on March 29, 2011
Verified Purchase
I know many of us are going crazy trying to figure out which of the latest Truckers GPS units is the best value. I have it down to two for many reasons. I will go into why in another review when I make my final decision. No one has written anything (that is no users) about the Rand McNally TND-710. But I will because I just ordered it. I have been using this one (The Garmin dezl-560 LMT) LMT just means included free lifetime maps and traffic updates. The LT will cost you to update the NuMaps (thats the mapping co) after 60 days from purchase. Its worth getting the LMT model for the lifetime updates of maps. Don't get that confused with software updates to fix glitches... they are always free. Now about the lifetime traffic. Well the receiver it comes with that is built into the power cable is free because it throws up advertisements at you now and then. I hate advertisements! I called Garmin which has excellent support as does RM and they said the non-ad power (the traffic receiver is built into the power cable) cable will cost an extra $120.00 and if you want premium traffic and construction service add $49.00 to that. WOW the only thing I can say good about that is its a one time fee. Now to add traffic and speed camera updates thats $25.00 per year. Lets add this up. I paid $459.00 for the unit (560LMT)on Amazon. $70.00 for accessories (Micro SD, Case, Windshield mount, Dash mount)$170.00 for traffic receiver power cord with prem software and $25.00 for the first year of camera warnings. Thats $724.00 all together if you want all the bells and whistles as I always do. By the way all that ado about getting add-free traffic...It sucks anyway. The traffic predictably is poor at best. Just turn it off so you don't see the advertisement. Save the $170.00. Maybe it will get better. Its a 3rd part co so its hard to say. RM (Rand McNally) Says it will offer a similar traffic receiver and service in June when there external antenna, case and other accessories come out. Right now RM only offers map updates for one year so its hard to say what the end cost of this unit will be. I WANT THE BEST! ...So I am spending alot to find out. DieselBoss is the only retailer I could find that was taking the time to compare these two units. Check it out. [...] The info is still coming in about the garmin but I agree with what they say about the Garmin so far.. I bought the Garmin here on Amazon...Best price.

I have owned or used 5 other GPSs to date.

Garmin dezl 560LMT (same as LT but no lifetime traffic)

PRO... *Starts,routes and re-routes fast 10-30sec, no lockup yet *(GREAT ROUTING SO FAR...This is the MOST IMPORTANT feature about any TRUCK GPS.) *Shows the posted truck speed of most roads next to your speed that turns red when you go over. *(Garmin has an unbelievable database) Every address I entered it had. This is not true of Google or even my Co-Pilot (PC-Miler).*Loud Speaker. *Quick access to brightness control. Easy snap-in mounting (No USB plug to plug in every time which can break) * Lane asst ...yea...love that.* Lots of fun stuff and voices you can add from the garmin AND 3rd party websites.

CON...*5" I WANT 7". *Does not show the names of cross streets as you pass them. *You can not just pan & zoom on the nav map. You have to go to a special map screen. * ETA does not adjust or work well at all...but its so bad i'm sure they will fix the software soon. My Co-Pilot ETA works perfectly. * You cannot show ETA and MTD (miles to destination) at the same time. Booo...I want both!. * The graphics could be better. Co-Pilots is Sweet Looking. Sounds like I'm working up Co-Pilot...lol...I'M NOT. POOR POOR Truck mapping almost every time with Co-Pilot...DON"T BUY.

Over View... The Hardware is rock solid, no freezes here and it re-routes you fast if you miss a turn but I wish they had a 7'. *The Software is very good for truck mapping and address thanks to garmins extensive data base but needs improvements on the stuff thats not as important but convenient.

I will update this as I learn, use and remember more. Going on 3 day trip tomorrow. MD-IN-NJ-DC-MD

Lets see what Rand McNally brings to the table with the TND710. I can't wait to get it.
2626 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 3, 2011
Verified Purchase
I love that you can switch between car, pedestrian and large truck. Easy enough to use with fast reaction time. I like the fact that any point of interest on the unit gives not only the address but also a phone number for that place (Repair shops, truck stops, wal-mart, etc.) I would definately get the Lifetime Map Updated unit again. I had several others but did not have the L.M.T. and at $150 update every year you might as well buy a new unit. I definately liked my Garmin Nuvi 760 (NOT 765) alot better as far as map detail and features. My 760 displayed the crossroad ahead when you did not have the unit in route to a location. That was one of the best features ever. I cant believe Garmin got rid of that. I left that GPS in my smaller local delivery straight truck for the current driver as it was definately a saver on the brakes. Not really sure how the height thing works cause I have a flat-top with low loads on the flat all the time so I don't really run into height restrictions. The bridge weight thing works on the big road but not really all that well out in the sticks. I recently ran across a 2 mile wooden bridge rated for 40 ton but I was at 50 ton. GPS did not catch that nor did the county realize it should have been rated for 500 lbs and for bicycles not motor vehicles, 10' wide and scary as hell for the longest 2 miles I ever drove. There seems to be an abundance of points of interest for heavy trucks (even many off the beaten path but not all). I don't have any other Trucking GPS to compare it to but all in all I am glad I purchased this unit. Also, don't forget to buy a screen protector right away and maybe a windshield mount. The cheap screen protectors are junk you have to push so hard on the face to get the GPS to respond youd swear your finger is going to go through to back of the unit, and they scratch easier as well.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 25, 2011
I'm on my third truck GPS in two weeks. First was the new Cobra 7" model...I returned it within 2 hours. The touch screen was terrible, I constantly had to punch the the screen multiple times before it would accept an entry and often times it would take the wrong letter/button, and I don't mean the next closest one, sometime it would enter a key 2" from where I touched the screen. Also of the 3 routes I tried entering, only 1 was correct, one was illegal for hazmat, and the other one went way out of the way for no reason that I could see. I returned it and got what I know.
I've had a Garmin Nuvi for years and love it, but it was not made for trucks. I tried the Dezl. Typical of Garmin, it had an excellent touch screen and display. The base maps were able to find most address I entered, but not all. The biggest issue was with truck specific points and routes. I recently moved from PA to CO and took a job hauling gasoline. Therefore I needed a gps capable of finding many small gas stations, and routing me to them via legal Hazmat routes. This is where the Garmin FAILED!!! Though I had class 3 flammable liquid selected I my truck profile, it consistently routed me to roads that I knew to be illegal, worst of all it routed me through Eisenhower tunnel anytime I had to cross the mountains. It also had at least 3 low bridges marked in the wrong locations within Denver. The final straw was when it routed me straight through a small town that I later learned could have gotten me a $1000 ticket. I simply cannot afford to have a GPS that I can't trust. Garmin's hardware and base map are excellent. But their truck specific points/routes simply aren't mature yet.
I returned the 5" Garmin and walked out with the 7" Rand Macnally 710 for the same price. So far it's routing has been spot on. I'm still used to the Garmin interface, but the RM if fairly Intuitive. According to the cashier at Pilot, they've had the least number of returns from the Rand Mcnallys.
The Garmin is more polished and comes with the traffic antenna cord, which did work well although you have to put up with ads popping up every so often, but I just can't trust it's truck data. So far the Rand seems like the most accurate although I'm going to have dishout out another $80 if I want live traffic. Although if I understand correctly, its not ad supported.

Just my 2 cents...
on June 25, 2011
Verified Purchase
This unit is better than most but still has some shortcomings. If you are on a route and want to switch modes to car for instance the route will not recalculate. It will show car but you will be on the truck route. You have to end the route, switch modes and then recalculate a route. I have found RV routing at times will send you many miles out for your way and you cannot over ride the route. The RV mode uses truck routing and there are many truck restricted routes that allow RVs. Without an RV route database we are stuck with truck or car routes. I was told by Garmin to set up a car route and a truck route for this segment of my trip and use the car route as an over ride when needed. That disables other safety issues like grade warnings, bridges, or height restrictions while using car nav. The other big issue is that this unit does not work with MapSource, Garmins computer program for mapping. On my Nuvi I could plan and check a route in MapSource and upload it and download it. It is much better to view and alter a route on a computer screen than on a Garmin screen. These items need fixing to get to 5 stars. I am happy to a point....The big plus is downloading POI databases and having them available. The hardware execution is excellent but the software execution is lacking at this point. Some of these items will be worked on in time...
on August 3, 2012
I recently got one of these units. I drive from Ohio to California weekly in a semi. This unit does a better job, and has the most useful features of any GPS I've owned. It really fits my needs well. I'm very happy with it. My comments and opinion: This unit, as with any other piece of electronic technology, is NOT flawless. If it were, everyone would own one, and the price would be outrageous. This unit does NOT replace common sense, trip planning, or human skills. It is an AID, not a miracle. When I got mine, I FULLY read the instruction manual more than once---not just a quick glance, or just plugging it in, and pressing buttons. I did the updates on Garmin's website. Then, I plugged it in, and followed the set-up directions. I set EVERYTHING to my useage, and it works great.

I've read reviews of complaints about, "it won't do this, or that", or "mine took me here, instead of there", or "this unit is junk!" Once again, I repeat, this is an electronic device---it MUST be set up carefully, and properly. This won't drive the car for you, from point A to point B, while you're texting, eating, talking on the phone, or playing SCRABBLE. It is there for advanced guidance, not to make your trip effortless. So, don't blame the device for something, if you're not patient enough to set it up properly, and use it properly. Mine goes +/- 5,000 miles a week, and I've had no major issues with it. I KNOW that I can't be the only one who bought the ONLY unit that works properly. So, read the directions, set the unit up PROPERLY, and (still) use some common sense, some trip planning, and don't expect this unit to do everything for you. Hang up and drive! If you're still having issues with the unit, Rand McNally still makes a paper version of a GPS, also referred to as a MAP. We used them back in the day, when cars really were cool, had no air bags, no OnStar, and kids played in the back of the station wagon with NO seat belts or safety seats! Directions for these maps: Read! Follow the little lines! Reach destination. And, you know what? These maps had faults too. So, you've been fore-warned.

Again, I like the Garmin dezl 560LMT. It suits my needs, and performs well above other units that I've owned. I've had NO major issues with it. I'm very satisfied with my purchase, and would very highly recommend one.

P.S. To the guy who reviewed this unit, complaining that he couldn't switch the vehicle type from car to RV while going down the road, without shutting the unit off and re-setting it to route you on roads suitable for an RV, instead of a car, or vice versa: Wake up! You didn't switch vehicle types while driving, so why would you expect this unit to be able to do that? Just ignorant! The technology is great---it's the stupid stuff that the owners of that technology do, that make it bad. Would you take a baseball glove to a football game? Wear shoulder pads to a basketball game? Get a clue, man! You get my point.

Thank you for reading my review.

[...]

Al Clarkson
Columbus, OH
on May 23, 2012
Verified Purchase
If a reviewer states "I've had this GPS for 3 days now and it is absolutely the best GPS in the universe blah, blah, blah"... move on to a more intelligent review. It will take a couple of months of hard use to make a fair evaluation ! I pull a large RV 5th wheel (13 feet high x 37 feet long). Like most RVer's we do not camp in the interstate rest areas. If you do - this is the GPS for you. If you drive from exit to exit on interstates only - this is the GPS for you. If you need a GPS to do this you are one scary dude or dudett :-). A paper map will be cheaper and another career will be safer for you and us.

Most drivers who pilot big rigs that are going to travel off the beaten path WILL get into trouble with the Garmin Dezel 560 GPS. I input the specs of my rig and I drove around for 6 months in my car "pretending" to be the BIG RV. This GPS told me (every couple of annoying minutes) to exit at the next road because I was on a "truck prohibited road" when in fact I was on a state road approved for trucks. In fact, I live in the country on a truck approved road and was told to get off the road I live on ! Several times I did as told just to see where Mr. Garmin would send me. WOW! I was put onto narrow roads with low trees, weight limited one lane bridges and anything but truck friendly. Several times the roads would have required me backing up way too far not to hit something, in one case over a mile !

I also put it into positions which I knew were not truck capable, let alone truck friendly. I deliberately went down a convoluted road to a 9' 10" train under pass. Mr. Garmin never even warned me ! This thing screwed up so many times I cannot recount them all. Suffice to say it was one time after another.

As a trucker, most drivers buy these type units for `off the interstates', if a GPS is needed between exits another career should be chosen. Once off the interstates, the fun begins.

Oh yeah, Garmin like others always put the legalize "Not our fault, you should have checked your route first before trusting our word for it. In the case of the Garmin 560 Dezel - this means every trip, every mile. WHO NEEDS THIS GPS THEN ? I'm sharing with you now... you better listen to and heed their lawyer talk because they mean it.

Garmin, I'm really disappointed in you. Did you not try this unit before selling it to a customer base that used to have blind loyalty for your products ? NOT ANY MORE, YOU MUST RE-EARN OUR TRUST.

I gave it 1 star because zero stars was not a choice, you'll have to trust me it is a zero hero. As a trucking GPS it is a great big ole ZERO. It works well for cars, hiking and truckers you don't like :-)
on July 24, 2011
I agree with just about everything that East Coast RoadRunner's review. Very loud speaker(but only when plugged into cigarette charger), does quick re-routes most of the time. Like all GPS devices, there are inefficient and badly mapped exits. There is no getting around exceptions... it is a fantasy not to expect them. However, I feel the rate of oddball spots in their maps is nice and low. The POI database is impressive. It has found everything I went looking for as long as I had a name. Categorization is unreliable (true of all brands).

It pings when you are more than 5 mph over the speed limit, and it has been very accurate there. It also produces a series of warning, such as traffic, tight turns, steep grades, sharp bends, etc. However it simply bings and places a red circular icon on the screens. If you need to see what it really is you must point and a pop up comes up. There are times I wish it would say the alert.

It take a while to boot. Responsive, except searching POI can be painfully slow. This is excruciating when searching for a POI that is far away from you. I do wish I could search a POI near a city. It will only tell you POI near your current position. If I know of a Home Depot 60 miles away, I have to pick something random near there and wait till I get closer then search for "Home Depot". It will show all the ones nearby. But not the one you need to go to. So far distances POIs don't work unless the name is nice and distinct.

Having owned it for about two years and having traveled some 14,000 miles around the country with it I've seen a couple of issues. Like most it can overheat when left on a hot dashboard. In addition it goes into zombie mode. It has done this at least twice, each time while on the road somewhere I didn't know. The second time was while pulling an RV and the turn for a highway was coming up and I didn't know which way to go. I ended up on the wrong choice and had to find an exit where I could turn around, which was quite a ways down the highway as I was passing through a city. Each time you have to hold the power button down for a minute or more to get the device to reset. Then after a long boot it is back to normal.

The algorithm for best route is flawed in that a more complex route, say hopping across five highways parkways, is preferable to a path that stays on just two. Friends have found this to be true on other Garmins as well. For instance, traveling on I-95 North it will have you exit onto the Hutch Parkway North, then exit Hutch back onto I-95 North. I-95 has a bump that loops a bit there and it is 1/2 mile (30 seconds) longer than the Hutch path. But the slowdown of merge off, merge on, merge off, merge on is ignored. Unless you know the area you can't avoid these oddball calculations. Don't expect the route to be the simplest or truly the quickest.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 20, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is a great product. Typical Garmin! We purchased this for our motor home. We love the 5" screen and the extra loud volume. It is very easy to set up and use. We bought it because we can set it up for a motor home:
set up length, width, height, & weight. You can set up the points of interest for auto, RV, or over the road truck. On main roads it has exit info such as food, gas, lodging, etc. You can do: truck, RV, auto, & even bicycle modes. All are easy to find and use. I really like the speed limit function. So many times you get on a road and the speed limit isn't posted for miles. The speed limit on the Garmin was correct every time. The best part is life time maps!
on December 22, 2011
Verified Purchase
My review is admittedly slanted in favor of Garmin products as I have been a Garmin user for about 8 years now. As far as these types of consumer electronics go, you really do get what you pay for. If you go in and buy the $100 Nuvi, you're not gonna get a full-featured Sat-Nav unit - you'll get a map with an arrow on it. This spendier model features all the added benefits of an exit service guide, POI customization, and proximity alerts. I have co-workers that use Nuvi's, and I feel like the Dezl (as well as my old StreetPilot) almost always provides better routing.

PROs - Full featured, easy-use Sat-Nav with fairly accurate truck features such as trip-fuel reporting, low-clearance proximity alerts and active routing. Using 3rd-party websites (listed on Garmin.com) you can download and add all sorts of custom features to the unit using no more that the supplied USB cable and a little PC know-how. I added full lists of all of my favorite road-side food and shopping chains so I am always a few buttons away from finding the services I need out on the road.

CONs - As will all Sat-Nav systems, you should always double check the route your unit gives you against common sense. Double check the Traffic with Google Maps, and also make sure the unit isn't sending you on a 15 minute detour to avoid 5 minutes of traffic (because they will all do this to you). The window mount is sold separately, which some find annoying, but I prefer the included bean-bag mount if you switch vehicles from time-to-time. The ad-supported traffic serice is also anoying, but like other reviewers said, you can turn it off.

The number one complaint I hear about GPS units is that they 'send me on some awful road' or route to the wrong place. This technology is far from perfect, but if you use common sense and re-check the route before you go, I have found that a good satellite navigation system is absolute necessity for the professional driver. I have used non-Garmin units in the past, but prefer Garmin's ease of use, full featured POI lists and multiple search options.

I would highly recommend this unit over cheaper versions, and for the truck drivers out there, the trip logging won't replace your log books, but serves as a great back-up.
on November 7, 2011
I've been studying the Dezl 560LMT since it came out in trying to decide which new GPS to upgrade to. But in talkiing to Garmin tech support today I learned something about the Navteq mapping database used in all Garmin units that I didn't know before. Garmin's database of 6 million+ points of interest (POI), while it seems to be the best in the industry, is just a sampling of the total that actually exist in North America. There are probably more like a hundred million+ POI's in North America but the technology doesn't exist today to produce a cost effective unit that can hold that much info and complete a search quickly. If you think todays GPS's take a long time to search now, imagine if they held all POI's that really exist. So Navteq includes just a sampling of the available info. We travel fulltime in our RV and I often wondered why, when I search and set a "route to", say, the nearest Walmart, which it says is 20 miles away, and then we pass another Walmart at the next exit just 2 miles down the road. I always assumed that the closer business, not in the database, was too new to be included in the current version, but in most cases I could tell from the condition of the building and parking lot that the business was not new. So I was left to assumne that Navteq was doing a poor job of researching POI's. Now I realize that our desires and needs are running just a little ahead of our technological abilities. So today's GPS units can't solve all our problems by themselves. That's why my wife always has her laptop sitting on her lap as we travel down the road with the internet up and running. In my research of current units and my 15 year experience of owning 5 different Garmins I think I'll end up buying the Dezl 560LMT now that the price has come down over $100 since it's introduction.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations