4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Triathlete Accessory
I struggled a little with how to rate this quick release kit.

Comparing it to the 310xt mount... Garmin 310XT QR Kit (updated)

Pros:
The band is nice (same as the 910 watch)
It is slightly lower profile
The band is attached to the backplate with screws

Cons:
It still adds too much height to the watch on my wrist...
Published on July 18, 2012 by Tim N

Published on July 8, 2012 by Carlton

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the Quick Release if you don't want to risk losing your 910XT during triathlon swims, July 8, 2012
Carlton (Indianapolis, IN, United States) - See all my reviews
My 910XT was lost during the swim at Ironman Muncie 70.3 and now resides at the bottom of Prairie Creek Reservoir. Surprisingly, it did not happen during the first few minutes of combat swimming; I checked my wrist at the second buoy and it was still there. I suspect that it was spun off of the mount during subsequent passing / being passed, or perhaps it was loosened during the start and just didn't fall off until later.

My 910XT made it through 2 previous triathlons without incident (1.5k swim, 3k swim), but was not so fortunate the third time.

The comments on another review suggested the person didn't have the 910XT properly secured to the mount. I'm sure mine was because I was paranoid about losing it. But unfortunately not paranoid enough to re-install the standard band.

I knew my 910XT was missing because I could feel the decreased water resistance as my hand entered the water, which brings up the second problem with the Quick Release Kit: it makes the watch much taller. It adds about 2 watch bands worth of thickness underneath the watch (one for the quick release back that attaches to the watch, one for the receptacle on the band.) This adds only a nominal amount of resistance when your hand enters the water during the forward stroke; the biggest drawback is that it looks less flattering on your arm. (This wasn't a big enough deal for me not to use it.)

The best part of the Quick Release Kit is the bike mount. I loved having my 910XT on my aero bar extensions, it was perfectly positioned for easy viewing and no arm interference. The bike mount was easy to install and plenty secure.

If you aren't going to be doing open water swims and want a great bike mount, this kit may work for you. Otherwise, save yourself the heartache and avoid the Quick Release Kit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another on bites the dust, July 16, 2012
This review is from: Garmin GPS Forerunner 910XT Quick Release Kit (Accessory)
So, that's three of us here having lost the Garmin during the swim portion of a race. A plethora of others on various forums.

If you wish to use the Quick Release kit ... which is excellent on the bike and switching to the run ... then I recommend rolling uo your wetsuit, putting on watch rolling wetsuit back over the top.

Someone else told me to bin the QR strap, spin the watch to the back of the wrist when riding (works in aero) then spin it back round for the run. I am going to try this as losing $400 + tax to the murky depths of the lake was a bit too much for me to deal with.

Garmin - There needs to be some form of safety mechanism. The watch is not safe enough during a race as it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Triathlete Accessory, July 18, 2012
Tim N (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin GPS Forerunner 910XT Quick Release Kit (Accessory)
I struggled a little with how to rate this quick release kit.

Comparing it to the 310xt mount... Garmin 310XT QR Kit (updated)

Pros:
The band is nice (same as the 910 watch)
It is slightly lower profile
The band is attached to the backplate with screws

Cons:
It still adds too much height to the watch on my wrist

I wanted to give it a 3-star rating also adding that I've heard of people losing their watch during open water swimming due to quick release backplate breaking. Because I haven't personally experienced this I decided I couldn't take off a star for this reason.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Design, June 10, 2012
This review is from: Garmin GPS Forerunner 910XT Quick Release Kit (Accessory)
I had my new Garmin 910XT for only two weeks before using the quick release band during my first triathlon. It quick released my expensive GPS unit to the bottom of the quarry during the open water swim. The unit was secure according to instructions but still was dislodged after the expected bumping that occurs during a race.
Use this at your own risk. Better yet: Don't buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the 310XT..., August 20, 2012
I'm upgrading from the Garmin 310XT to the 910XT and have found the Quick Release kit very valuable for Olympic triathlons and longer. I've uploaded a couple photos to compare the two in case you are familiar with the 310XT Quick Release kit. The design of the interface is unchanged. The 910XT watch could 1/4 turn onto a 310XT band. More useful is if you have bike mounts for your 310XT already on your bike, the 910XT can just twist onto those leaving you additional mounts in this kit for spares.

The part that fastens onto the 910XT watch is actually better fitting than the 310XT part. That brings the watch closer to the wrist. This, coupled with the fact that the watch is thinner, significantly reduces the overall profile (see photo). The only step backward with this design can be seen in my 3/4 view photo with the 910XT in the background. Where the watch interfaces with the band there is now a small overhanging shelf. If something got caught under that shelf, it could break the watch free from the band. An approach to reduce this possibility would be to wear the watch loose (at least during the swim). That way, if something got caught under the shelf the watch would rotate around your wrist.

The mount doesn't inspire a lot of confidence as it is all plastic and somewhat thin. However, the added functionality is a big benefit during races which leads me to the 4-star review.

Carlton (Indianapolis, IN, United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary for Triathletes or duathletes, December 24, 2012
John @ JargaPix "El Jefe @ JargaPix" (Bergen County, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin GPS Forerunner 910XT Quick Release Kit (Accessory)
Great strap for runners & swimmers. The 910 clicks in and doesn't move when running. When transitioning to the bike you just give it a quarter turn and its off then quarter turn to mount in the bike. I've run over 25 miles and biked over 100 & not had a problem.

I have read it falling off people in the water during races. I haven't tried it but I would consider turning the face inward toward your body and maybe wrapping a sheet of cellophane paper to keep the unit in place.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for training, and long courses, but don't use for shorter courses., April 22, 2014
Howard Allen (Lenexa, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin GPS Forerunner 910XT Quick Release Kit (Accessory)
This device has been pretty useful for me, in particular for training.
Brick work and bike work alone take good advantage of this item.
It is very nice to be able to finish a swim and pop the computer off of the wrist and pop it into the bike.
Additionally, the bike portion alone makes it worth it, as I don't know that there is another mounting option out there that doesn't require you to have the wristband on.

Swimming work alone and running work alone, or swimming work combined with running work do not require this item.

With that said, I leave the quick release on all the time anymore when training.

Swimming:
Pool: I always wear this device in the pool and have never had the device fall off (1 year * ~10k a week).
Open water: I do not use this device in open water, as I have read the other reviews and am paranoid about losing it. If I am doing a long open water swim as my only workout or if I am doing an Olympic distance tri or shorter I will remove the quick release and use the normal watch band for the entire race/workout.

Bike:
I use this in conjunction with the Bar Fly TT Garmin mount and it works great.
I use this for all training rides.
When doing long course (70.3 & >) I leave the computer on the bike and hit the start button when I leave transition (so I don't record the swim). When doing shorter courses (< 70.3) I leave the watch on my wrist from the start and do not use the quick release kit.

Run:
This is where I have my biggest gripe. Despite the fact that the 910 is smaller than previous versions (305, 310), it is still monstrously bulky. Adding the quick release kit pushes it out another eighth of an inch off your wrist. would love for them to figure out something a little less bulky. I take the quick release kit off when doing just running races.
With that said, it is very easy to transition from the bike to the run with this device... just twist and pull off the bike, and then push and twist on the wrist... hit the lap button on auto transition and you are off!!

1.0 out of 5 stars finally, the chance came to me as well, August 18, 2012
Like other people said, the quick release is so easy to be broken.
I just lost my 910XT during the OWS race(4k) and i was so disappointed about this.
Apparently, before the race, I was worried about the fact that this watch might pulled off from the wrist band during the first battle. However, i wanted to collect some *real race* data and gave it a go. and then... yes... as i imagined.
*Maybe i should have changed the quick release to wrist band, but it is too late now.

Anyhow, I recommend "do not buy this" if you're going to use for swim lag.
In the other hand, for Bike/Run lag, it works quite well.

1.0 out of 5 stars The 910 doesn't float..., August 15, 2012
Zach (DALLAS, TX, US) - See all my reviews
I too lost my 910 during the swim portion of a local Triathlon. Unless you figure out how to secure the watch to your wrist with another strap during the swim, do not buy the quick release band.

Garmin GPS Forerunner 910XT Quick Release Kit