Top positive review
196 people found this helpful
on March 16, 2013
The following features were my main reasons for upgrading to this model from the 1390LMT:
1. Voice activated - It allows you operate the GPS, hands free. This is very useful to make quick changes while you are driving.
2. Auto Sorts multiple destinations - My previous unit did not have this feature and I tried to manually order the stops in LA based on distance but I was all over the place and noticed that I was going back to the same area multiple times. This should be a great time saver.
3. My Trends feature predicts your route. Normally, I would not use the unit in areas that I go to often but I always have it on for the Bluetooth feature to use my cell phone hands free. If the unit is on, it tries to predict where you are going based on your trends and this along with the Traffic update feature saved me a couple of times.
4. Exit Services - you can activate Exit services and select the type of service (gas station, hotel, restaurant, or restrooms).
Following are the features that I had and look for in GPS:
1. FREE Lifetime Map updates and Traffic (LMT). Just the cost of 1 map update makes spending a little more upfront worth it.
2. Bluetooth allows me take advantage of the hands free calling on my phone when driving. If you do not need this feature you can get the 2457LMT model and save about $30.
3. Garmin offers a good selection of Points of Interest (POI) but I have to be honest, it's good but it's not the best in the market.
4. Spoken street names, this avoids having to constantly be looking at the GPS for the next instruction.
5. Displays Junction signs, the signs on this device look realistic, it shows which way to go by fading out the signs where you should NOT go. It also shows some lanes with an arrow of which way to go.
6. Lane Assist, this really helps to be in the correct lane before it's too late, especially in rush hour when you may not be able to move over several lanes at the last minute; however, this is not available in ALL areas but it is better than prior models.
7. Speed Limit indicator, has successfully displayed the correct speed limit in the majority of the areas that I have been through. This is a feature that I've gotten on my last 2 GPS and it may have saved me a ticket or two, in a couple of areas where the speed limit dropped for no apparent reason and I've realized it because of the GPS and not because I noticed the speed sign.
8. The Traffic update, in my area, is pretty good. The first time it gave me the option to re-route, I ignored it and regretted it. It happened 2 more times and I listened to it and re-routed.
1. You can use it vertical or horizontal.
2. It can link to your Android smartphone to share information such as where you are parked, POI, traffic conditions, etc...