4.0 out of 5 stars Review from a million miles driver.
Published 18 months ago by BigTwinRider1964

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing for the price
Published 18 months ago by 10burgers

4.0 out of 5 stars Review from a million miles driver., March 4, 2013
This review is from: Garmin Dezl 760LMT 7-Inch Bluetooth Trucking GPS with Lifetime Maps & Traffic (Electronics)
Started Gps use with the GARMIN 330, which is now in my car and still going strong, have bought and kept the GARMIN units 465LMT & DEZL 560LMT. Tried and returned the Rand McNally 720, because the interface was just too cumbersome. The Garmins are so much more intuitively user interface friendly! Only have had it for a day now, mostly interstate miles from Virginia to Maine. It routes exactly like the 560, but differently from the 465. Both make good routes but I usually prefer the 465 routing, on the occasions when they disagree with each other. The 760 is definitely fast in satellite acquisition and route planning, the display is big, bright and responsive in real time. Superior to both the 465 & 560, and it is REALLY loud on the loudest setting!! Some users complained about the POI'S being so heavily displayed along the route. I them. I also like the advance notifications of speed limit changes, approaching state lines and scale houses. Plenty of time allowed to buckle up and slow down for potential speed trap areas. I really really really like the smartphone app links, that provide weather updates and satellite weather pictures! The PHOTOLIVE feature is fantastic too. What that is, is a real time photo of heavily trafficked roadways, near your route. So if you hear on the CB that the Tappan Zee bridge is backed up, or Central Expressway in Dallas is flowing fine, you can verify instantly and independently. These features require a bluetooth data link to your phone, so you need a data plan. I use a Motorola Razr Maxx and it works great with the PDA +net app to DUN Bluetooth link. The 2 units find each other easily. Those 2 features are annual subscriptions of $9.99 each. For you owner operators, there's even a fuel price app subscription available! Pretty cool.
I've read reviews from other drivers about the weight restricted warnings... Haven't had that problem yet. I've seen my display show the '?' on roads it wasn't certain of being truck legal. Just because other gps units don't show a '?' doesn't mean that they know that the road is OK for trucks. That's where trip planning and READING THE SIGNS and USING SOME COMMON SENSE come in handy. Imho, if you use any gps with blind faith, you have no business being behind a truck steering wheel.
And I still find my pocket truck stop guide book very handy, as well as my spiral bound Rand McNally deluxe motor carrier road Atlas. Cmon drivers you, you can't expect any gadget to do all your thinking for you! I'll tell you this though, that outside of weather or mechanical breakdowns, I have NEVER been late in the last 5 years due to poor trip planning, and that's largely due to using a GPS. It's a great time management tool. So now I guess I'm going to sell off my DEZL 560.
Next day update.
Still in Maine, and discovered that the routing algorithm is DIFFERENT from both the 465LMT and DEZL 560. Today was actually a little better than either of the other 2. Next stop is in Alabama for Friday, 3 days from now. Supposed to be getting a good snow storm on this back haul, will update again when I get back home this weekend.
Okay of its been a few weeks now. Definitely the best GPS I ever had. But still not perfect... But it's close enough.. One thing I accidentally discovered when an address wasn't in the GPS database.. So I looked up a business on my razr maxx to get directions through Google Navigation... So when I clicked on GET DIRECTIONS on my phone screen, it also offered to send the location info via the GARMIN smartphone app to the gps!! It worked flawlessly!! BTW the garmin android smartphone app is all you need for datBtwa connectivity via bluetooth to your garmin 760.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing for the price, March 1, 2013
I run team with my wife, about 5000 miles a week. While a GPS does not replace the atlas, we sure wanted a good one. We had a little 4-wheeler tom-tom that worked extremely well. But we wanted a larger screen, larger maps, an easy-to-read screen. After many hours reading reviews online about all the top trucker GPS makes and versions we chose this one. We are amazed at how frequently this GPS is dead WRONG about truck routing. We got a trucker GPS mainly because the tom-tom did not do truck routes and it as a big gamble. Time after time this Garmin would alert us to the fact that the road we were on was not an approved truck route when indeed the roads all lead to truck stops with hundreds of trucks going in and out all day. And time after time we were on old well established state roads that are major off interstate approved truck routes only to once again have the garmin tell us we were on roads NOT approved for trucking. This happens on nearly 50% of well-known truck routes we run. This thing is a total joke! We read and re-read the instructions to make sure all was right on our use of it. We tested it on routes we normally use to see how accurate it was. On one run it re-routed us three times as we drove past the exits it wanted us to take, and all three times it was wrong! It is a shame it is not more accurate because otherwise it is a beautiful unit. The screen is large and clear, we can read it from the sleeper. The audio is loud and clear. While running down the road the large icons are easy to see and to tap. you can use this one without driving out of your lane. It is very easy to use, very easy to learn. The mounting and power setups are also very good. We use the dash mount on horribly rough roads that throw stuff out of the sleeper and this unit takes it all just fine. We downloaded all the latest updates, and even that went well. In other words this would be a wonderful GPS for Pro drivers IF the routing was far more accurate. Yet since a trucker GPS is supposed to help keep us off restricted routes and keep us on approved routes, and since the Garmin does NOT do this, not even close, I have to give it a low rating.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, February 23, 2013
I've had this gps for almost 2 months now at the start I thought it was the best thing ever but after using it for a while I found it had major shortcomings , like the weight restriction warning ,it seams to have them all wrong eg. For 30 miles on I-80E in NE it keeps telling me that the limit is between 1.5 tons and 17 tons and keeps trying to get me to take the state route instead . That was the biggest mistake so far, there have been a lot of small roads it thinks have a weight limit but do not, like our terminal in Dallas it says the road into it has a 10ton limit, the only people who use it are truck drivers !! I have to find some way to disable the weight warning till garmin get there act together and figure out its wrong , all they have to do is buy a copy of rand McNally and it tells them the overweight roads . Another thing they are missing is a lot of weigh stations and it would be nice to get an audible warning when they are coming up . Given that this is a gps mainly for truckers they could have put in an alert for a time zone change like some other truck gps systems have . I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for and given this is the most expensive truck gps out there I'm disappointed to say the least . If they bring out updates and fix the problems I will update my rating because as it stands the unit is unreliable as its routing around roads it thinks I can't use

4.0 out of 5 stars 125k per year trucker, June 10, 2013
First of all I didn't buy this off of Amazon, had enough points built up on fuel card to get it pretty much free.
Second : I drive 125k per year and have used MANY gps units, always come back to Garmin. Tried many others including 3 other 7 inch screens.
Last if you expect to use GPS to keep you out of trouble and to have it do the weights, bridge, truck routes and heights you'll be extremely disappointed. You've got to realize that the GPS unit is as only as good as the information that the state, i.e. Colorado, Idaho, etc. provides the mfg. of the GPS unit. Most of the time I have found that the Individual states DOT doesn't even know what the rules are supposed to be. As a professional driver you have to know what's going on with heights, weights ...read the signs on the road. I've pretty much done oversize loads for 15 years and you can't depend on a GPS to do the work for you. Its only a tool to help you.

The pros are. Super big screen. Loud speaker. Fairly easy route input. Good POI's

The cons are. Some operations take to many options to get to what you want. Hard to add POI's

I do have a major complaint against Garmin, they didn't do enough testing before releasing. Had to return one unit. Second the Firmware had to be updated three times along with the maps right out of the box. There support time on the phone was crappy, average wait time was 30 min.

Overall I would recommend this unit for the size and speaker. Garmin compared to other brands does a far better job of telling you where you are and how to get to where you needed to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, January 31, 2013
I bought a Cobra 8000 at first. It was horrible, so I exchanged it for this Garmin 760. I am so glad I did. It feels like a quality piece of equipment when your holding it. The graphics are really good too. I am a professional truck driver and really like all the little features it has. It will notify me if there is a change in speed limit coming up or a sharp curve or even a steep downgrade. I also like how dark I can adjust it for night, or how super bright I can make it during the day. You can get audio books on it if you chose. I am excited about this thing and just wish I started out buying this one first. Garmin only makes GPS devices, so you know they put a lot of effort into making good ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy tour bus driver, August 27, 2013
I Drive a tour bus and we do a lot of touring in cities and it is great not to have to worry about going down a street that's too narrow or has a low overpass. I just set the profile for my motor coach. and after using it for a month I trust it to not get me into a situation I cant get out of. and the displays are great. I would recommend this unit to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly works, February 20, 2013
The Dezl 760 works as advertised.
There are some issues however:
1) The ecoRoute HD accessory only works when you select automobile mode. It does not work in truck or RV mode.
2) The unit is very large. It can seriously impact your forward visibility if you use it in a small car. Also it is unstable if you use a bean bag mount. I use the bean bag because I use it in more than 1 vehicle.
3) When you are connecting it to a computer be aware that there are 2 USB slots on the device. The mini-USB slot in the back is only for charging. The micro-USB slot on the bottom is for connecting to a computer.
4) When I connected it to the computer, it indicated that I needed to update the maps. It failed in the attempt. One message I got in the process indicated it didn't have enough space on the device. The map it was trying to install is the same one that came on the device, so I don't know if it will work for future releases or not. I may need to add a microSD card.

The things I like about the unit:
1) There is a dashboard that shows 4 different data items at the bottom of the screen.
2) You can also customize 3 buttons on the right side of the screen.
3) It is easier to see and use than my Nuvi 1490.
4) It has a better receiver than my Nuvi 1490. It gets a good signal in my office downstairs. The Nuvi gets nothing.

I am using this in my RV.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - but Still Suffers from Garmin's Poor Routing, August 6, 2013
RWT "Tennessee Photo" (Middle Tennessee, USA) - See all my reviews
I use this unit in my motorhome. It is a nice unit and better than the Nuvi products I've used. The screen is quite large and is easy to see although being so large it presents some challenges to secure to the dashboard.

Unfortunately, this unit still suffers from Garmin's poor routing methodology. Often, it's routing is sub-optimal resulting in taking roads which are difficult for large vehicles when other roads are available. In addition, the unit will often route us in a manner which takes more time and on poorer roads than other available options - this is true regardless on how you set up the unit. This seems to be a rather consistent issue with Garmin units and, while this unit is better than other Garmin units, it is far, far from perfect. What I found I have to do is to download routing from MapQuest in addition to using the Garmin unit. Then, I compare the routings and make notes where MapQuest provides a better route. If I use the MapQuest route, the Garmin unit will eventually catch up and route me correctly. However, I have NOT yet found an instance where Garmin provides a better route than MapQuest.

Also, the Garmin unit does NOT download and use MapQuest data correctly although it says it can. On a recent trip, I tried downloading MapQuest data and importing it into the Garmin unit following the instructions provided by Garmin. The unit failed completely. It tried to route me almost 80-miles off the route I imported. I must say that I was not surprised given my experience with Garmin's technology. I contacted Garmin support for help. Then only thing which works worse that the Garmin unit is Garmin's technical support. They are just awful and useless!

Having said all this, I can say that I still use the unit when traveling. It does a good enough job 85% of the time that it is still an aid. However, I also take the additional steps I mentioned to ensure safe traveling given the limitations/issues with Garmin routing technology.

1.0 out of 5 stars sucks, March 14, 2014
I'm from Chicago IL
I just received my new garmin, I was so excited :) but as soon I start using the gps it suck so bad... roads that millions of truck drivers used gps says no truck road for example La Grange rd, archer ave, and many more terrible :( big cost for bad gps... garmin needs to step up...Up dates UP DATES

4.0 out of 5 stars Bugs in the RV mode - be careful!, April 11, 2013
Bought a new Class A motorhome in February and this was the first accessory I bought for it, specifically for the RV mode routing. Low overpasses, weight limits and tunnel restrictions make using a specialized mapping unit a necessity in a large RV. But many of the trucking-specific functions in GPS units designed for commercial use are a bit of overkill for a motorhome trip. For instance, I don't have to keep a log and I'll never be hauling toxic waste...well, other than the contents of the poopy tank :). So having a GPS unit which componsates for the rig size and weight as well the on-board propane tank when doing route selection is critical. I bought the dezl 750lmt based on early reviews here and in various trucker and RV publications. Programmed in my RV profile - height, weight, length, etc - and started to plan our shake-down trip, a jaunt from RI to Florida. It's a trip I've done dozens of times and am painfully aware of the fact there are propane restrictions on the Baltimore harbor tunnels that require a 30-mile detour from I-95. So I was dismayed when my new Garmin, in RV mode, mapped the trip right through those tunnels! Scratching my head, I put the GPS in truck mode and, sure enough, it routed around the city like I expected. So it's not the map details at fault. It's RV mode.

I contacted Garmin and received an email stating that the engineers are aware of the problem, but as of 4/10/13 have no ETA for a fix.

Work-around that I found is to create a truck profile which matches the specifications of the RV. Select "compressed gas" from the HAZMAT listing, and then use the GPS in truck mode instead of RV mode. You can even change the truck icon displayed on the active route map to an RV image if you want to make it look "right", but be sure the GPS stays in truck mode.

I'm still giving this 4-stars even with the current bug. Since I found that workaround, everything else is as expected and superior to the other GPS unit's I've used over the years. If Garmin doesn't release a patch in the next month or two, though, I'll revise my rating downward. And if they fix it quickly, I'd be happy to raise it to 5 stars.

Rate and Discover Movies