4.0 out of 5 stars Best GPS
This is my third GPS, and the best.

Pros:
1. It is super fast acuqiring signal.
2. It is very sensitive to your car movement, allowing fast route correction alert and other turning alert.
3. The route algorithm is excellet. It actually give me better route in areas that I am very familiar with.
4. Very intuitive user interface. You do not...
Published on December 12, 2010 by Big Frog

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a mixed bag but overall is pretty good
12/10/2010 Addendum: Alert - I bought a second nuvi 1390LMT and that one started giving me pop-up warnings after it turned on. Two different pop-ups were observed. 1. "This accessory is not supported" 2. "XM is not supported." Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the USB power plug and USB plug receptacle on the nuvi were severely corroded. They had come that way from...
Published on November 9, 2010 by M. Erb

‹ Previous | 1 2 348 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin nüvi 1390LMT 4.3-Inch Portable GPS, December 26, 2010
W. Goodwin (West Springfield, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 1390LMT 4.3-Inch Portable Bluetooth GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
We had a Tom Tom and liked it a lot. Garmin has as good as or better of a reputation as the Tom Tom, so we decided to try this one. So far, not much difference, but this one shows your speed as well. The wide screen is nice, but it is not a huge difference. The Tom Tom got us lost a few times, we'll see how the Garmin does over time. I don't think any GPS is perfect that is why I also route my self on a map as well when I take long trips. We bought the universal mount as an accessory. It sits on the dash rather than sticking to the window. We prefer this, however, you may not. It programs easily, offers several voices and speaks clearly.

The free map updates were the big selling point as Tom Tom wanted $80 to update maps. Needless to say, we didn't update once in five years. If you need a GPS but don't need all the bells and whistles, this one will satisfy you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin does good with minor exceptions..., July 7, 2011
I have a 3 year history of using Garmin products; my first GPS was from the 260 series. Three months ago I upgraded to the 1390 LMT model. Housed in a glossy black shell case - with a durable rubber backing - the 1390 offered several features I wanted in a new unit. The 4.3" wide screen makes it easier to view at-a-glance while driving. Lifetime map and traffic updates are a plus (new maps are offered quarterly.) The unit powers up quickly and typically links to satellites effortlessly. It comes with a few pre-loaded voices/languages which will suffice for the majority of purchasers, with more available for download from Garmin. The turn-by-turn audible directions include spoken street names (which helps if you don't want to take your eyes off the road to look at the screen.) Best of all, the 1390 also provides many useful features including Eco-trip (to help you plan the shortest, fastest, or most fuel-efficient route); lane assist, which helps you choose the correct lane (obviously); and junction view which provides a real-life view of particularly challenging interchanges.

After using the unit for 3 months I have the following complaints: occasionally the unit fails to link to satellite reception. I've had this happen only once or twice, and once was in a bad storm. So that might just have been a glitch. The second, bigger annoyance with the unit is speaker performance. On the 1390 - at least in the case of my unit - there's a noticeable "crackling" in the speaker that you hear after you set a route and just before the unit's "voice" begins to give directions. I spoke with a couple of Garmin reps, one of which assured me that this crackling sound was "normal," and just a matter of the speaker "powering up." Perhaps, but I find it annoying and for the price you pay it shouldn't be there.

All in all, the 1390 is a good unit with many features for the price. Except for those couple of complaints, I recommend it to anyone looking for a good all-in-one lifetime map and traffic unit with a bigger screen view. A 1390 purchase also includes a standard suction cup/mounting bracket setup, a car lighter power cord, a USB cable for synching to your computer, and a quick-start manual.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointed, May 25, 2011
I purchased this product for several key features that do not appear to deliver as advertised. I have used this GPS for several trips so far, including a trip from Minneapolis to Chicago. 1) The power cord is very thick, 2X my old Garmin, supposedly because the traffic module antenna is embedded into the cord. This makes the cord very stiff & bulky to store in the glovebox. Also there is a large 1/2" x 1/2" x 2" hard plastic module on the cord near where it plugs into the Garmin (this is the traffic receiver module). Plus the cord itself is quite a bit shorter than my old Garmin. All this adds up to is you have a thicker-shorter-bulky cord hanging on your dashboard, and mine barely reaches the accessory jack location in my console. 2) The traffic feature is practically worthless, based on traveling through several major cities so far. Ads pop up from time to time, not a big deal. The big deal is that so far I have received minimal warnings and none that did show up were correct. I have hit dead stop traffic with no warnings and was warned to avoid non-existant traffic issues. 3) The lane assist is very poor, consisting of a series of arrows at the top of the screen (not actually on the map itself) that causes you to look back and forth from arrows - map - arrows - etc to figure out which lane you should be in. Why is the display not shown on the map itself. 4) I know the description for the Garmin says Junction View is only shown in certain metro and other areas, but I have yet to see it pop up. If Chicago and Minneapolis are not major metro areas that should have junction view, it must only exist in NY City or LA... 5)The screen brightness on the highest setting is much less than my old Garmin. The screen is less glossy than my old Garmin, but overall the screen is larger but harder to view in the daytime. Bottom line, a major disappointment so far. Garmin missed the boat on this, give me my 4-year old 3.5" Garmin back (unfortunately, the memory in my old unit is too small to install the current entire US map). Which brings me to the final complaint - I updated/downloaded the map as instructed when I set up the Garmin. 2 days later I received a notice that the latest updated map was available for download (newer than the one I had just downloaded). When I went on-line to update, I was told that I had to wait to download again, because it was too close from my last download. I guess lifetime maps means sometime in my lifetime, not anytime in my lifetime. I know there is a limit to downloads per year, but don't send me notes telling me the latest map is available and then tell me I can't download it for a few months...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best GPS unit, December 13, 2010
Update,
I have had this unit for 2 yrs now...it works good... I like it....gets me where I need to go
...it helps to have lifetime maps.....

Well, this is easily the best GPS unit I have used so far.
I have Garmin 350, 650 in the past and they were good too. I bought this because of lifetime maps.
So far I have used it for a month and have had no problems. Well, if u compare it to a magellan or tom tom it is the best that there is.
apart from all the routine features, i like to traffic updates(unlike others users), it has saved me a lot of trouble. The others might not be appreciating the traffic feature as they have not looked at in detail...
For example, if it says there is a delay of about 2 mins on the route and you see no traffic in front of you, Garmin is not wrong..... but it is telling you that there is traffic on your route 50miles ahead!!! this helped me be on time for my exam....!!! when you get an alert that you have traffic ahead, just hit the traffic button and it will ask you if you want to avoid that...its that simple....

this feature has helped me on my way to Dallas from Fort worth....trafffic can be very busy on 35...
Ecoroute is helpful aswell, as it calculates mileage for you...
i give it a 5 star...
it has many other features, which already have been described by the others...
including bluetooth...and junction view....

1.0 out of 5 stars Many problems....Can't rely on it!!, April 20, 2011
I purchased this new as opposed to updating the maps on our other 2 nuvis that are 4 years old. In both Virginia and California on two separate trips, we constantly lost satellite reception and we weren't even driving in an area that was out in the boonies...we were driving in major suburban and urban areas! Then in an attempt to change home locations it would not register the correct change but kept going back to the previous registered "home" address. Never happened on our older models. This one is going back!

5.0 out of 5 stars garmin 1390 LMT, January 2, 2011
I purchsed to replace a magellan 4050 with traffic that was 3.5 years old. While the magellan was top of the line, each time I wanted to update it $79 for maps and $49 per year for traffic. The garmin also has the speed limit information and my speed on it, which I find useful and was not on the Magellan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent GPS Navigator, November 5, 2012
We purchased the Garmin nuvi 1390LMT with lifetime updates Garmin nüvi 1390LMT 4.3-Inch Portable Bluetooth GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates from Amazon in September for a great one-day sale price of $115 and used it on a recent driving trip to Orlando, Florida. It was generally very accurate and led us on good, fast routes to all of our destinations, including places we stayed and restaurants that we ate at. This GPS navigator even helped us avoid a big traffic jam on a highway near Winston-Salem, NC with a well-timed traffic warning. I also purchased a 4 GB micro-SD card with the GPS, which gave room to download the entire current North America map update from Garmin. I also purchased the nuvi 1350t accessory bundle, which gave me an AC adapter to charge the GPS battery and other cables and accessories. After fully charging the battery before the trip, I never saw any problem with a low battery during the entire drive from Indiana to Florida and back. I was also very impressed with its driving time estimates, which were fairly close to the actual times of arrival. The Garmin nuvi 1390LMT made our whole Florida vacation a lot smoother and more enjoyable and was well worth the sale price I got it for. It also can accept downloads for pedestrian city navigation of cities like London, UK, which we plan to use for our visit to the UK next summer (another good reason why I got the micro-SD card). We look forward to using this product for our future vacations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated review after receiving a bum unit, August 3, 2012
Jville808 (Jacksonville, FL) - See all my reviews
OK, I felt compelled to update by review that had me give this item a terrible rating. It turns out the unit I originally received was a dud, or something that had been purchased before, returned and resold to me. Besides the missing map, one peculiar thing I noticed about the "bad" unit was that it didn't have the sticker on the side of the box with the serial number on it like the replacement unit that was sent to me (as well as my old 260w which I still have the original box to).

Anyways...on to an actual review now that I have a fully functional unit. For the price, I like it but don't necessarily love it. I have yet to get bluetooth to work on it while I do have it paired with my phone. There's still some kinks I have to work out between the 1390 and my phone but one problem I foresee is how beneficial this feature will actually be as I would rather listen to music in my vehicle than listen to the GPS telling me which way to turn and such. I've always kept my GPS on mute for this reason, so I suppose I would have to un-mute it to use it with my mobile phone. That's just a decision I have to make and a preference, nothing wrong with the product. It would be nice, and maybe it is possible and I don't already know it, to turn off the spoken directions but leave the speaker on. This will be a good question for the folks at Garmin, who like I said in my previous review are never available when I am able to call them. You would think a company as seemingly large as Garmin would have some better customer service hours. I'd actually be happy speaking with a "Bob" or "Sue" in India than to just keep getting met with the "please call back during these hours..." message I always seem to get.

The unit is a noticeable upgrade from my 260w. Free Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates. Check. (although I don't know what the "traffic" feature is or does, but I'm sure it will surprise me one of these days) Bluetooth. Check. Sleek design. Check.

I also noticed the ablity to add phone numbers to addresses in my favorites which is nice if I'm running late to a doctors appointment or something. Don't know if my older model had that feature.

A couple complaints though that keep this from being a perfect GPS. First, when I updated to the 2013 maps I'm already told it has to delete some files because the new map file size is bigger than the old map (apparently). Does this mean everytime I have to update, I'm going to have to delete more and more stuff that came preinstalled on the device? You would think they would make these things with some extra memory or space for situations like this. Why not give them a few GB's extra space to allow for future updates and anything else you might want to install on it? It's not like flash memory is THAT expensive these days. How much more would an extra 2-4 GB's have cost the company during production. Not much. Why skimp, Garmin?

One other, albeit minor, complaint I have is the windshield mount included seems a lot more fragile than the one that came with the 260w. This thing seems like it's definately going to break on me at some point down the road, forcing me to purchase another one from Garmin. Win-win for them. Save a few pennies manufacturing the mounts and make me buy a replacement from them sometime down the road.

Overall, I am satisfied with this unit though. Like I said, it's definately an upgrade from my 260w. It just seems like the company is cutting corners a bit much though.

Hope this helps.

Below is my original review:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No pre-installed maps? Seriously?

Not a good start for my 1390LMT. I bought this as a replacement for a perfectly fine older 260W model. I liked the idea of lifetime updates, traffic and bluetooth that the 260W didnt have. The one thing the 260W did have was pre-loaded maps, it worked right out of the box and I never had a problem with it in the 3 or 4 years I used it. As soon as I powered this one on it tells me it "Can't Unlock Maps", and when I try to enter an address it tells me "No Map Data Available". I look in Tools>Settings>Map>Info and there's nothing there. Maybe it's just the unit I got, I've got a replacement on it's way, but that's insane to ship out GPS units with no pre-loaded maps. I even downloaded the Garmin Lifetime Updater to try to dowload something and kept getting met with a "Garmin Servers are Currently Experiencing Difficulty. Please Try Again Later" error message. When trying to update the software on the Garmin site, it looks like it's updating, but then keeps telling me I have the same important update to install. What is going on here? Garmin needs better hours for their tech support, because they are no help when they only work normal business hours, Mon-Fri. Terrible experience so far. I'll update if my luck gets any better with a replacement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Set up..., June 14, 2012
i purchased the 1390LMT for my friends birthday. she wanted the free lifetime maps and traffic....It was easy to program. We did not test the traffic...I have an older garmin 265m,which has never failed me...The 1390LMT does give you more of a precise lane to be in on freeways etc. She loves the present and i would reccommend the garmin nuvi's in a heartbeat...

3.0 out of 5 stars Great GPS... No room for map updates, December 5, 2011
GPS is great. Glad it came with lifetime map updates, however, don't expect to put new map updates on the internal memory of your new GPS as there is not enough space. You may want to buy a microSD card if you plan on updating the maps. I gave it 3 stars only because I was expecting to be able to update the maps without having to buy additional hardware. The map updating software does give you the option to choose a smaller map (only specific portions of the country) if you prefer to do that.

‹ Previous | 1 2 348 | Next ›