5.0 out of 5 stars Best low end GPS I've ever used.
Published on September 2, 2011 by Mark Wickersham

3.0 out of 5 stars okay
Published on October 9, 2011 by J. Koster

5.0 out of 5 stars Best low end GPS I've ever used., September 2, 2011
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 50 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator(US and Canada) (Electronics)
I've been using GPS units for over a decade. My first unit was a Magellan hiking oriented unit. I ditched it after two weeks and got a Garmin hiking unit that lasted me 6 years. The UI was much better, and Garmin really seems to pay attention to that. When the Nuvi wide screen units came out, that was the price performance price to get me into a unit oriented for driving. I've had both the 200w and the 255w. The 200w was good. The 255w had subtle UI improvements such as the speed limit display.

The new Garmin 50 beats them hands down. It's larger, and for less money than the others when they were new. The 5" display makes a huge difference. In addition to the larger display, almost everything about the maps details, fonts for text info, icons and symbols all seem larger, beyond just scaling up for screen size. Everything is much easier to read at a quick glance. The bootup is much faster. The first couple of times, there's a rather annoying license click-through, but it goes away after that. It hasn't been back. There's a "safety mode" which tries to tell you what a bad idea changing settings while driving is. It's easy to override, and easy to turn off.

Lane assist! It works... Sometimes it's timing is a little off... If it triggers too early you can end up in a "disappearing lane". Too late, and it can be tough to get into the correct lane in time, so this feature isn't an easy one to get right. It's still a big help.

When approaching a critical intersection, the screen splits, and a "street view" of the intersection appears. A cartoon depiction. I was worried that this would be disconcerting. But it's not. It works. It's helpful. BTW, this size screen in a motorcycle-toughened unit would be FABULOUS. Just my view.

3.0 out of 5 stars okay, October 9, 2011
The menus are very simple and easy to understand. Navigation is accurate. 5" display is plenty big enough. Reception is great. One thing I would change is the voice option. There are 2 voices. The standard voice is a bit muddled and speaks street names. The other voice is much clearer but DOESN'T speak street names. I think you can download more voices online but I haven't tried that yet. Overall the GPS is well worth the 179 we paid.

UPDATE: I don't care for the lack of street names on the screen. My old garmin gps shows all the street names. This one only shows half of them even if i'm zoomed in or out. I need to know what street I'm on! See photo I uploaded.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ships in demo mode - no instructions, July 27, 2012
Amazon Customer (Running Springs, CA) - See all my reviews
I've never been impressed by Garmin's product documentation but now they've just given up completely. There's no documentation for this GPS system other than some extremely small HTML pages built into the product that simply state the obvious for the most part. Now for the stupid part - the system ships in demo mode which means it still won't turn on. The GPS simulator is turned off and when you find the screen that let's you turn it back on, it won't work. Because there's no documentation, there's no way to know how to get it out of demo mode.

This is what you do...
Start by charging the unit for an hour or so because the battery is probably empty.
Turn the unit on by pressing the button at the top, left corner.
At the main page press View Map
Press the speed readout in the bottom right corner
Press and hold the Speedometer until the debug screen shows (10 seconds)
Select Demo Mode
Click Disable Demo Mode
Return to the debug screen
Select GPS Simulator Mode
Select Off and click OK

Piece of cake, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great GPS!, October 25, 2011
This GPS is 100 times better than my old GPS, the Garmin 750! Everything is a lot quicker now from finding satellites to scrolling on the screen. Plus, there's a whole bunch of great new features. Some examples are how it now tells you which lane to be in so you don't have to guess, the screen refreshes faster so it's easier to actually tell when to turn, the junction view is pretty handy, and apparently it shows you speed traps and red light cameras! Definitely a great buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Passable GPS with a lousy mount, February 8, 2012
UPDATE 4/4/2014: After a recent map update, the GPS could not find any destination in Florida. I've lost confidence in its reliability, and would NOT buy it again nor recommend it.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Full disclosure: this is my FIRST GPS. Purchased thru Amazon 12/2/11. I had never used one before, but this seems to be working quite well. For a newbie, it seems very easy to use. The manual is well-written and helpful, but mostly I just poked around on the touch-screen interface and figured it out.

It has never failed to get me where I'm going, but I don't always agree with its routing solutions. When I'm leaving Charlotte, NC, it plots a route to the Interstate that I as a long-time resident here wouldn't use. Passing through Greensboro, it always tries to route me through the business route instead of the bypass. When I ignore the directions and take the bypass, it recalculates the route quickly, however, and adapts.

I have the most recent maps (I have downloaded the update and checked for further updates regularly), but there are some newer streets in Charlotte it still doesn't know about.

When selecting a route to a store, it doesn't always choose the nearest store; it may not know about all of them. It also gave me directions to a restaurant which has been closed for years. I reported this to Garmin.

The suction-cup mount only worked for about a week, then would only stay in position for about 30 seconds. It's such a poorly-designed mount, I wish they wouldn't even ship it with the GPS. I replaced it with a weighted friction mount sold here at Amazon (Garmin Portable Friction Mount - Frustration Free Packaging), which works VERY well! My recommendation would be to order the friction mount along with the GPS, and don't ever bother with the suction cup thingie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, September 18, 2011
I'm fairly new to using a real GPS unit in my car and before that I've been using Google Maps on my phone (or equivalent). A real GPS unit definitely has its advantages. It's better at picking up signal (one can only assume that it has more space/weight allocated for the antenna) and is not depending on data signal to download maps. The latter can be a problem if you're driving through rural areas, and suddenly the phone is useless while the GPS unit works just fine.

This unit is fairly new on the market and I've tested it a couple of times so far, and I think it works great. It does everything I need. I'm very happy with the default voice (I actually haven't tried the other options yet), it's easy to hear and pronunciation of streets has been spot on so far. Information on turns and merges works fine. The screen size and format is nice. It took me a little while to get used to the touch screen (after having used the more sensitive touch screens on newer cell phones), but it didn't take long to get over that. The overall design seems sturdy and I'm not worried that it will physically break or fall apart. The user interface is intuitive and it didn't take me long to get familiar to it.

Overall, great unit for the price range!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great features & more, December 28, 2011
Jehan Ghouse (Hebron, KY, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this as a replacement for a 2008 Garmin model on which the maps were outdated...and for what Garmin charges for a map update, one could buy this model for a few more dollars! I was specifically looking for a unit that included maps of Canada. The life time map update feature will be handy. When I openned the package, I immediately connected it to my PC and got the latest map update. The map updates take about 30-45 minutes on a DSL connection to download and install. On the road, the unit performed well. It has a feature that alerts you to red light cameras in certain cities. The alert came on a few times as I drove through the Chicago area. The speed limit warning indicator is handy as well...although the moment you exceed the speed limit even by 1 MPH, the indicator turns red. The speed indicated on the GPS is about 3 MPH slower than my speedometer on my 2011 Sienna. Not sure if the Sienna is correct or the Garmin is correct. The speaking of street names still sounds a bit awkward unless it is a standard name such as "Main, Oak, Plum, etc". Non standard names get butchered!! Not a problem for me...just entertaining! Everything else works great. Good product at an affordable price point for a unit that has life-time updatable maps of North America.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, that didn't last long., March 31, 2012
Received my new nuvi 50LM yesterday afternoon. Charged up the battery, updated the maps, updated the software, all seemed to be good. It worked just as expected. It is my 3rd nuvi, so I sorta knew what to expect...

Today I started up the nuvi 50 and it was in some kind of demo mode, cycling through 12 demo screens telling me what a great product it is. GPS was off, but the GPS status screen shows good satellite reception and my current location. Tried to turn GPS Simulation Mode off, selected OFF, but after I hit OK the Simulator is still on. Tried a hard reset- no change.

So, useless in less than 24 hours. Now we'll see how good Garmin's customer support is.

UPDATE 7:20PM 3/31/2012
Received a reply e-mail from Garmin support with a suggested fix. The fix worked. Total elapsed time from complaint to resolution- 3 hours on a Saturday. That's some good customer service.

The fix involved putting the nuvi 50 in Diagnostic mode. That info could have been provided in the downloaded owner's manual, but at least I got it pretty quickly

UPDATE 9:20 AM Apr. 1, 2012-April Fools joke?
So, last evening I let the battery run down to make sure the battery life gauge was calibrated (recommended by owners manual). The unit shut off, when connected to charger did not turn on automatically and would not turn on by switch. Let it sit on charger overnight- no change the next morning, unit is cold, indicating no battery charging. So, I played with the power switch and after I held it down 10+ seconds several times, it finally turned on. Unit booted up to the "Loading Maps" stage and stalled there. I let it sit 2 hours, still stalled but warm as if battery is charging. Turned it off, back on, stalled same place, repeat.... Finally, removed microSDHC chip I had installed before all my troubles started (manual says chip is compatible), did a hard reset and unit now appears to be working, with or without microSDHC chip installed.

Never had so much trouble with my other nuvi units.

4.0 out of 5 stars You will need a microSD card, September 10, 2012
I ordered the 50LM for the lifetime map update feature and also the 5" size. I have a two year old Garmin 1350 4.3". After registering the 50LM I installed the Lifetime Updater on my PC. It checked for map updates and informed me a new US & Canada map (2013.10) was available to replace the US & Canada (2012.10) that was on my device as shipped. I downloaded the update to my PC, but was then advised "your device does not have enough space for US & Canada." The options given were to Insert an SD card, or view alternative install options (which include installing a lesser map than you purchased).

I instead chose to delete ALL unnecessary files from the device and try again. I was able to install the update, but had to select that music and pictures would not be saved to the device. Bottom line, Garmin should just tell the consumer up-front (on the box) that the internal memory is inadequate for the US & Canada map update. Save yourself the problem I had. If you do not have a microSD card, buy one when you order this Garmin, and have it ready for your map updates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, March 2, 2012
This is GPS is the best I have owned thus far (three previously). It has a fast response time and, best of all, announces in a clear,non-annoying voice. It does not ring when the turn comes up - just announces the turn, calmly. In short, I am very please with the product.