2,928 Reviews
 (1,531)

1,047 of 1,083 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin's nuvi 1450LMT is Outstanding
Researching GPS devices was and is worse than buying a car with all the different product offerings and features plus none of the model numbering seems to make sense which was even more frustrating. You can't tell a low end unit from a high end unit. Garmin is no different either.

Through all of that I am very pleased that I settled on the Garmin 1450. IMO...
Published on October 24, 2010 by J.B.

2.0 out of 5 stars Many bells and whistles, but poor "touch" screen and routing
Published on November 22, 2010 by D. Schultz

1,047 of 1,083 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin's nuvi 1450LMT is Outstanding, October 24, 2010
J.B. (Carlsbad, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 1450LMT 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

Through all of that I am very pleased that I settled on the Garmin 1450. IMO Garmin has made a wonderful device. The UI is very intuitive and very easy to operate even with my big hands. The touch screen is very accurate and responsive. From power up to satelite acquisiiton takes seconds. The turn by turn instructions are very clear but a bit too chatty. We have found the street name pronunciations fairly entertaining. The points of interest have been pretty accurate as has the gas station mapping and the hospitals and such. The bread and butter of a GPS is really whether it can get you where you need to go especially if you as the operator have no idea. I have travelled outside my area of familiarity a few times now and this GPS receiver has been flawless. The screen size is very nice and easy to read while driving.

This unit I purchased has liftime maps and traffic. So the first thing I did was register the unit and update the maps. The web site is pretty easy to navigate on. The map update was simple but just expect it to take awhile. The traffic portion seems to work however to date it has not offered any alternate routes so I can't judge its effectiveness. Nor have I tried the blutooth functionality.

This unit comes with everything you need so unless you want extra power cords or something there is no need for anything extra. The window suction cup works well. The unit fell once but I found I did not seat the suction cup very well. They do have a weighted mount that sits on the dashboard which would be better if you have a co-pilot and you need to look for alternate addresses or something. I found putting the unit in the middle of the window creates an annoyingly large blind spot. So I now put it to the left of the steering wheel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Registration Tips, March 29, 2011
Just received my 1450LMT so I will post more details later about its performance but I wanted to share some install/update/registration tips based on my experience today. I had to call Garmin customer service and based on their help, I would think Garmin would want to include the following tips in the box since the customer service rep said this is a common problem:

1. Before you plug in the GPS into your computer, go online and create a user name at [...]
2. Once you have setup your initial username, DO NOT click on "Register" - instead, close out of all internet browser windows.
3. Plug in your GPS into your computer without any internet browser windows open.
4. Now open Internet Explorer (it runs better on this then Chrome, etc.)
5. Go to "[...]"
6. Login with your new user name
7. Click on "register" and you should be good to go.

I made the mistake of having a web browser already open when I plugged in the unit and the unit would always get caught in a loop of looking for the registration information and never connect. However, once I followed the above instructions, I had no problems. These instructions may be somewhere in the box but I could not find them so I thought I would share them and hopefully save others some frustration. Cheers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my new Garmin, November 21, 2010
Garmin has a wide variety of models, which is a mixed blessing. You can probably find what model you want, but finding it takes a bit of effort. I decided Lifetime Map and Traffic updates made sense for the long haul - this model has it. I also bought the 5" display since I can see it better on the dash. Love the new features compared to my 3 year old Garmin, such as Lane Assist, Junction View, my speed displayed, speed limit displayed. Would have liked a case included.

Only complaint is that it is a bit tricky to disengage from the window holder while it is suctioned to the window. Garmin's tech support via email, was outstanding, with their response to a few of my start up questions. Recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Many bells and whistles, but poor "touch" screen and routing, November 22, 2010
After using a hand-held unit for 10 years and watching the apparent progress of the mobile units, I had high expectations for my first mobile GPS. First, the positives: I liked the idea of map updates being included. the 5" screen was easy to read. The spoken street names and lane change assistance were accurate and very helpful. I found myself referring to the little speed limit sign on the map screen more than I expected. The initial software setup and map update was painless, but time-consuming.

I used it for a couple weeks before deciding that it just wasn't worth the money. For example, the extra money does not buy you a better POI database: at least 5 of the 40 or so restaurants it listed near my house have been out of business for years, in one case about 4 years.

Planning a route using "via points" is cumbersome and hit and miss. The most obvious "via points" to use are intersections along your route, but when you do that, the software invariably directs you to exit at the intersection and perform maneuvers for a few minutes before getting back on your intended route. At one intersection, it routed me off the highway, 2 miles south, U-turn, then 2 miles north back onto my route. At a cloverleaf interchange, it routed me through every exit and entrance ramp at the interchange before resuming my route. It's comical unless you're in a totally unfamiliar area.

The FM traffic feature is also a mixed bag. It seemed to be fairly accurate when it was working, but sometimes the automatic re-routing was so convoluted that it could not possibly have saved time. Also, when you start up the Traffic feature in a new city, it takes 10-15 minutes to update itself. So, on a recent trip, the traffic feature didn't kick in until 10 minutes after I left the DFW airport in my rental car, at which time it correctly informed me that I was in the middle of a traffic jam.

"Touch" screen is an exaggeration, but I suppose the Garmin marketing guys were opposed to calling it a "mash-your-finger-into-it" screen. The QWERTY keyboard screen had an intermittent dead spot in the vicinity of the "N" and "M" where, sometimes, no amount of touching/pressing/mashing would get a response. One of my biggest complaints during my de facto trial period was that you could not pan/scroll the map screen. I eventually realized I was just not pressing hard enough. Several re-calibrations didn't seem to have any effect.

I've read of other Garmin touch screen issues (gpsreview.net, et al), so this might be a recurring problem. At a minimum, it means poor quality control. I returned mine to Amazon for a full refund. I haven't bought a replacement yet. I'm considering whether all the bells n whistles n lifetime updates are worth the significant extra cost when the hardware, POI database, and basic routing functions still seem a little beta.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid product, November 14, 2010
The first unit shipped died in less than a week, but Amazon was excellect in arrangeing to replace it. The new one works fine. I noted that it had a much higher serial number and slightly different packaging. My conclusion is that Amazon had some early production run units in the inventory that should be sent back to Garmin.

Anyway, prior to this I had some experience with a older TomTom. Both are fine on the basics. The pluses for me on this unit is the larger screen, abiliity to use GPS co-rdinates or a street intersection as a destination and POI's. The former is especially useful for locating trailheads at the end of dirt roads or other locations not having a formal address.

Biggest limitations I've found probably relate to third pard data: A- the map database (I recently could not add an adress for a newly constructed museum in the area. I think that the address just diddn't exist in the data base. I used the nearest intersection instead.) B- The Garmin unit's "real time" traffic service is only as good as the data broadcast by NAVTEC. (In the Phoenix area for example, it seems like it takes quite a while for delays appear on the screen and a while for them to disappear after the delay has been cleared. Also the severity delay's are substantially underestimated.) All this means that the driver should not be afraid to override the route shown if it conflicts with personal experience. Also note that the program rarely if ever suggests U-turns which can result in some silly routes; however if you know a U-turn is the best solution, the re-calc time is very quick. In short the features work best if you think mof it as one more information source rather than a voice that must be obeyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying my Garmin nuvi 1450LMT, December 10, 2010
I needed to update maps on an older Magellan GPS I received as a gift and when I found out how much updates cost I started looking closer at newer GPS' with lifetime maps. I first purchased a 5" TomTom XXL540LMT because of price but had so much trouble trying to download updated maps with help from TT Customer Service. After 5 hrs and 5 techs they said it was a defective product and return it. So I returned it but decided to try another that had caught my eye.

The Garmin nuvi's had much better ratings. I picked out Garmin nuvi 1450LMT (we travel across country once a year) and started having the same trouble updating but the Customer Service at Garmin handed my call over to a higher up Computer Tech and she had me do a few things that within 45 minutes I was downloading updates with no problems. Because of their expertise and product features I think I will stick with Garmin from now on. Only drawback with this particular model is that it lets me know how much gas I am using when I go anywhere, if I care to look. Hahaha, I better stop looking.

Easy to use, looks great, keeps track of trips, has lots of great features. Can be updated every 3 months but probably will only update once a year. Very satisfied with my purchase and Garmin Customer Service.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Great, BUT...., November 26, 2010
This Garmin 1450LMT (Lifetime Maps and Traffic) is a very nice GPS but it does have some draw-backs. I have used Garmin for years and have been satisfied with them if you can overlook some of their problems. One of the problems is that although you get lifetime traffic if in a covered area, you also get lifetime advertisements in a covered area. They pop up and eventually go away but they are annoying to the max. The only way to get rid of the ads is to disconnect the traffic receiver which defeats its purpose. To just make them disappear from the screen quickly, you have to touch the back arrow and go to the main screen and then select View Map again. The second problem is that if you decide you want to Update your Maps because its free, you had better be on a very fast internet connection. I am on a T-1 line (fastest and costliest) line around and it took 4 hours to update my maps. And whatever you do, don't interrupt the process or you will have a display that is total trash. Then there is the added feature of inserting a Micro SD card. Sounds great but listen up. You can add pictures to your Favorites as an added feature. You can have pictures (jpegs @ jpgs) on the card and you can see them with the Picture Viewer feature and you can add those pictures to your Favorites. HOWEVER. Once you turn the GPS off, those pictures are removed from your Favorites. You can still see them with the Picture Viewer, but in order to have the pictures attached to Your Favorites, you have to connect the GPS to the computer and save those pictures to the GPS INTERNAL memory folder called pictures. Seems that it will not go back to the external Micro SD card to pick up those pictures after Turn Off. Then there is the Language problem. If you select American English, you get clear and concise commands to "Turn Left", "Turn Right" etc. If you want the voice to tell you not only when or where to turn but to tell you what to turn onto ( so and so street) you have to select American English -Jill. These may be nit picky things but you would think that at some point all of these small things would be incorporated into a fully loaded unit. As far as use is concerned, it is simple and frustrating. Simple in that you can tell it where you want to go, but it may take you there in a way you never wanted. Although you can select "Shortest Route or Fastest Route", don't be surprised if you get to see a portion of the country side you have never seen. It will get you there eventually but to be safe always carry a paper map. Garmin is still the best GPS on the market but just once it would be nice to have a product that has everything in one package. Enjoy but don't expect everything to be perfect.
Isaac

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, December 19, 2010
These are my first impressions on the Garmin 1450LMT as I've only owned this unit for about 1 week. This is my 3rd Garmin GPS unit/ The first was the IQue 3600 followed by the Nuvi 750. Most of my comments would be in comparison to my 750 which I use with Microsoft's MSN Direct (traffic service).

I've had my Nuvi 750 for a few years and came across the 1450 LMT for a good price so I thought I would upgrade to a new one. Features on the 1450 I wanted to have were the 5-inch screen, lane assist and junction view. All three features were a welcome upgrade to my 750. The 5 inch screen does wonders for readability. Lane assist is a big help in unfamiliar areas together with Junction View (even if available only sporadically, is a neat feature to have).

Compared to my 750, this one locks on to the satellites in less than half the time in first time power up. In re-starts, locking on the satellites was almost immediate.

The few things I did not care for are the following:
- Non powered mount. Now I need to use 2 hands to remove the unit from my dash. Big inconvenience if you are used to this feature.
- Advertisements for Traffic service. These are quite annoying (although quite easy to ignore), considering I never had them in my MSN Direct service.
- Traffic user interface needs 2 steps to get the traffic delay information. They should look at what MSN has done.
- Random restarts. Happened 4 times total in the week I've owned it. Twice when switching back from displaying "more information" and twice during a 4 hour trip (the unit just turned off by itself).
- I miss the added features of MSN Direct (Fuel Prices, Movie Info, Weather, etc.) that Traffic does not provide.
- Big bulky power adapter
- Recalculation time appears a tad slower vs. the 750.
- Big difference in brightness between 10% and 0% in Night Display mode. Too much brightness/glare in 10% setting while the 0% setting is too dark.

Not really blown away by this unit since there are features I love about my 750 that are not even available with the 1450. I'll continue using it and add some more comments later.

_________________________________

I've used this unit on 2 trips to Chicago over the past few weeks and had the following additional observations:
- Recalculations are definitely slower vs. my old 750
- I registered my unit and updated the maps but I still have observed 1 random reset during a 3 hour drive stretch. I was hoping this problem would go away after doing a map update. Not yet a problem for me but it's definitely annoying.
- I don't understand why the return button is STILL positioned at the bottom left corner, the same spot as the "cancel routing" button at the base page. This makes it very easy to inadvertently canceling your routing. BTW this set-up is similar to the old 750.

2nd Update:

The random resets have been happening every other time I use the unit which is becoming a nuisance. I noticed that the resets would only happen when I am following a route. I never observed a reset when the unit was just turned on.

I was just about ready to call customer service regarding the random resets but I remembered to check if there is a software update for my unit, and yes there was. I performed the software update (and a map update as well). I am happy to report that since the software/map updates I have not observed a reset at all (knock on wood)! Hopefully this version of software have taken care of the problem.

Note too that I've noticed locking on to satellites a lot quicker now than before. Recalculations are quicker as well. Not having a powered mount still bugs me but I'm getting used to it. The unit is getting better, and liking it much better than my 750.

3rd and last update

I did a Map Update about a month ago just before I was going on a trip and to my surprise it said the updated maps will not fit in the unit's memory and that I should delete some of the map coverage area so it will fit the available memory. I thought that was dumb that I have essentially a one year old unit that did not have enough memory to fit US and Canada maps. Since I bought a micro SD card Asian Map for an upcoming trip, I did not want to install any part of the US/Canada map on the external card. I decided to remove the maps for middle Canada instead, where I do not plan to do any driving in the near future.

This is quite disappointing as the unit was most likely designed and delivered with marginal amount of memory to reduce the cost. Also, random restarts have also come back on a somewhat regular basis.

BTW, this unit was stolen during my Asian trip (therefore my last update) and have been replaced by a much better Nuvi 2460. Just wrote a short review on it, please check it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing gps, December 9, 2010
This garmin is amazing. I have had no problems with it since I bought it on black friday of 2010. The only thing that happened is the traffic feature stopped working on the unit but only because there was an outage in all areas and no one was receiving traffic info at all. Once it was fixed (was down for 4-5 days) the traffic feature has worked perfectly and has even saved me from getting to work late! The size of the screen is amazing that lets you see alot of stuff and the features are awesome and the unit gets reception super fast (within seconds). This is an excellent purchase for this price. Elsewhere this unit goes for close to 300. Do not think twice about this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value for the money, March 5, 2011
Allen Cain (Brentwood, TN USA) - See all my reviews
I have been a Garmin fan for some time. Recently I purchased several of these for my company service vans. The technicians love them.

These particular units have several nice features added that make them really useful. The Lane Assist advises you which lane to be in (and which not to be in) when approaching an intersection. This puts you in the right lane to avoid having to make a sudden lane change on a busy interstate/expressway. The addition of the speed limit AND your actual speed to the display has saved us several traffic tickets as the speed displayed is MUCH more accurate than our vans' speedometers AND the speed limit displayed is amazing accurate although not available for all secondary roads.

Another nice feature is the addition of the "where am I" feature. Push this and you get your current location which helps if you are needing additional help over the phone.

The traffic alert feature has not been real useful. I have no idea how this works but suspect that it is dependent on some local system to upload traffic conditions which may not be activated in our area. Probably more useful in more metropolitan areas.

Overall an excellent value for the money and really loaded with features.

Rate and Discover Movies