Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Garmin nüvi 30 3.5-inch Portable GPS Navigator (US Only) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 3, 2011
This unit replaced a Nuvi that was getting very slow in its old age. The technology has changed in five years. First of all the voice says the name of the street rather than just turn left. Second it flashes an aerial picture of the upcoming interchange and shows which lane to be in for the next turn. Third, it cost 99.00 and has completely current maps and points of interest -(fuel, restaurants, parks, etc). Updating the maps with Garmin on an older device costs $69.00. Very satisfied.
on November 18, 2011
I've had several Garmin's so I knew exactly what I wanted. It was important to me to have one that listed the speed limit. My husband had one that did that, and it was really helpful. I like the compact design of this one and when I fail to obey the speed limit, my speed shows up in red as a warning. We've actually had three stolen out of our cars--so word to the wise--when you are not using it, put it up! :) Okay so I learned something new from this garmin: it beeps and lets me know when I am entering an intersection with a red light camera. It also picks up on radar guns too ... it beeps. Pretty cool.
on November 4, 2011
I bought this Garmin Nuvi 30 hoping the new GPS works as well as my old Garmin Nuvi 200. I was so wrong, the Nuvi 30 loads map so slow so that sometime I get black screen when I am existing the freeway.
On the other hand, the speak street name and Lane assist with junction view is a big plus for me.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this GPS to any users unless Garmin fixed their map lag issue.
on November 3, 2011
My new Garmin sticks well to the window shield and doesn't take up too much room. I'm pleased with the way it gives me directions and the computer generated voice, which is quite pleasant. So far it hasn't made any of the mistakes that my previous Garmin did.
on September 19, 2012
I bought this Nuvi 30 in England, but the model has a worldwide warranty. The only difference is that it is preloaded with UK maps; you can purchase US and other regions for it. The unit performs well, was easy to see the screen in all conditions, and the voice volume was good. Although a little spartan in its features, it did a great job navigating us through Southern England, Wales and Southern Ireland. Only one address wasn't correctly routed (oddly, this was to get to the Harry Potter production studio experience just north of London). I really like that the unit always displays the speed limit of the road we are on, in kilometers or miles.

Upon returning to the US, I purchased the US Map upgrade and loaded it onto a mini-SD card (there is not enough memory to load the US map into the device, and no way to delete the UK maps which I won't need again in this unit's lifetime).

The unit worked well for about a week of driving in the US, then mysteriously died. It will power up with the Garmin name on the display, but will go no further. It will respond to a soft reset, but it doesn't resolve the problem. It will not respond to the hard reset feature, nor will it connect to the PC.

Twice I've called Garmin support; once regarding buying the right US map for it, and now for the repair. Each time I am told 30-35 minutes wait time on the phone. I went through the online troubleshooting & repair request process, and the Garmin site determined it must be sent in for a repair. However, after you submit the repair request, you are told that someone from Garmin will contact you via email in 2-3 days.

So, if you don't mind long waits to support, as well as replacing an in-warranty defective device, then you will probably like the Garmin. For me, a device failure + long wait to communicate the problem, and long wait to resolve the problem isn't acceptable, so I will be replacing this unit with a non-Garmin model. I'll send this one in for repair and then keep it for a spare.

One other caveat: when you buy a map for a Garmin unit; the map is registered to that unit and as far as I can tgell, cannot be moved to a different unit (even if the map is compatible with that unit). It will be interested to see how my repair goes since I'm sure the serial number of the unit I get back will be different. Do I send my mini-SD card with the unit and hope they move it to the replacement and re-register the map? I don't have much faith that will work out or I'll get the map back.

UPDATE: I went ahead and called support; got a very friendly and helpful representative. It turns out there is a software bug and a special update available that is not necessary easy to find out about on the support site. It was a little tricky to get the device to be recognized by the computer, and I almost believed this was going to be a waste of time. However, the rep walked me through the update and the unit is now working perfectly! So, although the support process may be a bit slow, I have to say that I am happy with quality of it and have raised the review to 4 stars.
on July 29, 2012
I am happy with my purchase overall, but I feel like it wouldn't have taken much for my experience to have been perfect. The GPS has to be connected to the computer to be registered, but doesn't include the necesary cable. OK, I can do that later. The box says it contains a "quick-start" manual. All I got was a few one-page leaflets. One of them showed screenshots of the Garmin, but didn't explain how to use it. I tried to go online to the website, but until I register/connect to the computer, I can't access specifics. I took it on a test drive and it got me to my destination, the directions were clearly spoken, the screen was easy to interpret and the speed limit feature was helpful. I was able to figure out how to use it for the most part, but there are features I don't know how to use. I don't know how to access the camera feature. I'm sure if I play around with it, I'll figure it out....but why not include an owner's manual?
on December 18, 2012
I bought this GPS for my husband for Christmas 2012....it arrived 12/17 and when I found an extra USB cable and hooked it up to the computer to see if there was any updates and it indicated there were no maps on the device. I went into the device and tried to put in an address and again, it indicated no maps. I called Garmin Customer service and was told per the serial number, this device was one made for sale anywhere in the world and the seller would have the maps to download......but there were none and there was nothing they could do. the seller is AC365.... i then called Amazon Customer Service, they, as always , were fantastic. i was able to return the device, get a refund even before the item went back to Amazon, so I could buy another one before Christmas......they emailed the return label while i was on the phone. Bad experience with seller, great experience with Amazon Customer Service,.
on December 26, 2011
I was surprised to have seen this exact item for sale at a Dollar General store for $55. They had a sale going on for a week I believe. Though I didn't purchase it from Amazon,I know it works great!!!! but I am updating from a 2007 gps.Its just what I needed!
on June 2, 2012
I bought this GPS about 2 months ago. So far it works great and hasn't messed me up much. The screen is small but I have no trouble reading anything on it. I see the small screen as a perk. Less risk of it falling off the windshield or getting in the way of vision.

It would be nice if it had more voice/accent options, but the generic voice is fine for the price.
on December 29, 2013
This Gps is so easy to use with basic functions and it so light! you could put it inside your pocket, it comes multilingual so i had no problem having it in spanish, bought a memory card with Venezuelan Maps and it worked perfectly, so it probably will do with other maps. While Navigating it lost a couple of times the satellital signal, but i guess that is pretty normal on GPS? anyways, its cheap and i like it!