5.0 out of 5 stars Nice for a little added protection...
Published on January 2, 2002 by E. Dickmann

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, but not all that useful.
Published on June 14, 2001 by Jamie Zelazny

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice for a little added protection..., January 2, 2002
E. Dickmann (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin eTrex Carrying Case (Electronics)
The Garmin Carry Case is a nice addition to the eTrex GPS. The case is well made and covers most of the unit with its protective material. The buttons on both sides of the GPS are exposed and easy to access and the click stick is also exposed and easy to access (contrary to another reviewer's comments). There is a belt clip and metal loop on the back to help fasten the unit however you want. Overall, if you're like me and prefer to keep your toys clean and unscratched, the Garmin Carry Case is for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, but not all that useful., June 14, 2001
This review is from: Garmin eTrex Carrying Case (Electronics)
This is a good, quality accessory from Garmin. I think it's best feature is the belt-clip. It does a good job of keeping dirt and scratches off your already durable eTrex, too; and makes it not so YELLOW. (which can be good or bad) My complaints are that the button holes become misaligned occasionally and make it a little harder to push the buttons. I think if the case fit a little tighter, it would help address that problem. Also, the plastic cover over the screen can cause extra glare. The eTrex is rugged enough that this is an unnecessary accessory, unless you need a belt-clip or want your GPS to stay bright and clean.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but not perfect, January 27, 2001
This review is from: Garmin eTrex Carrying Case (Electronics)
This is a really nice way to protect a Garmin eTrex from such hazards as scratches, dirt, oils in your hand, etc. It does have one minor flaw, though - it reduces the satellite signal strength a bit, so you have to take it off when reception becomes marginal.

2.0 out of 5 stars Makes the GPS hard to read, March 5, 2006
Joel Tesler (Silicon Valley CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin eTrex Carrying Case (Electronics)
The case has a plastic window over the GPS display. Unfortunately, it makes the GPS harder to read, especially if the light is not ideal. Also, the window is a little too small, and tends to cover the top of the screen. Since two of the main menus are at the top of the screen, this is a problem. Although I would like the protection provided by the case, I find I can't use it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite right for the Etrex Vista..., May 10, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Garmin eTrex Carrying Case (Electronics)
This case is a great way to carry my Etrex Vista unit around in. It protects the screen with a plastic film, and has button holes that line up perfectly down the sides for my GPS unit. The belt clip makes it easy to carry while hiking as well.
My complaint with the item is that there seems to be no easy way to use the "click stick" when it's in the case. Also, the Vista is mostly rubber on it's exterior, and sliding it in and out of the case is sometimes an excercise. I still recommend it if you are planning on carrying your GPS around and want to keep the screen safe.

4.0 out of 5 stars good covergae, screen cover has too much glare, June 7, 2003
Sherman (Fremont, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin eTrex Carrying Case (Electronics)
this is a perfectly designed case for the etrex legend. Joystick is easily accessible, it fits snug, and the belt clip is nice and secure. My only complaint is the plastic window to protect the LCD. It's pretty thick and seems like it scratches pretty easily and makes the LCD more difficult to read with the heavy glare. Otherwise, it's a good thing to have to protect your GPS from invetible drops and abrasion.

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK case, December 16, 2005
Scott R. (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin eTrex Carrying Case (Electronics)
This review applies specifically for use with the Vista C, which has a slightly different form than the other eTrex series or summit. Currently, this is the best case out there for this GPS; unfortunately, that's not saying very much.

1) By far the biggest drawback is that the left and right sides of the upper forty-percent of the case are basically unprotected. One day, I had the case clipped to my belt (see item #3, below) and as I walked to my car, I reached into my pocket for my keys. This knocked the GPS from my belt and onto the pavement. The GPS was dinged on its top-right corner (the plastic pockmarked). Considering I'd had the thing for less than two weeks, this was irksome. Partly just bad luck in how it fell, but the case should have protected it better.

2) The bottom of the side opening impinges upon the lower buttons. You can see that with the current product photos here on Amazon (especially with the view from behind). However, the picture doesn't show a Vista C; the case rides up another millimeter or two with the C.

3) the clip consists of a vinyl-coated metal clasp that holds on by friction only. It basically requires two hands to attach (one to hold the belt), but comes off very easily--too easily. See problem #1. Once, I thought I'd lost the GPS; fortunately, it had fallen off of my belt while I was still in my car.

4) the display window is quite reflective, and it's a little too small for the Vista's display, obscuring it a little on the sides (a problem Garmin acknowledged when I emailed them). This is even more of a problem if used indoors (i.e., transferring waypoints) or in dim lightl; I have to remove the GPS from the case under such circumstances.

Is the case better than nothing? Yep. And it's pretty cheap, too. For the price, it's OK, but it is imperfect at best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to get past the glare, April 10, 2006
This review is from: Garmin eTrex Carrying Case (Electronics)
I like to take care of my stuff. So, when I got a shiny new eTrex Legend, I went looking for a case for it post-haste. This case came in at a reasonable dollar amount and seemed to be reviewed fairly well. However, in retrospect, I should have paid greater attention to the warnings about the glare off the plastic screen cover.

The overall construction of this case is great. About what you should expect out of a $15 neoprene case. The fit is nice, the belt clip is decent, and the style is well beyond anything in my wardrobe.

However, the cover for the screen is miserable. In the 6+ months that I had and used this case, there were more times when I couldn't see the screen than when I could. As time wore on, the screen protector began to get a little scuffed and the situation only worsened.

The best solution for keeping this case and a functional GPSr is to cut out the vinyl screen cover and use seperate screen protectors on the GPSr itself. This worked well for me for quite some time. However, I found another case ([...]) which suited my needs better and gave this case away.

3 out of 5 stars - The overall construction is pretty decent. However, I recommend that you DO NOT underestimate the screen protection glare. It is certainly a hurdle in buying/owning this case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, October 17, 2001
This review is from: Garmin eTrex Carrying Case (Electronics)
This little case cover does the job. The best feature is the clear plastic front that protects the LCD screen. The belt clip on the back is somewhat useful, but I've found that it clips better to a shoulder strap on a backpack better than on a belt loop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy!, May 30, 2002
This review is from: Garmin eTrex Carrying Case (Electronics)
Besides being useful for protection, I found another use for the velcro on the case. I stuck a piece of velcro to my car's dashboard and opened up the flap on the case and stuck it there. Voila! My Garmin now stays put while driving.
My only complaint is that sometimes it's difficult to read the screen through the plastic, but I guess that's the price you must pay for having something covering the screen.

Garmin eTrex Carrying Case