Garmin Forerunner 305 Calorie Counter Not Working I use the Forerunner 305 for indoor gym workouts. The heart rate monitor works fine but the calorie counter seems way off. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Thank you.
asked by R. Johnson on May 19, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
The 305 doesn't calculate calorie consumption based on heart rate. It used distance traveled, weight and age in a similar way that a treadmill does. You can run inside on a treadmill using the footpod accessory, which calculates distance without the use of the GPS. (similar to the Nike product). The footpod works very well and will give you your desired results. This is clearly stated on the Garmin site within the features of the product.
Charles E. Arms answered on June 15, 2009
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Just so I understand, as well: Garmin 305 will not track indoor calories associated with a strength training routine? Thank you.
Deidre Culhane answered on August 23, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Many people use SportTracks to calculate their calories accurately for things like biking and running (and skating and skiing and kayaking and stair stepping and swimming...). It's designed for use with GPS devices, but you can enter data manually to track your workouts as well. It also has the advantage of letting you plug in daily weight fluctuations easily to improve its accuracy, etc.

The Garmin 305 itself calculates calories primarily on weight and distance. The newer models (310XT, 405) supposedly now at least somewhat incorporate heart rate as well. Software like SportTracks takes the raw data and calculates things on its own, and it may or may not agree with what the Garmin itself says. You could easily take the Garmin's distance info and plug it into your own weight/distance formula somewhere, too. It's not really super fancy in the calorie calculation department.

No, the Garmin 305 doesn't accurately do indoor calories associated with a strength training routine. (1) Accurate body weight and (2) distance moved by your body as a whole are the key elements necessary for calorie calculation. You can't provide that info from a strength training routine.
M. Twain answered on October 21, 2009

A
Wow. I'm so glad I read this. I wanted it for a running watch AND a workout watch. If it doesn't base the calorie output from heart rate, it's of little use to me in cross training events.
Aminta answered on April 9, 2013

A
Thanks for your response. I thought that was the case but was not sure whether I was missing something.
R. Johnson answered on June 15, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hi everybody, first time poster here. I've been using a sort of mapping system by Telenav. It is really useful to me because I can see other people's bike routes and the best part is calculating the calories I can burn. (see it here: http://maps.telenav.com/tnmap/). Just wondering if anybody has a calorie counter they recommend?
A. Yen answered on October 7, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product