Most helpful positive review
126 of 132 people found the following review helpful
on December 12, 2010
This is my third GPS, and the best.
1. It is super fast acuqiring signal.
2. It is very sensitive to your car movement, allowing fast route correction alert and other turning alert.
3. The route algorithm is excellet. It actually give me better route in areas that I am very familiar with.
4. Very intuitive user interface. You do not need manual.
5. Text to speech is excellent, very smooth, just like real speech.
6. It does tell you your destination is on right or left when you arrive. Very nice!
7. The buildin bluetooth is very good. The voice is clear and loud. The other side can hear me clearly everytime. Much better than my current Jabra bluetooth unit, which goes to dumpster now. :-)
8. 4.3 inch screen is perfect. I returned a 5 inch GPS couple months ago, just because it is too big and blocks my sight.
9. Touch sreen is easy to use. Very responsive.
10. "Where Am I" is great feature. I used it to find fuel station once when I ran out of gas and it did well.
11. The line assistance works. It really helps. I am surprised that this kind of info is even available in local driving.
1. There are ads popping up. Not very annoying (just one line on your right up corner, and only when the car stops (say, in front of a red light). But it is still a big con and the biggest one.
2. The map updating requires installing new software on your computer. It took more than 1 hour to finish the whole process.
3. Hard to overview your overall route. You have to use zoom out button to see your overall route, which is not very convenient.
4. The map interface display limited info. For example, you have to select one of the following to be displayed: your estimated arrval time, you remaining distance to your destination, etc. I usually want these infos listed.
5. No battery indicator.
6. Self-start everytime when I start driving. (someone may put it in the pros category, but I do not like this idea.)
7. I have to press some stupid button everytime before starting to use the unit, saying I understand some terms blah, blah. Very annoying.
1. I have not seen how the traffic info helps yet. Maybe I can see it when there is a big accident on the way. But I feel it should work given that it accurately tells me there is no traffic when there is really no traffic :-)
I gave 5 star just because I really love it though the cons list is not short :-)
Update (12/15/2010): The traffic function works like a charm. It actually routed me in a different way (about 2 miles longer than my normal route) in my way home after work when I took off early and there was heavy traffic. The new route saved me about 20 minutes in a 40-60 minutes drive as I knew how long it normally takes just by following my normal route. The route is selected based on accurate estimation on delays in each routes. The delay minutes for the selected route is shown on the map and is updated in real time. The feature really really works. I feel very happy I bought this unit with traffic update.
Update (12/27/2010): I found an issue during extensive use of the unit. When somebody calls in, the unit may reboot itself automatically. It happens for about 1/3 of incoming calls (I have not figured out the pattern when/why an income call trigers reboot. Outgoing call has no such issue. I think it is a serious bug and I therefore downgrade my rating from 5 to 4.
Update (01/23/2011): I found a way to solve some of newly discovered issues. One day, the unit lost its voice. The bluetooth stopped working as well. I pressed the power buttom for 10 seconds. And then turn it on. The issue was resolved, though I have to set up my bluetooth from my phone again. Another issue is that the traffic coverage is not so great. For example, in Reno, NV, there is no traffic info.