5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent GPS
I have had this GPS for 1.5 months now and it has been excellent so far. I upgraded from my old Garmin Nuvi 885 and my thoughts are below:

Satellite:
Published 20 months ago by Manoranjan

3.0 out of 5 stars adequate, not great
Published 18 months ago by caldebs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent GPS, March 31, 2013
Manoranjan (BETHEL PARK, PA, United States) - See all my reviews

Satellite:
* It is really fast to acquire a GPS satellite. Most of the time in less than a couple of seconds. I took this GPS on a trip to Myrtle Beach from Pittsburgh and it has always been fast in acquiring satellites.

Screen and screen navigation:
* I went with the 4.3 inch over the 5 inch version because I dont really see a reason to pay the extra $20 for an additional 0.7".
* The screen is not as good as the current smart phones but very responsive for a GPS. It is much better compared to my 885.
* The GPS is fast and very responsive. No lags when moving across different screens.

Map updates:
* The map updates are pretty good. I have updated it once now and the process was very smooth.
* This is my first GPS with lifetime maps. I have read reviews of other GPS where people complain about space issues when updating maps. This has 4GB space and the maps take about 2GB so lot of free space for future updates.

Compatibility with garmin mount:
* I had the garmin friction dash mount that I bought for my old GPS and it works perfectly with that. The dash mount is awesome and you can find it here:
Garmin Portable Friction Mount - Frustration Free Packaging

Summary:
An excellent GPS for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one so far, February 22, 2013
This is my 3rd Garmin, the best one I've owned so far. Much better than the 40 LM, which I hated, and my older nuvi that locked up and died after a few years left in the car daily. Meaning, hot and cold killed it, my bad. Its better than my cars service, much better. Its cost is easy to take and it's just enough to make life easier and not enough to break the bank. It speed limit reminder is very helpful, a nice touch. For my needs its perfect. Its clear, clean and user friendly. It sound is great and directions quick and accurate. The online support is very good as is Garmins custormer service. In my mind, for my need of a simple GPS this is the best bang for the buck. There are other higher end GPS units but for me this is perfect hence 5 star. Settings are user friendly and making it more personal is easy. Its size is also perfect for my needs. Reception, so far, has been flawless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly useful with a few quirks, April 11, 2013
B. E. Watts (Rochester, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Bought this, my first GPS, to take on a solo trip where I wouldn't have someone else in the car to read maps or a smart phone to me, and I'm glad I did. Driving around an unfamiliar area, having to find various businesses and locations along the twisty roads of Boston suburbs, it was very useful. If you don't take the turn (either by accident or on purpose) that the device wants you to, it quickly recalculates and gives you a new route. Sometimes found instructions confusing when moving through expressway exchanges at highway speeds, but when I did the wrong thing, as I say, she gave me new directions.
The not so good: Very frustrating out of the box. No manual with the device, of course. When I plugged it in and registered the device, I assumed there would be a link right there to the manual for the device I was registering (wouldn't that make sense?). But no. I found a place to search for manuals on the Garmin web site, but it didn't provide one for my device. Eventually figured out by trial and error how to download and open up the Garmin Express program on my computer, which as it turns out, is where you find a way to download a manual. And once you open up the manual--guess what--there are instructions on how to do what I had just had to figure out how to do by myself to get to the manual. What is wrong with people who design and sell products? Do they want their customers' first experience with their products to be a frustrating waste of time? Does it ever occur to them to hand the box with their product to someone outside the company and say, "here, use this," and see what happens?

One glitch with the actual operation of the GPS: Three times when I have not taken the turn I was instructed to take, the GPS has tried to direct me to turn into a one-way street going the wrong way. Ooops.

But, overall I'm happy with the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improvement over previous model, June 14, 2013
I'd had a nuvi before this one for a number of years. This model has a more user-friendly interface, and they have fixed most of the things that were problematic. It still doesn't have a good way to avoid a specific road in advance (it seems you still can only use the detour button to avoid the stretch of road immediately in front of you.) It didn't take me too long to adjust to the changes they've made, and it's actually easier to operate now. When my old one started failing, I researched Tom Toms and Magellans, too, but decided from all the reviews that I'd be happiest sticking with Garmin. Note that the new model doesn't come with a carrying case like the old ones did, but that hasn't been a problem for me personally. Also, I suggest not keeping whatever GPS you end up buying in your vehicle, as the temperature extremes seem to shorten their lifespan considerably (I know this from others' experiences- I always keep mine in the house so it's never in the other spouse's car when you need it). I like how this model can lay flat on a surface even with the attachment on the back that allows it to attach to the window-suction part. You can set it on the dash for a moment when you need to without it wobbling all around. The speed function is handy, but it's not always correct about the speed limit of the road you're on (if it has changed recently, for example). You should rely on that only when you don't immediately see a sign. The voice speaks less slowly than on previous models, which is good when your turns are coming up fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it so far!, January 28, 2013
I replaced a Garmin 255W with the Nüvi 42LM and am pretty happy so far. It boots fast and scrolls much smoother. It even acquires the satellites quicker. My only complaint, but it is very minor, is that you cannot change the splash screen.

***update: I just did a map update and it was fast and easy and no storage space issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars adequate, not great, June 21, 2013
The Garmin nuvi starts out with good directions, but makes oddball changes in direction sometimes. For example, taking us from a direct 4 lane highway to local streets. When we ignore those directions it does recalculate eventually to the appropriate route. On long trips we backup with mapquest printouts. Still it did save our bacon on a few occasions when we confronted unexpected detours because of accidents, construction and an apparent drug bust in Canada near the border. That one sent us down a gravel road which did turn out to be the best detour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats book and fold-up maps!, March 30, 2013
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 42 4.3-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS (US) (Electronics)
What a convenience! This little unit sticks to the windshield and gets me right to my destination easily with spoken instructions and an uncluttered display. It recovers quickly when I make a wrong turn and gets me back on course. My long distance destinations are saved in the Favorites folder, gas and food possibilities are a few clicks away, and if I just need suggestions for a BBQ joint on a Saturday night it's in there too. Very user-friendly device, I'm glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great GPS, January 25, 2013
I truly like this GPS. Worth every penny. Very accurate and provides advance warning when you need to turn. Images of road match GPS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, a real improvement, June 9, 2013
Lord Jiggy (Lake Arrowhead, CA) - See all my reviews
The lifetime maps alone make this worth the money, but the display has been upgraded such that when you are approaching a turn with multiple options, the image goes split screen to show you what you will be seeing ahead. It's pretty trick.

1.0 out of 5 stars Expected better from Garmin. Look elsewhere., February 8, 2014
Bought a Garmin in 2008 and used it until it stopped working. Great unit. So, naturally when I was going on a trip out of state for business, I bought another Garmin. ( I do NOT have a smart phone)

Paid extra for this one since it has the Alaska maps (I'm there alot), unfortunately, it was driving in the lower 48 that the Garmin couldn't handle.

(Yes, i updated everything before I left)

TEST #1 (Oklahoma City)
So, I check into my hotel, and put "Walmart" into Garmin. Simple enough, I thought. Fortunately I had asked for directions from the hotel lady before I left, but followed the Garmin. Garmin took me to a strip mall about 1 mile away from Walmart.

Garmin record 0 - 1

TEST #2 (OKC)
I wanted to go to a cool restaurant I found online before I left. Garmin took me on a whirlwind trip through the city, and dropped me off right in the middle of the ghetto. Restaurant was no where to be found. While trying to find an exit out of this neighborhood, a prostitute tried to open my (fortunately locked) passenger door.

Garmin record 0 - 2

Garmin shockingly was missing many POI's, and during the course of my trip the record for finding what I asked was about 6 - 3. For a $100+ unit whose only purpose is GPS, this is an unacceptable record. When it did find things, the navigation was often screwy and illogical.

The result of this was me not trusting Garmin's directions, and many times when it was actually correct, I would find my own way anyway because I didn't believe what it was telling me. This made Garmin pretty useless.

The satellite reception was worse than my previous 2008 ver. Garmin. Very touchy. If the thing merely smelled a distant parking garage, it would not work. (i'm exaggerating slightly)

Basically, the thing is mechanically fine, but the maps and decision making are almost worthless. Fewer features than my old Garmin. Very disappointed.

And if you're still wondering, I did NOT unlock the door.