Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on December 6, 2010
This is a direct replacement for the factory band for Garmen 405. These other reviews seem to make this out to be some difficult task replacing the watch band, and while it's not the easiest watch band I've ever replaced, I would not consider it difficult.
The tool included is quite handy for removing the old band, which is even easier if yours is broken and shorter.
Take off the old band, and using an old toothbrush and soft soap and water, gently clean all the old sweat and gunk out of there. Then dry with a soft towel.
Then slip in the new band pins
hook one side of the new band on, and from the outside, using the tool included in the package, compress the pin, and slip the other side of the band into place.
Then check the inside with the tool and make sure it's secure.
Repeat on the other half of the new band.
I won't say how long this "should" take you, because everyone is different when it comes to these things. Good luck!
on February 22, 2013
This was a little little difficult to put on, and I tried for about 30 minutes! That is, until I realized the two plastic "points" on the watch band that go into the watch were a little too long. I snipped the end off of each point and then was able to use the little tool to get the band on in about two minutes.
on March 15, 2016
For the sake of your sanity you'll want to do the following.

1. Make the pin holes in the straps a tiny bit bigger before you start, otherwise the pin won't go in fully and the strap will come off.
2. Lay the Garmin down on it's face to avoid triggering the touch functions as you try to push the pin in.
3. When replacing the shorter strap, fold the longer one back on itself and wrap with an elastic band otherwise it gets in the way constantly.
4. Listen for the click, but don't assume the pin has gone in properly.
5. The pin is spring loaded. Be ready to catch it when testing if the strap is attached properly.
on March 9, 2012
All I can say is that I love my garmin, but replacing the band is a pain in the ass. It took forever to get this band on. Garmin needs a better system to replace their bands.
on April 3, 2016
My last band lasted over five years on the 405. The new band fits well. As others have stated, some may have a problem replacing the band. My recommendation is to have patience, allow at least 30 minutes, the pins and sockets are not symmetrical, so if it doesn’t engage one way, try the other end of the pin. Cutting or trimming the pins will weaken the security of the band and may result in a lost watch.
on January 5, 2015
I had lost the clasping piece on my original band during a bike ride, so the watch was useless. I had then gotten a newer Garmin watch that I liked better than the 405, so the 405 watch sat, collecting dust. I decided to look for a replacement band or parts to start wearing the watch again as a daily beater and for bike rides. This replacement set did the trick. It comes with the tool for removing/inserting the pins, although getting the pins out and putting them back in is still a PITA. But it would be practically impossible without the pin tool. Anyway, the watch is back in service, and the pin tool can probably be used on other watches. 4 stars only because of the pin difficulty.
on November 13, 2015
This is the third replacement band I have purchased and it is beyond frustrating to replace. I am perplexed by other's comments that this is an exact replacement for the Garmin 405. In every instance I have had to modify (by modify I mean sand down the tips on the clasp portion of the wrist band) the band to get it to fit my 405. A true OEM replacement should not require modification. Also there are no instructions and the band does not last nearly as long as it should.

I became so disenchanted I actually tried the Velcro band offered by Amazon. Equally as frustrating to install, it has lasted longer then all of the plastic replacement bands combined. The only gross thing is that the band absorbs sweat, and if you don't wash the band often enough it will give you a really nasty "ring around the wrist" pink itchy rash (ask me how I know).

If there is a weak link in the GARMIN 405 product it is this wrist band. Otherwise I am totally happy with the device.Garmin Wrist strap kit
on September 23, 2013
When my strap broke, I wrote to Garmin whose advice was to buy a new one and they would give me an $80 trade in for the old one. They did not mention this much cheaper option.

There has been some debate over the relative difficulties of fitting these and I would suggest that those expressing the sentiment that it easy are a little off the mark or happen to be extremely good with their hands and fiddly things.

You need to be prepared that it is fiddly to get it just right, not impossible, but definitely not easy. However, $20 and a bit of fiddling is a whole lot better than having to shell out for a new watch!
on July 28, 2013
This is the third watch band I have had to purchase for the Garmin 405. The previous two just simply broke. I didn't abuse the watch and didn't wear it that often but still the watch band broke and I have to replace it. This last time, the plastic pin holders on the watch itself broke so now I have to either get a new watch like this or send it to Garmin for repair. I'll probably send it in since there is nothing wrong with the watch itself. It continues to work just great. But there is much to be desired with this watch band. A better and longer lasting band is needed for this type of watch. And due to the design of this watch this is the only band that fits as far as I know.
on August 13, 2014
If you are a very physical person I suggest purchasing the Velcro strap. My husband has gone through 2 of these. He broke this one within 24 hours of having it on his wrist. Also directions do not come with this item. You will need to Youtube the directions.