Questions & Answers
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 50 questions
vote
There is pedestrian mode. My husband used this in NY city this past week to walk around town. I didn't ask for details but he seemed happy with its functionality.
Jun 15, 2008 by renots
votes
Please check, I think to the right is the lock. To the left is the on-off switch. My Dad's is a 260W and that is the way his works. Hold switch to the left for a second or two and the Garmin cycles off.
Aug 6, 2008 by booklover2
votes
If you take a look at the information on this unit (just above the large matrix chart) you'll find a short paragraph entitled "What's in the Box". Here is a direct quote: "What's in the Box nüvi 260W, preloaded City Navigator NT for the continental U.S., Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, Alaska, and Canada, vehicle suction cup mount, vehicle power cable, dashboard disk, and set up and go guide."
Aug 19, 2009 by dsrussell
votes
Bob. Because Garmin updates maps 4 times per year, any Garmin model may or may not have the latest map. You are allowed 60 days after purchase to update your map (if needed) for free. I've owned and used several Garmins (one well over 4 years old) and have never updated a map yet (many people don't bother because the vast majority of the time a new map will have little or no effect on a person). However, if you must have the latest and greatest, Garmin offers a NuMap program for about 100 bucks, where you can download up to 4 map updates per year for the lifetime of your Nuvi.
Mar 23, 2010 by dsrussell
votes
Hey MelissaS, I've been researching the Garmin GPS's for a couple of weeks and can tell you the differences I've seen. The 255W has a few of "new" features in their 2x5 line but the two that I've seen people the most happy with in the reviews I've read are the satellite "hotfix" and the faster processor. The "hotfix" is supposed to speed up satellite acquisition immensely by having the unit remember where it was turned off last so it can calculate where the satellites should be when you turn it back on and from what I've read it works like a charm. The faster processor will speed up things like map drawing and looking up points of interest which people have really seemed to also notice in their reviews. The big drawback of the 255 and 255w is the text to speech voice quality (this is the voice that pronounces street names). Apparently the voice quality isn't as good on the 255 line as it is in the previous products due to the voice engine Garmin has used in this model...most people I've read say they can live with it but some bring it back due to the quality. I would goto a store and try both side by side to see if you can live with the quality. I did that today and was able to understand what the 255w was saying even in a busy store but still think I'll wait for the 265WT in October. Hope that helps!
Sep 7, 2008 by Kenneth White
votes
My 260w, which is a discontinued model and means you're buying an old unit, did have the wonderful voice directions for about 6 months. When voice directions stopped working, I sent the unit back under warranty. Rather than give me a new unit, they "fixed" the voice malfunction. Six months later and now out of warranty, the voice feature stopped working again. I contacted Garmin. They told me tough luck. That's awful customer service. Since this was the 2nd time the voice feature failed, they should have offered me a replacement unit.
Nov 27, 2010 by Barbara J. Reboratti
votes
If you take a look at the information on this unit (just above the large matrix chart) you'll find a short paragraph entitled "What's in the Box". Here is a direct quote: "What's in the Box nüvi 260W, preloaded City Navigator NT for the continental U.S., Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, Alaska, and Canada, vehicle suction cup mount, vehicle power cable, dashboard disk, and set up and go guide."
Jul 15, 2009 by dsrussell
votes
Is this line at the very top edge, very bottom edge, or in between? If it's somewhere in between, I haven't noticed this on any of the Garmin models I have used, and I'd exchange it.
Jan 14, 2010 by dsrussell
votes
As long as you are running Tiger (10.4) or higher, then yes.
Oct 16, 2009 by dsrussell
votes
Which is right? They are both right. The older 2x0 models don't have the speed limit feature. The newer 2x0 models (which were release right after the 2x5 models debut) were simply repackaged to have most of the features of the 2x5 models, and thus have the speed limit feature (among many other 2x5 features). The 2x0 models don't have a traffic receiver (and neither do many of the 2x5 models). Check the matrix chart on Amazon to see which models come with traffic (these are usually designated with a 't" suffix -- for instance the 265 model does have this feature and is labeled 265t or 265wt). As far as being useful, while it is very nicely implemented by Garmin, it's hit and miss and is available only for major cities.
Mar 15, 2010 by dsrussell
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers