5.0 out of 5 stars Clip works great

Published on June 27, 2012 by WoodRat

2.0 out of 5 stars Use a small zip tie and swivel instead, June 27, 2012
WoodRat (SF Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Carabiner clip (Sports)
I usually just want a quick glance at the GPSr and do not want to unclip the unit just to check a reading. I think the reason Garmin made this clip the way they did is because of the direction the GPSr slides into the holder. But, this product hangs the GPSr the wrong way in my opinion, so I just used a small zip tie instead. I zip tied a small swivel to the bottom of the GPSr and now I can attach either a split ring w/carabiner or a lanyard based on how I'm using the unit. An inexpensive and clean solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clip works great, June 30, 2011
This review is from: Garmin Carabiner clip (Sports)
Okay, I figured I was wasting 15 bucks purchasing this clip when I knew I could just use a clip with the lanyard on my Garmin. I was wrong. I just got back from a 12-day trek in the mountains of New Mexico and I loved the way this clip allowed me to place my GPS wherever I wanted it on my backpack or my belt with no effort. The clip is super light weight, and it really helps to locate your hiking equipment where it needs to be located.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands Free GPS, June 6, 2012
This review is from: Garmin Carabiner clip (Sports)
We recently purchased the Garmin eTrex 20 GPS receiver. We've enjoyed using it for geocaching but got tired of having to carry it around while hiking through the woods. We saw this caribiner clip and thought it looked like a good solution for hands free transportation of the unit while still keeping it readily accessible. And the price was more reasonable than any of the cases/covers that were offered. It snapped on the battery cover very securely. In fact it's almost too tight a fit since it's hard to remove. The caribiner works smoothly and clipped easily onto a belt loop. It would also be large enough to fit on any backpack strap. On our most recent geocaching hike it was terrific to not have to carry the GPSr unit and when we did need it available it was quick to unclip then replace. We are pleased with this purchase and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a way to be hands free with thier GPS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be a little bit better, July 25, 2012
This review is from: Garmin Carabiner clip (Sports)
My only real complaint on this product is that when hanging from belt loop or back pack you can't easily look at the gps unit because it's upside down. If they would have engineered it to go either way it would be great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but..., May 22, 2012
This review is from: Garmin Carabiner clip (Sports)
I like this and it was well worth the money. It seems to hold quite securely and the clip is much higher quality than I would have expected.

With that said, it is upside down.

If I clip it on my belt of pack and try to pick it up I find that I am holding it upside down. The carabiner should be attached to the other end so that I could use it without having to detach it every time I want to look at it.

I will still use it and have not taken it off of the GPS since I got it and as I use mine mostly in the boat it is not as much of an issue for me as it would be if I were Geo Cashing or backpacking...

2.0 out of 5 stars Some concerns..., October 9, 2012
This review is from: Garmin Carabiner clip (Sports)
I agree with the comments which say this needs to be able to hang the GPS upside down so it's right side up when you hold it up to look at it. My other concern is that it attaches to the battery cover and one might look down to find they still have a battery cover and no GPS. If you use it, at least secure the GPS to it through the lanyard loop. You could also forgo this and use plastic coated metal fishing leader to secure the GPS to a caribiner.

1.0 out of 5 stars EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE item just to put a d-ring on, June 1, 2012
This review is from: Garmin Carabiner clip (Sports)
Garmin did their best to make it impossible to attach a carabiner or anything else to their Dakota series. But I was able to put a small split-ring through the hidden slot on the bottom and attach a carabiner to it. It cost me about $1.50. Dakotas are nice units but look for 3rd party solutions. Everything they make for them are money suckers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Carabiner Clip // Works with Garmin Etrex 20, November 11, 2011
This review is from: Garmin Carabiner clip (Sports)
I was in doubt when I order this item as I did not know if it would work with my etrex 20. I am glad it works great with my etrex unit and it is really secure fit. It is lighweight and easy to use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Clips on upside down for my needs, December 31, 2011
CTC19 (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Carabiner clip (Sports)
This is the clip that comes with the Oregon 550t - and while it *should* be a great addition, it positions the unit upside down for anything you might actually want to use it for. (If you are holding the carabiner on your finger, the device is upright, so when you hook it onto a belt loop and rotate the device toward you, it is now upside-down.) If you don't mind viewing your map in this way while you're trying to navigate to something then I suppose it might be not bother you, but that doesn't work out so well for me.

It's too bad because it is sturdy and the carabiner itself is fairly decent quality, but for me the only way it would be really useful is if it the carabiner hung off toward the bottom of the device.

3.0 out of 5 stars Think about how you're going to use it before buying., January 30, 2013
A. Auclair (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Carabiner clip (Sports)
The carabiner is solid and I have no worry about my Garmin coming off as it attaches quite strongly - it's actually very hard to take it off my device. My main complaint is that it should attach to the device in the other direction.

If you have it hooked on your belt or backpack strap you want to be able to lift it quickly and look at your device right-side-up. With this carabiner your device will be upside down as you lift it towards yourself. Definitely seems to have been designed by someone who didn't think about how it would be used practically.

With this flaw I actually haven't used the carabiner a lot since I bought it. The reason I bought it was to get at my device quickly but I'm not particularly enthused about having to learn to read and use my GPS upside down.

Garmin Carabiner clip