Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing
Garmin nüvi 1490LMT 5-Inch GPS Can you turn off the advertising in the 1490LMT 5-Inch Bluetooth Portable
asked by Tom D. on April 3, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 answers
A
Try turning off the traffic function. The newer Garmins work that way.
Modilly answered on April 5, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hi - I just purchased a 1490LMT via Amazon and used it on my first trip. Unlike my upper-teenage grandkids, I don't readily catch on how to use new gagits without a good how-to guide. The quick start guide that came with the unit was useless, so I downloaded and printed the owner's manual - that turned out to be nothing more than a quick start guide. I have spent hours searching the FAQs on the Garmin site, but they are very disorganized and difficult to search. Is there a decent "for Dummies" type of book for the 1490 specifaically?
A E AULBACH answered on June 16, 2011
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Two questions I have regarding the 1490LMT

1. What dies Bluetooth really mean?
a. Does this feature merely connect to your phone for hands-free communication?
b. Does this feature allow the unit to work through your Bluetooth ready sound system so that voice commands are heard through the car's speakers?
BobbyG answered on April 8, 2011
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Don't believe everything you read here. I've upgraded maps twice on this device with no problems. There's even a handy program to let you know when it needs upgrading. Three hours is reasonable for the tremendous amount of data to be replaced. It's been a good bargain for us.
Modilly answered on November 7, 2011
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hi - try this link: http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/nuvi_1100_1200_1300_1400_OM.pdf
S. Ovadia answered on July 18, 2011

A
I have found that a map update for my Magellan device, that also included Lifetime Maps for free, ended up costing me $50.
Is there anyone here that has actually updated their 1490LMT with a new map? I am in search of a new nav. device that actually
has a map from this decade in it.-Thanks
BenzDoc answered on August 20, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I just ordered the Nuvi 1490LMT and received it last week. When I registered it on line I also went through the directions to update maps. The entire process took nearly 3 hours but other than that, easy to follow directions and no problems at all, and it didn't cost anything. I haven't had a chance to actually use the device yet.
BClark answered on August 21, 2011

A
The only way to turn off the ads is by turning off the traffic function. I have seen a lot of people complaining about the ads, but they are provided for FREE by commercial radio stations (Clear Channel is the biggest). It's just like listening to the radio. Either we pay for ad free content by getting Sirius or they pay for it thru advertisements. Go to garmin.com to download the manual.
JustJoshing answered on October 13, 2011

A
I really like the Bluetooth feature. I've been wanting a Bluetooth speakerphone for my pickup but the good ones are over a hundred bucks. Since I wanted a GPS anyway, I got the 1490 because it's got the Bluetooth. This is probably the best speakerphone I've ever heard in a vehicle. I'm very happy with it, everyone can hear me really well and don't even realize I'm on a GPS speakerphone. I can hear better with the 1490 than with my cell phone. Pairing was so simple.
Don VHK answered on January 16, 2012

A
I've owned this unit (before "lifetime Maps and Traffic) for about a year and a half now. I've updated my maps approx once per quarter when Garmin makes them available. The updates take a while, but they do, in fact, offer them.

When I got mine I had to purchase "lifetime maps" as an additional option. The units of today are almost all including lifetime map updates as part of the unit.

For the price here on the Gold Box ....... It's a steal! Go for it.
Umpire.20 answered on November 7, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›

See all questions about this product