5.0 out of 5 stars works great
I had a Garmin 360 and replaced it with this..processing is a faster, and everything works better and would buy this unit again

on the down side I noticed Garmin "Cheapened" the unit with no case and home charger and the standard suction cup mount is way cheaper
Published on February 5, 2011 by Ryan Kruse

I bought the Garmin as a gift for my wife and was thrilled about the lifetime updates for traffic and maps.

Setup and navigation is good. We like the big screen and the way the information is provided.

Published on February 10, 2011 by dusares

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid device but watch out for advertisement financed lifetime traffic updates, February 10, 2011
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 2350LMT 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic & Map Updates (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

The lifetime map updates sounds like a great feature. Maps can be updated four times a year and the access using the web page was easy. But I have to wonder what Garmin considers "useful life" of the device. But even if they are only available for three years, then it is still cheaper than buying the maps.

The conditions of lifetime traffic updates are definitely not what I expected and the reason that I am thinking of returning the device. The ads that finance the lifetime traffic pop up on the screen and disrupt the navigation. This is obnoxious! This should be mentioned in the product description! I couldn't even find information about the ad financed traffic on the Garmin web page!

2.0 out of 5 stars Garmin 2350, February 24, 2011
I like everything about this unit better than my old GPS units EXCEPT......
This one has advertizements and cupon offers that pop up in the middle of the screen and it appears that the only way to get them off so that you can see the map fully is to manually change the screen. If it werent for the commercials, this unit would rate 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, October 24, 2011
Got my new Garmin GPS and to say the least I am very disappointed.

Pro's
- Fast loading of maps
- Quick satellite pick up
- Quick recalculations if you get off your route
- Nice display with good graphics

Con's
- You need a computer to register the unit (not in the product description) . If you don't register it the instruction say they will cut you off from MAP updates
- When you do register it you need a certain computer configuration or it won't work. Garmin also loads lots of stuff onto your computer in a very unusual manor (they put items in the startup tray but they are not in the startup folder)
- The download of maps is 6.6 Gigabytes - It took 7 hours
- Their web site says I need a software update, I did the update twice and it still says I need an update
- While using the unit commercials come up on the screen (not in the product description

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality Control Savings, February 12, 2011
Just received the unit. Was not able to register and update maps. Garmin Communicator software just hangs with no effect. I spent 2 hours troubleshooting with no result. This issue is well described by a number of people online with no resolution from Garmin against all OS systems. On top of that my unit came with maps for just 49 lower states and no Canada and else. I found some references online re some batches having wrong map base loaded. My take is Garmin really cut all quality control to increase profits. My unit is going back and Garmin can buy it back itself and troubleshoot it or not on its own time and dime. Unit itself is decent but the user experience is not.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2350 A Big Disappointment, April 30, 2011
R. Seidel "Bob" (at the beach in NC) - See all my reviews
I am very disappointed in the 2350LMT and have returned it.

Background: I am an experienced GPS user and have had two previous Garmin units. Before that I used an external GPS with my notebook PC.

I currently have a Nuvi 750 which I liked very much. But it was getting older and needed a map update, so I decided to buy the 2350LMT after going through Garmin's configurator. But I had to wait months for it to ship.

I got the unit yesterday, and first proceeded to migrate my Favorites and Routes. I called Garmin tech support to help, and surprise they answered on the first ring and the same on every one of the half dozen calls I made yesterday. Points to Garmin on fixing their tech support that used to make us wait 30 minutes.

My Favorites copied fine, but not my Routes. I called back and they told me that the technique used to store routes was different and that they could not be copied. Since my old unit only allowed 10 routes anyhow, I didn't think it would be a big deal to re-create them.

But the 2350 does not have Routes in the old sense, even though the Garmin website indicates that this unit allows 100 Routes. It does have Trip Planner, but I found out after experimenting that this is not the same as Routes. All it allows you to do is to specify the places you want to stop at during a trip, but will not guide you through the Vias as the older Route software would. You basically have to manually select your next destination each time you get to a Via. Obviously, somebody missed the point here big-time.

After many calls to support, I finally was told that they are aware of this issue and plan to fix it in some unspecified future firmware update.

My other main problem was with the screen touch sensitivity and multi-touch. I have two multi-touch devices (iPad and HTC Inspire cellphone) and both work beautifully in selecting and zooming on the screen. But the 2350 would only detect a fingernail touch and not just the tip of a finger. And attempting a two finger zoom was terrible and the screen display often jumped somewhere else that I was pointing.

I tried this on another unit at the local store, with the same issues.

So, a big disappointment overall, and back it goes.

5.0 out of 5 stars works great, February 5, 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, November 28, 2011
This was my first GPS device and it was a bitter disappointment. I have to say that I am one of those people who like to think for themselves and have opinions and preferences. If you are not like that, or if you are used to GPSs and know what to expect from them, this review probably will not be useful to you.

If you use any contemporary electronic devices, like smart phones and tablets, then any GPS will seem like a stone-age device to you. Very low screen resolution, pressure activated and non-responsive touch screen, un-intuitive interface. And most importantly, very restricted ability for any customization. Here is my list of specific issues with this device:

1. The so called "Trip Planner" is a complete scam. It lets you define a route with multiple stops, but there is no way to make the device follow the multiple stops automatically. At each stop you have go back to the main menu, select "Where To", go to "Trip Planner", select your trip, select "GO", pick your next stop, and "Go". These are 7 to 10 clicks, depending on how much scrolling you need to do. Basically, you cannot do that while driving, you have to stop to do it. So, these locations cannot be just waypoints that you go by.
The only way to enter waypoints is to do it after you start navigating on your route. This, however, cannot be saved. So you cannot plan your route in advance.
From what I read on the web, previous Garmin models used to have a function called Route, which did allow to define a route with waypoints, but this feature got removed. Also, previous models allowed to define your routes on the web and download them to the device. This is also not possible any more. It seems that Garmin have been busy stripping out useful features, instead of adding new ones!

2. It always picks the main roads and highways, which is the worst choice during rush hours. Every time I tried the "detour" button, it picked still exactly the same route, even though there were several other options.

3. No "custom avoidances", even though the user guide says it has it. So, you can choose to avoid all highways, or all toll roads, but not a particular one, or a particular area. Turned out that other models have that, but not 2350.

4. Its traffic function works with delayed data and is quite useless, but I've been spoiled by BlackBerry traffic - nothing can beat that.

5. myTrends - this "feature" is advertised as the device learning your driving style and adapting the way it calculates routes to it. In practice, it works only for routes that you have traveled a number of times. Only then it remembers your route and may decide to suggest it. But, why do you need a GPS for a route that you already know!?

6. The device itself comes with a micro-USB port and a micro-to-regular USB computer cable. However, the car charger is with mini-USB, which is the port on the car holder. So, you cannot charge the device without the holder. Couldn't they pick one standard!?

7. The Garmin customer service is useless. They are more likely to get you to damage your device, than to help. When I wrote to them inquiring about the "Trip planner" feature, they claimed that it was supposed to follow through the locations automatically (so they had no clue how it really works) and suggested that I install all updates. When I replied that I had already done that, they suggested that I uninstall them!?!? Turned out that there is no such option at all. Eventually I found from the web, that the Trip Planner's strange behavior is "by design".

Bottom line - I returned the device, and after reading more about higher models and other GPS brands, I think I'll never look for one again. Will check out GPS software solutions for smart phones instead.

I gave it two stars, because it's probably ok for people who simply want to go from point A to B.

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't recommend this unit., December 10, 2011
Good...BUT not stable GPS.

I've had 3 GPS from Garmin. This had the right features and when it works, it works great. The issue with this unit is an unfortunate one -- basically it will sporadically simply hang -- the UI freezes up and you can't get out of it without holding the power button for ~10sec to do a hard shutdown. You can then use it again after that. This has happened 4 times in the last 3 months (I purchased this 3 months ago).

One time, it basically couldn't power up anymore. The Garmin logo would get displayed and you can see the map loading, and then it just blanks out. I had to plug the unit into the computer and was somehow able to power up to a point where I could do a factory reset. After that, it started working again.

I can't return it any longer so I'm stuck with it. I will continue to check Garmin website to see if there is a software/firmware update; otherwise, I can't rely on this unit for travel given its unreliability.

2.0 out of 5 stars There's better choices. Garmin could have done better!, December 16, 2011
Clyde Hemby (New Mexico, USA) - See all my reviews
Please note that the 2350 is an old model, and you might want to look at the current offerings. Hopefully Garmin improved things in the new models, and you can get more features for less money.

This is my second Garmin GPS and my perception is that Garmin doesn't have their full attention on providing the customer with the best GPS unit. While I understand that every company has their eye on the bottom line, they must realize their products must satisfy the customer. The 2350LMT started out annoying me as soon as I unpacked it.

After unpacking you should charge the unit fully. I believe this often skipped step really helps the battery life and prevents future problems. But it takes a while. After a few hours, when the unit indicated full charge, I turned it on and it came up in a "demo" mode. OK, that's no big deal, I'll just exit ...........but there's no button to do that. You have to take the GPS for a drive to exit demo mode! That's not very "green" of Garmin, but I guess it prevents customers at retail stores from turning it off and they're out to sell more units. So after a quick and short drive I find out that even though I purchased on a "Deal of the Day" at Amazon, so I should have fresh stock, it turns out the maps are out of date! So I hook up to a computer, register the GPS, and download maps for another few hours. The process has a few places where things could go wrong, so follow the on-screen instructions carefully, and check the power settings on your computer to be sure it doesn't enter sleep or hibernation mode.

After putting in those hours getting the unit to the state it should have been delivered in, I find:

Garmin doesn't provide a good quick start guide. Even the digital guide doesn't have complete info, causing me to search the forums for some technical details

Even with the map update, I found several roads missing, which would cause people not familiar with our area to be routed badly. Garmin has a form to submit to help them correct maps, but I'm not sure they are well used. The roads (3 years old) are in TomTom GPS's, so why aren't they in Garmin's updates?

The processor in this GPS seems slow. I used the Garmin Lock feature to require a PIN number be entered to unlock the unit, and the processor is so slow you can see the entire PIN for seconds before it's changed to the **** mask. While that's a minor problem, searches for Points of Interest are very slow and the route calculation for all but the shortest trips are noticeably slow.

The traffic receiver is not built into the unit, but is installed in the power plug. These plugs are known for failing or eventually blowing fuses, so many people were replacing them with more reliable plugs. If you try that with the 2350, you'll lose the traffic feature. Read the other reviews complaining about the commercials on the free traffic - Really, with driver distraction causing over 3000 deaths per year, why in the world would Garmin allow commercials to be sent to your car????

Probably because the traffic receiver is built into the power cord, the 2350 has a different size USB socket on the GPS than the one on the mount, which can limit your options if you don't like their mounting system. It's just bad planning and if their engineers had been awake, thing like this wouldn't happen.

The unit comes with "bloatware". There's a 30 day trial of Oxford's Language Guide on the unit, which despite the bad reviews, I was interested in. But guess what......the Language Guide isn't available on the 2350 ! I searched the store and it wasn't listed, and confirmed on the forums that it wasn't compatible. But Garmin probably got money from Oxford University Press anyway.

The good things I can say about the unit are lukewarm: It seems reliable enough. It is a sleek unit which resembles a smartphone. I found the battery life good enough for bus touring in Italy. With the Italy/Greece map chip installed, the points of interest were very helpful in finding shops/restaurants/attractions and the pedestrian mode worked well, as did the ability to save and return to a drop-off point.

The unit is evidently well built. My Amazon Deal of the Day box was poorly packed (no air bags or peanuts protecting the unit, only a piece of crumpled paper). The cardboard box was wrinkled, every corner was flattened, and marks indicate it fell off of a moving belt or buggy. Even the Garmin box inside had a flat corner caused by an impact, because there was no packing to cushion it, but the unit was undamaged.....but I might have actually been better off if it was damaged and I'd returned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great update from an ancient model, May 23, 2011
D. Guo "DG" (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Having been using an ancient Street Pilot c340 for 5 years, I should be happy with any update there is. But 2350LMT still exceeds my expectation and beats the other Garmin's in its class. My wife's nuvi 260w isn't bad either, but this one has the life time map update (will come to that later); I've tried the nuvi 1300 series but their speakers are so weak that I couldn't hear anything but the quirky high pitch (reads "disturbing") sound while driving. Below is a list of the features that I like the most:

1) Maps. Not only is the accuracy of the map significantly improved over time (sure I've been using a 5-year old map before this update), the details and responsiveness are also quite impressive. As you drive, the terrain moves alone, presenting the turns and signals even traffic cameras lying ahead. I like to use "More details" of the map, where the major street names are also shown along the path.

2) Free map updates. It's true the map update takes some time. Using a 170Mbps downstream link, my complete map update including preparation and installation takes about 50 minutes. It comes with a mini USB cable (big plus), which is different from the one used for the 1300 series (no cable included). Connection and UI experience is close to perfect. You do need to install a firefox plugin, but that isn't a big deal. I've only done one update so far, but I'm sure I will keep doing it (Garmin gives this model 4 updates a year). Of course, for those who can't afford the wait, a couple updates or even one update a year should be enough.

3) Traffic. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of trusting the GPS to diverge me from hitting the traffic. What I usually do was relying on the Google map on my iphone to check the traffic, which of course is not allowed in California any more while driving. This GPS has a small round button on the top left corner of the screen and will show green, yellow and red color to indicate low, medium and high traffic conditions lying ahead of you. The "remaining time to destination" is also calculated based on the traffic condition.

4) Speaker. There is 1 internal speaker on this model, but the sound quality is much louder and clearer than the 1300 series.

5) Feature combo VS price. At less than $200, you get life time map, traffic, multi touch screen and pedestrian mode. Bluetooth and some software features are over hyped as far as I'm concerned. We have enough bluetooth headsets in the car and office already, and I don't expect my GPS to do more than showing me the correct direction in the most efficient route. Currently, there is a $20 discount for this model. With Amazon's free 2-day shipping and hassle-free return policy, it's still the best option even though some other website may have it for a few bucks less.