Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Edition: Preloaded Topographic Maps|Change
Price:$449.00 - $599.00

on November 15, 2013
I bought this a while ago to use on 4 wheeling trips. I wanted to track the different roads we went on. Then come back home and see the routes we took. I have to say it works great. I can come back, save the routes, print out my own maps and even see the routes on Google Earth.

We've even tried a little geocaching. That's pretty neat and you never know what you are going to find. It's a really cool gadget and I would really recommend one if you'd like to track your hiking, snowmobile or 4 wheeler trails.
on October 8, 2014
Rugged, reasonably intuitive to use, very convenient with the touch screen, excellent back light, decent battery life. Add a RAM mount for your ATV or boat and your good to go as far as your gas will take you. Note that it also accepts the Garmin Minnesota LakeMaster map chip.
on July 16, 2013
Researched alot of GPS devices in this price range and this is by far the best one. The person using this is not a techie and felt that it was relatively easy to set-up and learn. The battery life could be longer and in order to have it on continuously in the car for a trip, we purchased the (optional) DC adaptor. The screen is fairly large and the color/resolution very clear.
on November 30, 2012
I am using this product for last 7 months and now I thought I would write a review after returning from a short trip in France. I loaded map for France before going there and I tried to switch-on the device after reaching France(inside airport) and it couldn't get the signal, but when I came out of airport, the GPS locked with the satellite in 5 minuites and I got the current location in the map. It is really helpful when you need it, except tunnels or metro rail.
The reason for 4 star is the firmtware is really bad. If you try to zoom in/out the map a little more, it takes forever. Probably resetting to factory setting make it better, but you loose the waypoints. There are number of other firmware problem as well, like hanging a couple of time(need to take out battery for a hard-reset etc.). But reception-wise it is good, but I don't know if WAAS is really helpful or not, bacause you need to seat for really long time at a place to get the high accuracy.
But main point is that it has got fast lock time even if you move other part of the world and you can use it when extreme condition.
on December 8, 2013
This is my 2nd GPS receiver. It was an excellent upgrade from my previous unit. I've owned this for a few years.

Battery life: Compared to my 1st unit, this excelled. There is a battery display on the main screen. I've used Energizer Lithiums and it was amazing. I've noticed that when the battery power gets low, the unit can lock up, freeze, or display will fade to freezing or shutting down. This is especially true for rechargeable batteries with 1 bar or less of power remaining.

Functionality: It's all touchscreen. There are settings options to change the way the screen looks. I've used the camera option and it's good for a nonmoving objects. The unit will save the location with the picture, so you can navigate back to the picture. I use this unit mainly for navigation and marking points. This unit gives turn notifications through beeps and not voices. One disadvantage, and others have complained as well, is the screen brightness. In direct sunlight, it's pretty useless. At night, it's great.

GPS acquisition time seems to be fast enough for my needs. I would estimate no more than 2 minutes is needed. As long as you're not in a hurry, the time should be fast enough.

Maps: The unit comes preloaded with a basemap in memory. The basemap only has the major roads. There is an internal slot behind the batteries for a microSD card. I know 4gb will work. Stores and websites offer more detailed maps to buy. Online research can reveal other ways. I've never had a Garmin detailed map without a road that I was looking for. A little creativity is needed sometimes while searching for places. The maps are updated several times a year.

Software: Mapsource and Basecamp are the 2 Garmin programs used to manipulate waypoints (points marked). Basecamp is newer and can download the maps stored on the microSD card and waypoints all at once. Basecamp damaged some of my waypoint files. I use Mapsource along with Google and other maps. I use it to edit waypoints and tracks and save back to the unit. Communication to the unit is achieved by USB at the bottom. You can also download software to update the firmware and internal GPS software.

I thought about buying another receiver, but I'll wait. I dropped it and the On/Off/Lockscreen/Screen Capture button cover at top right tore but still works. As long as the maps are still supported, I'll keep using this.
on December 15, 2011
I wish I bought one of these sooner for hiking and travel to Asia. I like all the maps available which keeps me from getting lost. AA ni-cad batteries last about 6-7 hours if used conservatively. 3-4 with constant use. I always bring 2 extra sets with me. The touchscreen interface isn't quite as intuitive as some of the Smartphones but still useable. Synchronization with the software applications work very well. It sometimes shows the slight inaccuracies with tracks on maps. Default map is sparse. Optional city maps show places to eat and other useful resources. The small size is easy to put in a back pack. It's kind of bulky for jean pockets.
on April 9, 2015
Touch screen is not very accurate. Base map loaded onto it has no hiking trails and even the map garmin offers for $100 is pretty weak. I use it to find my way back to "Point A" and it works good for that, but as far and navigating you through trails, no.
on June 18, 2013
I've only had this for a little over a week, so, I cannot rate it at 5 stars. I will say that it only took two-days for the GPS to get to me, which is fantastic. I purchased this GPS specifically for geocaching, to replace my Garmin Vista. That being said, much of my review is based on the the use of the GPS for geocaching. This has a nice larger screen and is a touch screen. It has Whereigo (new geocaching option) pre-loaded and it does paperless geocaches (all information is loaded on the GPS).

Most of the reviews were based on the 450T product; I did not get the 450T b/c I didn't want to pay for the topo maps, nor did I want to get the upgraded 550T with the camera. I was going, more or less, bare bones on this one. Relative to my past GPSs, this unit seems to acquire satellites much faster; on the order of just a few seconds. The accuracy seems to be on par with my previous units, but the interface is much more user friendly. Switching from screen-to-screen is also much easier. So far, I'm very pleased with this unit. More info to come as I use this more.
on August 29, 2013
Quite the upgrade over my last GPS - very intuitive and easy to use for off-trail navigation for hiking, camping and hunting. Learned the hard way to handle it gently, especially the touch screen. Had to send it in to Garmin for a refurbished replacement after my first time out with it. Working great now, with a protective case.
on September 12, 2013
I AM AN AVID LAND NAV / GOE CACHE KIND OF GUY. i HAVE HAD SEVERAL HIGH END GPS, BUT THIS IS BY FAR THE EASIEST AND MOST ACCURATE FOR THE MONEY.