5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, one that works!
Published 15 months ago by John Ramsey

2.0 out of 5 stars Intermittent and not comfortable
I have been using Polar and Garmin HRM's for 20+ years. It has been several years since I had trouble with a strap that seemed to be intermittent. After three of this model I find the HR cuts out to 0 several times during workouts. The strap also folds along its length while I am wearing it. Not the best fitting strap.
On the other hand, the Garmin strap that...
Published 10 months ago by JPL

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, one that works!, May 26, 2013
John Ramsey (Pittsford, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor (Soft Strap) (Electronics)
After going thru 2 versions of Garmin and a Polar HRM&strap, this one finally works! I had been fed up with intermittent and erroneous heart rates, and no matter what I did (wet the pads, use electrode gel, etc.) there always would be crazy readings of 22 and even 222. This one worked fine right from the start. What's the difference between them all? This one has a shielding layer which mitigates the static electricity and interference that seemed to upset the other straps. It also has a 'polarity' - where you have the Right and Left side indicated as well as the shielding layer making contact to the skin. Garmin recommends to remove the transmitter module and wash in a regular washing machine after 7 uses, it would appear that a build up of sweat 'shorts out' the sensor pads and machine washing cleans up the salty sweat.

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid update for an ANT+ Heart Rate strap and sensor, November 7, 2013
This is my third Garmin Heart Rate Monitor. I own the "old" style hard strap which came with my forerunner ages ago, and while it still works I've always found it a bit uncomfortable. The Premium strap which came with my 310XT was more comfortable, but it suffered from the heart rate spikes that so many people have complained about. I misplaced/lost that strap while travelling about a year ago, and have been making do with the old-style hard strap.

With the purchase of a Concept 2 erg and its PM4, it was time to find something comfortable again. I wavered between buying a the newest version of the Premium HRM strap and sensor or just going with the sensor and buying the Polar wearlink strap (a la DCRainmaker). I obviously went with the whole Garmin package, and I'm very happy. The strap is very comfortable and I have had no issues with it communicating with my 310XT or the PM4 on my Concept 2. I think the re-design with the silver fabric has helped solve the heart rate spiking problem.

If you've had issues with Garmin's older premium soft strap, are still committed to Garmin HRM products and ANT+, are in the market for a new one, I recommend this updated version.

2.0 out of 5 stars Intermittent and not comfortable, October 8, 2013
On the other hand, the Garmin strap that utilizes the HRM sending unit to fasten the strap together does not exhibit the same problem. I also tried using my Polar strap with the Garmin sending unit. That also works great.
My suggestion is to try and find the older(?) style Garmin strap or switch to using a Polar strap with your other Garmin hardware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Washed it, dried it.... still works fine!, November 13, 2013
Ok, I've used this particular monitor since I got my 910XT and it has always been reliable through rain, sleet, snow, dropping it on the floor, stepping on it, etc., But today it really showed it is an amazingly tough product. I accidentally left it on my shorts and machine washed it, then machine dried it on HIGH heat. I was amazed it didn't melt. Imagine my absolute amazement when I tried it and IT STILL WORKS! amazing

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than The "Original", October 10, 2013
Joshua T. Ebert "Ebes" (Bowling Green, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I had the former version of this (the one that is entirely black– with no dark grey), and I had problems with it. Primarily, it seemed to have issues conducting signal in random situations. I read a number of online articles about people having erratic heart rate reports on their Garmins, and the number one suggestion was to swap out or modify the strap. I never had the chance, because the actual unit ended up going dead.

While Garmin happily replaced my old unit and strap for free, I impatiently ordered this one on Amazon so that I could continue my training ASAP. (Never hurts to have two! =P ) Both of the replacement units have the "new" soft strap, and I'm super pumped, because they're significantly better.

First and foremost, all heart rate and conductivity issues seem improved. While, I'm not sure of the exact science, there are some clear changes in the form of different patches of material on the band. Whatever it is, it seems to work!

Despite my own skepticism when reading about the "increased comfort," I have to admit that something about this material is also much more comfortable than the old version. It seems slightly thicker and sturdier. The material on my old one actually began to wrinkle after a year of use, so it became somewhat morphed. 90% of the time it just hung in my closet, so it really wasn't under and major stress. A few hot days of sitting wadded up in my gym bag distorted it. This strap is hold it's shape much better!

Overall, this unit and strap are great. Both of my previous issues seem fixed with the "new improvements," so I can't report any complaints.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking product but ruined by poorly designed battery door, March 28, 2014
R. Southern (San Jose, CA. USA) - See all my reviews
(updated review below)

Original review: While this has a nice strap and a low profile sensor, the 4 Phillips screws that hold the battery cover in place are very small and very soft. The first thing I did when I received this from Amazon was check the battery, which requires removing the 4 screws on the back of the unit. I used a jewelers screwdriver and 3 of the 4 small screws came out relatively easily, but the 4th stripped the head and now can't be removed. Low quality screws with soft metal tend to do this, or the screw may have been over-tightened. Either way, this HRM will only be usable until the battery dies, which will be within a year. This is a very poor design or materials choice. I hope most units aren't like this, but you won't know until it's time to replace the battery. The unit will be out of warranty and then the user will be out another $50 because they'll need to buy a replacement HRM.

Other brands have a more sensible and easier to access battery door (e.g. coin twist door on the Cateye). Garmin is smarter that this and they should produce a higher quality product using better quality screws or design it in a way that doesn't require such small screws to be used. I'm very disappointed with them on this. I will be returning this HRM and looking for one that will last through multiple battery changes.

Update 3/31/14: I'm upping my review to 3 stars from 1. I prefer the slimmer design of this unit over some of the other brands I looked at, so I decided to give it another chance and ordered another one. I checked the screws on the back of the new unit to see if also had the same problem (soft/defective or stuck screw). This second one was fine and the screws all came out and went back in without any problem or damage. I've returned the 1st one as defective and will keep this second one. I still stand by my assertion that the design choice to use 4 tiny screws to hold the battery cover is bad. Perhaps my first one just had a defective screw? I recommend that if you purchase this HRM, check the screws to make sure you can get them out (to eventually replace the battery) before you get outside the return/exchange window (30 days).

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after a moth, October 31, 2013
Richard J Klapper (Marietta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
Erratic behavior on workout one month after purchase. Next attempted use it was completely gone. Battery replacement does not help. Purchased Sep 24, 2013 and it quit Oct 29, 2013. Does anyone make a reliable Ant+ monitor that will work with Garmin 310XT?

1.0 out of 5 stars Strap is comfortable, but doesn't work reliably, July 2, 2013
T. Mayes (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
I was looking for an ANT+ HRM for my new cycling computer and purchased this Garmin. It worked on my first two rides, though the readings seemed to be consistently high (I'm guessing at least 10 bpm too high, maybe more). On the third ride, it was stuck at 72 bpm and never budged. Next ride I sprayed Static Guard on my jersey to eliminate static and that seemed to work. The following ride it didn't work at all. On my last try it worked for the first half of the ride and then just started slowly drifting lower and lower. There is something seriously wrong with this. I'm going to try it with my Polar strap next (which has always worked flawlessly) and see if that helps. I cannot recommend this unit.

Update 5 August 2013: Well, I'm giving up on this piece of junk (I'm being kind). At best, it works about half of the time. I have tried every trick that I could find online to make this thing work, but it just doesn't. Even with the Polar strap, conductive gel (which I have always used), and Static Guard it did nothing at all today. I'm going to call Garmin and see if they will take it back, even though I'm pretty sure that it is out of the return period (I've had it for two months).

3.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for my previous garmin heart monitor 2nd edition, May 12, 2013
My second edition monitor just plain stopped working. I'm hoping the laced silver threading (VERY similar to touch screen compatible gloves now) will help maintain a constant working connection. There may have been other things wrong with the 2nd edition too. We'll see what happens but so far it is dead on accurate. Usually new models are an improvement is my thought. :-)

See update in my comment below....

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with Galaxy Note 3, January 9, 2014
I got this to pair with my galaxy note 3 (which has ANT+ support built in!) for bike rides, using ipBike and it works great.

I can log my heart rate and GPS from my phone now. Better than a Garmin edge 810!

Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor (Soft Strap)
$69.99 $42.96