5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin 160C Fishfinder

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst one I ever owned
Published on June 8, 2010 by Pat

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin 160C Fishfinder, June 9, 2008
This review is from: Garmin Fishfinder 160C (Electronics)
I have used the [ASIN:B000ETTPCG Garmin 160C Portable Fishfinder (Dual Beam)]Garmin 160C several times now and find that it is quite easy to use and it works well not only locating fish but the constant depth reading has saved my boat being hung up in shallow water areas where I fish. The optional audible alarm that I added was a plus as well so you can hear the warning of fish and depth audibly as well as see on the screen both fish and water depth situations.

Great item for the low cost!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best depth/fish finder we've had, August 25, 2009
This review is from: Garmin Fishfinder 160C (Electronics)
We've had other brands of depth finders. This one is the best we've had! The color screen is much easier to see and the depth readings are consistent. It functions well even though we put it in the hull with epoxy. The other brand would fluctuate. We have not had too much experience with the fish finder yet. Just be careful of one thing. We were not aware that when you press the off button it first dims the screen. We thought it was off during the day and since it was just dimmed, the next time we went to our boat the battery was dead!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst one I ever owned, June 8, 2010
This review is from: Garmin Fishfinder 160C (Electronics)
This is without a doubt the worst fish/depth finder I have ever owned. The depth gage changes so slow, you can go from 100' to 1' and be agroundand it will still be at 100'. If you fish in three feet of water for ten minutes and than move out to four feet, you actually have to shut the unit off and turn it back on for it to change depths. I'm sure I've had it to long to return (two months) but I can't wait to replace it. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable - freezes frequently, July 10, 2010
This review is from: Garmin Fishfinder 160C (Electronics)
Got one of these a couple of weeks ago. Firstly I've found the fish-finding less than impressive, though this is my first fishfinder, so wasn't sure what to expect and I imagine it's as good as others in that respect.

My main gripe with the fish-finding is it gives you no direction as to where the fish are. Behind you, in front, to the left of the boat, the right..? No idea, just 'There's fish around here, somewhere.'

My BIG concern however is that the unit frequently freezes up.

I primarily use it as a depth finder, as there are many shallow areas around the coast here and on the river to it. At the wrong time of day you can easily get stuck in certain places, so was really looking forward to getting this.

Generally it works but I relied on it while exploring further up the coast than we normally go. "41 feet....41 feet... 41 feet.."

We ploughed into sandy mud in water less than four feet, not forty one.

Yes, we had a chart, yes I knew there was a shallow area nearby; that's why I kept checking the depth to ensure we didn't get too near it, without taking a much longer route.

Happily I was able to immediately turn on full lock while raising the engine, tilting the boat over and lifting the engine at the same time, and we managed to claw our way off. Had we been stuck we would have been really stuck, 2 miles offshore, with the boat tipping over as the tide receded - before coming back.

In inaccurate map is worse than useless - and an inaccurate depth finder is dangerous.

I've given it only one star, with an extra one because the screen is great and it's simple to operate. The instability of the software however is a serious concern.

Since that incident it has done the same thing twice more, freezing up. Turning it off and back on fixes it - but be aware it takes around 30 seconds to start up and figure out the depth again.

Overall I'd say it's better than nothing but do NOT rely on it to give continous depth readings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Product!, November 7, 2009
This review is from: Garmin Fishfinder 160C (Electronics)
Being a female.. and a proud new boat owner.. I was so excited to get this depth finder... it tells you the speed (additional wiring needed).. and the color graphics can be tweeked to your liking! An Absolute easy and must have for boaters/fisherman!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, May 9, 2011
This review is from: Garmin Fishfinder 160C (Electronics)
I installed this device on my boat and went out to the lake. We caught 15 Rainbow trout in 3 hours. We found plenty of fish using the this fish finder. The scroll rate was plenty fast. We noticed it could not read at high speeds but that is normal for a device in this price range. Overall i am very satisfied. I read the previous negative reviews and was wary on buying this item. Some people are never satisfied and I would recommend ignoring the negative reviews posted for this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmon 160C - A fish finding machine, August 28, 2010
This review is from: Garmin Fishfinder 160C (Electronics)
Excellent clarity, easy to use. Caught 29 kokanee the first time I used it. My last Garmon lasted 15 years - this one looks like it will go the distance as well. Highly recommend for the average fisherman at a reasonable price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, December 17, 2009
This review is from: Garmin Fishfinder 160C (Electronics)
Good no-frills, middle of the line fishfinder. Good all around value for the price point.

3.0 out of 5 stars works well., February 3, 2013
This review is from: Garmin Fishfinder 160C (Electronics)
Its my first "Fish Finder" experience, had it on the boat for a couple years now, seems to work well. Back lit screen does great in full daylight. i like it. mounted it on my old 1970's boat, works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fish Finder, September 23, 2011
This review is from: Garmin Fishfinder 160C (Electronics)
Clarity and color is amazing. Reads the depth at my full throttle. I havent really fished with it yet, but to me the depth reading is most important.

Garmin Fishfinder 160C