4,977 Reviews
 (3,048)
 (1,029)

1,238 of 1,278 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy upgrade
I upgraded from a Nuvi 205w, which Ive had for 3 years. The 205w has sure gotten a work out, I work for a large cable company, so I drive all day and the 205w has never failed me as it navigates 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for the past 3 years. The battery is at the end of its life as it holds a charge for a bit over an hour and the maps are outdated. As prices of GPS...
Published on December 18, 2011 by Brian E. Toney

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid 3 stars... could be an easy 4-5 star with improvements
I'll keep this short. My first gps was a TomTom, it was ok, but broke after about 2yrs. So I decided to "upgrade" to a bigger screen and lifetime maps after getting tired of using my Android phone. I'll just list what I like and dislike.

LIKE:
-nice screen
-clear voice
-freeway lane indicator (actually works well!)
-quickly locks onto...
Published on May 3, 2012 by Steve Alvarado

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad satellite connection, August 20, 2012
Thomas Farrell "irish02144" (Massachusetts, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 50LM 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps (US) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I purchased another model of GPS, the unit I got was defective (absolutely did not function) so I returned it and got a Garmin Nuvi 50 instead because I've always had excellent experience with Garmin products in the past.

The device is attractive, the windshield mount works remarkably well, the user interface is pleasant, etc... no problems with the physical features.

I put it in the car, turned it on, ignored it for a while as I drove around my neighborhood doing other stuff, and eventually had it take me to visit a friend way off in the countryside. It got me there. When I was ready to go home, it didn't want to find the satellites. After about 20 minutes of waiting for it to find the satellites I gave up and put my phone on the dashboard for it to navigate me home... the phone locked onto the satellites immediately. The GPS found the satellites about 10 minutes later and started giving me guidance again. If I had not had the phone with me, I would have had serious panic about not being able to find my way home.

The next morning I tried again to use the Nuvi 50 to go somewhere. This time it took about 5 minutes to find the satellites, but a few seconds later it lost them again. Then it found them again. Then it lost them again. I left it on as I drove to the store to return it, and it lost and found the satellites 4 or 5 times en route. This was on a day with clear blue skies, on open highway... there is no reason it should not have been able to find and stay locked onto the satellites.

I was very pleased to get my money back for this device, and can't recommend it to anyone. I haven't figured out what I'm getting instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars No battery life, VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, August 21, 2012
Purchased several months ago. Have had several garmin gps previously. Operation quality is about what you would expect. After a some use, could not get the battery to charge. Tried all the suggestions. Still nothing. Contacted garmin customer support several times, nothing. Was suprised to see many bad reviews on internet. This is the standard for garmin, very bad. Need for my work but unwilling to spend more money when it is still under warrantee. WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST USING ANOTHER BRAND.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first gps navigator and I LOVE it!, July 10, 2012
I did a lot of research before I bought. This is my first gps navigator. I decided against the comparable TomTom unit because reviewers stated that the TomTom screen wasn't as bright as they'd like and was particularly difficult to see in bright daylight. Reviewers also said that the TomTom audio volume was not loud enough to always hear clearly even at max. My thinking was... when I'm driving down the highway, the number one thing I need from a gps unit (besides accuracy) is to be able to hear it clearly and see the screen clearly... else what good is it to me? If I can't see and hear it clearly, I may be distracted from focusing on my driving and the more distractions the less safe is one's driving and who wants to have to pull over to see/hear the dang gps? Reviewers of the Garmin Nuvi 50 generally said the screen was large enough and bright enough and the audio was plenty loud enough even when the volume was not at highest setting. When I read reviews comparing the 5" screen to even slightly smaller screens, the 5" won out being large enough to accommodate a nice sized view of the map, as well as written content in top, bottom, or side margins.

I find the Nuvi simple, easy, and pretty intuitive to use. It is plenty loud...I never have it on the max setting. It is plenty easy to see on the dash, even in bright sunlight. I like the 3-D style map. I like that it shows the speed limit and the speed I am going.

It does a good job of getting me where I want to go, which is the whole point, of course. Now, I have read reviews where people complain that it doesn't always take the "best" route as judged by an individual familiar with the city/town. Well, people, it's a machine, not a person. It gets me from A to B, mostly on main roads, when B is in unfamiliar territory and that's good enough for me. If I then become familiar with the area and find a short cut to B, fine, but I don't blame the Garmin for not taking me on side roads and back alleys to start with. Frankly, in an unfamiliar city, I would not want the Garmin to route me through side roads, strange neighborhoods, and far off the beaten path, even if it were the shortest route. In some places that would be not even be safe.

Oh, and I wouldn't get any navigator device without the lifetime map updates. It just makes sense.

I love my Garmin. It's a pleasure to use. In fact, my husband bought a cheaper Magellan for a project where he needs the gps coordinates. It actually gets him where he wants to go, but when he checks the coordinates, they are incorrect. Go figure that. The coordinates on my Garmin, however, are spot on. Soooo today he just ordered a Garmin Nuvi like mine. :o)

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work properly, July 30, 2012
Joseph R. Colletta (RACINE, WISCONSIN, US) - See all my reviews
Screen kept going bank and then reboot itself and the road kept disappearing. Tried contacting Garmin but could never get through. Web site is terrible. Did not want an exchange just a refund.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good until the maps stopped working (after 3 months), December 4, 2012
I would have previously said this was a good GPS, but after about 3 months of moderate use it will not boot up. I emailed Garmin, and got a reply which said in part "We've discovered a problem with the nuvi 30, 40, and 50 products that in some cases will prevent them from booting up successfully. A software fix has been released that will resolve this issue, please follow the steps below..."
After trying for about an hour I was not able to update the software and the unit is still frozen. Additionally, while they say it comes with a one year warranty, when I tried to fill out the form online to get a return authorization I got this message "At this time, we are unable to process online service requests for this product"
So, I called garmin and was put on hold for 25 minutes and gave up, and that's when I decided to write this honest review of my experience.
Update: I finally got a return authorization from garmin after 3 emails. I have to send them the broken unit and they are going to send out a refurbished one. I just wish it did not take countless hours to resolve this.
I would go for another product or brand next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars *IMPORTANT* - $80 at WalMart!, October 25, 2012
I've just unboxed it and there's no comparison to my old GPS unit. This has gotten a signal immediately on startup, which was very fast as well. Entering my favorites was fast and easy. I got it updated easily as well, although unlike a lot of people I don't know what the obsession is with having up to the minute maps. God knows California never builds any new highways ;-)

The screen is much higher res than my previous units. Some people complained about not being able to fully update their maps with the included memory card. I deleted all the unneeded voices like Cantonese and whatnot, there were many, and had plenty of room to spare. Enough to download some Australian and English accented voices and some custom car icons. Why not?

I bought this for $80 shipped at Wal Mart as a refurb. Rumor has it's not actually a refurb, but shipped as such to workaround some kind of pricing agreement. It has a one year warranty, which is fine for me. I take zero care with mine and croak them regularly, so I buy them cheap and if I get more than a year it's a bonus. I kept waiting for my old one to die, piece of junk, but it held on forever. I saw this one and finally had an excuse to upgrade. I started buying these things when they were on sale for $300 back in the day, and now I hate to pay more than $50 because I kill them, but I thought this unit was worth the extra scratch due to screen size and all the favorable reviews. I live in LA, and traffic would have been nice, but there's no way it can be much more than a broad indicator of trends, so not useless but not a requirement either. I have google maps on my cell phone if I need to check traffic, and that's free. I may not know what I'm missing, though, so by the next time I buy one of these I'm sure it'll be standard.

I think you'd have to be nuts to spend $350 on one of the latest models. This thing boots and locks in satellites so fast, it can't get much faster. Bluetooth? For what? To make really annoying speaker-phone phone calls? Voice command, I call bull that's worth the hassle. Who uses that feature more than a few weeks when they get it on their cell phone? I'll update after I get some use in. Be a McFrugal. Buy this at WalMart. :-)

UPDATE I've tried it a few times now, and as I said the antenna is amazing. The time for cold start to satellites located and ready to navigate? Around 15 seconds with clear skies. If I start it up when I start my car, it's booted to the where to? screen before I've even got my cell phone hooked up to the stereo. It doesn't get a signal in my garage(it is underground, after all) but its acquired one by the time the electric gate has finished opening to the street. I can't wait to properly dispose of my old GPS in an appropriately extravagant way.
10/30
edit still happy , still amazed at the speed! I'm mailing my old gps off to Arizona for some YouTube guys to shoot and blow up! its called we shoot your stuff. I'll post when/if they do it!

11/20
Edit-ive neglected to smash my old unit. I need to handle that! I'm still satisfied with the GPS. I type in an address and it has satellite lock before the gate lifts. Maaybe a touch after, but still, its great. The $10 dash mount sandbag thingy works great too. I got it at Walmart online too. It does make it easier to see out the windshield and doesn't slide as I figured.

4.0 out of 5 stars An improved Garmin comparing to the older model. Touch screen lags sometimes, December 12, 2011
I own Garmin 265 and it has been great. I purchased this one while it's on sale for my girl friend.

Couple things I like:
- 5" screen. It is easier to see the detail on on the GPS. Saves me perhaps half a second looking at the GPS while driving.
- QWERTY keyboard. Even though I am used to the old alphabetical keyboard, it's just so much convenient and natural for me to type on QWERTY keyboard. Which I believe applies to most people.
- Lane assist. I drive in a relatively rural area so it doesn't help much. But when I go to Florida, or urban area that I am not familiar with, it help A LOT,
- Speed limit indicator. Even though some places it does not show, or does not show the correct speed limit. Generally speaking, it is accurate. If you are speeding, your MPH will turn red, to let you know that you went over speed limit.
- Zip code option for entering the city. Rather than typing the whole city name to search through the whole database. A simple 5 digit zip code will be able to pick up the city of your destination.

Couple things I don't like.
- 5" screen. It's big enough to actually block some view sometimes.
- Keyboard lag. Sometimes you thought you don't press hard enough so the letter doesn't show by press multiple times, turns out to be a lag. Then you need to erase the duplicates, and it lags again so you erase too many characters. This did no happen even in 265, not sure why newer model has this issue?

Other than above things I don't like. It's a great GPS.

1.0 out of 5 stars AC Adapter Fries the Nuvi 50LM, May 21, 2012
Purchased two Nuvi 50LM for our volunteer fire station. Our trucks don't have a DC charger (cigar lighter) so we have to keep units plugged into AC adapters all the time so they are ready to go for fire calls. We purchased two AC adapters from Garmin. At first the units just persist in turning themselves on; turn them off and they turn back on again. I should mention that we did a software update and loaded current maps. Not wanting the screens to burn in, we kept turning units off. Eventually, units displayed aberrant behavior. They either came up with a blank screen that wouldn't turn off until unplugged from AC or they come up with unit demo, or the End User License, or press the dot or not at all. While displaying "End User" screen the unit says "please follow route" message. So what route is that? Units keep getting progressively worse. Now, sometimes they can't be turned on, even when off AC chargers. After re-plugging they do turn on to a blank screen or or one of the other screens. Also, even though plugged into AC overnight, charge is sometimes displayed at 50% In any event, e-mailed Garmin and after several rounds were asked to send units in for replacement. Replacement came a few days ago. Voila, same problems persist. Problem only seems to occurs with using the AC chargers. This problem has now occurred with 4 separate Nuvi 50 units, so all i can conclude is that it is some kind of problem unique to this model. We have two other personal Garmin units that do not act in this way. i sent garmin support another e-mail and am waiting to see what happens.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 thumbs WAY up!, December 2, 2011
What a great 5 inch GPS this is... I bought it for under $100, and at that price, you can not beat the quality of this unit. If you don't care about traffic updates (because you should be watching the road in front of you anyway)this is the unit for you. I had a Garmin 255w before this, and this one has a better touch screen, better response to the satellites, and looks very clean.

The only gripe I have is that it didn't come with the little "dash mount disc". I could have used that in my Jeep Patriot for sure.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nuvi 50LM POIs show up only as Dots, March 25, 2012
Craig Roepke (Pleasant Prairie, WI United States) - See all my reviews
All favorites show up as black dots, not the symbol that you entered in. If you look at the Favorite details, the symbol shows up.
Furthermore Garmin knows this to be an issue and states:

"This is a known issue and unfortunately I do not have a timeframe on when an update is going to come out to correct this issue. I would suggest checking for updates periodically to see if there has been a correction in this matter. Please follow these instructions to perform that software update"

It suggests that we should just wait and check all the time to see if they have decided to fix their product.

Very disappointed.