5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent heart rate monitor
Published on July 21, 2009 by Stephen M. Charme

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for 2 months,
Published on September 7, 2010 by Bjarne Haug

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent heart rate monitor, July 21, 2009
I have used this with my Garmin Forerunner 305, Forerunner 50, and Forerunner 405cx. Just wet it with saliva or water before you start, and it accurately and easily tracks your heart rate. The strap that attaches it to your chest is easily adjustable and easily removable. Unlike other products, my heart rate does not "jump around" 10 or 20 beats. The battery lasts a good amount of time and is easily replaceable. This is the best heart rate monitor that I have used, and I prefer it to Polar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with my Forerunner 405 - just wet the contacts and you're set, January 27, 2010
J. Lance (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor (Soft Strap) (Electronics)
(Please note: the other user's negative review for this item is not accurate. The photo pictured is accurate for the Premium HRM, Product Number 010-10997-02. See below for update to original review.)

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
I tested out my friend's Premium Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) on the trail this weekend and was extremely impressed and ordered mine yesterday. (My hat is off to Amazon - this is a better deal than dealer's pricing.)

The premium HRM is an excellent accessory to my Forerunner 405, which I initially purchased without a HRM, and the additional data set will be a big help to me when charting my progress and seeing gains over the same terrain over time, not to mention a decent "zone" training aid when road cycling.

A VERY IMPORTANT ITEM OF NOTE that people tend to forget/ignore when using these HRMs is that you need to wet the contacts for an accurate reading. You can use water, or simply rub some spit on in a pinch, but I would recommend swinging by a running store and getting a bottle of gel - it's cheap and it lasts forever, plus in my experience it provides the most accurate data... which is what we're interested in with these toys, right? :)

Enjoy! I know I will - happy trails.
----
UPDATE, Feb. 11th: Just a brief follow-on update from my original pre-review.

After three runs, this HRM functions beautifully. I have zero data spikes, my 405 picks up the signal immediately, and I haven't even had to use my runner's electrode gel for the contacts; just wet the contacts in the sink and strap it on and go. Simply put, it works PERFECTLY.

It's also great having the training data to see which zone I'm training in or "Why did that run suck so hard?!"... oh, my hr was sky-rocketing and I was pushing too hard for event 'x'.

I would post an image here if I could so you could see the solid data and corresponding Garmin Connect screen capture.

Solid product, five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin heart rate monitor for Edge 305, October 7, 2009
C. Riggs (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
Works as advertised, no problems. This is a replacement of my first one that the seal (o-ring type) in the battery compartment failed, causing the battery to corrode due to moisture leaking. Then it never worked again. Be careful changing batteries not to damage the seal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great With Garmin's Upgraded Soft Strap, February 4, 2011
Bought the Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor with the hope that it would be more comfortable than the Garmin "Standard" Heart Rate Monitor. I found that it is indeed more comfortable, but have gone back to using the standard monitor.

Used the premium monitor about 4 times per week while walking on my treadmill since December of last year, and it seemed to be operating ok. The heart rate reading it displayed correlated well with that of a finger tip monitor that I also own. During the past week, however, the readings have become very erratic---often showing heart rates >200bpm. I have tried rewetting the electrodes, moving the monitor around on my chest, and changing to shirts that may contain less static electrical charge with no success. Therefore, I have gone back to the standard (buy less comfortable) standard Garmin monitor that is working fine.

I considered returning the monitor to Garmin for repair or exchange, but decided to first check in the Garmin Forums on the Garmin website to see if others were having this problem, and yes indeed people are! Numerous suggestions are made in the forums such as wetting the electrodes with gel instead of water, wearing only cotton shirts, wearing the monitor upside down, and even wearing the monitor on ones back rather than on ones chest. Personally, I refuse to resort to such Mickey Mouse solutions, and will use the standard monitor instead.

Am not sure what I will do about my Premium monitor. I suspect that what we have here is a basic design that is not very robust or reliable, and that my returning the device to Garmin for repair or exchange might not accomplish much other than my paying some shipping charges.

Updated 2/24/11: I contacted Garmin customer service regarding the monitors' erratic operation, and was told that they have an upgraded soft strap that they would send to me free of charge. I received the new strap within about a week, and now the monitor is working perfectly with no more erratic readings. I am very pleased with the response of the Garmin customer representative (whoes initials are J. R.)! I will consider giving the monitor a 5 star rating if it continues to operate well for a few months or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Polar, May 17, 2010
Anonymous (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
I don't know why Garmin won't package this version with their watches, as the premium heart rate strap actually works. I found the stock strap to be finicky and inaccurate, even with gel. The premium strap works right off the bat without gel and doesn't lose signal through-out the activity. It stays in place running, biking (on and off road), or hiking and is about as comfortable as they get. The snap closure in the front makes putting this on/off very easy. Overall I'd say this is as accurate as my polar strap, and a tad more comfortable. I always found polar to set the benchmark, but this takes it a little further in comparison and is a "no brainer" if you are having problems with the stock Garmin strap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, works great, October 20, 2008
A. C. Hill (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I got the Forerunner 405 as a gift, but without the HRM. I got this as an add on, but it worked seemlessly. I put it on and it synched immediately without having to really do anything on the device. Still figuring out all of the features, but the combo is highly recommended (I run and cycle).

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for 2 months,, September 7, 2010
But now it's completely unreliable, I mountain and road bike 4 times per week, doing intervals for which I really need the hearth rate monitor. But if it's not tuned in from the beginning of my training it simply keeps it over 200bpm for hours or actually under 100bpm. I have tried creme, I soak it every time and sometimes it works fine but others NOT AT ALL... So I'm trying to find an alternative.

2.0 out of 5 stars flawed by false high readings, November 5, 2010
Unfortunately, I have to give this item a less than stellar review.

I received this with the Garmin Edge 500 Team bundle (cycle computer)

The problem is it gives false readings from time to time. I don't know if this is from bad contact with your skin, or something else. This wouldn't be a problem if the readings were 0, but the readings are like 200 or 215.

This is a problem because I've set up the edge to give me alerts when I've exceeded my exercise zone. I end up pulling over the bike to the side of the road and fiddling with it. I put saliva on the contacts with my finger to try and make a better contact. Eventually things work out and either the fiddling works or I sweat enough to make a good contact, and it starts giving realistic readings.

But sometimes out of the blue, I get false readings later in my ride, when I'm traveling fast. Usually it's a quick downhill (and I can't usually pull over to fix it).

Later, when I analyze the recording of my ride with garmin training center, it's full of these false readings. A few of my rides' max heart rate: 198, 217, 205, 193. sigh.

I finally found a solution for the problem (a gel actually). I bought a tube of "Parker Spectra 360 Electrode Gel", and squeeze it on the sensor pads like toothpaste and it eliminates the false readings. It's fairly inexpensive but you have to tote it around to where you start your ride.

Personally, I think this thing needs a redesign. My inexpensive polar heart rate monitor and strap doesn't seem to have these sorts of problems. To give the benefit of the doubt here, the polar strap may filter bogus readings to zero or something.

EDIT: after a few months of using this (using electrode gel *every* time), I've had two rides (out of maybe 40) start out and get false readings. After getting used to good readings, it's a frustrating design problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars More comfort for a higher price, September 5, 2010
MyNeChimKi "MyNeChimKi" (Lovettsville, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I was really impressed with the other reviews of the Garmin Premium heart rate monitor so I forked out the extra money and purchased one. I use two Garmin devices, the Edge 705 and the Forerunner 405CX, and both came with their standard heart rate monitor straps. Many people reported better data from the premium heart rate monitor so I was most interested in that. However, after comparing nearly a month's worth of data, I don't really see any difference. I had been wetting the contacts like the instructions and other reviewers said, but the data looks the same to me.

The strap pairs easily with both of my devices, and I've never had a problem with it losing signal or not establishing a connection right away. At times, the standard issue straps took minutes or physically entering the menus to re-pair them to the device. Not so with the Premium strap.

While I don't know that I'd consider any heart rate monitor wonderfully comfortable, the Premium strap is definitely much more comfortable than the standard issue one.

I'm on the fence about the price... Amazon certainly has a better deal going than Garmin's website does, but it's still a heafty price tag for something that normally comes with the device and I feel only functions moderately better for the amount you pay. Certainly if you purchase a device that DOESN'T come with a heart rate monitor, I'd go for this one because of the comfort and the ease of pairing. But if you're purchasing a device that comes with one... I'm not sure that I'd recommend going out and buying this add on.

I purchased a second one for my husband who's build is larger than most, and he has yet to try it on. The true test will be if it fits his linebacker frame without modification.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can be used on many of the garmin forerunner products, April 9, 2012
I recently purchased this item for my Forerunner 110, bought without the HRM. I went to their webpage and they show it works with the following..................
110, 210, 305, 310XT, 405, 405CX, 410, 50, 610, 910XT.
I hope this is of some help for others who are considering purchasing it at this great price, which is much less than at Garmin.
If you bought one of the above, w/o the HRM, you just need to turn on the HRM setting on your model.