Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes

TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 1, 2011
(Edited on 1/3/12 with comparison of Garmin versus an Android phone [see page 6 of comments])
(Review updated on Sept. 12th 2011 with summary of changes at the bottom of this review; Garmin software updated verson 3.30.)

>> I've written a rather long review for the 2360LMT, so these first 5 paragraphs are
a quick summary. Note that Amazon has lumped the various 2350 & 2370 models into the
same bucket of reviews, which have slightly different features.

>> 1 ** THE UNIT WORKS AS INTENDED and is great with basic navigation, but there are
some rough spots with some of the bonus features, and sparse documentation. Build
quality is typical of older Garmin units -- solid, not particularly svelte. The touch
screen is fine for entering letters and tapping the "OK" button, but the "drag"
function when scrolling the map around with my fingertip is inconsistent and requires
heavier than normal finger pressure.

>> 2 ** VOICE RECOGNITION works very well, but it's slow on the uptake and not
perfect -- so expect to repeat yourself often. At each step it guides you with a voice
prompt, or you can turn voice prompts off and follow prompts on the screen for faster
entries. Speaking street addresses is surprisingly accurate; voice-navigating the menu
not so smooth.

>> 3 ** THE JUNCTION VIEW screen has been "fixed" with the latest device software: it
displays representations of freeway junctions and off-ramps side-by-side with the map
to help pick the proper lane. The LANE ASSIST function can be a help, but
simultaneously may lead to confusion at complicated freeway junctions. ROUTE
RECALCULATIONS could be faster, but processor speed and animation overall is fast and

>> 4 ** DISPLAY is adequately bright except in very bright sunlight, and the screen is
just reflective enough to pose viewing issues unless adjusted precisely. VOLUME is more
than adequate, and can be adjusted/muted by voice command. The TRAFFIC feature seems to
work OK, though not as good as Google traffic on my BlackBerry, and it doesn't make it
clear when my route is being re-drawn due to an accident or congestion. ADVERTISEMENTS
seem to have been eliminated with the latest software updates. (And just like that, as
of 10/20/11, the ads are back! No idea what happened -- didn't update the unit software
or do anything out of the ordinary. *sigh*)

>> 5 ** OVERALL, I recommend this unit. Despite the frustrations I detail below, it
offers the most usable features, with little fluff, for a very good price. Don't expect
perfection, but do expect a very capable GPS with consistent lifetime traffic and a
voice recognition system that makes **some** data entry / navigation tasks easier than
on touch-screen nav units.

>> So with that summary out of the way, on with my review...

I've used a narrow-screen Garmin 200 for the past few years, as well as Google Maps on my BlackBerry Storm. I hesitated purchasing a new GPS because between the two of those devices, I was pretty well covered to get anywhere I needed to go.

But the 2360LMT came along and I couldn't ignore the list of "extra" features it packed in for the price. And let's face it: A cell phone is great for finding stuff, but not actually navigating while driving, and the old nuvi 200 lacked voice recognition, which I considered a significant safety compromise as well as an input hassle.

Initial power-on / boot-up went smoothly with just a couple of "Accept" screens and reminders to register the product with Garmin. No additional setup steps were required, though it took a few minutes for my initial position fix to be calculated. After that, position fix occurs imperceptibly, even when I power the unit on in a city miles away from where I turned it off. However, boot-up takes about 35 seconds to where the device is ready to receive input, and that feels like an eternity when I want to get navigating.

Build Quality & Screen: the 2360LMT isn't "razor thin" like some of the recent, more expensive Garmin lineup. It's not much thinner than my old 200. The screen is reasonably bright, decent resolution, and wide. Brightness can be adjusted with voice commands while driving. If I have sunlight shining on a light colored shirt, the screen tends to reflect that back at me, but can be minimized with very precisely adjusting the tilt of the unit. The animation is smooth, less jerky than my old unit, and the zoom level "flies in" and out depending on vehicle speed & location relative to upcoming turns. It's a very fluid presentation, and Garmin has nicely tweaked the auto-zoom settings in their latest software updates.

One gig on the animation is in an instance when the unit expects me to turn left, but I choose to continue straight ahead, the map follows the predicted route through the turn, then recognizes I've continued straight, so quickly corrects back. If I were at a complex 6-way intersection or round-about in a residential neighborhood, this feature might mistakenly lead me to think that I had turned to the correct street, and I'd prefer it to not use this predictive positioning feature.

The display colors darken automatically at dusk and, surprisingly, darken when I enter the long Caldecott tunnel near my home, even though the tunnel itself isn't depicted on the map. The daytime backlight brightness is stored independently of the nighttime brightness, so when I set it at 100% at noon and 10% at night, it stores both of those settings.

Portrait Mode: the unit has an orientation sensor, so can be used in portrait mode, which is a nice change on long, straight stretches of freeway to "see" off in the distance. The unit takes advantage of portrait mode by automatically zooming back the display a notch, and adjusting the viewing angle at which it looks ahead, to maximize the view towards the horizon. However, for navigating around town where I'm making turns, I prefer the standard landscape mode, where side streets are more readily visible.

Touch Screen Sensitivity: not so hot. Finger taps register fine, but scrolling/"dragging" the map around, for instance on the "show traffic" overview map display, is frustratingly slow. It requires a unusually heavy finger press, not at all like my old nuvi 200. The map doesn't always move, or moves in the wrong direction, or "snaps back" to its previous location when I lift my finger.

Voice Recognition: pretty impressive, yet frustrating. Thankfully, this feature has prevented me from having to use the touch screen much. I say "Voice Command" and the unit pops up a list of commands I can say, such as "find address" or "search by name." I say "Pegasus" and (on the second try; 1st try got me "Recruiters") it confirms, "1. Pegasus?" I say "yes" or "one" and it searches and quickly finds "Pegasus Cycle Works" in Danville. I say "Navigate!" and it plots a route. Very clean.

Likewise, I say "find address" and it asks, "what city in California?" I say "Hayward" and after multiple tries getting that one right (kept wanting to send me to Orange and Onida), it asks for the house number. I don't have to draw out "Four... Two... Six... Eight" and wait for each digit; no, I say "forty-two sixty-eight" and it throws the whole address up on the screen pretty quickly. Again, very clean, and almost always accurate. Alternatively, I can say "spell city" and then spell it out, letter by letter. However, unlike with the typed-in entries, using voice commands I've found no way to skip the city and go straight to the street address.

The downsides? Besides having trouble recognizing some names, there are some other rough spots: When each prompt is spoken -- for instance, "*Boing* What city in California?" I have to pause a beat before I speak the city (there is a "lips" icon in the upper right corner; it turns red when the unit is speaking to me or processing my verbal command, then turns green when it's ready to listen for my command, which takes about a second after it finishes its question). I'd prefer the *Boing* come at the end of the prompt, as soon as it's ready to listen. Alternatively, the volume can be muted to turn off voice prompts, or, as Amazon member maffeo pointed out in the comments to this review, there is an "expert mode" (Tools > Voice Commands > Wrench Icon) that turns off voice prompts (on-screen prompts only). Either method makes voice entry of addresses much faster, accurate and less frustrating.

Using the Favorites list is not well integrated with the Voice Commands. Creating new Favorites from an address entered via voice requires me to back out to the menu, click on "Recently Found", select the location/address, navigate to it, click on the navigation screen to display the overhead map, then select the sidebar menu to bring up the Save prompt. Not intuitive at all, and requires me to begin navigation TWICE to a destination just in order to save it as a favorite. This process could be much more refined to make it easier to program favorites into the unit while killing time.

Also, selecting a Favorite destination from the list using voice commands requires me to scroll through the list, two Favorites at a time (or, if I'm in portrait view, six Favorites at a time), until the destination appears. The Favorites are sorted in order of closest proximity, so when I want directions to Auntie Ginger's house 35 miles away in San Jose, it'll be at the bottom of the list, and I have to scroll down to her entry -- on screen at a time -- before I can select it. This is majorly annoying: if the GPS can find every Home Depot within the bay area with a simple voice command, it should be able to pick out "Ginger" from a list of 1000 favorites! Grrrr... Meanwhile, I'm have to option to access Favorites via the touch menu, where I can simply type "G I N..." and "Aunt Ginger's" quickly pops up as an option.

Lastly, Voice Command recognizes commands over steady background road noise, but doesn't seem to tolerate commands when I've got the radio louder than a whisper, or when I'm accelerating (presumably because of the changing pitch of the background noise?).

Lane Assist: A collection of lane guidance arrows neatly tucked in the upper left corner of the display. A two lane exit on a 5 lane freeway will be represented with five 'up' arrows, with the two right-most arrows bolded. A nice feature, but with problems: For instance, if two off-ramps are closely spaced, the lane assist arrows only take into account the exit I'm navigating towards. So if there's an extra exit-only lane for the first off-ramp, the Lane Assist may indicate that I could be in that lane, causing me to exit early. If a 2-lane freeway exit is to be followed by a left turn, the GPS will still tell me it's okay to be in the right exit lane, which may only turn right. On city streets with double turn lanes, chances are Lane Assist won't know they're both there and only show a single arrow. If it does, it doesn't indicate which lane to be in to prepare for a subsequent left or right turn (such as when a turn is followed almost immediately by another turn). Lastly, with the unit oriented in portrait mode, if the freeway has more than four lanes, everything after the first three are summarily "cut off" and replaced with ellipses (...).

Junction View: beginning from about .8 miles from a freeway junction or exit, this static pictogram is displayed to approximate what the freeway interchange looks like, providing assistance in choosing a lane. With the current software, and with the device oriented in traditional Landscape view, Garmin eliminated a problem that removed all data (including the all important distance remaining countdown) from the screen. The display enters a "split screen" mode that shows the moving map, the distance remaining data, and the Junction View. With the old software, Junction View was only displayed for a few seconds -- barely enough time to digest the info -- but with the software update, it stays displayed until the junction is reached.

Voice Quality: oh, so good. The speech synthesizer has a slight warble and is unmistakably "computery," but is very articulate and tends to pronounce difficult names well enough. From time to time, it does clip some complicated pronunciations, or put emphasis on the wrong syllable. Volume is very good; not at all difficult to hear, even with the radio on. Volume can be easily adjusted with voice commands while driving.

Route Recalculations: needs improvement; I swear my 200 was faster! I've thrown a few wrong turns at the 2360 and it catches them quickly, but often takes so long to spit out a new route that I'm already past the next turn, which spurs another recalc. Others have speculated this is due to the ecoroute and/or NuRoute, and that turning these off will speed recalculation times.

Speed Limits, Cameras & EcoRoute: neat gimmicks, but still gimmicks! The map usually displays the current speed limit in the lower right corner, next to current speed -- which appears in red if it's too fast (though the readout in red numbers doesn't "pop" and easily go unnoticed). I usually drive with the volume muted, but I believe there's an audible warning (a pleasant chime tone) to go along with overspeed, however it's either inconsistent or sometimes I must not be hearing it. If speed limit data isn't available, a '+' sign appears that can be pressed; the screen changes to one where the speed limit can be entered manually. Speed limits through a local school zone were almost exactly matched to the physical locations of the signs. This, of course, is dependent on the data available, and at other locations the speeds haven't matched up correctly. Intersections initiate a double-chime if a red light camera is nearby; however, this is annoying when I receive a double-chime on the freeway when there's an intersection off on a side street with a camera.

EcoRoute goes one further and, when activated, critiques items such as acceleration, braking and speed, and assigns a score. You'll need to input your vehicle's city and highway fuel economy and the current price per gallon to enable this feature, which gives some routing alternatives, too. A small "current (instantaneous) score" icon then appears on the main map display so that I can challenge myself to save some gas, however hitting a perfect 99% is as easy as driving the speed limit, so any sins committed due to hard acceleration, speeding or lots of brake tapping can be nearly instantly forgiven, making this instantaneous display of questionable value. I'd rather have it display a score for the current trip or for the day, just to give me a longer term objective to strive for.

Where Am I: this is kind of a neat function. When pressed, it provides a one-screen readout of your GPS coordinates, elevation, nearest address and intersection, and buttons to "SAVE" to Favorites, or locate nearby gas, police or hospitals. Seems valuable on a couple of different levels. However, if you park in front of business and select "Where Am I" and then "Save", it will guesstimate an address on the right hand side of the steet, and thereafter always say "Arriving at Business, on Right" even if it's on the left -- I've found no way to change this. I also am unable to use this feature to correct an incorrect address without the unit changing the location of where it "thinks" it should be. So my home, for instance, is depicted three houses away from where is actually is (when I enter the correct street address), OR I can use "Where Am I" to log the exact location of my home, but then an incorrect address is stored.

Traffic: In the SF Bay area, most of the highways have coverage. Garmin has a coverage map on their website. Traffic data is received through a module integrated into the power cord, and if the GPS is running on battery, you'll receive no traffic data. The traffic alert screen pulls up a list of highway incidents in the area, even if there are no delays. Or, you can drill down a level in the menu and see just the delays along the planned route. Unfortunately, this requires a bit of tapping on the touchscreen, and there are no voice commands I'm aware of to delve into any of these traffic sub-menus.

On a recent trip home, for no obvious reason, the unit tried to route me via a slightly out-of-the-way freeway. I drove to my preferred freeway, so it tried to re-route me onto yet another out-of-the-way freeway! It wasn't until I ignored the GPS and merged on to MY preferred freeway that the "traffic" icon lit up red, indicating a delay on this route. On the other hand, another recent drive home directed me to stay on the freeway one exit further than it normally navigates to, yet at the same time gave me a traffic warning for that particular stretch of freeway. Weird and inconsistent.

I'd love for Garmin to provide some sort of integration with smartphones, because the traffic data I receive on my BlackBerry's Google Maps application is so much more realistic than the smattering of incidents the nuvi receives from Navteq.

Multiple routes: After I select my ultimate destination, I can add additional destinations in reverse sequential order. However, there's a bug. If I'm picking my son up from day care, then heading home, I'll enter "Home" first, then "Day Care." But, say I'm now leaving day care and get a phone call to pick up something from the grocery store. I search for nearby grocery stores, pick one and add it to my route, and get directions. Upon arriving at the store, the GPS will try to route me back to day care before directing me home. Odd. Definitely a bug, and an annoying one at that.

Alternately, I can dig a little in the menu and choose the "Trip Planner" function, which lets me pick my destinations more rapidly (saving route calculations until the end). This tool also allows me to set desired arrival times to the destinations, presumably to alarm me when to leave. It also allows trips to be named and saved. The drawback? Once I'm driving a "Trip" I can't modify it. If I interrupt navigation and search for coffee near by, it doesn't allow me to "Add to Current Route" as is normally an available option; instead, it automatically cancels my "Trip" navigation and selects the coffee shop as my new ultimate destination. And I've found no way to resume the "Trip" without starting from the beginning.

Other Gee-Whiz: When powering the unit down, a summary screen displays listing total miles and cost of the trip based on fuel consumption estimates. Neato, and puts a new perspective on what it's costing me to drive somewhere, even though it's only really a rough estimate of fuel costs (not total vehicle ownership costs -- that would be a shocker!!!).

Mounting and Power: The suction cup mount has a power adapter built in to it, so if you're the type who leaves the cup & clip mounted at all times, you simply detach your GPS from the mount and that's it! Or, alternatively, you can plug the power cord directly in to the unit. Note, however, that the power cord is a fat beast of a cord, thicker than the one that goes to my vacuum cleaner. Certainly makes me wish these units have better battery life. Like my older Garmin, this sits on my dashboard, mounted to a Gilsson Non-Skid Beanbag Dashboard Mount

Documentation: nil. There was a "Quick Start Manual" in the box, which should be enough for an intuitive GPS, but as you've read, this unit has many, many advanced features to explore and their operation (and the system's logic behind them) is anything but second nature.

On-Screen Advertisements: Initially, ads popped up near destinations or at stoplights. Lots of complaints about this here in the reviews. But with recent Garmin software updates, my unit is no longer displaying ads. I can't say for sure when this change happened, as the ads never bothered me too much. But of late, they're definitely not popping up.

Up to now, I counted the small screen of my old 200 as an attribute. Who needs a huge screen just to navigate streets and highways? Plus, small screens are easier to tuck away in the center console. But the wide, high res screen on the 2360LMT is proving to be so useful for displaying lots of data and nice images, with room for finger-worthy buttons and easily readable data. I certainly am appreciating the bigger display.

Despite the list of frustrations I've expressed, I'm pleased with this unit and find it a worthy update to my very capable, map-current nuvi 200. As a basic navigation device, it is excellent. But Garmin is attempting to market this as a "driving companion," something that will be on all the time, not just when driving someplace new. And from that perspective, it has some neat ideas built into it, but it needs a bit of improvement in function, voice integration, polish, and documentation (especially documentation!).

Looking forward to never paying for map updates again! Mine came loaded with CN North American NT 2011.31 and NavTEQ "Lifetime Subscription" traffic.

>> Below are two updates I posted after my original review. Some of the comments I make in these two updates I have also incorporated into the body of my main review.

(Update 5/17/11) After about 5 months of daily use, I'm hot and cold on this unit and even considering dropping it to three stars -- again, as strictly a GPS, it's super, but as a tool for daily driving, it has some problems and a lot of untapped potential.
- I updated to the latest map and firmware. The process was SLOW on a USB port, over an hour do download, decompress and install all the updates.
- The newest firmware has increased the boot time by 10 seconds. It now takes 35 SECONDS from power-on to "Agree to Terms" screen. This is an incredibly long time in the grand scheme, in that I can start my car, put my seatbelt on, and drive three or four residential blocks in that period of time. This delay SEVERELY IMPACTS my desire to use this unit on a routine basis, as it's stored in my center console and is mounted to a bean bag dash mount that I store out-of-sight on my passenger-side floor.
- The Predicted Destination feature is extremely unreliable. Some, it gets right often, and then it's great. Most times, it doesn't work at all, or shows the wrong destination an an entirely oddball time. Example: I leave for work in the same 20 minute window on the same five days every week, yet it regularly predicts I'm going to work when I pull up to my house on the flip side of the clock, and almost never when I'm actually getting in the car to leave for work.
- The Predicted Destination is stubborn. If it thinks I'm going to some address North, and I ignore it an get on the freeway headed South, it sticks with that original anticipated destination for a long ways, then finally gives up.
- The inability to sort through Favorites by name continues to frustrate me, and makes it unnecessarily time consuming to pick stored destinations farther away (due to all the required scrolling through the list of Favorites).
- Battery life is inconsistent, and definitely less than three hours. Mine is plugged in almost always (in order to take advantage of the traffic receiver integrated with the power cord), but there are occasions when I run with it unplugged and I get roughly 2 hours, though sometimes much shorter.
- Voice Command responsiveness hasn't improved with use: sometimes it's fairly accurate, other times I repeat myself often at various voice levels before giving up and reverting to touch screen. A real mixed bag.
- Just try and voice navigate to a nearby Lowe's. Touch screen? No problem. Voice? I've tried a dozen different pronunciation variations of "Lowe's" and it won't find it.
- Traffic has been very good and very bad. A number of times, it has rerouted me into much worse traffic. Generally, though, it's handy. And ETAs are generally very accurate, though it does tend to come up with some funky street routings rather than sticking with the freeway.

My list of "dislikes" / complaints and suggestions has gone in to Garmin's customer service, but based on past communications with this company, I don't expect much. I sincerely believe Garmin put minimal effort into this unit to bring us something economical and slightly slimmer than the previous generation, with valuable but not fully developed features tacked on. I hope I hope I hope Garmin sees fit to address the lack of voice system integration into the base software (rather than added on) via a firmware update. But I'm more inclined Garmin is just coasting along with this unit and not really interested in developing it further.

(Update: 9/12/11 - software v3.30 installed) -- Garmin has posted about a half-dozen software updates to this unit, in addition to the regular map updates. Here are a few worthwhile (worth mentioning, that is) changes:

1. Garmin has separated their "Web Updater" (device software) and "Lifetime Updater" (map updates), so now I have two pieces of Garmin software installed on my PC. The new Lifetime Updater software is supposed to download map updates automatically, then inform me when they're ready to install. Web Updater works as before -- I must manually run the program to check for updates (or look on the Garmin website). Some problems installing these using Google Chrome; had to revert to Internet Explorer to get to the Active X permissions box.

2. On-screen ads seem to be gone! Yay! (...AND they're back as of 10/20/11. )

3. Device boot time has swung back to 35 seconds. Boo!

4. "Junction View" has been revised: In landscape mode, it's now split screen (side-by-side) with the map display, and stays visible all the way to the junction. It now pops up a picture for upcoming off-ramps, too (was previously for major freeway interchanges).

What's funky is Garmin has done an overhaul on the Junction View artwork. It's nearly photo-realistic now, featuring a clouded sky with gradient lighting, lamp posts, freeway overpasses that cross over the junction / off-ramp being depicted, center divider walls... all very real looking but in most cases not a good representation of what you'll actually be seeing. And in this effort, they "scrunched" the letters on depictions of the overhead signage, making them a little more difficult to read.

As best I can tell, none of the other criticisms I've leveled against this GPS have been addressed, namely the lack of integration of the voice menu vs. the touch menu.
6565 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2011
I've had my 2360LMT for a few weeks now and am generally happy with the directions it provides and most of the features. What I am not happy with is that there is no way to turn off the advertising "offers" that clutter the screen without turning off the traffic information completely. I see another reviewer has pointed out that the traffic information is apparantly paid for by these ads but I wish that had been stated somewhere in all the product information both here and on the Garmin website. I might have still ordered this model but I might also have opted for one where I purchased a traffic subscription as I did with my old Garmin 760. When they told me this model came with lifetime maps and traffic I assumed it was like what I was familiar with on my 760. Right now I feel like I've paid Garmin a lot of money to have someone peddle their wares to me. It's as annoying as purchasing a movie on DVD and then having to sit through ads before being allowed to watch the movie. I've turned off the traffic to kill the ads so I've ended up paying for something I am now not going to use. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2011
Overall, this is a big improvement over my 855T and even cheaper so I'm basically happy. I've been using it less than a week but here are some initial observations:

- Voice input has improved a lot. It seems less sensitive to background noise. The steering wheel button that starts input on my old 855 is now replaced with an activation word of the user's choosing. Activation has been flawless for me.
- Portrait mode has quickly become my favorite way to navigate. Besides giving more visibility to the route ahead, it also splits into 2 screens to allow Junction View to not override the map like it does in standard mode.
- Very fast at establishing its position. It also knows the orientation of the vehicle from the get go.
- Voice control over the Bluetooth hands-free phone is so cool that I've disconnected my car's Bluetooth system even though my car has bigger speakers. My car doesn't have voice command and it doesn't let me dial while driving, so this Garmin solves both problems. My only complaint is lack of a voice speed dial of most commonly used phone numbers. It automatically imported my entire iPhone address book of over 3000 contacts. That's cool for touchscreen search, but impossibly unwieldy for doing voice-calling-by-name.
- Lots of new gimmicky secondary features such as an expanded Eco driving analysis.

- In portrait mode, the unit is very unattractive. It merely uses the old base design, so the product label turns sideways and the cable protrudes from the left.
- Touchscreen is no worse than before but it is hardly a multi-touch device like an iPhone. It is way too slow and clumsy for that.
- Unlike some other traffic systems that feature lifetime activation, this one uses the advertising-supported model. The promos aren't too bad though and there are some good deals offered to drivers. This model has the traffic antenna as a wort in the cable that sits high on your dashboard as opposed to a larger plug that sits far away at your cigarette lighter. Some people think this is uglier.
- Routing calculation and re-routing calculation is slow. Slower than the 855 for sure and sometimes painfully slow when the device is hung.
- Which brings me to my final complaint - It hangs a lot and suddenly snaps out of it after some random amount of time. The rating really ought to be lower for this reason alone but I assume that a firmware update can fix it eventually.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2011
For all the amazing things this unit does there is one crucial feature that has been removed by Garmin that was available on far less sophisticated previous models. That is the ability to send custom routes you have made using Googlemaps, Mapquest or Garmin Road Trip from your computer to your GPS. Garmin has deleted what is perhaps THE most important feature of any modern day piece of electronic gadgetry: the ability to exchange data with a computer for ease of use. To be clear you can upload single points, but not routes.

I have owned a Nuvi 750 for several years and have stored on my computer dozens of custom routes. I depend on them. I just found out from Garmin customer service that they cannot be loaded onto the Nuvi 2360. Even the two very nice customer service people I spoke to at Garmin were unaware of this and seemed very surprised. They insisted it was possible until they actually tried it.

I did a LOT of research before I bought this unit, and Garmin's online selection guide clearly states that the unit "Stores 100 routes." That's why I expected to be able to do this. But I just found out the only routes it stores are those created manually, point by point, on the Garmin unit itself using the Trip Planner feature. So now if I want to use the routes I have on my old unit I have to rebuild them all.

There are workarounds, but these require a lot of extra work on the part of the user that are much more difficult than making a route on Googlemaps, for example, and changing it to go where I want it, and uploading it.

For example. Adding a waypoint in Trip Planner is the same as adding an address or intersection. So if you are adding say, six waypoints to create the route you want, you have to enter six destinations in the right order. That could amount to inputting hundreds of characters with my fat sweaty fingers that can barely type on a computer keyboard, forget about a GPS. My eyes are so bad I can hardly see something unless it is four feet in front of me and I'm partially dyslexic to boot.

Now you can also type those six addresses one at a time into--guess what--Mapquest, Googlemaps, or Road Trip and upload those one at a time. They wind up in your favorite places list and then you can use them to create a trip plan. Frankly, this is a kludge. I only want to upload the addresses I am traveling to. I don't want go to the trouble of having to install a list of addresses and intersections I have no intention of going to just to create a route. They only clutter up my Favorite Places list and then I have to take the trouble to delete them one by one.

Or, say you want to use Trip Planner to add a waypoint that is the middle of a highway, so that you will not have to look up those phony intersections. Before this, when I created a route on my computer, wherever I dragged a route to a new location a waypoint would automatically be added. To do that now, I have to look up the latitude and longitude coordinates on Google Earth, copy them down with a pencil and paper, and enter them into the Garmin manually. I tried it, and I thought I would actually go insane before I correctly entered the sequence of numbers for the longitude of just the first waypoint. I gave up.

It was also suggested by Garmin customer service that I could use my Garmin's Myroutes feature to learn my routes, but that assumes I already know where I am going, and go that way often. I travel most of these routes once a year... and If I knew where I was going, I would not need the GPS.

Today I looked at Garmin's selection guide as well as Amazon's and I could not tell which units in the entire bewildering, 27-model Garmin line will allow you to upload custom routes from a computer. So if you want to do this on your new GPS, you'd better dig in and find out which ones can. Don't depend on Garmin customer service to know, they are kind, but it did not seem they were well informed. Also don't depend on the shills writing reviews online to tell you this. I could not find it mentioned in any review.

Don't even get me started on the popup ads that appear on your GPS as a condition for receiving "free" lifetime traffic. It is unethical and unconscionable not to tell a customer that this is part of the deal. I would not have opted for the traffic receiver at all had I known.

I am giving this product just two stars because among the many things it does very well, it has lost a crucial piece of functionality, and the popup ads should not be there.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 20, 2011
This is the third GPS I have bought in about four years. It is by far the best. My last one was a Magellan RoadMate 1470 4.7-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator. It finally croaked! It had been threatening for some time. Peace be with it! Before that, I had a Garmin nüvi 660 4.3-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Naviagtor (Refurbished). Mine was new, not refurbished, but you cannot get there on Amazon anymore. That one went brain dead!

I first was looking at the Garmin nüvi 3790LMT 4.3-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates. It had a hefty price tag and I was waiting to see if the price would drop. Then I heard about the Garmin nüvi 2360LMT. It had not yet been released, so I waited. I liked what I read about it. It's was also much cheaper than the 3790 and seemed to have the same features, although not as thin. I also heard about the TomTom GO 2505TM 5-Inch Portable Bluetooth GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic & Maps and the TomTom TomTom GO 2405TM 4.3-Inch Portable Bluetooth GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic & Maps. It came down to deciding between the Garmin nüvi 2360LMT & the TomTom GO 2405TM. I must admit that the reviews were the most helpful resource available to me in this process of elimination.

Obviously, I bought the Garmin nüvi 2360LMT. So far, I am very glad that I did.

The Voice Commands are great. I am fascinated with how this works and how accurate it has been so far. I also love the nüRoute Technology with trafficTrends and myTrends features. It began to learn some of my routes on the second trip it made. It also likes my choices of short-cuts and prefers them as I do.

The Bluetooth synched quickly to my cell. It downloaded my phonebook. I am also impressed with the "handsfree" voice activated calling. You give it the command "phone" and it gives you the options: 1. Dial Number, 2. Dial Contact, 3 Dialed Recently. If a contact has more than one number, these come up on the screen so you can choose. It does have trouble with abbreviations we might use, especially if there is no standard pronunciation for them, but that's understandable. I have not received any complaints from anyone about the quality of the sound.

Software & map updates worked well. There were a few glitches that I noticed and these were corrected by the new software. The Free Lifetime Map and Traffic Updates are real bonuses. It is hard to believe that this comes with all the other features for this price. The product description Amazon provides is very accurate.

My advice, if you need a GPS: Take advantage of this and buy one. From what I have experienced, I do not think you will be disappointed.

Update: I did not realize that this came with a trial subscription to Cyclops(TM) Safety Cameras - U.S. & Canada. Driving in metropolitan areas, soon after purchase, I saw it at work. It was notifying with a distinct "bell" when I was .1 miles from a traffic camera. The location also appeared on the map. What a fantastic feature! I had no idea how many are hidden in our cities. I immediately bought the "one-time" download for $8.49 to try this for a longer period of time. If it saves getting traffic tickets, this is a no-brainer. This is by far the best GPS I've seen!

Update 2: I bought the Garmin ecoRoute HD Vehicle Diagnostics Communicator unit that works with the GPS unit via Bluetooth. The Garmin nüvi 2360LMT unit works flawlessly with this. It's a nice diagnostic device or toy depending on how you look at it. As I said in my review on its webpage, I believe the ecoRoute HD is a work in progress because future software updates by Garmin can affect the usefulness of this product and the number of features that it supports. You can read the entire review there. Regardless, the ecoRoute HD adds another piece of functionality to the nüvi 2360LMT and its overall usefulness. And, that's a plus!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2010
Garmin has the very nice capability to fix features with downloadable software and firmware updates through the MyDashboard feature on their website so I am hoping they will fix the problems. The new 2360 has all of the features of the old 755T but moved around. And all these seem to work just as satisfactorily as they worked on the 755T which is a navigator that I used extensively including a weekly commute between San Jose and Berkeley.

After a good shake down of the new 2360 and getting past the confusion from features that have been moved around and hidden under 3-bar buttons which push a few features down a level and thus require finding them hidden under the 3-bar buttons since it is not always clear what one can expect to them. For example, "show map" is available under the ubiquitous 3-bar button in one context, but not another. Until you learn it, you will have to try the 3-bar button to see if it is there. On a couple of occasions I thought that features available in the 755T were no longer available until I thought to try the current 3-bar button.

The new 2360LMT still has the junction view/lane-assist problem that I reported on in October, however it has be partly fixed (this problem is described later in the review).

However, with the new voice controlled operations of the 2360 series, there are a couple problems that the touch controlled operations don't have. I have called support on both of these problems to confirm that they indeed exist and that I wasn't missing something.

In touch and voice activated mode you can search for points of interest, but if you are on a route, going somewhere, in touch controlled mode you can search along the current route but in voice controlled mode you can not. This is a disappointment. To explain, lets pretend you are driving up the bay along a route you set up on the Garmin, and you get hungry for a hamburger. In Voice command mode you can only find the ones near you, but not necessarily close to your route, so you may spend some time trying to identify one that is ahead of you on your route rather than behind or without access from your route. On the other hand, in touch command mode, the first entry on the search results is going to be the next place along your route that fits your search criteria.

A bigger problem with voice controlled operations is the use of favorites. Unlike the touch command, you can not search favorites. This is a real problem for me because I imported 120 favorites from my old 755T and in order to get to 50th on the list, I would have to say "down" 25 times to get there. Worse yet, the new nuvi 2360 supports up to 1000 favorites. Could you imagine having to say "down" 500 times to find the favorite entry you want to navigate to? For the sake of fairness, you can search in touch command mode and immediately find your entry, but in California that means pulling off of the freeway and parking your car since it is not legal to hand operate a navigator when you are driving.

Why in the world they didn't include the search capability for the favorites list is a complete mystery as they do include the search capability for the main points of interest list. Logically speaking if they can do one, they certainly can do the other, even if one list is dynamic and added to, when the other is static and comes canned with the latest update. It is just a matter of correct implementation. Take this from me, a former CAD designer and implementer who knows, has been there, and has done that.

There is still a lot to say about this unit and it is still the most likely the unit of choice if you want voice activated features. This unit also has maps of US, Canada, and Mexico, Lifetime Traffic, and Lifetime Maps, and 3-axial compass. The price point for all these features is excellent. It was not that long ago that there were no voice activated navigators except in the $500 to $800 range.

There is a new unreleased unit called the Nuvi 2460 which is almost exactly the same except bigger by about 1/2 inch in both screen dimension although the number of pixels is not changed, for a higher price. Also if you don't care about maps Garmin has a voice actuated unit just above $200 in the 2360LT...that would almost certainly the best for those who are never going to bother to update their maps.

In addition, the 2360 has a feature that has hardly been talked about. It is one of the few car navigator units which has the 3-axial compass, a feature that has only appeared recently for the Nuvi line. As far as I can tell most the new Garmins DON'T have this feature, unless the descriptions are not complete. It is hard to tell since Gramin doesn't even mention this capability in any of the Nuvi specs, and I knew of it only because it happened to be mentioned in the Garmin writeup of the 2360. The compass is a great help in pedestrian mode because it orients the display depending on the orientation of the device, a feature that was almost non-existent of my now obsolete 755T. If you park your car outdoor where it can still receive signals, the compass helps a lot in finding your orientation to your car thus enabling you to walk directly to your parking place. On the old 755T it was necessary to walk a little ways for the screen to figure out orientation by your change of location. The car last parking position option has been moved from the favorites list to 'Where to'>>park>>last parking position. This option also has a problem but there is a work around. The Garmin Nuvi is very dumb about walking routes for the parking position. If you pick the "walk" option it will set up a route, but for parking lots, the route makes no sense. I was at Costco yesterday and when I used the 2360 to navigate back to my car, it set up a walking route that would have taken me clear around the Costco building rather than taking me directly to my car which was directly in front of me about 500 feet straight across the lot.

As I said before, the one major problem is only partly fixed with the 2360LMT as of this writing. If you are willing to use the unit with the narrow side at the top, taking advantage of the dual orientation feature, the Junction view no longer has the problem I will discuss later in this review, but if you mount it in the cradle the usual way, it still has the problem. I believe it is important to write about this problem because it presents a slight danger in certain frenetic driving situations.

There is a feature called Lane Assist which among other things, offers real time feedback on the distance to the next turn. This feature is worth its weight in gold because it often will tell you which lane you should take, but even more importantly gives you continuous feedback about the distance to the next turn. The distance is continuously updated so that the distance to the next turn is accurately known at any distance from several miles down to less than 50 feet to the turn. This means at any time you can glance at the upper left hand corner of the display and immediately know where you are in relation to the next action you are going to perform in order to turn.

There is another feature called Junction View which automatically fills the whole screen at some point before many major junctions and it shows you the Highway signs and lanes. The problem with the Junction View is that it comes up at unpredictable times in relationship to the next junction. it may be a couple hundred feet before the junction or it may be half a mile. In this way it can be confusing, disconcerting, and on rare occasions distractingly dangerous. (but Garmin CAN easily fix this if they are informed and choose to do so)

>>>>>>> THE FIX THAT IS NEEDED <<<<<<<<<<<<

There are a number of ways to fix this problem, but the most important thing is to make a small change to the display so that distance to the next turn is ALWAYS visible. This distance needs to be there ALL of the time because that way the driver can depend on being able to get this important information at any point in time no matter what.

Technically speaking, one simple quick fix would be to cause the Lane Assist to ALWAYS display even if the Junction view is up. It is just in the corner so almost never interfere with the Junction view. Another possible fix would be to offer an option to disable the Junction View in the set up for those who don't want it. Another possible solution is to add only the real time distance information in the upper left hand corner during the display of the junction view. This would take less space than the Lane Assist and would interfere less with the Junction View while keeping the driver fully informed.

Because in all cases this is a software fix, it could be included in software updates of the Garmin product line so that it could even be fixed for all of the older Garmin products. That is exact how other features were enhanced such as the red speed limit exceed warning that was retrofitted to the nuvi line. To get the fix all you have to do is go to the Garmin site, plug in your Garmin to the USB and use the Dashboard feature to update your software.

My recommendation to all reading this article that have a Nuvi Garmin, ask Garmin to add this feature because it increases the safety of the driver. I have driven through the Berkeley Maze in the SF Bay Area, and have almost been terrified by the sudden appearance of the Junction View obscuring the distance to the next junction in the Berkley Maze where junctions can come up one after another in quick succession.

Sincerely Submitted, John Sellers
4040 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2011
I had an insurance policy on my old Garmin 765T through Bestbuy which I loved, but the pixels in the screen I had a white straightline, and thought the screen was burning out, so I took the 765T back to Bestbuy and was given the Garmin 2360 LMT, took it home, registered the product and did the current down loads, and current maps.

I had the Garmin 2360 LMT GPS for 1 day, and the screen completly went dead, I returned it to Bestbuy and was given another Garmin 2360 LMT, and took that home registered it down loaded the maps and current software, that unit worked for a day and a half and the screen went dead, returned it to another Bestbuy, thinking the first Bestbuy got a bad shipment of GPS's, and received another Gamin 2360 LMT, did the downloads, and that unit worked two days before the screen stopped working.
Went to another Bestbuy and received another Garmin 2360 LMT and that lasted 3 months, and the screen went dead on 12-15-2011.
Being a police officer I rely on Garmin as a tool to get me to where I am going, I returned the Garmin 2360 LMT, and was given a Garmin 5295 LMT, which I just started using.

The features that Garmin removed from their earlier versions of Garmin which I liked was the slide bar to turn the unit on and off, the other feature is search all which is now removed, Garmin said they are trying to make it easier to use, however some things are just best left alone.
I don't like the power cord pluging into the unit, the 765T wire was much better plugging into the suction holder, and the unit snapped and locked into the suction holder, I would love to have another Garmin 765T, that was a great unit.

DO NOT BUY THE GARMIN 2360 LMT, Customer service at Bestbuy just told me on 12-15-2011 when I returned the Garmin 2360 LMT for the last time, that a number of people are returning their 2360 LMT models for the same problems, the screen just goes dead, and the unit will not turn back on.

When I wrote to Garmin, I received a generic email stating to down load the current software to avoid problems, I have downloaded the current software the Garmin 236 LMT was a horrible model, and graphics were small.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
If your GPS is more than 2 years old, you're missing out out all of the neat R&D Garmin hs been doing. My Garmin 255W was an okay GPS with a real bad touch screen and few features. FInally decided to try a newer model and this time get lifetime maps. This 2460LMT is an excellent upgrade. It has many features that I didn't know I was missing out on! Here is my quick run-down.

> Lane assist works very well. Uses small arrows on the top left to show you which lane(s) you should be in.
> Shows terrain when in 2d mode (like the 255W)
> Better customization of the fields shown in map and navigation views (choose between time, elevation, direction, time of arrival, distance to destination, time to destination, more). Three of these can be shown at a time.
> Shows upcoming street names (this functionality makes a welcome return) when you are not navigating.
> Voice recognition is VERY good. Can find addresses and favorites like Starbucks without taking your hand off the steering wheel. I was surprised that it actually works vey well.
> Bluetooth functionality is MUCH better than my very old 760, but can still be a little choppy. Holds the bluetooth connection better. Also, you can use the Garmin Voice Recognition feature to issue Voice Commands to your iPhone, including specifying artists, making calls, stopping audio play, etc.). Nice!
> Traffic feature hasn't done much for me yet. Not sure I would buy just for that...
> Portrait AND landscape modes. I like this! Gives you better view of turns coming ahead!

Form and Function:
> Better map responsiveness. Still a bit of a challenge to type on, but an improvement over my 255W.
> Fairly light.
> Rubberish-back is nice.
> Fits nicely in my HP 15C calculator carrying case.
> Has a smaller, flatter USB connector, so my 255W and 60CSx USB cord won't fit. Comes with car charger and short USB cable.
> Still fits my old windshield and friction mounts. That's good news!

Overall, so far so good. Great upgrade, and you can't beat the lifetime maps. I will update with more findings as I use it more.
on December 26, 2011
I bought this for my sister for Christmas because her TomTom maps were outdated. Rather than keep buying new maps, I went for this Garmin with lifetime maps and traffic updates. I personally have a Garmin and find it easy to use, so I thought that this would be a good option. This one has other bells and whistles including voice commands and Bluetooth, both features that she will likely never use, but I thought would be nice to have just in case. As soon as she opened it, I went to the Garmin website to register it. (You'll have to download a program so that the device can communicate with your computer. I suggest you do this BEFORE plugging in the device.) The registration was a breeze and it immediately told me that updated maps were available. It took about an hour to update the latest maps, which I thought was pretty good. We fooled around with the device and it quickly found our location and surrounding points of interest. I mean, it was almost instantaneous. My Garmin, which is about four years old, can take a couple of minutes to search for points of interest, so this is a big improvement. And you can't beat the lifetime maps. Outdated maps aren't very useful if you're traveling in areas you're not familiar with. All in all, this device is great. Easy to use, has great features, and is very responsive. I recommend it to anyone.
on March 4, 2011
After one month I am very happy with this unit. Like others have said the pup-up adds are annoying. The actually functioning of the unit, its fast re-calculating, the Bluetooth capability for hands-free phone operation, and the voice recognition all work well. Sometimes I need to slowly repeat the voice command but I expected that. When using the voice command it is not easy to request another state's address than the one you are presently in when setting up a new address. I found that I had to do this using the screen rather than by voice. I think that needs to be fixed. Overall, I recommend this unit to those who want the combination of good navigation software, bluetooth, and voice recognition.