review is from: Garelick 89416 16-Foot Aluminum Snow Roof Rake With 7-Inch by 24-Inch Blade (Lawn & Patio)
I recently purchased this item in an attempt to prevent further ice dam issues I was having with the heavy Wisconsin snow of the winter of '07-'08. This product was in the range of the best price I was able to find. It worked very well to rake pretty much all of my back roof (~9' high at gutter) and the extensions were enough to get the important first 5' of my front roof (~15' high at gutter). It also has the nice rollers to protect shingles and is constructed of aluminum making it light in weight and rust free. If you have ice dam problems or a persistent large amount of snow on your roof a roof rake is essential. Please note that it does not include tarp thing to pull snow away from foundation, if that's important to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars a roof rake is a roof rake, February 17, 2008
It works just fine. I hadn't expected to get a workout in my shoulders like I do when I use it, but it's certainly capable of pulling snow off the edge of the roof. Assembly only took a few minutes using the instructions printed on the box it came shipped in. Nothing spectacular, but it works just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great roof rake, January 22, 2010
I bought a roof rake for my father a few years ago, and he modified it with some hoops so it wouldn't snag shingles. When I saw the little wheels on this one, I was delighted someone had thought to build that into the rake. I had a chance to use it, and the wheels really do spin. The rake works great, is strong and stable. And I was happy to see its made in the USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, February 6, 2011
When I got this I was surprised about how light it was and thought it would break since I have about 2 feet of snow on my roof. The rake was easy to assemble and pulled a lot of snow down. I was able to reach almost all the way to the peak and feel a lot better now. When totally put together it was very light and was easy to reach and even held up to some hard pulling of really crusty snow. This may not be the fanciest rake out there, but it exceeded my expectations and is well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, February 4, 2011
Very happy with this purchase. Lightweight but yet sturdy. The rollers are a great feature and work well to keep the metal blade from scraping the roof shingles. Assembly was quick and easy. I ended up putting it together without the instructions because I didn't realize they were printed on the inside of the cardboard box until I cut it up for recycling.

5.0 out of 5 stars no dams 4 me, February 4, 2011
I have a ranch style house between Buffalo and Niagara Falls, NY. Boy does it snow!! The rake works great for me with only one extension needed. I did exchange one nut & bolt as suggested by other reviewers (I thank them for the advice). The wheels on the rake are a must for my asplalt shingles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garelick Roof Rake, January 10, 2009
just bought mine to Rake Roof on my house..would highly Recommend E Z to use wheels help so you Don't break shingles.

5.0 out of 5 stars best snow rake, March 3, 2011
I rate this Garelick snow rake as the best for removing snow on the market. I have one that I thought was the best; but this Garelick is better by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wheels ingenious. Need nylon lock nuts., February 10, 2011
The wheels are ingenious to prevent scaping damage to shingles.
The first time I used it on my two story house, the nuts on the lateral supports loosened and fell off, resulting in slight bending and a small tear in the aluminum where the main pole inserts. Like any equipment that is prone to fore or vibration, I should have assembled it with nylon lock nuts instead of the nuts originally supplied. (Harbor Freight sells boxes of nylon lock nuts really cheap.)
I got an additional 4th pole extension to reach the second story - worked great despite the curving of the long pole.
I was pleasantly surprised at how relatively light and precise you could work this snow roof rake. (It will still give you a good work out though because of the torque associated with working with such a long pole.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, December 26, 2012
1. Cheap parts: I had a difficult time attaching the hard, plastic rollers to the rake. I finally got them on, but they don't spin freely even if I spin them with my hand. I tried rolling the rake on the garage floor and the rollers barely budged. They are the same length as the slot they fit into on the rake so there is friction when the rollers turn. Also, the center hole going the length of the roller is the same diameter as the metal piece it spins around so more friction. I tried filing them down a little but it's just cheap junk and no way do these things roll on shingles.
2. The rake comes with 3 poles/extensions but they all are the same diameter so they don't slide to fit inside one another for easy storage. You have to take the pieces apart.
3. The rake is all metal and with sharp edges. It would have been better if the bottom edge was rounded or had a rubber or plastic edge with rounded corners. If you don't lay down the rake exactly evenly, that is, if the rake lands on the roof with the left corner first or something, it could easily gouge a shingle due to the metal edges/corners.
4. Three extensions sounds good for a far reach up the roof but it is so long that it becomes quite unwieldy and it tends to bow or bend.
5. BE CAREFUL NOT TO LET THE RAKE GET TOO CLOSE TO YOUR GUTTER!
Bottom line: It will take some snow of the roof but it's sure not worth the money and I wonder how much damage it is doing to my shingles.