Top critical review
472 people found this helpful
working OK after initial software glitch
on December 8, 2011
I have been using Garmin automotive navigation systems for over 5 yrs. Recently I tried Nuvi 1450LMT, Nuvi 40 LM- all worked well. Nuvi 40 LM has only US maps so I swapped it with Nuvi 2455 LMT. My old Nuvi 360 is still working OK after 5 yrs., but she does not know any recent changes happening around the road-my bad no map update were done.
I purchased Garmin Nuvi 2455LMT (Life time map & Traffic) online. To start with it showed errors on the map of area well known to me. I tried to update map following the directions on the "micro" manual, it installed the map on computer (windows 7), but failed to update it on the device in spite of several attempts with the option 1 (recommended) on the installation wizard. I called Garmin client support and they walked me though the installation again with both fire fox and internet explorer browsers, it never got installed on Nuvi. At last the device froze. I Called Garmin again, they at last advised now to press down the start button for a minute or till it turns on. At last it turned on .This time they asked to install the map using the option No 2 (manual) on the installation wizard. It updated the map without any hitches in about 45 min and the device is working OK now. So if you fail to update the map try using option 2. They are having software problems with many new models with lifetime map update (LM).
1. Small 4.3 inches screen size and 0.6 x 4.8 x 2.9 inches device size fits your pocket like a wallet.
2. Life time map update is a great feature; I am not sure about life time traffic though since it usually takes you through by-routes circumnavigating a vast area.
3. Interface is user friendly, typing a place has automatic auto suggestion support, so in most cases you need not type the whole street name; just pick one of the options.
4. Search option brings in a full Qwerty key board with numbers, a bottom key switches to signs also
5. Very good satellite reception even indoor
6. Option to change to miles/ kilometer- useful in Canada and other great places where Metric system is in use
7. Scrolling arrow panel is on left side of screen
8. Boot up is fast, recalculating is also fast except for occasional freezing of software.
9. 3D map view works great
10. Speed limit display is generally accurate, As soon as you exceed the posted speed; your speed is displayed red.
11. I could not find a signal for traffic camera in Nuvi 2455, but Nuvi 40 gives warning beeps
12. Lane assist and real photo like junction view are awesome
13. Audio book player- if you love to hear the selected book s in the memory
14. Pedestrian mode help you find places when walk ing/jogging.
1. No wall charger, charge it in car or hooked up to computer, the latter takes about 8hrs for full charging. For a silly $5 wall charger Garmin charges about $25 -Great!!
2. No option to search by Zip code
3. The speaker icon helps you to mute only, If you want to adjust volume while navigating, you have to go back to the starting screen, find speaker icon and adjust volume. By this time the navigation display is gone, so you have to start all over again. This is stupid . Older models had the option to change it pressing lightly the start button. A provision to adjust volume from the speaker icon should have been there.
4. The "Recalculating" announcement is not any more, if you are going in wrong direction, there is no way to tell if the promptings are from the changed direction or from the continuation of the old directions you were following.
5. The port for charger/traffic updater cable/ `ultra-short' USB cable are located in the back- this is inconvenient-I prefer side port.
6. Forget about the windshield suction mount, it is bound to fall off. Get a bean bag dash mount, which works great.
7. If you hook up a wall charger, the device goes to the navigating mode. You have to manually turn it off; otherwise it will start yelling "Please drive to highlighted route". This is annoying. Garmin could not fix this silly thing so far!!
8. The software hitch in map update-which killed about 5-6 hrs. of different attempts, Garmin calls, trying and re-trying with different representatives with different ideas.
9. Only 2 ways to turn off the annoying pop-up advertisements are purchase life time traffic update for $60 or turn it off completely.