5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty close to perfect
Published on December 20, 2011 by cjstrongbow

1.0 out of 5 stars This is TRASH! Don't waste your money!
Zero stars if I could give it zero stars! DON'T waste your money:

Published 1 month ago by JB

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty close to perfect, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Case for Garmin eTrex 10/20/30, Special Ops Black, Made in the USA. (Electronics)
I just received my GizzMoVest case for my Garmin eTrex 20 and I'm very impressed. This case is basically a Rhino Liner for electronics. The case fits my eTrex perfectly and looks like it will provide more protection than just about any case I've ever seen for electronic gadgets. I read in reviews for other models that the hinge at the top of the "clamshell" appears to be stretched when the case is closed tightly. This is not an issue with the eTrex model. When my case is closed, the seal is uniformly tight all the way around. At first I was skeptical about the use of the lanyard and spring clip to keep the case shut tightly. However, the more I look at it I realize that any other latching mechanism would require attaching a clip to the rubber and would just create one more thing that could break. With this design the only hardware is the spring clips and I can't see any reason they would break. The weight and heft of the case make the GPS feel more solid in my hand and makes me feel much better about carrying it here in Afghanistan. The case does not interfere with the buttons at all, just realize that you need to memorize where each butoon is. The case has indentations to tell you where buttons are, you just can't see which button is which. The price may seem a bit steep, but I always purchase a good case with my electronics. I see it as an investment in the life of my gear and this case was definitely money well spent. I highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Pay For Quality and GizzMoVest Delivers, May 29, 2012
Raleigh Amos (Richland, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I was hesitant as this is clearly not the cheapest case. I was concerned it would be too bulky, and that it would be "like any other". I had nothing to worry about on any of those concerns.

The product has the "wow effect" from the beginning.

First, it arrived several days early.

Second, the look and feel of the case is the best I've encountered for an electronic device (I've bought cases for cellphones, iTouch, digital cameras, etc. for about 10 years). If they made cases for cellphones and digital cameras I'd be considering them.

Third, the warrantee is one of the "no fine print" breed. To partially quote "...You don't like the way it looks? Return it... Your buddy knocked it into the campfire? Return what's left..."

Finally, while its not the cheapest, they offer $5.60 back if you simply blog about the case, which with the quality of the product I'm happy to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for hiking and boating - and FAST shipping!, August 28, 2012
kidtree "kidtree" (Camano Island, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I agonized a little over spending more for the GizzMoVest, when there were simple padded bags available for less, but this is exactly what I need. It offers full viewing and operation of my eTrex 30, while wrapping it in a tight, grippy, semi-rigid security blanket. There's no mystery to its operation: press the cordlock ends to slide them, open up the clamshell, and slide in your GPS. Cinch the cord and attach it to something with the tough, plastic snaphook. The lanyard is just the right length to hang it from my pack's shoulder strap and still allow me to hold the GPS out far enough for my old eyes.

Obviously, the GizzMoVest leaves the screen exposed. It has a high, cushioning rim around the front of the GPS to protect it against drops onto a flat surface, like a floor, but if you drop it on jagged rocks, the screen's survival is not guaranteed. But you have a lanyard, so you're not going to drop it, right? Buy a clear screen protector for your eTrex. It fits under the GizzMoVest just fine. My screen protector already has a few scratches from my hike last Sunday, though I can only see them when I catch the light just right.

The foam is tough, but very low density. If I drop my eTrex in the lake, it will probably bob happily on the surface. But I'm not about to test that with my brand-new toy! [I just re-read the product description, and GizzMoVest says it does NOT add floatation. If your worried, clip some kind of float into the lanyard. The eTrex is rated to survive a short-term dunking.]

I was confused at first by the buttons. The buttons on the GPS stick out a little, of course, but this case is indented over the buttons. Until I got that through my thick skull, I was pressing on the raised part between the buttons, wondering why it was so hard to operate. Press on the indents. There are no button labels on the case, but the eTrex has only a few buttons. You won't need labels.

Other reviewers have complained that the case should include a mini-carabiner to hang top-up. They're right -- sort of. Go to any place that makes keys, and buy a mini-carabiner in exactly the right size and color you want. They're dirt cheap. Give the cord on your GizzMoVest a little slack, run the carabiner though the part at the top, and cinch the cord again. Now, with the lanyard clip, you have redundant attachments to your pack. Your GPS is not getting away without your permission.

And SHIPPING! I ordered this case along with the GPS, a screen protector, and a bike mount, all with ground shipping. My GizzMoVest arrived four days before anything else. These people act like a small start-up company, desperate to please their customers. You'll see that when you read their warranty, too. They make a great product, get it to you fast, and back it up all the way.

Amazon sells a variety of products to protect your eTrex. If you're going to stow the unit in a pack and never look at it, get a padded bag. If you want to actually use the thing, get this GizzMoVest.

My only complaint is the color choice, the same as Henry Ford offered for his Model T. I would have bought a bright color if it was offered. But it's doubly-attached to my pack, so I should never have to search for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, February 26, 2013
I really like this case. It does a good job of protecting the unit, and I can still use all the buttons, without haveing to take it off.

4.0 out of 5 stars its good, January 3, 2013
I would like to have an access for the USB plug so I can have the GPS plugged in while inside the case.

Otherwise this is a good case that I am happy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, February 27, 2012
I just got the GizzMoVest case today and I must say i am very happy. Its made in the USA. The case is very durable and looks like it will withstand a lot.. Its just a hard core case. Money well spent to protect my Garmin etrex 30. Thanks GizzMoVest i will buy from you guys again! :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, February 19, 2012
This is very well made and easy to put on and take off. I really like it. Gives my Etrex 20 a good feel and all the buttons still fuction perfect.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is TRASH! Don't waste your money!, November 16, 2014
Zero stars if I could give it zero stars! DON'T waste your money:

Bought this because a rubberized case looked like the way to go! I thought, if you drop it, if it bumps against a rock while climbing (or when you fall!) etc., it should protect the GPS unit. Right? Wrong: It's thin and hard, more like a heavy duty rugged plastic material, but it will NOT absorb shock as "rubberized" implies ---- I would not drop it to test it as I am sure it would damage the unit.

The case is too small for the eTrex 30 to fit in it in what I would expect would be a snug but comfortable fit ----- I can force it in there, if I try, but it will end up breaking the bottom hinge of the case, as it bulges out and cannot fully close (see pictures.)

Once the eTrex is in the case, forget about using the buttons on the sides of the unit! The case is so hard it's impossible to press the buttons!

I am returning it!

(This review included commented pictures... for some reason they were there and disappeared and not Amazon does not let me edit to upload the pics again... The pics show everything I mention in this review...)

1.0 out of 5 stars Fit and finish lacking... especially fit., December 12, 2014
Maybe I installed incorrectly, but this product does not fit my Garmin etrex 20 very well. It's clam shell-like enclosure cinches tight with the cord but the sides of the case remains open, like the GPS is too fat for the case or something. The buttons are also much more difficult to operate as a result, since they don;t line up properly with the case. The case provides adequate protection for the gps device, but fit and finish is lacking. Disappointing

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, great protection for field use, July 2, 2014
This case is perfect for using with my eTrex when doing fieldwork and hiking. The strap can hook onto various places on my backpack or belt for easy access. The edges of the case do seal quite well, and I haven't had any issues with sand, etc. getting inside (I have a screen protector too). The material is quite thick (and grippy, which is good), but there are small depressions where the buttons are, so if you can remember which is which, they're fairly easy to push in. Overall, very pleased with this, and I expect it to last a long time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›