5.0 out of 5 stars A groovy Nuvi!
So far, I like the Garmin nüvi 1300LM 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator.

I'm a newbie to the GPS world. As a local professional truck driver, I finally decided instead of purchasing maps for areas I'm unfamilar with, I'd spring for a GPS unit.

Published on September 5, 2010 by Christopher Potts

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Basic GPS device
This unit is very easy to use right out of the box - very simple menu and settings. Points of interest feature is very useful for finding places to eat, shop, pump gas, etc. Device is quick at producing directions and also at rerouting.

Published on December 15, 2010 by pookybear

5.0 out of 5 stars A groovy Nuvi!, September 5, 2010
Christopher Potts (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 1300LM 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
So far, I like the Garmin nüvi 1300LM 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator.

Why a Garmin? Well, I narrowed it down to between a Garmin and a TomTom. I actually was leaning towards the TomTom XXL 540TM 5-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator (Lifetime Traffic & Maps Edition) until I learned that the Garmin units do a much better job at finding addresses the likes of N1234 W9876 Booneyville Rd. There are GPS units available for truckers, however, the price tag is a bit north of my budget. Since I'm generally familiar with the roads I travel on, I decided to stick with a lower-priced model and download POI's (Points-of-Interest) associated with the trucking community such as low bridges, truck stops, etc. The lifetime maps bundled into this unit was the deal-maker for me. I plan on keeping this unit for a long time (got a 2-year accident replacement plan on it).

I purchased the unit yesterday and my family and I have used it for shopping purposes yesterday and today. We sure had a chuckle when we switched the unit's voice to German and tried to follow the directions. Anyway, here's the skinny on the 1300 LM.

20-seconds after switching the unit on, you're ready to choose either "Where to?" (getting/typing directions) or "View Map" (to see where you are). The touch screen is nice--it responds well to your touches. Of course, if you're not use to a touch screen (or have fat fingers), it may take a while for you to get comfortable with it. The screen is bright enough--even in direct sunlight (keep in mind that most screens wash out a bit in direct sunlight). You can manually control screen brightness or have the nuvi 1300LM adjust it automatically for you. Volume control in an automobile is more than adequate. We had the radio on mid-way and could still hear the text-to-speech instructions clearly at 80% of the volume.

Actual navigation was impressive. Then again, I'm new to the GPS world. The GPS navigation tried to steer us on a different route a few times (we knew the shorter route) but quickly recalculated the route after giving up on the route it wanted to take us (even though we had the "faster time" option selected). The 4.3-inch screen is fine for viewing. While a 5-inch screen would probably be beneficial for driving an 18-wheeler or RV, I'm sure I won't have any problems with the 4.3-inch screen.

After giving it a spin straight-out-of-the-box, I later downloaded both software updates and map updates at [...] using "myDashboard". I had 4-6 successive software updates (why can't they bundle them as one?) followed by a map update. The entire process took somewhere between 4-5 hours on a DSL line. Not a big deal since I knew it would take some time to get the latest updates. By the way, Garmin has included a mini-USB cord to connect the 1300LM to your computer. The sales technician sold me a cord (which I returned) because he wasn't aware that Garmin has decided to start including the cord with certain (or all) GPS units.

My family doesn't plan on using the cityXplorer feature (fee-based) to navigate various cities by foot. However, eventually, we like to tour Washington, DC by walking and the Nuvi 1300LM presumably would be handy to have for that trip.

In summary, if you don't need bluetooth in your GPS unit (I've heard volume levels are very iffy in GPS bluetooth units) and you don't rely on traffic updates a lot (traffic is a hit/miss type of thing with a GPS unit from what I can determine), the Garmin Nuvi 1300LM just may be the unit you're looking for.

If warranted, I'll update this post after I've used the 1300LM in my big-rig.

P.S. The Garmin Portable Friction Mount (bean-bag) works great. Keep in mind that the cord from your cigarette lighter plugs into the garmin unit itself rather than the mount. Over time, I can see how that connection could become compromised with repeated plug-in/plug-out action. However, the mount itself seems very stable in warm weather. I would guess it will also do fine in colder weather.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Basic GPS device, December 15, 2010

Unit is able to speak street names, although oftentimes it's garbled and hard to understand. At high volumes, the voice is scratchy and a bit hard to understand properly. Screen size is decent, didn't have any trouble seeing the maps/directions.

Product details on Amazon list that the Garmin 1300LM includes LANE ASSIST -- this is actually NOT true. I was choosing between this model and the 1450LMT and settled for this one, thinking it had lane assist. Now it's too late to return. :( Lane assist is very useful in helping you realize which lane you should be in/near in anticipating for the next turn or exit. It also includes a junction view that helps visualize the lanes (especially the hwys). The 1300LM is also missing speed limit indicator, which is useful when driving in places where you do not see the speed limit clearly marked in the area.

Overall, I think the Garmin 1300LM is a basic model that will get you to point A to point B, without all the other bells and whistles. But if I were to go back in time to when I was purchasing, I would have chose the 1450LMT for the extra lane assist feature.

4.0 out of 5 stars Diamond in the rough, November 15, 2010
My previous GPS was a Magellan Roadmate 2000 which is quite a few years old. When it started routing me through parking lots for the shortest route, I knew it was time to replace it.

I shopped around for months before going with this particular GPS. So many bad reviews have scared me from many other models. The Megellan line is a solid performer but seemed limited, even restricted. I was ready for something new. This one fits the bill.

The first thing you notice is the physical aspects: it's small even though the screen is a good size. The mount is compact. Much smaller that the Magellan. I can put the entire GPS and all associated equipment in a small camera bag. Very nice. There is a metal frame around the GPS unit itself. It is loosely mounted and I can see it falling off if it were ever dropped. The power cord is plenty long if you need to mount it far from the outlet. The mount works very well even though it is small. I had cleaned the windshield recently with a special cleaner making it very slick and the Magellan mount had a hard time holding on but the Garmin stuck right to it. The power plugs into the rear instead of the side which seems odd. The only thing is you just have to plug in the power before mounting the GPS to the holder. The screen is the right size. Not too small, not too big.

On-line:
This unit, like other Garmin GPS', have additional things on-line that you can download for your unit. I really like this because it will allow you to keep your unit 'fresh.' You can download different vehicles to represent your car on the map. And you can add other voices if you get tired of the included ones. The ones on-line are all incredibly annoying, but you still have a choice. You can even download a program to use your own voice, free of charge. There are even games for your GPS if you want. All very nice options, even if I'm not planning on using them. Of course being able to update the map 4 times a year is super.

Actual use:
I found it odd with the way the program is laid out for adding destinations. If you have more than one to enter, you have to back out and go through the menus again. Considering that I only added multiple locations for my initial setup and don't expect I'll be doing that again, it's not a big deal.
It takes some time for the unit to first lock onto the satellites. Calculating routes actually takes longer than my old Magellan. It gives you a countdown as it is working out the route. The screen scrolls smoothly as you move through the map. The screen gives you plenty of information including your current speed and it updates quickly. If you wander off the route, it tells you that it's recalculating and doesn't blank the screen like the Magellan did. Re-routing is quick. The one feature that I really like is the voice. It does a good job of pronouncing street names. It speaks quickly and naturally most of the time. And it's informative, not stingy with the speaking. The speech does get a tad choppy but not distracting. I would like to see it give me directions a bit sooner when reaching a turn. It waits until I am just about at the turn, which is not good when you're on the highway. ETA estimates need some work. You have an on-screen ETA (which I really like) but it seems to think that I must be a speed demon and never stop at traffic lights. Even when driving 5-10 MPH over the limit for a long trip, the ETA estimated that I would have arrived 10 minutes earlier for my 100 minute trip. But the return trip was accurate and I was driving closer to the speed limit. Go figure.
The route calculated gives somewhat different results from the Magellan. It did a good job of giving me routes that avoided slow areas and traffic lights. The old Magellan would always come up with a return route that differed from the route to the destination. The Garmin doesn't do that. I've noticed that side street names will sometimes flip around and flail around the screen if you are on a winding road or the side street is at an odd angle. It can be distracting. It shows my own house at the opposite end of the street, so there are some inaccuracies in the map as well.

Overall:
I really like this GPS. It has a few things about it that come off as quirky, but it works well and I enjoy using it. There's nothing so bad about it that makes this unit difficult or even unusable. and it is user friendly. You have to invest a little time to get to know how it's organized if you've not had a Garmin before. I consider this a good buy and the price isn't bad for what you're getting. I expect I'll be enjoying this one for many years to come.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't count on it!, December 22, 2010
I replaced an older Garmin unit with this one and was, at first, very impressed with the features and screen functions. Before even using it, I registered the unit and updated the firmware and maps. Upon first use, the unit lost satellite reception three times on a relatively short trip. Thought it must be weather related or just the unit getting oriented. Every trip it did the same thing - the unit would lose satellite reception (using the suction cup on the window - so good visibility to sky and as many as 5 satellites were being received) and the unit would stop for anywhere between 3-10 minutes before it would find reception again. Called the Garmin tech rep who walked me through a reset, reloading firmware, etc. She instructed me that I'm supposed to bring the unit in the house every time I'm not in the car so it won't get cold or hot (get real!). Neither fix change a thing. It may be true that the unit "warming up" contributes to the problem, but I've used Garmin GPS units for over 10 years and rarely had a temperature related problem. Furthermore, the unit works fine when it's cold - the problem can occur any time after I'm starting to use it...randomly throughout the trip (as short as 3 miles) that the unit stops. Can't imagine what confusion this would cause traveling through a big, unfamiliar city. I'm sending the unit back. Amazon was great to work with. Garmin was not! Sorry, Garmin - your products have been "my only GPS" for all these years, but I think we're getting a divorce!

A follow-up. I returned the unit (great service from Amazon) and gave Garmin another try with a less expensive unit. The Nuvi 255W was significantly less expensive and has been totally reliable - even when very cold. And to my surprise it features nearly all the same things the 1300 had except the lifetime maps. By the way - I've never taken the 255W in to put it to bed at night! (as suggested by the Garmin tech to correct the intermittent satellite problem with the 1300!)

5.0 out of 5 stars With Free Lifetime Updates...the 1300LM at $99.99 is a no brainer, Best Bang for your GPS Buck!, December 3, 2010
James G. (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
As prior reviewers had mentioned, the Free Lifetime Updates is a huge factor in purchasing this GPS.

Coming from a Garmin Mobile 20 (in tandem using my old HP iPAQ h6315 and as my 1st GPS, this long ago discontinued Mobile 20 is a crude model indeed with NIL Garmin Support) user, I am well aware of the importance of base map updates..and this 1300LM's definitely fits the bill. The features and interface shall I say is definitely "light years" ahead compared from the archaic Mobile 20.

With a price too good to be true ($118-$18.01 Promo Code) of $99.99..I canceled my prior Garmin 265WT order (wifey's decision) and ordered instead for two units of the 1300LM (to each his/her own!).

With prices for the Garmin nuMaps Lifetime Update Card by itself currently running from $59.99 (Amazon) up to $119.99 (Target), it's like getting this new 2010 Garmin model for like..$40 from Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the older model Garmin Nuvi that I had..., December 5, 2010
Amazon Girlie "Personal Buyer :)" (Jacksonville, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I've had this for about 2 weeks now, haven't taken it on a trip yet, just used around town. I've only found 1 location so far that it located which was not correct. I did a spell name search for my daughter's school and it found someplace that was no where near the school. I resolved it by manually adding her school location (not that I need it to find the school, I use it when in traffic to see what time we may get there) by putting in the cross street intersection and then renaming it.

I have noticed that if for example Starbucks is not easily reached by the way I would normally drive, it will give you a route that may take you around the block so you can enter the Starbucks the correct way without having to make a u-turn or something. That's kind of an okay feature that my older Garmin didn't have.
The real test will be when we take our next vacation....let's see what you can do my new Garmin :)
Oh and I LOVE that I can get 4 map updates per year for life! I got my first one right after I took it out of the box.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazon description WRONG!!! No Lane Assist!!! (consider 1350), January 9, 2011
I've been through a gazillion Garmin nuvis. I'm on my fourth, a 1350LMT. My sons, significant other have had 2 or 3 each. I like nuvis for all the reasons given by other reviewers. This one's okay but a bit scaled down, hence only 4 stars.

In TWO places, the Amazon description claims this unit has Lane Assist, which I find extremely useful. So, I got one to give as a Christmas present. I recently asked how the recipient liked "Lane Assist" only to be told that it doesn't have it...and it's true! Of course, by now the packaging is long gone so there's no way to return it. I'm thinking of a short eBay sale if the unit (lifetime maps) can be reregistered.

Bottom line: NO LANE ASSIST! Seriously consider something like the 1350 before ultimately choosing the 1300.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I need, January 7, 2011
After reading many GPS reviews I've finally decided for Garmin nüvi 1300LM. Map and software update took about 50 minutes (cable internet). Satellite signal is usually acquired within 45 second after turning power on. Mine came with USB cable. This device is user friendly and don't require much time to learn. Maps are accurate and reasonably updated. Route selection is good sometimes it chooses trip that is shorter but not faster. It has a Detour function that offers another alternative. Re-routing is quick.Sound is clear and loud. Size and screen are just right.This is my first GPS and I like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but less refined than its predecessor, January 15, 2011
It's really frustating when the new and improved version of a product is a less satisfying execution. I have a Garmin 255WT and saw the 1300LMT advertised as basically the replacement for it with free lifetime map upgrades (although I'll bet that in a couple of years, they'll find some excuse to not be able to upgrade the maps and we'll have to buy another unit). To be fair, this unit maintains the ease of use and efficiency of the older unit. It doesn't fail to efficiently get you where you need to be with intuitive and clean interface screens. It is much more intuitive and has clearer interfaces than its Magellan counterpart, which I also tried and ran next to this.

The frustrating part is that Garmin has made a bunch of small trade-offs that are lesser examples of its predecessor. Examples are: the formerly all black case now has a bright aluminum bezel that reflects sunlight into your eyes; the human sounding female voice is replaced by a less human sounding, more garbled voice; the standard 3d screens have speed and arrival time fields that are unnecessarily larger - the numbers are the same size, but the larger surrounding borders hide a greater amount of map information; the speed limit information has been ommitted - perhaps because of liability issues, the old 255WT was wrong about 10% of the time; the crisp graphics are replaced with more stylized perspective pictures - I guess to look newer, but they are less precise and .. sloppy looking; the trip computer now has a stupidly large round circle that does nothing but show the speed -at the expense of being able to display other trip data - which now has to be scrolled into view; the trip data has eliminated tenths of a mile, why??!!, it can no longer be used for precise distance measurement. I ended up returning the unit because I just couldn't justify buying something that was worse in so many ways than I already had. I vainly hope that this commentary may somehow encourage others to also refuse to support Garmin's degradation of their products.

5.0 out of 5 stars get there easily, December 31, 2010
Gets you there, and back, easily. If these features suit you (they are the basics with free maps) this unit will please you. You can spend much more, get many more features, amaze your friends but you won't get there more quickly, surely or easily. The only effort is putting in the address (you will need the address) before you start.
I have tested it under extreme circumstances (rural areas, blizzard conditions, unknown territory). Easy to set up. Easy to learn. Absolutely correct directions and arrival times.

Rate and Discover Movies