4.0 out of 5 stars Wow! A user-friendly Garmin sports watch! What a concept!
Published on June 27, 2011 by G. Davis

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good unless you want to replace it every year...
Published on July 25, 2012 by oldrunner

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow! A user-friendly Garmin sports watch! What a concept!, June 27, 2011
G. Davis (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
My first Garmin GPS sports watch was a Forerunner 305. Worked OK but I was not too fond of carrying a canary cage around on my wrist. And I found most of the menu choices and options irrelevant to what I really needed, which was just to know my pace, distance and elapsed time. I eventually sold it on EBay and "upgraded" to a Forerunner 405. That I found to be a very frustrating piece of equipment: non-intuitive, complicated menus plus a very cranky touch-bezel input method. In a year or so of using that watch, I never got anywhere near comfortable with it. The touch-bezel seemed to have an evil life of its own; I really never could make it work right. And the battery had to be re-charged constantly. Finally, in a fit of frustration, one day I jerked it off my wrist, stomped it to death and threw it in a trashcan. No more Garmin for me for the last year or so.

But, finally, I could no longer deal with not knowing my current pace and started checking out sports watches again. Liked the reviews for the 210 and decided to try one, albeit with great misgivings. Now, after two racewalks using the watch, I can say that I highly recommend it. (Caveat: of course, at this point, I have no idea about long-term dependability.)

I had read that Garmin moved their headquarters and, in the process, got rid of a bunch of their programmers. If that is the case, then perhaps this Garmin 210 is the happy result. Best thing, the irritating touch-bezel is gone! Hooray! Here we have 4 physical buttons. The complicated, hard-to-use menu system is gone, replaced by something easy enough to learn in just a try or two. (Alternatively, you could break down and read the instructions.) The screen does not divide up into slices and offer you choices of what to put into each slice. It just shows you distance at the top (set for miles for kilometers), elapsed time in the middle and pace (set for current or average) at the bottom. Period. Which is all I ever want to see on the watch face, anyway. Fancy stuff like a "virtual runner" is not there. But it saves your history and you can upload runs to Garmin Connect if you want. And it does a few other things that probably some, but not most, users ever actually use. Bottom line is that it's user-friendly, simple and straight-forward -- everything the Forerunner 405, in my opinion, is not. And the battery, unlike the 405, seems to go for a while -- they say at least a week or more, depending on use, of course -- without having to re-charge.

I give it 4 stars instead of 5 only because of the cable USB connector which ends in a 4-prong clip that has to be aligned with 4 connectors on the back of the watch. Takes some attention to clip it in right and looks to me like an area that might develop trouble. I notice that Garmin makes a big deal out of telling you to clean those connections, which probably means they tend to get unclean very quickly and not work right. Would be great if there was just a simple mini-USB plug to go into the watch, like a camera uses, instead of that bulky clip. But, for now, the clip works fine for me and may never give any trouble, for all I know. Also, I have no idea how the watch will hold up over time.

For anyone who mostly needs just the basic information about their run or other activity and especially for anyone who has become frustrated with one of the touch-bezel models or with other Garmin watch operating systems, this watch could be just what you are looking for. BTW, there is also a Forerunner 110 that is very similar and $50 less but my understanding is that it only shows average pace, not current. That would not work for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great GPS Watch - Excellent size for Woman's Wrist, January 3, 2011
IHA (Arlington VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 210 GPS-Enabled Sport Watch with Heart Rate Monitor (Electronics)
Bought this watch as a gift for my wife. I've had the Garmin Forerunner 205 for 2.5 years and my wife had been interested in getting her own for some time. The thing that was holding her back was the size of the 205. It just didn't fit comfortably on her wrist. The 210 solves that problem with it's compact size and actually offers more features than the 205 (heart rate monitor and interval support). The 210 is so small I would actually consider is reasonable to wear around as a regular men's sport watch (unlike the 205 it is easy to display time as the primary screen rather than buried in a sub menu).

The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is the USB connector / recharging cable. The watch has 5 points on the back used for downloading data and charging and to connect it to the computer or power plug you have to use an odd proprietary clip that clamps down on the front and back of the watch. You have to be very careful to line up all 5 of the contact points otherwise charing won't work. I'm guessing they didn't use a standard mini-USB for reasons of water resistance, but the clip is not easy to connect to the device and it can slip off of the watch easily. My 205 has a cradle that the watch sits in, I'm not sure why Garmin went away from this approach, but the cradle is clearly preferable to the clip.

If you can get over the clip for charging I highly recommend this watch.

As a side note we also considered the Garmin 110, but did not purchase that because it doesn't offer real-time pace information. That was a deal breaker for me. If you are considering the 110 spend the few extra dollars for the 210. You won't be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great GPS watch, easy to use, easy to train/race with, January 26, 2011
After my IMTX training buddies finally convinced me to invest in a Garmin Forerunner, I decided to go with the 210. I did a lot of research and I liked the functionality and look of the 210, and went with that. I bought mine online at REI (had some gift cards) and it came with free standard shipping, and got here just in time for my race last weekend.

So it arrived on Sat and my race was on Sunday morning. It charged fully within a couple hours, and it took me only a few minutes to figure out and complete the initial set up. Another minute later and I had all the basic functionality figured out. On race day (sprint du), it found the satellites very quickly, less than a minute. The run portion was in a park, not on Google-able roads, and the 210 worked as well as I had hoped. It was easy to check my pace, my heartrate and distance without distracting me from the race. I love how it beeps every mile (you can change the default lap distance), but the beep is not too loud to be considered annoying.

I went for another 8mi run at the local park trails and did 3 loops (also a non-Google-able route), and it worked GREAT! Satellites were found in about 10sec. After the first loop, I stopped the 210 while I took a moment to de-layer (it was chilly but I warmed up quicker than I thought). Then re-started it again - no issues there. My pace was easy to track and the mileage seemed to be very accurate.

I connected the 210 to my computer when I got home - VERY easy to figure that out and install the necessary software. Within about 5min, I had connected and was able to see my run data, from the race and my training run.

Very good GPS watch, very fun and easy to use - highly recommend for anyone who wants to make running more fun, or who is as fascinated by data as I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovin' every minute of it, March 12, 2011
I recently bought the Forerunner 410 based on features and reviews. I absolutely hated it and returned it after 3 days. I wrote a separate review on the 410. I got the 210 and love the size for a woman's wrist. The GPS connects in a few seconds and the features are very easy to use. (With the 410 I ran a 5k with the instruction manual in my hand.) As others have said connecting it up to those 5 tiny contact points that you cannot see is a bit tricky, but it charges fast and I have been able to upload my data into the Garmin Connect website and MapMyRun with ease. I only wear it when I am running or biking and it goes to a power save mode when not in use. The watch lasted a week without running out of battery time. This is using GPS (while running) and running about 20-25 miles per week.

PROS:
Very simple to use
Good size for woman's wrist
Could use as a regular watch due to it's size
GPS connects fast
Power save mode
Has pace, distance, intervals, etc

CONS:
The battery contacts are tiny and tricky to get in place
Heart rate monitor strap seems very soft and pliable but cuts into my skin.

WISHES: Had vibration mode for intervals when wearing headphones

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good unless you want to replace it every year..., July 25, 2012
I have had two Garmin running watches now-they do really perform like the other reviewers state-the problem I have had is that both watches have "died" right before major races or training programs. The first watch lasted 1 1/2 years and I was told Garmin would take so long to repair it, I would need to fork over another $250 for a 210. It has now been about 10 months and that watch is doing the same thing-won't hold a charge, suddenly goes blank, and is not accurate on time and pace. I called Garmin and was advised if I run 5 days a week, I can only expect these watches to last about a year...I won't buy another Garmin, although they did offer to repair the watch if I mail it back and live without a watch for however long that takes them to do that. It is my understanding that the repairs will be at my own expense after it goes past one year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Forerunner 210 initial thoughts, October 21, 2011
Jesse Peterson (Cedar Rapids, IA USA) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased the Garmin Forerunner 210 running watch. I have been running about 17 miles a week since this spring and just completed a half marathon this past weekend. So I don't think that I am yet a running pro and therefore the Garmin Forerunner 210 appears to have met my needs. I really like the ability to map my running activity with the GPS function of the watch. I have been using an app on my smart phone to map my running, but the Garmin Forerunner 210 provides much greater resolution than the smart phone app I was using. Also, the watch is much more convenient than the smart phone app: it is lighter, the GPS function starts up faster, and being strapped to my wrist, I can easily glance at the watch to check my distance and pace.

The tracking display of the watch shows the current time, distance, and pace. There is no way to change the fields displayed as there are in some higher-end models, but these three fields are exactly what I am looking for given the type of running that I am currently doing. In fact, I credit the watch with allowing me to run a 1:44 half marathon last week because I was able to easily maintain my goal of an 8 minute pace by glancing from time to time at the watch (along with the 1 mile lap data that the watch was automatically capturing and displaying for me).

I have used the heart rate monitor in conjunction with the GPS mapping to track my heart rate. I haven't yet enhanced my workout to make more use of the data though. I have not yet used the foot pod to track distances indoors. But living in the northern Midwest, winter is approaching fast and I am sure that I will soon have the opportunity to try the foot pod.

The only problems that I have had so far are:

1. Some GPS tracks were off at the beginning of my run. The recorded GPS coordinates for the start of a run had me staring a block away. But the tracking corrected itself within about 100 yards of the start of the activity.

2. The clip to charge and upload data is very finicky. I sometimes have to try a couple attempts to get the pins of the clip to line up with the pads on the back of the watch. I have used other watches in the past that have some plastic "registration"-type protrusions that help ensure that the clip is lined up. This type of enhancement to the Garmin clip would be helpful.

The problems have been very minor and overall I am very satisfied with the Garmin Forerunner 210. I think that the functionality that it provides is appropriate for my current running activity level. I also like the size of the watch; it is a little bigger than a normal watch, but it can easily be used as an actual daily watch which is handy when traveling so that I don't have to take two different watches.

4.0 out of 5 stars Will Satisfy You Just as Much As Forerunner 610 Will, July 17, 2012
Thomas H. (Tennesse, USA) - See all my reviews
If you are trying to decide between this watch and the 610, go with the 210 instead and you will not regret it. I owned the 610 as my first ever GPS watch and sold it for nearly full price on eBay because I decided to put the money to a more noble cause. After going a few months without a GPS watch, I brought the 210 and wish I brought it in the first place. The 610 has more bells and whistles but in the end, if you just want to know how far and how fast, the 210 will not let you down.

MY FAVORITE FEATURES OF THE 210:
1. With the latest free firmware update (2.50 at the time of this review), a "lap timer" feature is added to the watch that allows you to see distance, average or instant pace, and current duration time for the lap you are on after you manually press the lap button or have it autolap. If you have a specific workout with varying lap times and distances, this will allow you to jump right into the run without spending minutes programming a customized interval session which is quicker than the one that is already set for specific time values and not as flexible as doing it manually. Being able to concentrate on specific lap data in real time is a huge plus. And to top it off, you can press the "page" button to switch to overall distance, time, and pace, and then switch back to the current lap seamlessly with a press of the "page" button again. With the 610, you could view all this information (current lap info and overall info) on one screen because it can hold 4 data fields at once. And that is really the only thing the 610 has over the 210 with the ease it allows users to view their information. I'll get the last advantage the 610 has over the 210 out the way with this: the 610 has "Virtual Partner" and "Virtual Racer" features that allow you to view 2 stick people on the screen (one is the current you, the other is the pace you have set on an old run you are "racing" or "pacing" against). These are cool features but not integral to a GPS watch; you can easily live without them, for I rarely used them on the 610.

2. Knowing my current pace is important to me, and the 210 allows you to choose between having instant pace, average pace, or lap pace while you run. For some odd reason, I thought you could only have "instant pace" and it took me awhile after playing with the watch's setting to realize that these different pace options were available. More customizability in a GPS watch means more pluses in my book.

3. Option to set the autolap feature for the predetermined distances you want (Miles or Kilometers): .25mi, .50mi, .75mi, 1.00mi, 1.25mi, 1.50mi, etc. If you would like to lap manually, you can easily turn the autolap feature off, or lap before the autolap feature laps.

4. Big display that's easy to read, has exceptionally bright backlight too and optional loud alert tones.

MY CONS FOR THE 210:

None

-YES I WOULD RECOMMEND THE FORERUNNER 210 TO A FRIEND

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes Dependable, June 18, 2011
Purchased the first Garmin Forerunner 210 on the advice of my fitness trainer. After ten uses indoors, I attempted to synch the watch with my PC. The wrist unit screen flashed bright blue and went dead. Since I was within days of the 30-day Amazon return policy, I hustled to return the Garmin. Amazon sent me an new replacement model quickly. I was thankful the 210 did not fail a week later.

I have had the replacement Forerunner 210 with premium heart monitor for six months. I have been using it both outdoors and indoors. It finds and locks on GPS very consistently. The Garmin Connect web site has been very helpful in tracking tracking and sharing information. After five months of use, the heart monitor failed to connect with the unit. I changed the battery in the heart monitor. To remove the cover, I was required to use a very small jewlery screw driver to release four very, very small screws. One of the screws began to strip, but I was able to remove the cover and change the battery. I'd love to know who what brain surgeon designed the battery cover. Very small jewlery screws??? Really???

The heart monitor worked for two weeks then began to fail even with the new battery. This time I replaced the battery again and the heart monitor failed to take a reading. I am on line now purchasing the basic heart monitor to replace the premium one that has failed. I note others have had issues with the premium monitor also, so I am not buying that one.

This is becoming an expensive investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, Solid, Simple - Highly recommended, July 3, 2011
My Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS went dark a month ago. And perhaps for the best - - the drag of the 1 pound brick around on my wrist was getting old. Here my recap of the 210 after 1 month in use:

1) Good Battery life. As advertised. 5-7 days with a single charge when using it 30-45 minutes per day. Certainly much much longer than the 305.

2) Lightweight. For those 305 owners like me, this watch is a dream.

3) Simple/Userfriendly. Simple to use. Simple to set. Simple to start and re-set.

4) Button design is good - unlike the 305 where I would inadvertent stop the timer or set off the lap timer - - that doesn't happen with this watch.

5) GPS connection is solid. Find my satellite connections to be speedy in contrast to the 305, which was spotty.

6) Can save your workouts to Garmin Connect - although I don't do it.

7) Re-charge connector is quirky - USB cable would have been preferred - - but it works.

8) Light weight watch band with simple sturdy clasp.

9) Tested distance and it was squarely on mileage.

10) Can wear watch to work-out and casually around day-to-day.

If you are looking for a great looking, light weight GPS watch to track time and distance, without all of the bells and whistles, you've found it here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really like it until it broke, March 10, 2011
This is my first GPS watch and my girlfriend gave it to me for Valentine's Day. I have to say that I loved it while it worked. It's a perfect size and has everything I need and nothing I don't. Controls are simple to use and the interface with Garminconnect works seamlessly. The pin-charging thing is no big deal, you just play it around with it until you see the Garmin logo come up on the display and look for the charging bar.

The only real downside I can see is that the band is molded onto the watch body rather than being pinned on like a Timex Ironman watch. At some point I know the band is going to break and there will be no way to replace it. But I'll be loving the watch until then...

EDIT: The watch failed after 18 months. Since it's out of warranty I am SOL unless I want to pay Garmin $90 for a factory serviced used version. I'll be trying the Garmin or the Motorola next instead of throwing good money after bad.

Rate and Discover Movies