Questions & Answers
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 219 questions
votes
Yes, you must have a list of saved waypoints -and from those can choose to locate any you want. You may also delete all stored waypoints.
Oct 1, 2013 by Cache
votes
Yes, to retracing your steps or "Track". One of the features of the eTrex20 is "Tracks". It always plots your current track (like dropping bread crumbs). You can go to "Where To?" and select "Tracks" then select "Current Track" then push Menu button and select "Reverse Track". It will guide you back along the route you just took. Another key feature is being able to set Waypoints (and being able to give each a name other than the default non-descriptive number like 001). I suggest you set a Waypoint where your car is, name it "car". The eTrex20 then allows you to use "Where To?" option to route you to the "car" waypoint you set. The unit can be as accurate as within 9 feet depending on the number of satellites it can see. Even inside my house the accuracy is at 25 feet. So without retracing your steps, it will point you to your car. It has a compass that will point you to your car when you are navigating to a waypoint. Much to experiment with. Try these features in a known area first until you feel comfortable with it. Oh yeah, make sure you go to "Setup" then "Routing" then select the "Guidance Method" to be "Off Road" and "Calculate Route for "Pedestrian" and "Lock On Road" to be "No".
May 27, 2013 by John in Baltimore
votes
You can create waypoints and a track which you can easily upload to Google Earth. You can also for example mark a start point and waypoints as you hike and then follow them back so that you don't get lost. Unfortunately, the basemap that comes with the GPS is too large and will not show the detail of a typical topo map. It is quite easy however to download free topo maps that work quite well on the eTrex 20 or 30. Just google "topo maps for Garmin etrex". It is not difficult to do.
Dec 17, 2012 by Mike B
votes
First of all connect your GPS unit to computer. Go to my PC. Then locate your Gps (say drive F:) Look for Garmin File, then look for GPX file. All your caches will be listed. Delete the files and picture files you do not need. Good luck!
Feb 27, 2013 by Alex Pax
vote
No! But I carry an InReach (also sold on Amazon, and at REI and other places) for just that purpose when I'm backpacking. My wife can see where I am, and we can text message each other. There are several models, but I have the one for smartphones, the original model (not the new one). I prefer the original model because you can change the batteries in it. The new one doesn't have a replaceable battery. (The old one is still sold.) I can call for help, and it sends my location every 10 minutes so that my wife can see where I am on her web browser. I get about 5-6 days of backpacking out of a set of batteries, I carry spares, and I turn it off at night. The cell phone needs to be powered off whenever you're not actively using it, or I find my cell batteries will die within a day. But we're using the InReach to do exactly what you want. Note, though, that there's a monthly charge with the InReach. For the features I've described you'll pay at least $140, I think, for the minimum 4-month plan.
Jan 10, 2014 by Alan Mazer
vote
Just got mine a year ago. It is very accurate within it's stated variables. I have two friends with iphones- they are all over the area while my eTrex 20 usually takes me very close, if not right to, the cache. Two thumbs up!!
Jul 26, 2014 by Amazon Customer
vote
P. 7 of Users Manual says you can use alkaline, NiMH, and lithium, preferable the latter two. You must set the device to the type of battery in the System/Setup/Battery type. The manual does not say that the USB connection will recharge rechargeable batteries. I suspect not, but short of calling Garmin Tech Support, it wouldn't hurt to leave the device plugged in overnight to see if the batteries have been re-charged. I have done so with alkaline batteries, but didn't expect them to re-charge. Give it a try with NiMH's after setting the battery type to NiMH and see for yourself. Personally, I prefer to use good alkalines. They last 2 or 3 outings in my kayak and I just replace them.
Oct 12, 2014 by Amazon Customer
vote
eTrex 20/30 2,000 GPX files 2,000 waypoints 5,000 geocaches 200 routes, 250 points per route 200 saved tracks 2,000 archive tracks* 10,000 points per track 100 custom map tiles 250 BirdsEye Imagery files Approximately 3,000 mapping segments
May 11, 2014 by Dino
vote
yep, you just go to mark waypoint on the main menu. It will give you coordinates, elevation, you can comment, and when you save it, it automatically sets the day. To view all the places you've been, just go back to the main menu and go to waypoint manager. There they are!
May 3, 2013 by Kai G
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   22   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers