2,356 Reviews
 (1,397)

2,158 of 2,223 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value! I am impressed!!!
I have had Garmin, Tom Tom, Sony and Magellan GPS's over the last ten years. I have come back to Garmin for my last two because they have by far the best interface. My other Garmin is a 1690.

The maps that came with this GPS are up to date. A restaurant that opened within the last six months is on the list.

I have found the 4.3 inch screen size to...
Published on October 13, 2011 by Sir William Williams III

1,265 of 1,358 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Still Recommended (but with reservations on this unit).
Over the years, I've used several GPS units which have included Garmin, Magellan, and Mio brands. Overall Garmin is typically the best and most accurate which is why I took advantage of the recent Black Friday sales to upgrade to this unit due to the map update feature included with it.

New Garmin units no longer say "recalculating route" when you deviate from...
Published on November 29, 2011 by Gregory A. Henry

2,158 of 2,223 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value! I am impressed!!!, October 13, 2011
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 40 4.3-inch Portable GPS Navigator(US Only) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

I have found the 4.3 inch screen size to be the optimal size. It has a nice size keyboard and amazing graphics. It feels 'right' on a car dashboard.

The two features I absolutely require are the speed limit on the screen and the lane guidance. This GPS has both. This is my first Garmin out of three that goes into a split screen mode and shows the interstate signage as you come upon an exit you will be taking on your route. Great feature!

The audio is crisp and clear. It has plenty of volume capacity.

When needed, this unit will recalculate the directions quickly. I should also mention that it is very quick to acquire the satellites.

The one thing that this GPS does not have is traffic. My last four GPS's have had traffic and I have found it to be of limited usefulness. More than 50% of the time, the traffic has cleared out and you are still being alerted. The alternate routes around the traffic jams tend to be somewhat dubious.

Finally, what a great price!!! Just a year ago, you would have paid double the price for a GPS with all of the features you get with the Garmin 40. It is an excellent buy!

1,265 of 1,358 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Still Recommended (but with reservations on this unit)., November 29, 2011

New Garmin units no longer say "recalculating route" when you deviate from the set course it lays out for you. They supposedly just begin to give you new directs based on the direction you're then heading in, to steer you back to your destination. In the case of this model however, I've found the "quiet recalculating" feature to be less accurate than Garmins I've used in the past. In my well-established Atlanta neighborhood when I deviated from the planned course, it said nothing. I could see the purple route to follow, went in the opposite direction, and the Garmin remained silent with no new route shown on the screen as well, until I was perhaps nearly half a mile off course. At that point, it finally kicked in and started to take me back on course. On the flip-side however, my Android phone using Google Maps, and my older Mio brand GPS immediately recalculated the route once I deviated, and steered me back. While in a different section of town, when I deviated from a main route, it tried to get me to drive through a subdivision of homes and do a U-turn to go back, instead of recalculating a new route forward (even though I had the U-turn option turned "off"). The Android and Mio units rerouted me forward without trying the U-turn. This I'll point out, is after a system reset and update via the computer (which was recommended by a Garmin employee via support email).

The point is this: You're most likely NOT going to get lost (well, badly) if you use this unit. It will eventually get you to your destination correctly, but it might make some quirky choices along the way compared to older/other models, especially if/when you deviate from it's planned routing. On the plus side, the screen is bright, the voice loud, it locks on to the GPS signal quickly, and the graphics are clear and easy to see when you're driving. Side-note: You can download a couple of other voice options via your computer into the unit if you like. I would give the unit 3 1/2 stars if that were an option, but will settle for 3, because in a city like Atlanta, the ability to keep driving straight-on and having a unit recalculate is very valuable as opposed to having to TRY to turn around in this city's traffic (this is why Magellans do poorly here - they're notorious for trying to force U-turns on you!). If you can get it for the Black Friday level of pricing ($79-$84) it would still not be the worst gift at all - but at the suggested normal retail price of $149.00, other units might be better at the recalculating bit than this one, so research before you buy.

ADDED: Someone on here sent me a note saying that if you download the other voices and change them, that this somehow alters the accuracy of the maps. Now, this sounds odd to me, as a simple voice chance shouldn't have any effect on map accuracy - but I tried it. Picked the male British voice and indeed, one of the glitches I mentioned above stopped happening (??), but when I chose the female British voice, suddenly the Garmin stopped recognizing a major 4 lane road in my area and started calling it by the name of a small arterial road two miles away! (repeat...???). Perhaps my unit is just defective, but if this is the latest map source they're using at Garmin - I might avoid any of the newest models. Yikes. I'm updating my star rating from 3 to 2 as a result. Sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great budget GPS unit, highly recommended, November 30, 2011
Espy (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I previously had a Garmin 265wt, as well as occasionally using my Android phone's Google Navigation feature. I prefer having a dedicated device that I can just leave in my car. Although this is a "budget" GPS unit, it is an incredible value and has tons of features that used to be premium.

PROs:
-Very fast user interface compared to the 265wt.
-Lifetime maps. Cannot emphasize this enough. Buy the LM version of any of these units. Buying new maps later become very expensive.
-Website and software allow installation of additional navigation voices, and "vehicles" including Dora the Explorer, most of which are free.
-Screen is more sensitive and brighter than my old 265wt, with better viewing angles. These aren't IPS, capacitive touchscreens, but they are very functional. There are some complaints about how this unit isn't viewable in direct sunlight. But I live in southern California and have no such problems. Works fine. It may be different if you are walking on foot with these, but these are meant to be used primarily in a car.
-Connecting unit to the computer allows you to "send" navigational points, "Favorites", directly into the unit from Google Maps.
-Lane assist features, which tell you which lane you should be in, are now standard on these basic units. It's a great feature that used to only be on the high-end units.
-Audio for navigation is audible, I had no problems with it.
-And of course, text-to-speech is now available on the cheapest units from Garmin, specifically this one. You can get more voices online.

CONs:
-Still no way to manage "Favorites" on the computer directly. Creating, deleting, categorizing them. Most of this must be done on the unit itself.

Note though that there are two versions of the 40LM, which I only found out about after purchasing. One comes with the lower 48 states, the other comes with the US + Canada. I kind of wish I got the latter, but I am happy with my unit. I believe there is also free route-planning software that connects with the GPS but I don't find it to be the easiest to use. Regardless, highly recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars what junk - lost maps after 3 months, March 6, 2012
So I got this thing for Christmas (it's now March). Two days ago I was 270 miles away when the device went ape$h!+ on me. I turned it on and had to press a little dot on the screen a whole lot of times. Eventually I got this to go away but then it said something like "cannot unlock maps" and I was unable to enter a destination. Got home and after about an hour or two of searching online for help I found how to resolve the issue IN 20 EASY STEPS :(
Oh and by the way the free map updates take about 4 hours to download :(

Here's a cut and paste from this webpage. Good luck when this happens to you on the road....
[...]
If you are getting the message "Can't Unlock Maps. Your unit will not function without maps," on your Garmin mass storage device, there may be an issue with the unlock file on your device.

Please follow the steps below to restore the mapping unlock file:

9.Double-Click on the newly created Text Document icon from the desktop
10.Paste or type your unlock codes into the document
11.Click File and then click Save As
12.Change the file name to: gmapprom.unl
13.Change the "Save as type" to "All Files"
14.Click Save
15.Close the document (You should see the file gmapprom.unl on your Desktop)
16.Right-Click on the gmapprom.unl file and then click Copy
17.Connect your Garmin device to your computer and open Computer/My Computer
18.Right-Click on the 'nuvi (drive letter:)'2
19.Click Open
20.Right-Click on the Garmin folder and click Paste (See Step 21 for instructions specifically if your device is not one of the following: Quest series, StreetPilot series, nuvi 200 series, nuvi 205 series, nuvi 295W, nuvi 300 series, nuvi 465, nuvi 500 series, nuvi 600 series, nuvi 700 series, nuvi 800 series, zumo series 400, zumo 500, zumo 550 and zumo 660)
21.If your device is not one of the devices listed above, the gmapprom.unl file is required to be placed in the ".System" folder, which is a hidden system folder. In order for you to see the hidden ".System" folder:
'For Windows XP:
1.In MyComputer go to the Tools menu and choose Folder Options...
2.Select the View tab
3.Select the radio button next to "Show hidden files and folders"
4.Uncheck the box next to "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"
5.Click OK
'For Windows Vista & Windows 7:
1.In the Computer window go to the Organize menu and choose "Folder and search options"
2.Select the View tab
3.Select the radio button next to "Show hidden files, folders, or drives"
4.Uncheck the box next to "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"
5.Click Ok
Safely disconnect your Garmin device from the computer to complete the process. If you are having any issues duplicating the steps above or are still receiving the message "Can't unlock maps, your unit will not function without maps," please contact product support here: [...]
1 The device must be registered to view the Unlock Code. To register your device, follow the steps outlined in the following article: [...]

2 In My Computer, some units may be labeled 'garmin (drive letter:).'

Update December 2012 - we went to the zoo in Pittsburgh a while back and it took us to the BACK of the Zoo, not the entrance. As we fumbled around trying to find the entrance at the bottom of the hill, the GPS kept telling us to turn around and go back up the hill to the back of the zoo.
Yay!
And when we went to the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Pittsburgh, it took us right there. Well done. But then we tried to go home and instead of going out the way we came, it took us across the bridge and through the Pitt campus and down some side streets full of student housing and narrow streets with cars parked on both sides getting us back to where we got on the highway. ???

3.0 out of 5 stars Keep a road map nearby, July 9, 2012
I have had the Garmin nuvi 40LM for one month and have used it for some minor direction finding around the Des Moines, Iowa metro area. It did a respectable job but on the two occasions I really needed help finding a new destination in that metro area it identified my destination as being on the opposite side of the road from its true location. Now for the real fiasco: I was traveling in the Chicago metro area and needed directions from the Ikea store in Schaumburg, IL to a location in Coralville, IA. After inputting the Coralville address I headed toward I-90, within sight, and where I thought I should be heading. The Garmin redirected me in the opposite direction. My wife and I decided to trust it and followed its directions for the next hour and one half while it continually tacked away from the interstate highway system, leading us through numerous western suburbs at 35-45 mph, with many traffic lights. We finally stopped at a Wal-Mart to ask directions to I-88, which we knew I-90 would have led us to. Wal-Mart customer service directed us to retrace our route about two miles and to take Illinois 59 south about six miles to where it intersected with I-88. The Garmin had actually taken us off Illinois 59 and away from I-88. After a cooling off period, I have edited this review and upgraded to three stars from one star. I'll continue to use the Garmin but I also know now to keep a road map within reach to verify directions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic Keeps Getting Better, October 10, 2011
Pipemajor (Twin Cities, MN USA) - See all my reviews
Garmin's new 2012 NÜVI Series is positioned as their basic line of navigators. My 7 year old NÜVI 660 finally died and I had a brief flirt with a NÜVI 1490T which boasted a transit feature. Even with a tech support call to Garmin I never could get the transit feature to work properly so the high-end 1490T was returned.

The NÜVI 40LM includes a lifetime maps subscription. I have no idea how many updates will be offered over a lifetime of a typical GPS navigator but my NÜVI 660 was seriously out of date and I refused to pay the fee for a "patch."

Features I've come to consider "must haves" on a GPS are:

1. Accurate maps with an easy to use interface
2. Lane assist
3. Speed limit display
4. Junction view

The NÜVI 40 incorporates all the above and I found the 4.3" screen a nice compromise between portability and readability.

Thumbs up to Garmin for giving us a useful entry-level automotive GPS navigator at a budget price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Locked map, May 30, 2012
My Garmin nuvi 40LM worked fine for the most part until I tried to update my map. Then it locked up, and nothing I could do helped. The website is crazy. I signed in, but anytime I tried to do something, I was asked to sign in again. I tried customer service and exchanged a couple of emails last week, but that was no help. The reps did not seems to know anything about my unit. I gave up. So this morning, I mailed the unit to the CEO of Garmin and asked him to fix it. We'll see how that works.

Later today, I received an email from the Garmin rep. Here is what I got:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to assist you with this.

Are you encountering the error message listed below?

Please follow the steps below to restore the mapping unlock file:
Log into your myGarmin account1
Select myMaps
Below the appropriate device, select the "Details" link
Look for the Unlock Code listed on this page
Copy all the unlock codes for your device
Close your internet browser
Right-Click on your Desktop
Click New and then click Text Document
Double-Click on the newly created Text Document icon from the desktop
Paste or type your unlock codes into the document
Click File and then click Save As
Change the file name to: gmapprom.unl
Change the "Save as type" to "All Files"
Click Save
Close the document (You should see the file gmapprom.unl on your Desktop)
Right-Click on the gmapprom.unl file and then click Copy
Connect your Garmin device to your computer and open Computer/My Computer
Right-Click on the 'nuvi (drive letter:)'2
Click Open
For Windows XP:
In MyComputer go to the Tools menu and choose Folder Options...
Select the View tab
Select the radio button next to "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck the box next to "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"
Click OK
For Windows Vista & Windows 7:
Select the View tab
Select the radio button next to "Show hidden files, folders, or drives"
Uncheck the box next to "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"
Click Ok
Safely disconnect your Garmin device from the computer to complete the process. If you are having any issues duplicating the steps above or are still receiving the message "Can't unlock maps, your unit will not function without maps," please contact product support here: https://buy.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/escalateForm.faces
2 In My Computer, some units may be labeled 'garmin (drive letter:).'
Please let us know if you need further assistance.
Thank you for the opportunity to assist you with your Garmin device.
We appreciate your business!"

They had to be kidding. I wonder if they could make software any more complicated. Too bad I had already mailed the unit; I could I given the CEO the instructions when he tries to fix it. Life is too short for this. I wonder if a TomTom is this complicated.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Unit, Poor Service Experience, April 16, 2012
Garmin nüvi 40LM 4.3-inch Portable GPS Navigator (US)

I purchased this GPS to replace a Tom-Tom unit that was several years old and which would require the purchase of a map update subscription, which turned out to be very close to replacement cost!

Unfortunately, though I followed the directions closely the Garmin Nuvi 40LM could not recognize the updated map file, even though the process completed "successfully".

After four hours on with Garmin Support to update & re-install, device reset and complete re-install (2-3 hours elasped for each) the device still could not recognize the detailed maps.

This is understandable with any mass manufactured device that has complicated soft and hard code installed. However, Garmin refused to send out a new/replacement unit to me under the warranty until the defective unit was received and processed by them, and then it could take 10-14 days.

Give me a break! This is a $100 unit and not worth the time for any party. I can't believe that they would not simply ship out a new unit and let me return this one under an RMA. Stupid service policy!

So I am simply returning the unit to Amazon (thank you Amazon for a great returns policy!)for a refund.

I must say that in general the people on the support line were knowledgable and helpful - it's the company policy (and maybe the QA) that are in question.

Now what? I need a GPS, so perhaps I will try and find another unit to purchase which will work properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value! Great GPS Navigator!, November 27, 2011
I just got done using this for the first time on a trip. It's really awesome. I bought it on Black Friday for $90 including tax. I've been using the Garmin Nuvi 200 which I purchased a long time ago (I can't even remember.) Anyway, I was so pleased at the new interface. There are a lot of things they've done differently that makes it a lot more user friendly. Plus, since the screen is bigger (I got the 4.3" model) than the Nuvi 200, it is must easier to type. I got the LM version so I get lifetime maps. It was very easy to upload the maps. You just load the software and hook up the device to your computer. I honestly don't know how much easier they could have made it to download new maps except to have the device automatically download over-the-air. I don't even know if this is possible given the large size of the maps. It took me about 30 minutes to get the device loaded with the newest maps. My friend and I wanted to go to Hardee's in our own town. They just built the restaurant maybe 1 months ago and the Garmin already had it in the points of interest category; thought that was cool. In conclusion it is an awesome buy and simple to use. If you are upgrading from an older model as I was, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally... A near perfect GPS... UPDATE: IT'S PERFECT!, May 24, 2012
First off, if you like bells and whistles in your GPS unit this is not for you, but if you want:
1. A very easy GPS to operate
2. A lightning fast satellite lock on
3. A bright easy to view screen in sunlight
4. A loud clear voice that will overcome road noise
5. A very nice lane assist feature

I've owned Tom Tom's, Mio's, Navigon's, and Magellan's but none had it all together like this nuvi 50lm has. The Tom Tom has a great lane assist feature but lousy voice and terrible pronunciation of names . The Magellan had great information but would badger you with information and has a so-so lane assist feature. This Garmin nuvi 50lm has both great audio instructions and a great lane assist feature, the best of both features I've seen in one GPS. This is a no frills unit like Blue Tooth, MP3 player, photo viewer and the such. Its very meat and potatoes and the menus are intuitively laid out and simple to understand. The only reason I said "near perfect" is I wish it had a "way point" provision but sadly its only programmable to one destination at a time and without way points. Overall I'm more pleased with this GPS than with any I've owned before, which have been numerous looking for a GPS that has what I want. This certainly fits the bill.
U P D A T E ! ! ! ! U P D A T E ! ! ! !U P D A T E ! ! ! !U P D A T E ! ! ! !
Quite by accident I found out you can put in one via point and here's how:
Select where you want to go and then press "GO" as you normally would.
Go back to the "Where To" and "View Map" screen. Program in a second destination and press "Go" again.
A screen will automatically pop up asking if you want this second destination to be your NEW DESTINATION or marked as a VIA POINT. Select "Via Point" and the GPS will take you to your destination by traveling past your via point.
I amend my title to "A PERFECT GPS". This GPS is amazing...Wish it came with a comprehensive instruction manual.