5.0 out of 5 stars Good Choice
The following features were my main reasons for upgrading to this model from the 1390LMT:
1. Voice activated - It allows you operate the GPS, hands free. This is very useful to make quick changes while you are driving.
Published 18 months ago by Manny Lopez

3.0 out of 5 stars Best of Nuvis...But
Published 15 months ago by Critical User

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Choice, March 16, 2013
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 2497LMT 4.3-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic (Electronics)
2. Auto Sorts multiple destinations - My previous unit did not have this feature and I tried to manually order the stops in LA based on distance but I was all over the place and noticed that I was going back to the same area multiple times. This should be a great time saver.
3. My Trends feature predicts your route. Normally, I would not use the unit in areas that I go to often but I always have it on for the Bluetooth feature to use my cell phone hands free. If the unit is on, it tries to predict where you are going based on your trends and this along with the Traffic update feature saved me a couple of times.
4. Exit Services - you can activate Exit services and select the type of service (gas station, hotel, restaurant, or restrooms).

Following are the features that I had and look for in GPS:
1. FREE Lifetime Map updates and Traffic (LMT). Just the cost of 1 map update makes spending a little more upfront worth it.
2. Bluetooth allows me take advantage of the hands free calling on my phone when driving. If you do not need this feature you can get the 2457LMT model and save about $30.
3. Garmin offers a good selection of Points of Interest (POI) but I have to be honest, it's good but it's not the best in the market.
4. Spoken street names, this avoids having to constantly be looking at the GPS for the next instruction.
5. Displays Junction signs, the signs on this device look realistic, it shows which way to go by fading out the signs where you should NOT go. It also shows some lanes with an arrow of which way to go.
6. Lane Assist, this really helps to be in the correct lane before it's too late, especially in rush hour when you may not be able to move over several lanes at the last minute; however, this is not available in ALL areas but it is better than prior models.
7. Speed Limit indicator, has successfully displayed the correct speed limit in the majority of the areas that I have been through. This is a feature that I've gotten on my last 2 GPS and it may have saved me a ticket or two, in a couple of areas where the speed limit dropped for no apparent reason and I've realized it because of the GPS and not because I noticed the speed sign.
8. The Traffic update, in my area, is pretty good. The first time it gave me the option to re-route, I ignored it and regretted it. It happened 2 more times and I listened to it and re-routed.

Other features:
1. You can use it vertical or horizontal.
2. It can link to your Android smartphone to share information such as where you are parked, POI, traffic conditions, etc...

3.0 out of 5 stars Best of Nuvis...But, June 18, 2013
Having owned several Garmin units, this is the best of the bunch. Clear, bright display with matt screen for sunlight readability, clear voice announcements, responds well to voice commands, good satellite sensitivity. So far, the 2497 has provided better routing in metropolitan areas. BUT.. I downrated this from 5 stars because of two general issues with Garmin equipment: First, The battery is not meant to be user-replaceable, meaning Garmin expects you to return the unit to them for battery replacement, which is way too expensive (and the service is not even available for older units.) So, you have the option of finding a third party repairer (not easy, and still expensive), do it yourself (not simple), or disgard or possible trade in the GPS (not always possible.) This is planned obsolescence.
Second, Garmin is constantly changing the software needed to register the GPS and perform updates. This is a genuine, time consuming nuisance. Why can't they ever get it right?

4.0 out of 5 stars Latest and greatest!, August 5, 2013
80sGuy (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I've been a Garmin user for some time now (nuvi 360), but took a long absence since I had the opportunity of using a late model 4.3" Magellan that was given to me for free. While the latter was good but it lacked functionality and user-friendliness big time compared to my old Garmin, so I decided to put the thing up on eBay for the hands of die-hard Magellan fans, and off it went. I then scoured the remaining funds and purchased this latest Garmin device and what a HUGE difference! But before this I did my fair share of researching on many various Garmin models and read just about all of their reviews. There seemed to be a good number of positives as well as negatives and according to the few, I'll admit that there were a few things that I did not like about the newer models. Read on...

The pros:
It boots up really fast and turns off just as quickly but with a cost (more on this later). It also talks less now, and most would agree! But voice prompts are still crystal-clear and very intelligible even when volume is turned down. Alas, the newer sleeker design matches easily with any dash and the 4.3" matte screen is perfect size, any bigger would (probably) be a nuisance for me. The non-glare panel is bright and clear enough to see even during daytime use thanks to its ambient sensor which adjusts very well to any light situation. Feature-wise it is very intuitive - a trademark of Garmin as always. Some features might appeared to be buried compared to my old nuvi 360 but I assure you they are is still there. For instance: 'Detour' is nowhere to be found unless you add the icon from Map Tools, even then it wouldn't show unless you bring it up from a smaller sub-screen by tapping on the menu button. The 'recalculating' feature is silent now, which means she will not annoy you anymore by repeating it 25 times if you make the wrong turn or disagree with...but it will be displayed on the screen banner as usual. Most features and icon are assignable now so this can either be a plus or minus for different users but so far I'm liking the slight change - so long they are still there! Battery life is also very good. Since there is FREE traffic and requires the supplied car charger to be plugged in for it to function I couldn't really say how the battery perform during navigating, but it seems to hold up pretty well while I was inputting information at home. GPS signal seems to be stronger as well, even indoors. The biggest overall advantage would be for the Free Lifetime Maps & Traffic. The only reason I got rid of my 360 was because I didn't want to spend the the money for newer maps every two years or so.

The Cons:
While the device is nice and sleek, ergonomically it is severely marred by the placement of the power button. Yes it powers on/off real quick but I tend to press on it 50% of the time while transporting it to and from the dash - thus accidentally triggering the device ON/OFF vice versa. This is a problem especially when another family member uses it when sliding the unit in/out of a protective pouch, unlike my older nuvi 360 where it requires you to press and 'hold' for the power to function. Also, once turned off, you'd have to wait 5 seconds before it can be turned on again (?) I don't know. The device can also be turned off completely by pressing and 'hold' until it goes off, BUT, turning the device back ON only requires a slight tap - meaning sliding the GPS back into its pouch with a slight chance of accidentally turning the device ON. One wouldn't notice unless it is double-checked. Thank goodness it has an 'auto power off' feature and the timeout can be set via menu page, but then I'd rather just have it OFF until I want it ON. Another slight minus would be the 'volume' setting while the device is navigating; on the old Garmins, all you have to do is tap on the power button real quick and the volume/brightness setting would pop up. On these newer ones you'd have to press the little menu button on the bottom right, then bring up the volume icon. If you want the same for 'brightness', the icon can also be added by using the map tools option. Some users say you can search by zip code, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to do so -- another negative on my book.

But overall I love this model and it is worth the purchase solely for the FREE lifetime updates alone, not to mention she doesn't talk as much compared to the older ones. But the idea of having free maps (up to four times per year) make this the ultimate bargain, or it could very well be the last GPS device you'll ever need to buy! I am happy to be back for Garmin!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not entirely impressed..., June 23, 2013
I use this GPS daily for work, on average 10-15 different addresses a day so I get to know GPS's pretty quick. This is my 2nd GPS I have ever bought. I used a Tom Tom model up until release day of this 2497 lmt product coming out. I was happy with the Tom Tom but it was 4-5 years old and I needed to update the map but decided it would be a better buy to get a lifetime map/traffic GPS instead. Going from a Tom Tom to this Garmin is fairly easy. The menu interface is just ok on the 2497, not overly user friendly when you dig semi deep into the options.

My biggest complaint about this 2497(and maybe all Garmin GPS's?) is my 4-5 year old Tom Tom was much more accurate when it comes to accurately showing you where the address actually is. This surprised me a good deal and that is why I am not overly impressed, my older Tom Tom was more accurate...not joking and I have no brand loyalty whatsoever. It will get you to the right street but locating the house/company, this unit can be off by a good amount(2 miles is the furthest so far, but usually 1/4 mile or so is average when it is off and that is about 30% of the time which is way too high. I guess it's just a different mapping method than what Tom Tom uses. Pick your poison, Garmin has great customer service, "better looking" displays but are not as accurate. Tom Tom's apparently have better accuracy but almost non existent customer service. It's a toss up, even though I want the best accuracy, if you can't even contact Tom Tom easily, that's a major turn off. 3 stars for this unit because of accuracy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not that great, October 13, 2013
Lily (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
Bought this item because of the live traffic update....only to find out that live traffic updates are really limited. As a result we got stuck in a four hour traffic jam because we hadn't been warned about an accident that had happened 10 hours earlier but was still blocking the freeway.

The item also gave us instructions to our house that would have taken us at least 30 minutes out of our way if we had been a visitor and not known how to get home.

Very disappointed. So returned it and kept our old but good Garmin gps that's not as "sophisticated" with the latest gadgets. Guess old isn't always bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, March 29, 2013
Got this to replace our Garmin 265 WT. Has great new features. Like the lifetime maps and traffic. Also like the lane assist view that shows up automatically when you come to freeway/highway exits. Also easier to find favorites. Shows the road you are on and exit numbers which were not on the other one we had. Am still learning all the new features. Garmin is a great brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cannot use zip code to search for street address, November 30, 2013
Rajeev Limaye (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this Garmin product after using an older version of Garmin GPS for 6 years. The biggest drawback in Garmin nüvi 2497LMT is that you cannot enter the zip code or city and State to search for street address.
Even the older version of my GPS supported entering zip code to search for street address. I am sure many other Garmin models support that feature. However, in this particular model, there is no way to enter the zip code and then enter the street address to search for the street address in that zip code. It tries to search the street address in the neighboring states when the destination is just a mile away. I am very disappointed to see that an important feature that I valued most is missing in this model of GPS.

3.0 out of 5 stars So far, a bit dissappointing, but maybe will grow on me, June 17, 2013
Stoney End (hawleyville and beyond) - See all my reviews
This is my 2nd GPS, 1st was also a Garmin 265t, which though imperfect, I liked a lot, even with its rough edges....I didn't like the cost of updating expired maps which was about what the unit cost (or a similar new one) , so I will roll the dice and try to be smart driving with it, especially where new exits etc are evident. We still use it in other cars.

Since we needed another, I finally bit the bullet and looked at the new ones, expecting some serious improvements and especially seeking 'lifetime' updates (which turn out to be limited to a few a year...rather than when they are significant...but that's OK, since the update routine is a pain anyway).

The news is sorta good and bad so far...but the jury is still out as I need more time to test it under normal conditions (I don't use it all the time), and also there are many 'features' that require time to understand and (again) test.

Two early 'con' observations at a high level are:

1) The darn thing has told me to turn left when it should have been right...more than once...and in different places near my home where I am pretty familiar with them. Most recently I glanced at the map display when this happened and noted that it SHOWED a right turn, but I swear it said 'turn left'...I will now really try to focus in on this. It isn't the first time this has happened...and just how many of these 'errors' can you accept when in unfamiliar territory? I will update this report sometime soon.

2) The 'voice recognition' is pretty bad. Not only does it do a poor job of understanding what I say, but also even is too complex to operate while driving...at least so far...maybe after both of us have more training (I doubt the unit makes any training adjustments...) I/it will get smarter. For now, it isn't very good and causes more work and hazard than trying to manually enter the target info.

2a) the 'points of interest' info is dated. I can't tell how badly but many places listed are no longer in business for over a year maybe even three. Again...how does one evaluate and rate this on a broad scale?

3) (Yes, I said two...and this is already four...but there are probably 5 or ten if I nit pik ... I'm just reluctant to be too tough since I'm not fully trained on this, and it is a part time job ;-) )

Pretty pricey ... and the stuff I want most isn't working well so far. I recently installed some updates so will see if they had any affect...but even the update process is klunky for a company and product update process that must have been used millions of times by now. There is little useful info on what the updates (especially the 'optional' ones) do, so it is unclear if you will get any improvement on the standard ones or if you should bother to select the optional ones (knowing that they could break something...). This device should update like a toaster...either you get it or not. I spent some time trying to start/restart after some 'recommended' updates...and never could tell if they 'took' since they kept showing as 'recommended' even though I executed the install per instructions, restarted etc.

Much of the base functions like display and audio quality are fine. Blue tooth for cell phone is OK, same as the old Garmin. Voice dialing so far is suffering from soso voice recognition and dialogue ease of use, as above. Many other options like displaying speed, elevation, time to arrive, etc. are very good. They work.

Would I buy this unit again? Not sure yet... maybe simple is better. It is still (hopefully) better than most others both Garmin and not, but this is TBD in next few months as we both 'learn' and maybe some fixes get installed. The scary thing is these units can cause accidents if they don't function accurately and easily (distracted driving especially with the bad voice dialogue). By then too late to remedy so I will live with it and hope some mapping and software updates are forthcoming...or maybe it's just me ;-)

YMMV..Caveat Emptor

3.0 out of 5 stars Jack of all trades, master of none, November 14, 2013
This sounds like a great package with lots of gadgets. Unfortunately, it appears to be overloaded with stuff so that each individual capability functions less well than previous Garmins with fewer options. There's a lot of stuff on the screen that could be useful if you could read it while driving. Most annoying is that the voice directions are very inferior to a Garmin nuvi 1300LM that I had. It simply says "In 1/4 mile, turn right", no street names, no real information. The 1300 would say : "In 2.5 miles turn right on Genesee Avenue". Although the "recalculating" comment on earlier models could be annoying, at least you knew if you got off track. This one doesn't let you know you're off track unless you're constantly watching the device while you're supposed to be paying attention to driving. If you're in a place with lots of intersecting streets close together, it is very difficult to get directions. Same dilemma if there are multiple on ramps to highways. I like the voice directions of the 1300 because it allowed me to pay attention to driving and I just listened for the turns by street. This model doesn't provide that level of support. I can usually get additional information to make the right turn if I look down at the device, but that defeats the purpose of the voice instructions.

The voice command is handy. Just be sure to pick an easy wake up phrase because you have to repeat it a lot to change routes. I haven't found the traffic useful.

1.0 out of 5 stars not happy with the dim daytime display, September 6, 2013
AJ (Minnesota United States) - See all my reviews
This is our 3rd Garmin. Our previous units were easy enough to see during daylight conditions but for some reason this newer model is quite hard to see in the daylight. For sure both my wife and I have figured out that we always have to have the power cord plug in to get the brightest screen. We called Garmin customer service and they walked us through the settings and made certain we have the screen set to the brightest mode. Also we cannot wear sunglasses when driving during daylight conditions since this makes it impossible to view the dimly lit screen. We would not buy this unit again due to this puzzling phenomena.