1,466 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Upgrade
I purchased this to replace an older 5" garmin that did not have lifetime maps. I was getting tired of being nagged to pay for a map update on the older unit. Also I wanted to upgrade to a Bluetooth device.
Published 17 months ago by Charles H. Meyer Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming
Long story short and why I'm even writing this: Over complicated routes to get to simple places. If it takes more time and more turns on nastier roads to get to my destination going somewhere I know, why would I trust this GPS when I was away from home?

Elaboration:
Published 18 months ago by Jesse

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Upgrade, March 29, 2013
Charles H. Meyer Jr. (Stratford, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 2597LMT 5-Inch Bluetooth Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic (Electronics)
I am impressed overall with the improved speed and sophistication of this device. Connecting to a satellite is improved considerably. Seriously it just takes seconds. My last unit kept searching for a satellite connection so long I was afraid I'd get lost in the process.
No more "recalculating" exclamations when you go off the suggested route. It quickly displays your new route with the suggested next turn.
There are many more split screen "junction view" occurrences. These rarely appeared on my last unit.
The user menu and graphical display has also been improved. The graphics appear cleaner and there is a menu tab on each screen.
Regarding Bluetooth, The ability to use as a speaker phone when connected to your mobile device is nice.
The Voice Command system is good but not great. it's fine when reciting pre-defined menu options but is hit or miss (mainly miss) when speaking addresses.
The build of the unit is solid. Slightly thinner and curvier than previous units.

I have not had any traffic alerts so really can't comment on that function yet.

I'm happy with the improved performance of this unit.

If Voice command and the speaker function are not important to you, you could save some cash buy getting the 2557 model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great GPS, Big Improvement from Old Model, April 2, 2013
Length:: 0:34 Mins

For work, I have to fly to different cities and drive a rental car to different address. A GPS is mandatory and after 10 years, it was time to upgrade from my Magellan. I first tried the Garmin 2595LMT, the older version of this GPS on sale at Costco. After a week, I took it back to Costco, I wasn't happy with four major issues.

The new model on sale here, 2597LMT, was due out any time. Only had to wait a week and I'm really glad I did; Garmin fixed all four issues.

*The first issue I had was how the old unit clipped onto the base, to get it to release using one hand, half the time it would slip out of control and fall to the floor. The new design lets you get a good grip and release it at the same time.

*The voice was terrible, I couldn't understand half of the street names it was saying. I have a stock GPS in my 2006 Honda that sounded 10 times clearer. The new model now sounds just as clear or better then the stock Honda.

*This new GPS has a LCD display that is not affected by polarized sunglasses, wow, what a difference! The old model would turn dark with a slight tilt of your head.

*They got rid of the "Real Picture" of ramps and exits! Real picture sounds like a great idea, until you try to glance at a 2.5 by 2.5 busy picture and make out what lane your suppose to be in; really bad idea. This new one uses a great birds eye animated graphic that highlights the lanes you need to be in; you can just glance and see where you want to be.

I've only had this for a short time, but so far it's exceeded my expectations. There are a lot of other features, but for me the top features are the basic ones; seeing, hearing, and handling. The Costco unit did came with the upgraded HD Traffic cable, this one only has Garmin Traffic, I will probably pay the $60 for the HD power cable.

Update 12/27/13: There seems to be a lot of concern about the LCD screen and polarized sunglasses. I've posted a video on my main review to better show what I'm talking about. I do not have the previous model that blacked out, but it did so just like my Dell computer screen does, so I used it. Even a slight tilt of your head started to dim the screen of the previous Garmin model. That problem is not on the 2597, they have done something different, I don't know what, but the new screen is far better. Any distortion you see in the video, is due to the sunglasses are prescription/reading lenses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great item but with one drawback, May 26, 2013
Maina (New England) - See all my reviews
i purchased the 2597 to replace a 2350 which was good but had a bug in it (caused the 2350 to stop giving the next turn in the upper left and had to be turned off and restarted). I will compare these two in my review.

Start up time: The 2597 appears to go to sleep instead of turn off when you press the power button. Power up is less than 2 seconds which is great. The 2350 was closer to 20 - 30 seconds.

Security: The 2597 can not be locked, i.e. with a 4 digit pin. Not a huge deal, but I liked the feature on the 2350. I am sure thieves can find a way around this feature which is why it's not a big deal. Just don't use you actual house for home, I use the beginning of my street instead.

Screen: Here is my biggest gripe. The 2350 screen is excellent, it has saturated colors that are easy to read, the 2597 appears washed out and although the colors in some areas (like the purple path you follow are deep enough, they are no where near as deep as the 2350. This is the reason for 4 stars instead of 5. The text is still readable, but it's been raining here for a week, so I haven't seen the screen in bright sunlight.

Text: My biggest gripe with the 2350 was although it had excellent colors, the font was smaller than it had to be. I have owned about 5 garmin GPS models and the 2350 has lots of space to put the words, but it didn't use all the space. The 2597 has a bigger screen, but it also has a much better font. It is much easier to read and I couldn't really ask for more.

Information Displayed: I really like the way the information is displayed, Speed limit and current speed have been moved to the left (the 2350 had them on the right), When you happen to go over the speed limit, the area around your current speed becomes a shaded red, other models turn the font to red. I like the shading better. I also REALLY like that the current road is on the bottom of the screen (in a readable font) and the next road is on the top of the screen.

Next turn: On the top left is the next turn, on multilane highways the 2350 would show you which lane or lanes, on the 2597 it SOMETIMES shows you if there are 4 lanes and you can be in the right 2 lanes (as an example). Note sure why this happens on some road and not others. But, it always tells you audibly if you should be in a certain set of lanes.

Speaker: The speaker appears to be slightly louder than the 2350, but as usual, it heavily distorts up around 100% and there appears to be little difference between 85% and 100%. So you may think you have power to spare at 85%, but really you don't, you are close to full volume.

Voice command: I have only owned this for a few days, but I like the voice command. It works great for my voice. I would recommend that only one person use voice command though, because when my wife tried to use it, it didn't work very well for her, and then after that, it seemed like it didn't work as well for my voice. So, I think it "learns" the voice and more than one may confuse the algorithm.

Routes: There is nothing about this on Garmin's site or others, and I don't know why since I think it's a major improvement. When you go someplace you can select from up to 3 routes and they show you the 3 routes on the screen, like google maps does. Then you just select the which route you like.

Adding destinations; It does a better job at adding destinations than the 2350, The 2597 shows you the destinations as a set of rows on the screen, from 1st destination to last destination, and you can just select one of them and move it up or down in your route.

Trip Log: It has it, and I really like this feature. It shows you where you have been as a set of blue "bread crumbs". If I take a strange route someplace and want to back out the way I came, these bread crumbs are perfect for doing this.

Recalculating: The new 2597 doesn't say this, which you may think is great, but it also doesn't say ANYTHING to you when it does recalculate, i.e. if you go off an a different road it won't tell you where to turn until the next turn comes up, which may be 100 miles away. I wish it would have said something, like "continue on I95 for 100 miles".

Overall, I really like this model. I will try to add to this review as I use it more. I hope this helps people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Garmin GPS Comparison Guide for 2013 Models, March 17, 2013
Ultimate Garmin GPS Comparison Guide for 2013 Models

I wanted to share with others my research on all the Garmin models out there in one easy to see spot. For those unfamiliar with the basic family differences Garmin breaks them down into 3 categories.

Essential Series - These are the everyday GPS units with basic features. They are the most affordable, simple, and user-friendly.

Advanced Series - These are the next step up from the essential series. They have additional features that go beyond basic navigation.

Prestige Series - Most advanced, premium line of GPS units available from Garmin. Top notch performance and cutting edge features.

-----------------

The letters after each model number in all series mean the following:
LM - Lifetime Map Updates
T - Live Traffic Updates

-----------------

The model numbers that Garmin uses are in different formats for each series. I will detail them below mentioning only the differences between each model. Any models not seen here are old models and have been replaced by these for 2013.

Essential Series (Split into screen size categories):

4x Series (4.3" Screen):
Nuvi 42

Unit Dimensions 4.9"W x 3.1"H x 0.8"D
US Maps ONLY

Nuvi 44

Same exact specs as Nuvi 42 but with...
US AND Canada maps

5x Series (5" Screen):
Nuvi 52

Unit Dimensions 5.5"W x 3.4"H x 0.8"D
US Maps ONLY

Nuvi 54

Same exact specs as Nuvi 52 but with...
US AND Canada maps

Nuvi 2457LMTHD

Unit Dimensions 4.8"W x 3.0"H x 0.76"D
Lifetime HD Digital traffic providing updates at 30 second intervals

Nuvi 2497LMT

Same exact specs as the Nuvi 2457LMTHD but with...
Lifetime traffic updates but with less frequent updates

25xx Series (5" Screen):

Nuvi 2557LMT

Unit Dimensions 5.4"W x 3.3"H x 0.76"D
Lifetime Map Updates

Nuvi 2577LT

Same exact specs as the 2557 but with...
NO Lifetime Map Updates

Nuvi 2597LMT

Same exact specs as the 2557 but with...
Lifetime Map Updates

Prestige Series (there is only one model in this series):

Nuvi 3597LMTHD

This is the current Garmin Flagship model
Screen Size 5"
It carries any and all of the features seen on other models but it includes a high resolution screen
It also has a touchscreen and supports multitouch
HD Digital traffic providing updates at 30 second intervals

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Garmin Yet!, April 10, 2013
Garmin has improved its GPS lineup with its 2013 models, specifically the Garmin nüvi 2557LMT model one of Garmin's Advanced series.

I owned one of the Prestige series from last year and was pleased with its features. I was curious to see what Garmin had done to improve its models for 2013. Here are some of them:

1) New graphic interface makes it easier to read
2) Brighter display and its 2400x models which it replaced.
3) Better solid connection to suction cup/friction mount

If you wanted a bright display last year, you needed to purchase one of the Prestige series models. This year you get a brighter display with the lower Advanced series that was not available last year.

Pricing was a key concern. My previous Garmin was the 3550LT with offered most of the top model's features except voice recognition and Bluetooth for $30 less than the top model. This year, the only model available in the Prestige series is their top of the line for $379.99. So to purchase the nüvi 2557LMT for $219.99 seems quite a bargain when compared to last year's prices.

If you're looking for a GPS loaded with features and a newer brighter interface, seriously consider the Garmin nüvi 2557LMT!

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming, March 19, 2013
Jesse (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews

Elaboration:
I live in a rural area, and you can explain to me like I'm a child how to change all the options (I'm a big boy and read the book, played with every button), but no matter what options you pick this device will NOT stick to main roads. There's a city an hour from me, you take one main highway and get onto another, and you're there. The Nuvi 2557lmt does NOT take this route, however, it cuts a corner on a nasty back road rather than sticking to the main roads and ads several minutes to trip (personal experience from knowing the area where I live). Even when I use Google Maps to trace where the Garmin would have me go it says it takes one extra minute, but Google is assuming you'll risk your struts by blasting through potholes at the posted speed limit on that forsaken back road. There are two main highways you can take to this city, neither of which were presented in their simplest way, there was always the addition of back roads.

This unit is new and based on my experience quite expensive. I decided to move over to this device from a 4 year old Magellan because the maps were unable to be updated (a real issue for Magellan so I hear), and the battery no longer held even a 2 minute charge. I almost went with a Magellan unit that had every single feature this device did but was less than half the price for a 2012 model, but decided to risk spending much more to get the map updates that Garmin does a good job of upkeeping. You can call me a fanboy if you want, but I'm a little disturbed to see that all the software features the Magellan had have taken this long to reach a 200 dollar Magellan. Basically new maps mean nothing if this device's software is unable to pick a decent route.

Closing Satement:
The device is fine hardware wise, it's decently quick and the touch screen is considerably more responsive than my older GPS, and the build quality is lovely. Really the hardware is the only reason I've left this at 3 stars, and while it will get you to your destination I have serious doubt that it'll do it the best way as I have gone on wild goose chases with this device in the few days I've owned it. Don't forge your own path, Garmin, stick to the road MORE traveled.

Firmware as of now: 2.40
Maps as of now: CN North America NT 2013.40 ALL
GPS Firmware: 3.03.04

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL Directions, January 10, 2014
I was looking forward to this purchase as an upgrade to an old Garmin 3150 which had served me faithfully for 5+ years. Ever since I received this item it very often gives awful directions. You eventually get to where you need to go, but it takes you in circles, or makes other baffling mistakes. I tried to fix this via downloaded updates and adjusting the settings, but nothing worked.
Some examples:

- Driving in a carpool lane in Southern California, the unit advised me to get off the freeway at an exit, then get back on at the same exit (take the off-ramp, go through the traffic light then get on the on-ramp) and get back into the carpool lane - the one I was already driving in. (Thankfully I recognized the stupidity of this and didn't follow directions).

- On a visit to a hospital (a 10 year-old facility with no new roads anywhere around it), I was at the traffic light waiting to turn into the parking lot and the unit advised a u-turn, and a circle route that was more than a mile long - all to get back to the same place - but from the opposite direction. (Again, thankfully no need to follow these directions when you can see the building 100 yards ahead...)

There have been countless incidents like those above. The result is that I cannot trust the unit. In the areas I know - I can see that the unit often gives awful directions. In the areas that I don't know, why should I expect this to be doing any better? In fact it isn't. You do eventually get to where you're going, but in such an awful way that in general, directions can't be trusted. Even when it's correct, I don't trust it. How can one keep a GPS with this level of performance? The simple answer is one can't. It has to go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor information too little too late, January 28, 2014
Normally I dont write reviews, howerver after trying to replace my old GPS (tomtom XXL540) which was damaged by their last update!, I'd thought I'd update to a newer more advanced device. I ended up with this nuvi 2597 based upon numerous reviews . Being an electrical engineer, I may review the unit more critical than most... but it is what it is!

Pros:
1. Locked on the sat very quickly and with good signal as per the display
2. Volume of voice loud enough to overcome cabin noise level and then some!
3. Voice quality Improved over 2012 units but still lacking not as good as TomTom "Dave" voice, but usable.
4. Voice command worked Ok..none are perfect but very usable and made operation much simpler.
5. POI worked great!

Cons:
Display washed out hard to see... other Garmin plastic LCD screens have much better contrast.
Voice command too limited... Need a Traffic comand to state trafic conditions with out having to multi touch screen.
Traffic information useless... sitting in bumper to bumper traffic and Garmin reports all clear.
Driving instructions come to late. Telling you what lane to get in to 1/4 mile before a junction in traffic is not enough time!
Using Landmarks as a guide is ok if you know where to look and if the landmark is still there. If Garmin elects to use landmarks...include street names too so I dont have to look at the screen to know the street if I can't find the landmark ("Right turn on MAIN STREET at the LIGHT") would work much better!
Big TABS for speed and time waste to much screen space. TomTom displays a lot of useful information (miles to go, ETA, time remaining, time of day, max speed, current speed, current road, next road, turn direction and more, all on the same 5" screen without eating up a lot of screen space. I'm sure Garmin could do the same. The "Dashboard" was a good start but they elected to remove it from the 2013 series...why?
Basic navigating... first time out the unit locked up after a half hour into the trip... required a hard restart to clear... not fun on the freeway at 75MPH reaching for the unit and holding the ON button waiting for a reset!
Exiting the freeway as per instruction... the unit failed to detect I was on the exit ramp and recalculated for the next exit ramp leaving me with no information as I reached the end of the ramp...Luckly I was stopped at the light when the unit corrected the error... but I was in the wrong lane to make the turn. When starting a new trip the unit tells me to drive to a starting street without telling me how to get there... then detects I'm not going in the right direct... and then gives me direction.
All in all I expected a lot more out of this advanced unit... It seems to me Garmin didn't do a very good job thinking this unit out. After all these years this should have been reduced to a fine science. I would invite the Project Engineer, if one exists, to take a trip with this unit and revisit the units design review if one was ever done. With a better quality higher contrast plastic LCD screen and a more thoughtfull software package this could be a very nice working unit! It's so easy to make such a small change and end up with a great product and great user experience. Im sure there are some very skilled and experienced hardware and software engineers working for Garmin... I just wonder how such a poorly thought out product was released?

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst GPS I've Ever Owned, May 16, 2014
I purchased this GPS based on all the positive reviews that it received from Amazon. However after using it for week, I had no choice but to send it back to Amazon.

First let me start with the pros:
1) Decent navigation, usually takes the most efficient route to take you from point A to point B.
2) Maps and Screen are gorgeous
3) Voice Control, this is the killer app of this GPS. Just say "Voice Control" then one of the following commands listed on the screen and you will be able to input an address, stop navigation without touching the device. While it's not perfect and sometimes you have to repeat a command or address a few times before the gps gets right. Needs some improvement but works well enough to list it as a positive.

For the cons:
1) The most convoluted user interface I have ever seen in a GPS. What were the Garmin engineers smoking when they came up with that?
2) Finding an address or intersection is the hardest thing to do. First when you put an address in, it doesn't ask you for the city or state, you just put in the street address and the GPS starts looking for that address in your current location. If you want the unit to look for the address, in a different city, you have to go back to the main menu after you've put in the address and click on "different city" and sometimes you have to do that twice before it finds the address. What ever happened to enter state, enter city, enter street and house number like ever other GPS I've used in the past.
3) The biggest flaw of this unit is .............................NO SUGGESTIVE SPELLING!!!!!!!! Why is this a big deal? Well, if you don't know or have the exact spelling the the street you are looking for the GPS will come up empty. Example: The other day, I was in Jersey City, NJ and I was looking for the intersection of 7th street and Coles St in Jersey City. At the time, I spelled Coles st, C-O-L-E and the GPS said it could not find the address. Every other GPS, I've ever used would give you a list of streets as you spell out the name not this unit. If you are not familiar with the exact spelling of the street or city name, It will not find the address. Then again, if you were familiar with the exact spelling of the street and/or city, you probably wouldn't need a $180 GPS.

In closing, while this unit has some good things going for it, its flaws are hard to overcome. The convoluted user interface, the difficulty of doing something as easy as putting an address and the lack of suggestive spelling makes this a hard sell and I would not recommend this GPS.

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting enhancements but really poor traffic service and routing, July 30, 2013
Note this review is for the 2557LMT.

I purchased this in lieu of paying a price to upgrade maps on a Garmin 765T purchased in 2009. I thought the larger screen may be useful and I liked the idea of lifetime maps and traffic. I have used this unit for just over a month. Plenty of local trips, a 4 day Baltimore trip, and a 1500 mile round trip to Maine.

I am impressed with the improved speed of connecting to a satellite. As others have commented; it takes just seconds. The 765T kept searching for a satellite connection so long I was often concerned I'd get lost while it looked. The 2557LMT also seems to understand how to get out of parking lots and consistently gives the correct turn direction to get me back to my route.

I am quite sad that I paid nearly $200 to get a unit that in some other GPS functions, in my estimation, is only a marginal improvement from the older unit and in some functions is a step back.

It has a number of good things to comment upon. I am so happy to no longer hear "recalculating" exclamations when I go off the suggested route or miss the turn for which notification may have come so late I could not adjust. So far the 2557LMT provides plenty of notification and quickly displays the new route with the suggested next turn.
I discovered on my trip there seems to be many more split screen "junction view" occurrences. I suspect this is due to expanded opportunity not so much the unit itself. These rarely appear in my local traveling area on the Virginia peninsula.

I find the user menu and graphical display work fine for me. The graphics are clear enough and after you play with it a bit the menu and the search functions make sense. I do find the Active Lane Guidance and Garmin Real Directions to be quite helpful.
It looks to be solidly built and although the screen is slightly larger the body seems thinner and better shaped than the 765T.
I don't like the new clip mount. I expect it will break in several years of use.

Things which it does that make me sad are mostly centered around the very poor quality of the traffic service and the unfathomable logic it applies in the way it does the routing.

In the past month I have sat at 0 mph or slowly crawled along in numerous local and distant traffic snarls and never heard a peep about it out of this thing. This has occurred on major highways and the Interstate system. These are roads the Garmin Traffic website indicates are flow and incident enabled and covered by NAVTEQ. I have received vague alerts (generally a <5 min delay a few miles up the road on my route, I always seem to be on the fastest route when these appear) so I suspect it can tell me something about traffic, but cannot confirm that it is telling me something accurate or current.
When making a decision about which route to take I have never seen any traffic alerts. I suppose the unit gets it's information from another source (NAVTEQ) but the communication to me while driving is not useful. I have considered buying the GTM 60 receiver cable for HD traffic (another $70) but would like to know from user's experience if it works before I shell out any more cash.

Trip routing locally and the trip to Baltimore seemed to work out OK. At that point I was pleased, although there was little traffic reporting even though I had encountered some. In and around Baltimore it easily found and directed me to places I had never been.

On my 1500 mile round trip the routing logic easily added over an hour a day of driving time to each segment of my route. Over a 5 day period I travelled from the Virginia peninsula to Parsippany, NJ, then to Woburn, MA, then to western Maine, then returned to VA via Parsippany. It consistently found the places I was looking for without a problem. Although as POIs some well-known non-chain restaurants had to be entered by address rather than business names.

What I found most aggravating was the apparent logic disconnect between "most direct" and "fastest" routing. The poor traffic service seems to have an effect here too. When travelling from Virginia to a destination north of Washington, DC rather than route me around the city by I495 the unit chose to route me directly through the city on I395 to Rt 295. Foolishly I heeded it. This may well be the most direct and could be the fastest (I had never thought so before) if there had not been an accident on D Street which clogged up all lanes of I395 for several miles. Had I learned of this incident before I was sitting in the massive traffic snarl, I would have chosen another route. Fortunately, I had enough familiarity with the surface streets in and around that part of DC that I was able to get out of the city. The delay was nearly an hour. Before we got to Baltimore family members ahead of us told us the I95 tunnel had major delays (they read this from the posted overhead road signs), our routing indicated no traffic problems. Not wishing a repeat of the DC experience so soon, I made a choice to use I895 tunnel. We made it through the toll booth then stopped for 1/2 hour while something was cleared from the tunnel. Not a peep from Garmin traffic while we sat there.
And so it went for the remainder of the trip; I90 eastbound the next day was a parking lot from the Auburn tolls to I95/128. As one would expect, that route was a mess at 3:30 PM on a Friday. Not a peep from Garmin traffic about delays on I90 or I95/128. The combined delay was nearly 2 hours which the estimated arrival time duly kept adjusting. The arrival time was pretty accurate.

On the return trip I had similar traffic issues on I495, I90. I87. With no traffic reporting available and not knowing what to expect on a Sunday PM on I84 west of Hartford, I chose to go the very long route on I90 to I87. It turned out to be a poor choice, but heaven only knows what delays may have been on I84. At least it was a pretty drive before it started raining.
The next day as we approached Perth Amboy on I287 the unit recommended we exit I287 and use a couple of local roads to access the NJ Turnpike south of Perth Amboy. I ignored the first one but tried the second one as a quick flip through the text review made it look OK. I suppose it was a good route if you like to go 35 to 45 MPH and stop at traffic lights in NJ. Since it was 10 AM on a Monday morning, I could tolerate the additional 20 minutes it added to the trip, but if it had been during a heavier traffic period it could have added an hour. I just don't understand how the logic works yet.

I'm happy with some of this unit, but not happy with the traffic service and trip routing. As others have stated, I have taken to comparing the trip routing to Google Maps and a different GPS app on my tablet and then making my decision how to proceed. Sort of defeats the purpose of trust in a GPS I am thinking. but I have now owned this thing beyond the available window of return to Amazon so I need to make the best of it. I will continue to prowl the boards for traffic service improvement suggestions and continue to play with the preferences, but at this point I would not recommend spending $200 for this unit. I welcome your user's comments and any operating suggestions to my review.

Rate and Discover Movies