Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on June 27, 2012
I usually just want a quick glance at the GPSr and do not want to unclip the unit just to check a reading. I think the reason Garmin made this clip the way they did is because of the direction the GPSr slides into the holder. But, this product hangs the GPSr the wrong way in my opinion, so I just used a small zip tie instead. I zip tied a small swivel to the bottom of the GPSr and now I can attach either a split ring w/carabiner or a lanyard based on how I'm using the unit. An inexpensive and clean solution.
77 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2011
Okay, I figured I was wasting 15 bucks purchasing this clip when I knew I could just use a clip with the lanyard on my Garmin. I was wrong. I just got back from a 12-day trek in the mountains of New Mexico and I loved the way this clip allowed me to place my GPS wherever I wanted it on my backpack or my belt with no effort. The clip is super light weight, and it really helps to locate your hiking equipment where it needs to be located.
on June 6, 2012
We recently purchased the Garmin eTrex 20 GPS receiver. We've enjoyed using it for geocaching but got tired of having to carry it around while hiking through the woods. We saw this caribiner clip and thought it looked like a good solution for hands free transportation of the unit while still keeping it readily accessible. And the price was more reasonable than any of the cases/covers that were offered. It snapped on the battery cover very securely. In fact it's almost too tight a fit since it's hard to remove. The caribiner works smoothly and clipped easily onto a belt loop. It would also be large enough to fit on any backpack strap. On our most recent geocaching hike it was terrific to not have to carry the GPSr unit and when we did need it available it was quick to unclip then replace. We are pleased with this purchase and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a way to be hands free with thier GPS.
on July 25, 2012
My only real complaint on this product is that when hanging from belt loop or back pack you can't easily look at the gps unit because it's upside down. If they would have engineered it to go either way it would be great.
on October 9, 2012
I agree with the comments which say this needs to be able to hang the GPS upside down so it's right side up when you hold it up to look at it. My other concern is that it attaches to the battery cover and one might look down to find they still have a battery cover and no GPS. If you use it, at least secure the GPS to it through the lanyard loop. You could also forgo this and use plastic coated metal fishing leader to secure the GPS to a caribiner.
on May 22, 2012
I like this and it was well worth the money. It seems to hold quite securely and the clip is much higher quality than I would have expected.

With that said, it is upside down.

If I clip it on my belt of pack and try to pick it up I find that I am holding it upside down. The carabiner should be attached to the other end so that I could use it without having to detach it every time I want to look at it.

I will still use it and have not taken it off of the GPS since I got it and as I use mine mostly in the boat it is not as much of an issue for me as it would be if I were Geo Cashing or backpacking...
on November 11, 2011
I was in doubt when I order this item as I did not know if it would work with my etrex 20. I am glad it works great with my etrex unit and it is really secure fit. It is lighweight and easy to use.
on January 30, 2013
The carabiner is solid and I have no worry about my Garmin coming off as it attaches quite strongly - it's actually very hard to take it off my device. My main complaint is that it should attach to the device in the other direction.

If you have it hooked on your belt or backpack strap you want to be able to lift it quickly and look at your device right-side-up. With this carabiner your device will be upside down as you lift it towards yourself. Definitely seems to have been designed by someone who didn't think about how it would be used practically.

With this flaw I actually haven't used the carabiner a lot since I bought it. The reason I bought it was to get at my device quickly but I'm not particularly enthused about having to learn to read and use my GPS upside down.
on June 16, 2015
Hangs the eTrex's upright and can clip on a variety of things. Sturdy clip, and the nylon seam is sewn on good.

However, wished Garmin offered a clip that could hold the GPS unit *upside down*, as when in the trail this would be far easier to enter waypoints with the eTrex GPS and still keeping it attached. There is a lanyard attachment at the bottom of the eTrex for this but no official Garmin accessory offered to securely clip there
review image
on June 1, 2012
Garmin did their best to make it impossible to attach a carabiner or anything else to their Dakota series. But I was able to put a small split-ring through the hidden slot on the bottom and attach a carabiner to it. It cost me about $1.50. Dakotas are nice units but look for 3rd party solutions. Everything they make for them are money suckers.