Questions & Answers
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 questions
vote
Go with the Legend Hcx, I know it's more money but the Micro Sd card slot makes a HUGE difference in the maps you can do. I own the the Venture Cx(NOT THE HC) and I have a 2gb micro sd card with streetmaps and Topo for the entire US on the card.The letters in garmin speak mean this H= High Sensitivity, C=Color and X= external Memory card support.If you want to save 20 or 30 bucks go with the one I was saying the Venture Cx, but I bought my unit over a year ago, when the High sensitivity units weren't available, Today without a doubt I'd go with the Legend Hcx(they don't make a Venture Hcx just a severely limited HC. You are also going to need either Street maps or Topo(for hiking) so figure on an extra $125 or so or look online for free options, hope I helped you.
Mar 28, 2008 by Mark from Jersey
votes
My boyfriend has a Garmin Venture HC that we had been using for geocaching. We both have macs and wanted to update the device so we could upload maps onto it. The firmware update for the software took over 20 minutes and never finished. Since then the device won't turn on at all. We have done every possible thing to make it work and nothing has made a difference. We are now looking at buying a new GPS. Hope this helps even though it really sucks because it was a great GPS device before.
Feb 2, 2010 by A. Goulart
votes
Pablo, I have used mine in Colombia, Argentina and Chile. The accuracy is as good as anywhere else in the world. The map detail deppends on the map itself. In Colombia you can get a map from www.micropartes.com it has good detail but also some errors. In Argentina and Chile the maps are very accurate but I don't know the sources of those maps.
Aug 5, 2008 by Carlos Velasquez
votes
No, GPS systems show only the location of the receiver - they don't "track" people or objects. What you're asking about is called a "PLB" or Personal Locator Beacon, such as this http://www.amazon.com/ACR-Terrafix-406-Gps-Rebate/dp/B001JQ0C20/ or http://www.amazon.com/McMurdo-82-826-004A-Fastfind-Personal-Locator/dp/B000EFAT98/. However, these devices require activation by the user, so they still don't function exactly like you're asking. Now then, "Lojack" does make a product for tracking "at risk" people, such as Alzheimer's patients: http://www.locatorsystemscorp.com/ , but I'm going to assume your brother isn't in that category.
Dec 27, 2008 by R. Blais
votes
Most, if not all GPs units allow for "bookmarking" of sites you are at, as well as entering and saving coordinates for locations you haven't visited yet. Many offer POI's, aka "Point's of interest", and some allow you to upload custom poi lists, such as these http://www.poi-factory.com/taxonomy/term/55, however none of those are specifically geared for ice fishing. As far as which unit to buy, I'd make sure that it's durable & waterproof, or at least water resistant. ;-) Also, I'd suggest a unit that is geared towards marine use, so that it will contain, or at least allow uploads of marine charts or inland lake charts, if that's something that your husband needs for ice fishing.
Dec 27, 2008 by R. Blais
votes
I use mine as a speedometer when trolling on my raft. I also mark waypoints for fishing spots. I've been using it for over 2 years on the raft and for hiking. It is holding up nicely.
Nov 28, 2014 by Big Belly
votes
Mine does not have any type of USB connection for internet access
Sep 1, 2014 by Big Belly
votes
I can only get 5 or 6 topo map sections on this thing. NOT impressed. Sorry I bought one.
Oct 27, 2011 by why me?
votes
votes
Download EasyGPS from Geocaching.com. I download waypoint to my desktop, then to the GPS. I also put them into my Nuvi with the same program. This reply is probably too late to help, but I just saw the question. Wayne Ables
Feb 1, 2012 by Wayne
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers