4.0 out of 5 stars One year after
I have owned the Oregon 550T for a year now and I think I have used every of its most important features, accessories and software. My overall rating is that there is room for improvement, its accessories are very expensive but it is one of the top hiking GPS products compared to others. There is so much stuff that can be reviewed so I'll try to cover purchasing decision...
Published on August 29, 2010 by AP

3.0 out of 5 stars Great GPS but too many bugs needing fixed.
Received my Oregon 450T on April 2. Setup was very straight forward and within minutes I was downloading geochaches directly off the computer....way too cool not having to print pages, manually type coordinates etc. The touch screen is great, very similar to ipod or iphone and common sense oriented. Screen view quality is very good and don't understand other reviews on...
Published on April 7, 2010 by captain crunch

‹ Previous | 117 18 1956 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Second time around, December 6, 2013
This is the second time I've purchased this particular model for geocaching. I thought I wanted a larger screen but apparently I did not, not at the cost of additional weight and size. Having said that, this unit does everything this geocacher could want. The only negative is that I had to add the street maps (not a necessity for caching) on a micro card. The micro card slot is a challenge to seat correctly.

4.0 out of 5 stars saved me a lot of walking it worked great, November 22, 2013
Hunting. Worked great in the mountains of New York. I would recommend it to hunters hunting state land works great

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, November 22, 2013
Had to wait until we used this unit to tell you what we thought. I bought this for my husband for Christmas along with the Minnesota Lake of the Woods chip. (where we fish). Loved the unit, although it took some time getting used to it and all of its functions. Now my husband loves it!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars quite helpful when hiking and/or geocaching, November 19, 2013
S.E. Poza (Santa Clara, CA) - See all my reviews
First, a few small bad points. It's a little thick and heavy for my tastes. It's certainly not unmanageable, and I'm sure that the heft is there to keep it sturdy in case it is dropped as a handheld is so good for hiking. I'm also not a fan of the style of the belt hook as it flops around when you're not using it. However, you can remove the clip and there's a locking tab in it to make sure it stays put when you put it back on. Personally, I'm also not keen on SD card slots being installed with or under batteries. One of my digital cameras does this as well and I simply don't like having to remove the batteries or fuss with the casing every time I want to take the SD card out and put data on it.

On the plus side, it has a lot of memory. You can put a lot of maps on it. It also has a lot of memory and can get a fix in about a half minute. Even deep in a forest or in a hilly or mountainous area, it holds the signal pretty well. It's also easy to use the navigation features and you can customize them so that you can put the ones you use most often on the front screen. There's also a good compass and the arrows do a good job of pointing you in the right direction when you're hiking. The interface and touchscreen are reminiscent of using an iPad or iPod and it's fairly intuitive, at least for my relatively unsophisticated needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, November 19, 2013
This review is from: Garmin Oregon 450t Handheld GPS Navigator (Electronics)
EASY EASY EASY, everything is easy about this handheld. I like to wander when I'm in the woods, and I feel very confident that I can go where I want, and find my way back with no problems. I do recommend that you recalibrate the compass (EASY), after changing the batteries. Much longer battery life than my old GPS

5.0 out of 5 stars AA+, November 18, 2013
Great product, never leave home without it when hunting outdoors. Hint...buy the plastic screen protectors before taking it out for the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little GPS unit, touchscreen is nice and off axis screen view in very good., November 12, 2013
Kevin Crosby (Bartlett, TN United States) - See all my reviews
I love track navigation and this unit has the recent improvements in track navigation. One advantage of this new track navigation feature is that, unlike typical back-country route navigation, you’ll get an estimate of actual trail distance rather than “as the crow flies” mileage. To use it, select a track to navigate and a route will be created. Waypoints are created for the high and low elevation points and any user waypoints along the track are added. If heading out on a trail you've never done before, simply do a search online for tracks (such as .gpx, gps, trail name, and park name) and load the track to the device.

I opted for the standard version, not the "t" model which has 1:100,000 scale topo maps of the US pre-loaded. My reason? There are better quality 1:24,000 scale topo maps available for free for most states.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hunting perfection!, November 11, 2013
We purchased this GPS unit to help us while hunting in areas where BLM is mixed with private lands. With the additional software we purchased with the BLM maps, this unit was a lifesaver! It was very easy to use. We marked several spots that we wanted to find again later and the GPS took us right there when we were ready. It is a nice comfortable size that is easy to stash in a jacket or pants pocket while you are walking. We took a few pictures with it and they look really nice. I would recommend this unit to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars 23 Year Military Veteran; been there, done that! Absolutely Magnificent GPS Unit!!, November 7, 2013
This review is from: Garmin Oregon 450t Handheld GPS Navigator (Electronics)
Absolutely Magnificent. 23 year Military Veteran been there, done that! Have had several civilian GPS units and this one will do anything you need it too. For you "serious" users the included 100K TOPO is not worth the extra cost; get the standard 450.

5.0 out of 5 stars Took some time to catch on but more than satisfied., September 28, 2013
Plenty of options, maybe too many. Happy that previous waypoints easily downloaded to this unit. Struggled with the concept of routable maps. Still trying to figure out its logic for routing.

‹ Previous | 117 18 1956 | Next ›