Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 2, 2002
The Garmin Carry Case is a nice addition to the eTrex GPS. The case is well made and covers most of the unit with its protective material. The buttons on both sides of the GPS are exposed and easy to access and the click stick is also exposed and easy to access (contrary to another reviewer's comments). There is a belt clip and metal loop on the back to help fasten the unit however you want. Overall, if you're like me and prefer to keep your toys clean and unscratched, the Garmin Carry Case is for you.
on January 27, 2001
This is a really nice way to protect a Garmin eTrex from such hazards as scratches, dirt, oils in your hand, etc. It does have one minor flaw, though - it reduces the satellite signal strength a bit, so you have to take it off when reception becomes marginal.
on June 14, 2001
This is a good, quality accessory from Garmin. I think it's best feature is the belt-clip. It does a good job of keeping dirt and scratches off your already durable eTrex, too; and makes it not so YELLOW. (which can be good or bad) My complaints are that the button holes become misaligned occasionally and make it a little harder to push the buttons. I think if the case fit a little tighter, it would help address that problem. Also, the plastic cover over the screen can cause extra glare. The eTrex is rugged enough that this is an unnecessary accessory, unless you need a belt-clip or want your GPS to stay bright and clean.
on March 5, 2006
The case has a plastic window over the GPS display. Unfortunately, it makes the GPS harder to read, especially if the light is not ideal. Also, the window is a little too small, and tends to cover the top of the screen. Since two of the main menus are at the top of the screen, this is a problem. Although I would like the protection provided by the case, I find I can't use it.
on January 31, 2014
I sent the first one back thinking, "This can't be right." Got the replacement quickly (gotta love Amazon!) only to find that the first one wasn't defective; it's a badly designed lousy fit. First, the hook-and-loop closure attaches on the inside of the case instead of wrapping over the top and attaching on the back, reducing it's strength considerably. Furthermore, it leaves an half inch gap between the top of my eTrex 20 and the strap. I noticed on the package that it's sold to fit five different Garmin units, which suggests that maybe the one-size-fits-all approach isn't working in this case.
review image review image
on June 10, 2012
I bought this for a Garmin eTrex 30.

What I like:
1. Neoprene material seems durable as does the piping on the edges.
2. Built in clip on the back works great and is sturdy

What I don't like:

1. The shape of the cover gives access to the navigation button on the front of the eTrex. At first I thought it was a bit awkward because the cover is right next to the button, but actually worked fine out in the wild. It fits reasonably well, though could be a bit tighter.
2. The hole at the bottom of the case does not line up with the lanyard loop on bottom of the eTrex. Again, nothing major, just a fit and finish detail.
3. The clear plastic screen cover will fog up if any water gets in (which happens frequently in the Pac NW). I typically have to pull it out of the case to see the screen clearly. This is annoying.
4. Velcro - the most overrated outdoor fastener. Eventually, like all Velcro/Hook & Loop fasteners, this one too will fray to the point of needing replacement.

Overall it gets the job done. In retrospect, probably would have purchased the Garmin hard platsic clip that attaches on back of the eTrex and get a screen protector film to avoid scratching the screen. The Garmin clip looks like it would have made for a lower profile, and would have avoided the whole screen fogging dilemma.

For notes on how I use the case: I keep a lanyard on my eTrex and hook it to a shoulder strap loop on my Camelback Fourteener. I swapped the lanyard from an old camera. It is about 8 inches long, which is perfect length to unhook for a quick bearing during a hike. I really like this setup so have included a photo for reference in the product detail page. Happy hiking!
review image
on May 10, 2001
This case is a great way to carry my Etrex Vista unit around in. It protects the screen with a plastic film, and has button holes that line up perfectly down the sides for my GPS unit. The belt clip makes it easy to carry while hiking as well.
My complaint with the item is that there seems to be no easy way to use the "click stick" when it's in the case. Also, the Vista is mostly rubber on it's exterior, and sliding it in and out of the case is sometimes an excercise. I still recommend it if you are planning on carrying your GPS around and want to keep the screen safe.
on December 16, 2005
This review applies specifically for use with the Vista C, which has a slightly different form than the other eTrex series or summit. Currently, this is the best case out there for this GPS; unfortunately, that's not saying very much.

1) By far the biggest drawback is that the left and right sides of the upper forty-percent of the case are basically unprotected. One day, I had the case clipped to my belt (see item #3, below) and as I walked to my car, I reached into my pocket for my keys. This knocked the GPS from my belt and onto the pavement. The GPS was dinged on its top-right corner (the plastic pockmarked). Considering I'd had the thing for less than two weeks, this was irksome. Partly just bad luck in how it fell, but the case should have protected it better.

2) The bottom of the side opening impinges upon the lower buttons. You can see that with the current product photos here on Amazon (especially with the view from behind). However, the picture doesn't show a Vista C; the case rides up another millimeter or two with the C.

3) the clip consists of a vinyl-coated metal clasp that holds on by friction only. It basically requires two hands to attach (one to hold the belt), but comes off very easily--too easily. See problem #1. Once, I thought I'd lost the GPS; fortunately, it had fallen off of my belt while I was still in my car.

4) the display window is quite reflective, and it's a little too small for the Vista's display, obscuring it a little on the sides (a problem Garmin acknowledged when I emailed them). This is even more of a problem if used indoors (i.e., transferring waypoints) or in dim lightl; I have to remove the GPS from the case under such circumstances.

Is the case better than nothing? Yep. And it's pretty cheap, too. For the price, it's OK, but it is imperfect at best.
on April 10, 2006
I like to take care of my stuff. So, when I got a shiny new eTrex Legend, I went looking for a case for it post-haste. This case came in at a reasonable dollar amount and seemed to be reviewed fairly well. However, in retrospect, I should have paid greater attention to the warnings about the glare off the plastic screen cover.

The overall construction of this case is great. About what you should expect out of a $15 neoprene case. The fit is nice, the belt clip is decent, and the style is well beyond anything in my wardrobe.

However, the cover for the screen is miserable. In the 6+ months that I had and used this case, there were more times when I couldn't see the screen than when I could. As time wore on, the screen protector began to get a little scuffed and the situation only worsened.

The best solution for keeping this case and a functional GPSr is to cut out the vinyl screen cover and use seperate screen protectors on the GPSr itself. This worked well for me for quite some time. However, I found another case ([...]) which suited my needs better and gave this case away.

3 out of 5 stars - The overall construction is pretty decent. However, I recommend that you DO NOT underestimate the screen protection glare. It is certainly a hurdle in buying/owning this case.
on June 7, 2003
this is a perfectly designed case for the etrex legend. Joystick is easily accessible, it fits snug, and the belt clip is nice and secure. My only complaint is the plastic window to protect the LCD. It's pretty thick and seems like it scratches pretty easily and makes the LCD more difficult to read with the heavy glare. Otherwise, it's a good thing to have to protect your GPS from invetible drops and abrasion.