Top positive review
65 people found this helpful
[STRATEGY TIPS] Fun game, challenging, with minor issues
on April 26, 2012
[Strategy tips below and in comments]
As a life-long Garfield fan, and someone who enjoys tower defense games, I was excited to see this available in the Appstore, but apprehensive because Garfield games usually suck. So I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and level of polish shown in this game. It is addictive, especially since I want to earn my cookies and not buy them. The gameplay, animation, and sound are all solid.
I have the following complaints, in order of severity:
1. The game crashed one time during gameplay (when I plugged my phone into my computer) and got jacked up. The icon disappeared from my app drawer, and when I tried to open it via other means, the system told me it was not installed (even though the Appstore said otherwise). Fortunately, when I ran Titanium Backup (my phone is rooted) to try to backup the app's data before uninstalling, that process magically restored the app to working order.
2. The touchscreen occasionally "sticks" and causes Garfield to continue running long after taking my finger off the screen, as noted in other reviews.
3. There is very little instruction provided regarding the gameplay, powerups, friends, etc.
4. There is no way to downgrade after upgrading.
5. The audio gets repetitive.
6. Starting around level 19 (for me) the difficulty jumps, and the game's push to sell cookies for $$$ becomes apparent. Obviously (although many reviewers don't grasp this point), the game needs a revenue stream, so I'm fine with that. But the cookies are surprisingly expensive and I don't see myself purchasing them anytime soon.
Here are my strategy tips, which have allowed me to reach level 22 as I'm writing this review. Not sure if that's good or not. :D Share your own strategy tips in the comments for this review (not visible via Appstore -- you need to be on Amazon.com to view/post comments).
- Nermal's health vs. cost is so much better than the other friends that he is the only one I upgrade and use when playing.
- I fight solo until I save up 30 popcorn, then I upgrade the popcorn machine once before starting to deploy friends (Nermals).
- My main upgrades are to Garfield (level 6 currently), Nermal (level 7), and the Boxing Glove (level 5). I have also upgraded the Fridge (level 2) and Toy Plane (level 3), and bought the Rolling Pin and Squeak.
- I upgraded the Trumpet (level 4) but was disappointed with it. A) It does not seem to heal Garfield - only friends. B) It summons other friends, but most of them are useless because I have only upgraded Nermal. I'm not saying it couldn't be a useful Special Attach; it's just not useful to me because of my strategy with Nermal.
- It took me 15-20 attempts to get through level 21. I finally broke through when... actually I'll save this tip for the comments, to see if we can get a discussion going first... :)