5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well
I bought the foot pod so I could use my 405CX on an indoor track and have been pleased with the results.

Published on December 18, 2009 by Lee Abraham

2.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 6 months
Published on January 12, 2010 by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, December 18, 2009
Lee Abraham (Merritt Island, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Foot Pod [Retail Packaging] (Electronics)

Calibration was easy. On the Garmin 010-00658-30 Forerunner 405CX GPS Sport Watch with Heart Rate Monitor (Blue) you can calibrate it using the GPS or a 400m track. I chose to use the GPS and it had me run .66 of a mile. Was easy and seems to be pretty accurate. The only issue is that you need to calibrate it at the pace you usually run at. For instance I usually run at a 10 minute/mile pace but since I was only running .66 miles while calibrating it I ran at a much faster pace throwing it off a bit.

Running on a .10 mile indoor track after 3.5 miles it was off by about 50' more by the end of the run. Not perfect by any means but I could probably calibrate it more (or you can adjust it manually) to key it in.

I don't use it running while outside, but if you don't like the pace setting of the GPS you can have the watch display pace according to the foot pod instead.

Installation and removal is easy. The instructions say it will fit in an insole pocket if your shoe has one, but mine does not. To attach it to the laces you slide the mounting bracket under two X's where your shoe laces cross then snap the pod over the top. To remove you have to press a tab that unhooks it. It's very secure and takes a lot of pressure to remove it. I have no fear that it will come off while running.

I am very happy with the pod, it works very well, and is easy to use. If you want to use your GPS watch on a treadmill or indoor track during the winter months, it's a must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, January 24, 2010
NOV8TR (Santa Barbara, Ca.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Foot Pod [Retail Packaging] (Electronics)
I purchased this unit with the intention of using it on my elliptical trainer during those times when it was too late or too wet/windy to walk/jog outside. My Forerunner 305 already accurately records distance and speed without the Foot Pod as long as I'm outside (my preferred method of exercise), and the cadence tracking capability was not all that important to me (I'm an old man, not an athlete in training). It took several iterations to make this gizmo work with the elliptical trainer (Schwinn 430), but I did finally get it to work. I was able to get it to match the cadence, distance, speed and calories expended, to within just a few percent. Unfortunately, the cam mechanism I designed to make the foot pod think I was wearing it on my shoe while running, made enough noise to make my spouse agitated, and therefore rendered my solution impractical. I have replaced my "elliptical trainer solution" with a Garmin bicycle cadence sensor (non contact and therefore totally silent). So now that I already own it, I clip on the Foot pod for my outdoor activities (which is what it is designed for), and it does add one more set of data points for me to use, which I now admit is helpful (cadence). I have used it on a tread mill (Cardiac rehabilitation after the second heart attack), and it works quite well. If I was a hard core runner, this would be a "must have item". In my opinion this little gadget (at more than $80 after shipping) isn't worth the expense unless you are using it indoors to assist in recording data on a tread mill. It is well built and easy to clip on your shoe laces. The instruction manual that come with it is next to useless, but it is a simple enough to use without much instruction if you are not too picky about getting very precise data output (us engineer types are never satisfied with the data we are given!). I would recommend this product to an athlete in training, or to someone who spends a lot of time on a tread mill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, August 29, 2010
This review is from: Garmin Foot Pod [Retail Packaging] (Electronics)
I bought this to go with my Garmin 405 purchased earlier this year. I love the watch w HR monitor... it has completely changed the way I plan my runs, that is I do not have to plan them out by driving a route in my car with the trip meter going, and then forget the route halfway through my run. Plus its a lot of fun to be able to come home and look at all of the data that was downloaded including the map of my run. When the temperature started to get super hot and humid this summer, I unfortunately had to switch to mainly treadmill running. After getting my 405, it seemed like more of a pain keeping track of my training manually (I know I know, I never had an issue with it before but I guess I am spoiled now). Anyways, on to the foot pod. It did not take me long after returning to treadmill running to determine that I really wanted the foot pod.

I read a ton of Amazon reviews before purchasing, and all I have to say is I love it. Its extremely accurate. I did not calibrate it before my 1st attempt because I wanted to see how it started out. After the 1st 4 miles it was off from what the treadmill readout behind 0.02. Next attempt, ahead by about 0.01 after 4 miles. Also seems accurate from the indoor track I use sometimes. Keep in mind that the treadmill might also be off this amount and the foot pod more accurate. Needless to say I will just leave it with factory setting.

I had read a couple of reviews that mentioned it coming out of laces while running. To this I say... USER ERROR. It may 1st seem that the foot pod is all one piece, but if you look at it from bottom or side you can tell that there is a clip on the bottom. The first time I tried to remove the clip, I was a little nervous I would break it, but did not. Very easy to put on laces.

Some other users also mentioned battery problems. I have been using mine for about a month now with no issues.

The first time you use it make sure you check your settings on your Garmin watch so that it doesn't search for satellite and knows to get data from the food pod. Also when you get into training mode, the watch detects your HR monitor first then about 5-10 seconds later the foot pod.

Overall great product that I would recommend to anyone who runs on a regular basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Amazing!, December 1, 2009
eeagle (Melbourne, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Foot Pod [Retail Packaging] (Electronics)
I bought this foot pod to use with my Forerunner 50. The 010-11092-00 is the latest model sometimes listed as SDM4 (ANT+) and is quite small; barely bigger than the CR2032 3V Lithium battery that powers it. It easily "paired" with my Forerunner. What was most impressive was the distance recorded on my first use (w/o calibration) was exactly the distance I had recorded previously with a GPS device. From what I have read the pod accelerometers sense and compensate for stride and speed differences...pretty amazing.

More info on Garmin Foot Pods here:
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, October 23, 2009
Overall great product. Easy to use and simple connection to the Garmin 305. I use mostly for teadmill workouts. Only concern is that if you plan on running different tempos during the same run, it's accuracy is a little off. For example, if calibrate it for my slow 9:30 min pace, and then do a speed interval at 7:30, the distance will be off slightly unless stop and recalibrate to the 7:30 pace or initially calibrate it to somewhere in between. However, I love the cadence feature, which has really helped me improve my form and pace (I was running 159 steps/minute and now I run 180 after training with it for a couple of weeks). It fits securely into my shoelaces and can be removed easily when I run outside and want to use the GPS features of the watch. (The footpod will override the GPS distance if you try to use them both)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, October 18, 2009
Lee Abraham (Merritt Island, FL) - See all my reviews
Edit: Amazon swiched products. This review is for the Garmin 010-11092-00 Foot Pod Personal GPS Tracker. For some reason they switched this product page to the old Garmin foot pod. I reviewed the new model.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 6 months, January 12, 2010
I bought one of these as a kit to go with the Garmin Forerunner 50. It worked OK for about 6 months and then stopped working altogether. It turns on by shaking it (or walking) to get the sensor to wake up and the LED flashes to let you know it's on. Even after replacing the battery with a new one I could not get the sensor to turn on (no LED flashes, no data collected on the Garmin). I used it for about 500-600 miles of running, and it was not over-exposed to moisture (I typically run on a treadmill when it rains hard).

When it did work, it was difficult to calibrate my pace. I measured several areas where I run and no matter how many times I tried calibrating the unit to these known distances, it would give me results that were close but still an average of 10-15% off. The only time it worked really well was if you maintained roughly the same pace and stride pattern as was used when you calibrated it, and ran on the same types of surfaces. So for trail runs or tempo/interval/sprint days, it was always off. Different shoes threw it off also.

I would have given it 1 1/2 stars if that was possible. Two seems acceptable since I did get some use out of it and it did help me to work on maintaining a steady pace during my runs (even if the recorded pace was wrong).

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for running cadence tracking, September 12, 2010
I use it exclusively for tracking my cadence while road/street running. I do not train using treadmills so I can't comment on that application. I use a 305 Forerunner and, the GPS is still engaged for tracking distance while the pod just tracks cadence. Setup/pairing was done in 15 seconds. Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Companion to Forerunner for the Indoor, May 21, 2011
This review is from: Garmin Foot Pod [Retail Packaging] (Electronics)
Got this together with my Forerunner 310XT. Compact (it is smaller than the foot-pod available for Polar watches), fast detection (within 3 secs), ease of putting it on (thanks to its quick-snap on feature without the need to unlace). A very useful gadget for goal-oriented runners who do treadmill workouts. The foot-pod will give you very accurate foot-stride turnover (cadence, speed and pace.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, January 26, 2010
This review is from: Garmin Foot Pod [Retail Packaging] (Electronics)
I got this for indoor tracks and treadmill running. I have done about a 100 miles so far. I have not calibrated it yet, but it is really close to the tread mill read out--about 4 hundredths difference over 6 miles. What I have noticed is that how you attach it changes the registered pace. Once you get it counting pace the way you want continue to attach it the same way after that.

Overall the pod is small and does not bother me. I really like being able to upload the winter workouts to the Garmin log. I recommend it.

Garmin Foot Pod [Retail Packaging]