5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent heart rate monitor
Published on July 21, 2009 by Stephen M. Charme

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for 2 months,
Published on September 7, 2010 by Bjarne Haug

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent heart rate monitor, July 21, 2009
I have used this with my Garmin Forerunner 305, Forerunner 50, and Forerunner 405cx. Just wet it with saliva or water before you start, and it accurately and easily tracks your heart rate. The strap that attaches it to your chest is easily adjustable and easily removable. Unlike other products, my heart rate does not "jump around" 10 or 20 beats. The battery lasts a good amount of time and is easily replaceable. This is the best heart rate monitor that I have used, and I prefer it to Polar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin heart rate monitor for Edge 305, October 7, 2009
C. Riggs (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
Works as advertised, no problems. This is a replacement of my first one that the seal (o-ring type) in the battery compartment failed, causing the battery to corrode due to moisture leaking. Then it never worked again. Be careful changing batteries not to damage the seal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with my Forerunner 405 - just wet the contacts and you're set, January 27, 2010
J. Lance (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor (Soft Strap) (Electronics)
(Please note: the other user's negative review for this item is not accurate. The photo pictured is accurate for the Premium HRM, Product Number 010-10997-02. See below for update to original review.)

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
I tested out my friend's Premium Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) on the trail this weekend and was extremely impressed and ordered mine yesterday. (My hat is off to Amazon - this is a better deal than dealer's pricing.)

The premium HRM is an excellent accessory to my Forerunner 405, which I initially purchased without a HRM, and the additional data set will be a big help to me when charting my progress and seeing gains over the same terrain over time, not to mention a decent "zone" training aid when road cycling.

A VERY IMPORTANT ITEM OF NOTE that people tend to forget/ignore when using these HRMs is that you need to wet the contacts for an accurate reading. You can use water, or simply rub some spit on in a pinch, but I would recommend swinging by a running store and getting a bottle of gel - it's cheap and it lasts forever, plus in my experience it provides the most accurate data... which is what we're interested in with these toys, right? :)

Enjoy! I know I will - happy trails.
----
UPDATE, Feb. 11th: Just a brief follow-on update from my original pre-review.

After three runs, this HRM functions beautifully. I have zero data spikes, my 405 picks up the signal immediately, and I haven't even had to use my runner's electrode gel for the contacts; just wet the contacts in the sink and strap it on and go. Simply put, it works PERFECTLY.

It's also great having the training data to see which zone I'm training in or "Why did that run suck so hard?!"... oh, my hr was sky-rocketing and I was pushing too hard for event 'x'.

I would post an image here if I could so you could see the solid data and corresponding Garmin Connect screen capture.

Solid product, five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great With Garmin's Upgraded Soft Strap, February 4, 2011
Bought the Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor with the hope that it would be more comfortable than the Garmin "Standard" Heart Rate Monitor. I found that it is indeed more comfortable, but have gone back to using the standard monitor.

Used the premium monitor about 4 times per week while walking on my treadmill since December of last year, and it seemed to be operating ok. The heart rate reading it displayed correlated well with that of a finger tip monitor that I also own. During the past week, however, the readings have become very erratic---often showing heart rates >200bpm. I have tried rewetting the electrodes, moving the monitor around on my chest, and changing to shirts that may contain less static electrical charge with no success. Therefore, I have gone back to the standard (buy less comfortable) standard Garmin monitor that is working fine.

I considered returning the monitor to Garmin for repair or exchange, but decided to first check in the Garmin Forums on the Garmin website to see if others were having this problem, and yes indeed people are! Numerous suggestions are made in the forums such as wetting the electrodes with gel instead of water, wearing only cotton shirts, wearing the monitor upside down, and even wearing the monitor on ones back rather than on ones chest. Personally, I refuse to resort to such Mickey Mouse solutions, and will use the standard monitor instead.

Am not sure what I will do about my Premium monitor. I suspect that what we have here is a basic design that is not very robust or reliable, and that my returning the device to Garmin for repair or exchange might not accomplish much other than my paying some shipping charges.

Updated 2/24/11: I contacted Garmin customer service regarding the monitors' erratic operation, and was told that they have an upgraded soft strap that they would send to me free of charge. I received the new strap within about a week, and now the monitor is working perfectly with no more erratic readings. I am very pleased with the response of the Garmin customer representative (whoes initials are J. R.)! I will consider giving the monitor a 5 star rating if it continues to operate well for a few months or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Polar, May 17, 2010
Anonymous (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
I don't know why Garmin won't package this version with their watches, as the premium heart rate strap actually works. I found the stock strap to be finicky and inaccurate, even with gel. The premium strap works right off the bat without gel and doesn't lose signal through-out the activity. It stays in place running, biking (on and off road), or hiking and is about as comfortable as they get. The snap closure in the front makes putting this on/off very easy. Overall I'd say this is as accurate as my polar strap, and a tad more comfortable. I always found polar to set the benchmark, but this takes it a little further in comparison and is a "no brainer" if you are having problems with the stock Garmin strap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, works great, October 20, 2008
A. C. Hill (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I got the Forerunner 405 as a gift, but without the HRM. I got this as an add on, but it worked seemlessly. I put it on and it synched immediately without having to really do anything on the device. Still figuring out all of the features, but the combo is highly recommended (I run and cycle).

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for 2 months,, September 7, 2010
But now it's completely unreliable, I mountain and road bike 4 times per week, doing intervals for which I really need the hearth rate monitor. But if it's not tuned in from the beginning of my training it simply keeps it over 200bpm for hours or actually under 100bpm. I have tried creme, I soak it every time and sometimes it works fine but others NOT AT ALL... So I'm trying to find an alternative.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garmin premium soft strap-NOT!!!, November 7, 2012
Stephanie Woods (Springfield, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I highly recommend no one buy this product. It simply does not work! If you are lucky, it works for a month, maybe three. Then it malfunctions in every possible way. Mine alternates between not saying I have any heartbeat at all (usually at the most inopportune times like at the beginning of a race), reading incredibly high like 194 when I am running 17 minute miles, reading incredibly low like 65 when I am running at a 9:30 mile pace, or reading normal and then surging up or down 40 beats different in the period of 1 second. I train using my heart rate to evaluate my training effort, and this strap makes that totally impossible. I have tried every solution, and nothing works. It sure makes the purchase of my $400 Garmin 910XT useless with this strap. Yes, it is more comfortable than the old plastic one, but if it doesn't work, what is the point? I contacted Garmin support yesterday and they were totally useless. If you research the internet, there are huge numbers of people who have problems with this strap. Why Garmin has not addressed these problems and redesigned it is beyond my imagination and seems an extremely poor business decision.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stops working after little use, June 2, 2011
This worked great - for a little while. I've had this monitor for about three months. I used this monitor about 2-3 times a week. It worked great for about six weeks but then became unreliable. As long as my heart rate was in the 100-120 range it gave an accurate reading but if I worked any harder than that, the heart rate displayed would actually go down - sometimes as low as 40. This '40' would be displayed on my watch at the same time I could hear my heart pounding fast in my ears.

Over the next several weeks it became less and less reliable. Now I've just given up. I can't figure out how to return it for refund. It's not worth the money if it only works for six weeks.

ETA 26-Jun-2011

I tried replacing the battery hoping that was all it was but after I put the new battery in, the device would no longer pair to my watch at all. I searched the Garmin website to see if I had some recourse and it shows they guarentee their stuff for one year and I could return the device, get an RMA number, and get a replacement. I did this a few times before with cell phones and once with a TiVo so I decided to give it a try. It turned out to be very straight forward, after a few questions from the Gramin rep clearly establishing my HRM was toast they offered to replace it and didn't even make me send in the old one. The new one came within four or five days and has sucessfully paired with my watch. I'm taking it out for its first workout later today. Hopefully it won't die within months too. I'll add another edit if it does.

So, Garmin gets an A++ for customer service and standing behind what it sells. It gets a wait-and-see on reliability.

ETA - 12-Aug-2011
It worked for awhile and then the same issue re-occurred. I know I can ask Garmin for another new one but what is the point if they stop working within months? The conditions I used it in were pretty rough - extrememly hot and humid conditions for 5 plus hours at a time. But, if a heart rate monitor isn't rugged enough to deal with some sweat and humidity, what is the point. Great idea but technology fails. Hopefully a better product will come out soon. Changing my stars back to only one star. Sorry Garmin.

ETA - 21-Nov-2011
I really needed a heart rate monitor for a trip I was taking in Sept, so I went ahead and purchased the basic garmin HRM. The cheaper HRM is larger and the plastic bites into my skin some and is less comfortable - but it works - and that's what really counts. I've been using the cheaper less comfortable model since early September. I use it around 3 times a week. Once a week for 3-5 hour hikes. No issues so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars More comfort for a higher price, September 5, 2010
MyNeChimKi "MyNeChimKi" (Lovettsville, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I was really impressed with the other reviews of the Garmin Premium heart rate monitor so I forked out the extra money and purchased one. I use two Garmin devices, the Edge 705 and the Forerunner 405CX, and both came with their standard heart rate monitor straps. Many people reported better data from the premium heart rate monitor so I was most interested in that. However, after comparing nearly a month's worth of data, I don't really see any difference. I had been wetting the contacts like the instructions and other reviewers said, but the data looks the same to me.

The strap pairs easily with both of my devices, and I've never had a problem with it losing signal or not establishing a connection right away. At times, the standard issue straps took minutes or physically entering the menus to re-pair them to the device. Not so with the Premium strap.

While I don't know that I'd consider any heart rate monitor wonderfully comfortable, the Premium strap is definitely much more comfortable than the standard issue one.

I'm on the fence about the price... Amazon certainly has a better deal going than Garmin's website does, but it's still a heafty price tag for something that normally comes with the device and I feel only functions moderately better for the amount you pay. Certainly if you purchase a device that DOESN'T come with a heart rate monitor, I'd go for this one because of the comfort and the ease of pairing. But if you're purchasing a device that comes with one... I'm not sure that I'd recommend going out and buying this add on.

I purchased a second one for my husband who's build is larger than most, and he has yet to try it on. The true test will be if it fits his linebacker frame without modification.

Rate and Discover Movies