1,248 Reviews

1,130 of 1,154 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars This 405 user loves his new 110
BACKGROUND:
-----------
I have used a Garmin 405 to track my weekend long runs for about 1.5 years. Previously I owned the Garmin 305. I'm using the 110 with with my 405 chest strap (saved me $50).

SUMMARY:
--------
Published on August 16, 2010 by ldm616

2.0 out of 5 stars It Freezes/Hangs
Published on October 6, 2010 by Grumpy

1,130 of 1,154 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars This 405 user loves his new 110, August 16, 2010
ldm616 (United States) - See all my reviews
BACKGROUND:
-----------

SUMMARY:
--------
The 110 does everything I do with my 405 in a significantly smaller, lighter form factor with a superior GPS chip (in theory, to be proven).

REASONS WHY I LIKE MY NEW 110 BETTER THAN MY OLD 405:
-----------------------------------------------------

* It's smaller and less bulky than the 405, looks and feels like a regular watch, and wraps snugly around my smallish wrist.

* I don't have to fiddle around with the temperamental 405 touch-(in)sensitive bezel.

* The displayed numbers for distance/hr/time/pace are bigger on the 110 than the 405, so easier for me to read on the run.

* There are fewer menus to navigate.

* Like the 405, GPS locking and accuracy works just fine, even under trees (more below).

* Like the 405, I can set the auto-lap to increment every 1 mile (other distances available).

* The 110 displays everything I want to track during and after my run.
- Elapsed distance (for run), Elapsed time (for run), Current HR, Average pace (for current lap), Last lap pace (displayed automatically for a few seconds after each lap), Average HR (for run), Average pace (for run). Average HR and pace for the entire run are show under "History" at the end of my run.

* To make this tangible, I can glance at the watch to see that so far I've run 2.1 miles in 21 minutes, my current HR is 160, my pace for the current mile (mile 3) is 9:56 and my pace for the last lap (mile 2) was 10:01. At the end of my run, I click through to "History" and see that my average HR for the entire run was 162bpm and my average pace was 9:54 minute miles. For me, currently, all I care about is keeping my HR in the 160-170bpm range (your range will probably be different) while trying to keep my pace under 10:00. In general, I suspect most runners will have the same requirements: Track your current HR to keep it within a target range while attempting to meet or beat a per-mile pace goal.

* The 110 has a longer battery life

* I never used the other 405 features like courses, virtual partner, etc. Ironically, I "customized" the 405 screens to pretty much do what the 110 displays by default (but cannot be changes).

WHAT'S ALL THE FUSS ABOUT "CURRENT PACE"?
-----------------------------------------

I guess some runners want to know the pace they are running RIGHT NOW. Think of it as their instantaneous pace - kinda like what a car speedometer gives you. Some folks call it "current pace" but that can be confusing when you also have average pace for the current mile, so let's call current pace the "right-now" pace. Unlike the 405, the 110 does not give you your right-now pace. Instead you get your average pace for the current lap. If your auto-lap is set to 1 mile (the default setting) then you'll see your average pace for the current mile. I for one don't need right-now pace. Since I'm trying to hit per-mile pace goals I want to see my average pace for the current mile. If I'm trying to hit a 10:00 pace for the current mile, and I start out too slow, the 110 will tell me my average pace for the current mile is slower, let's say 11:00, and I know I need to run the rest of the mile faster to bring my average pace for the current mile down from 11:00 to my target pace of 10:00. As I speed up, my average pace for the current mile will slowly drop from 11:00 to 10:00. Bottom line: Right-now pace doesn't help me hit per-mile pace goals so I could care less if it's "missing" from the 110. If all you are doing is trying to hit per-mile pace goals (eg run a 10:00 miles) then you'll be just fine with the 110.

ANY GPS ISSUES?
---------------

Not for me. Check out connect dot garmin dot com slash activity slash 44862992 and you'll see my test walk/run. Click to view the map in "Satellite" mode and notice that most of my test walk was under thick tree cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says it does well, June 10, 2010
pros-quick satellite fix, very clear display, waterproof, shows the info you need not what you don't, uses buttons instead of bezel controls, uses USB instead of wireless connection.
cons-fairly expensive, GPS loses some accuracy under heavy tree cover.

This watch is especially good for two kinds of runners: those who run on trails, and can't easily lock in distances (and thus pace); and those who travel, but still want to run outside, rather than on hotel treadmills. In both instances, this watch will give you accurate distance information, as well as pace and heart rate. The other big improvements that I haven't seen mentioned in other reviews are that unlike the 405, it has reverted to button controls, and also to a direct USB cable connection to your computer for uploading run information. Garmin is not advertising these changes, since they are ostensibly steps backward from the 405's bezel controls and wireless connection, but these were the sources of most of the complaints about the 405--especially problems with the bezel once it got wet with sweat or rain. This is no longer an issue.

You have to wonder whether some of the people writing these (one star) reviews actually run--or whether they work for Polar or Timex? The watch gives you distance, time and pace, as well as heart rate information, as you go. For most easy or long runs on trails or the road, this is all you need. On the track, you know the distance, so if you're doing intervals, just use the stopwatch. The only scenario where the lack of 'current pace' could be a problem as far as I can see is in doing tempo runs, if you do do them by time (say 20 minutes easy, 40 minutes tempo, 10 minutes warm down) instead of by distance, as I do them. By time, you could get a situation where your first and last miles of tempo running get mixed in with running at an easy pace, and the pace data would be useless. Still, if you set the autolap function at .25 miles, very little of your run is going to be logged inaccurately (at most the first and last quarter mile in that tempo workout). Similarly, if you happen to be changing pace lot during a run and want immediate feedback, the watch does give you that. So-called current speed on a GPS watch is always somewhat of an estimate anyway, since it is plotting your location between two points, measuring the time it took you, and then doing the math. There's really no such thing as an instantaneous current pace calculation, and if you have your watch set on .25 mile autolap, that's not much more than the distance that would actually be used for a current pace calculation otherwise.

One criticism: although the satellites initially lock onto my watch after an average of 30 seconds and seem to give very accurate distance ad elevation information (the latter on the Garmin Connect website), there is one part of my usual run under heavy tree cover where it seems like the satellites lose me for a tenth of a mile or less, which makes the data for that mile always come out slower than I'm actually running. It makes up the difference on the next mile, which makes that one come out too fast. Both are off by around 15 seconds/mile, and this is a bit annoying. Although I can do the calculation to average the two and see that each time they basically come out even, it seems that Garmin should have come up with an algorithm for the watch's software that would compensate for such discrepancies within the mile where they happen, rather than giving inaccurate information for two consecutive miles.

Bottom line: this watch gives you a lot of useful information, and even more when you download it to the Garmin Connect site. Unlike other Garmin watches, it doesn't give some extra cycling information and the heart rate monitor doesn't work in the pool, so it's really a watch for runners, not triathletes. But for semi-serious to very serious runners, it gives you everything you need, without the bells and whistles--and the headaches--of the 405.

5.0 out of 5 stars I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT, May 17, 2010
I'am no marathon runner, just trying to get back to running like back in my cross country/track high school days. It's sooooo easy to use. I bought the 305/405 and immediately returned it because it was entirely too hard to figure out how to use. With the 110 you charge it, create your profile (weight, age, sex) go outside and let it sink with the satellites...then press start. It's that simple. If you get the one with the heart rate monitor, it gives you calories burned, and heart rate. I see people in here griping about something regarding the "pace". I don't know..it displays the pace you are going at, so i'm not too sure what that is all about. You sync it with the garmin website, and it give you greater "in depth" information about your run.

Just remember that this isn't suppose to have all the bells and whistle the other running watches have. This is for just simple use; distance, pace, calories, heart rate, time. This will suffice most people, and definitely extremely user friendly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch! "current pace" explanation here!, February 24, 2011
i have had this watch for about 3 months now. i have never owned any other type of gps enable watch before this one. however, my father owns the forerunner 305 and my mother has the forerunner 405 so i do still have some experience with those watches as well. in my opinion this is the best watch of the group hands down. the watch literally feels like a standard stopwatch. no extra weight, no extra bulk. the 405 does not quite fit like a normal watch due to the antenna extending down into the wrist strap. this watch is extremely comfortable to wear at all times and very adjustable in size (the holes go around the entire strap). this watch is very basic for runners and thus lacks the extra bells and whistles that the 305 and 405 have such as "ghost" trainers and "breadcrumb" directions. however this watch gives you current pace (more in just a moment), distance, calories, time, heart rate, and chimes at each "lap." for a standard running regimen this watch is more than enough to supplement a good, hard workout.

CURRENT PACE EXPLANATION
-i have noticed a lot of confusion about the idea of this watch lacking current "real-time" pace. However, to be quite honest, "real time" pace on a gps watch is pretty useless. the gps in the watch is NOT hooked up to a satellite CONTINUOUSLY. no gps in the world has this capability. instead, each gps has a certain "ping" time to send and receive a signal from a satellite. more advanced gps systems have quicker "pings" to more closely mimic a continuous connection but the connection is still never actually continuous. on watches that advertise "current pace," the watch is simply showing you the exact speed at which you were going between the last two pings. basically the watch calculates the distance traveled between each ping and then uses the time it took you to go that distance to get a speed. this leaves a lot of room for random spikes and troughs in the data. no human can run at a single speed across a certain distance. the human body simply cannot set itself to "cruise" and go from there. thus a "real time" pace is fairly useless for a runner. let me give an example. if someone were to turn on their forerunner 405 and set it to show current pace and run for 20 seconds at an 8:00min/mi pace, assuming the watch has a ping every 2 seconds or so, the data would look something like this: 6:52, 7:20, 8:15,7:47, 8:30, 6:59, 8:02, 8:10, etc...obviously this data is not really constant with an 8:00min/mi pace however the person may still very well be able to hit EXACTLY an 8:00min mile. What the forerunner 110 does, rather than show the data from EACH ping, is it takes each ping and adds it to a list with every other ping that has been recorded across the time frame and averages them all together. the final number that is shown on your watch will thus be called the "current AVERAGE pace." which in all honesty is MUCH more useful if one is trying to hit a certain pace goal. basically this current average pace can quite accurately depict your mile split well before you've reached the mile marker..if you speed up significantly then the ping data will thus be in a lower range and bring your "average" time down. now some of you might think that this means that the watch only displays a pace that doesnt refresh very often. however, the exact opposite is true. the watch will refresh the current average pace every time another ping comes in..so basically your current average pace could hypothetically move up or down with every single ping. but due to the beauty of the AVERAGE, the watch will not jump around sporadically like in a "current pace" but rather stay around a certain time and gradually move up or down according to your speed. in essence, the "current pace" on a lot of gps watches is really truly useless and most people will never end up using it because it doesnt actually give you any solid data to work off of. because the data is changing so dramatically each second, the data is just plain useless. FYI: some runners may have noticed very random spikes in their "fastest" pace that the garmin software will show after uploading the data. basically, "fastest pace" during your run means that for one single ping during the run you might have run a 5:34min/mile pace for all of 1 second. however, because that pace is still part of the data that is added into the overall time, it still counts as your "fastest pace" for the run even though your average mile pace for the workout was only 8:34...

another nice thing about this watch is that after each run is saved to the history on the watch, it can be accessed to show the average pace over the entire distance rather than just the mile splits. the mile splits for older runs can only be accessed and viewed once the watch is connected to a computer and the data is uploaded.

hope all of this has cleared up any confusion about current average pace for the forerunner 110!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, and works well, June 30, 2010
Andrew Mogendorff (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I've had this watch for a few weeks now and have been very impressed. It's light, compact and looks pretty good too. I saw another guy last week who was wearing an older running watch - the display was huge! I'm very happy with this Garmin and have worn it as a regular watch a few times too.

I'm also happy with the performance. I'm not sure why other reviews say that current pace isn't shown on the display - it very clearly is. The top third of the display shows total distance, the center toggles between time and heart rate, and the bottom third shows current pace. When you complete a mile it shows average pace for 10 seconds or so, then goes back to current pace. Perhaps there was a software update since the reviews were written - when I connected the watch to my PC and went to Garmin's website an update was automatically downloaded and installed (very easy process) so if I'm being charitable to those reviewers I'd assume that was the case.

The buttons on the watch work really well, and were easy to learn - I don't want to think about how to use them while I'm running, and after the first couple of times using it I don't have to. They feel responsive and solid. I've run in the rain and had no problems with moisture damage.

The link to Garmin's site is also very nice. It's easy to upload your activities, and the information it shows is very clear. I love seeing the maps of where I've been, and using the play feature to see how my pace and heart rate vary with location and elevation changes, plus estimated calories burned.

The only criticism I'd have is that it's not always 100% easy to connect the USB cable to the watch, as they've used a clip thing rather than a port, but I would guess they didn't want moisture to get in the port.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with this. It's given me the confidence and information to run by myself instead of relying on running buddies to keep me on pace, and has been a great motivator for my running, and my times have definitely improved. Definitely five stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent device for tracking distance and pace, October 16, 2010
I currently run 80-90 miles per week and just moved to Colorado where there are lots of trails. I used to do all my running with a simple stopwatch so I am completely new to GPS watches. I went with the 110 because I wanted something I could use on my easy days and long runs on the trails for tracking the distances covered as I go.

The advantages of the 110:
1. awesome size and fit on your wrist (maybe a tad bulky compared to your normal stopwatch but not too bad, much smaller than older GPS models from what I've seen)
2. quickly locates satellites and doesn't drop signal (and I'm in the middle of nowhere in Colorado)
3. Gives you mileage covered and average pace for the current segment (by default a mile) while you're running
4. Beeps at each mile you hit and lets you know what that mile was just covered in. I can also see from the average pace for the current segment (mile) what I'm likely going to hit the next mile in.

The disadvantages of the 110:
1. it doesn't allow you to review your mile splits on the watch after you've finished your run. You need to upload the data to your computer/GarminConnect in order review them. I don't think this is really a big deal if you're just using it for your daily distance runs (as I am) because the watch beeps after each mile (so you have the last mile split in your head) and at the conclusion of the run you get the total distance covered, time elapsed. So it's not like it's a mystery to figure out what your splits were. But if you want to review that in detail, you'll need to connect it to the computer.
2. There's a lot of fuss from prospective buyers and reviewers that the Garmin Forerunner 110 doesn't give you the instantaneous pace - not really a big deal because instantaneous pace is not of very much use. if you sprint instantaneous pace might read 5:00/mile or something absurd for 10 seconds, then it's going to immediately revert to your normal training pace. The Forerunner 110 instead gives you an average pace for your current segment (by default a mile) which basically tells you what you're projected to hit the current mile in if you stay on the pace you're on since the last mile split (hope that makes sense).

The bottom line on the Garmin Forerunner 110 is that if you're looking for something to just tell you how far you've run and what pace all wrapped into a sleek package (not bulky but more like a real watch), the Forerunner 110 is great. I do most of my hard running (intervals) on a 400m track anyway, and I can't really understand why people feel the need to use GPS for hard workouts, except for maybe tempo runs out on the roads. But even then, while the Forerunner 110 doesn't give you your instantaneous pace, the Forerunner 110 gives you a great indication as to what you'll hit the next mile in. In a sense not having the instantaneous pace is better because you learn to run by feel and you can look down and gradually see your average pace (since the last mile) start to fall off, instead of seeing a highly inaccurate and useless instantaneous pace that's just based off what you ran in the past 10 seconds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Functional, June 16, 2010
I bought the Garmin Forerunner 110 with Heart Rate Monitor. In a word - Fantastic. Very simple to use while you're running. I considered the other models, but some were ridiculously large and had way too many features. I've been coaxed to buying extra features on things in the past, only to learn that 1) they're difficult to take advantage of, or 2) you never use them. Not the case here. As the other reviewer said - you open the box, charge it, answer a couple of prompts, and whammo, you're in business. The screen is easy to read when you're running, and the buttons are also easy to operate. The HRM works as well as any Polar I've used. I highly recommend spending extra bucks to get this feature. For me, I now only have to wear the Garmin. Time is automatically set (which is cool) so I use it as my watch. I don't have to wear a separate "watch" for the HRM. And, you can download you're run information to track it, etc... The other reviews complained about the "current pace". Personally, I don't see that as an issue. I run at a pretty steady pace so the average pace works great for me. Maybe it's important for truly competitive athletes who are on strict training regimens, but for the normal guy or gal this unit is more than ample. It is neat to start on a run and not worry about mileage markers and so forth. The days of taking the car out to pre or post measure my runs are done. Bottomline, it's a good unit. I recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars It Freezes/Hangs, October 6, 2010
I got this as a gift from my wife and for that I love it! But beware, GF 110 FREEZES/HANGS! It happened to me twice after my long runs and while I was uploading the results. It just froze and won't respond. Checked the owner's manual and found out that I had to reset by pressing the light button and wait for it to turn on again. The manual also states that this will not erase the data and setup already in the watch....this is not true! I lost all of the data and had to re-setup the settings. I don't know if Garmin has already addressed this issue at all. I suggest that if you're considering to buy this gizmo, read up on it at the garmin forum. Other than this and its inability to display current pace..its quite okay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Training and Racing Aid, June 4, 2010
The Garmin 110 is an outstanding watch for both training and racing. It shows only the important data: distance, heart rate, lap pace, and time. I configured mine in under 5 minutes, and it requires only two button presses to start a run (one to start the GPS, the other to start the run). This watch is much smaller than any of the other Garmin models, and can be comfortably worn as a day-to-day watch. The strap is wide and comfortable, and the screen is easy to see while running. The SiRFstar IV GPS chip finds satellites quickly, usually between 20-60 seconds, and the heart rate monitor connects within a couple of seconds.

The included charger allows charging from a wall outlet or a computer, and the cable is used to transfer your runs to the [...] website. GarminConnect is easy to use and shows your runs in great detail. The replay feature is easily the coolest part of the site. Runs cannot be reviewed on the watch, so GarminConnect is an integral part of the way this watch functions. I've used my Garmin 110 with Windows Vista and Windows 7. Both work equally well and were easy to set up.

I should note that the other extremely negative reviews are misguided and should be discounted. The primary complaint about this watch is the lack of "current pace". The Garmin 110 does not show current pace by design, so anyone who buys this watch expecting that feature will be severely disappointed. The product description on Amazon is sorely lacking, but a small amount of research would have revealed the features of this watch. The several 1-star ratings are misleading, and do not reflect the quality, size, and functionality of this watch.

The Garmin 110 is an outstanding GPS watch for anyone who doesn't need all the bells and whistles of the more advanced models. This is also the first GPS watch that is small and light enough to be worn day-to-day and actually looks like a watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin 110- love it, May 10, 2010
This watch is straight to the point...gives distance n pace with no problems. no extra buttons to push. no complications like the 305 or 405. easy to use!