Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Style Name: Base Model (US)Product Packaging: Standard PackagingChange

on March 31, 2013
I have had this GPS for 1.5 months now and it has been excellent so far. I upgraded from my old Garmin Nuvi 885 and my thoughts are below:

* It is really fast to acquire a GPS satellite. Most of the time in less than a couple of seconds. I took this GPS on a trip to Myrtle Beach from Pittsburgh and it has always been fast in acquiring satellites.

Screen and screen navigation:
* I went with the 4.3 inch over the 5 inch version because I dont really see a reason to pay the extra $20 for an additional 0.7".
* The screen is not as good as the current smart phones but very responsive for a GPS. It is much better compared to my 885.
* The GPS is fast and very responsive. No lags when moving across different screens.

Map updates:
* The map updates are pretty good. I have updated it once now and the process was very smooth.
* This is my first GPS with lifetime maps. I have read reviews of other GPS where people complain about space issues when updating maps. This has 4GB space and the maps take about 2GB so lot of free space for future updates.

Compatibility with garmin mount:
* I had the garmin friction dash mount that I bought for my old GPS and it works perfectly with that. The dash mount is awesome and you can find it here:
Garmin Portable Friction Mount - Frustration Free Packaging

An excellent GPS for the price.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2013
This is my 3rd Garmin, the best one I've owned so far. Much better than the 40 LM, which I hated, and my older nuvi that locked up and died after a few years left in the car daily. Meaning, hot and cold killed it, my bad. Its better than my cars service, much better. Its cost is easy to take and it's just enough to make life easier and not enough to break the bank. It speed limit reminder is very helpful, a nice touch. For my needs its perfect. Its clear, clean and user friendly. It sound is great and directions quick and accurate. The online support is very good as is Garmins custormer service. In my mind, for my need of a simple GPS this is the best bang for the buck. There are other higher end GPS units but for me this is perfect hence 5 star. Settings are user friendly and making it more personal is easy. Its size is also perfect for my needs. Reception, so far, has been flawless.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2013
Bought this, my first GPS, to take on a solo trip where I wouldn't have someone else in the car to read maps or a smart phone to me, and I'm glad I did. Driving around an unfamiliar area, having to find various businesses and locations along the twisty roads of Boston suburbs, it was very useful. If you don't take the turn (either by accident or on purpose) that the device wants you to, it quickly recalculates and gives you a new route. Sometimes found instructions confusing when moving through expressway exchanges at highway speeds, but when I did the wrong thing, as I say, she gave me new directions.
The not so good: Very frustrating out of the box. No manual with the device, of course. When I plugged it in and registered the device, I assumed there would be a link right there to the manual for the device I was registering (wouldn't that make sense?). But no. I found a place to search for manuals on the Garmin web site, but it didn't provide one for my device. Eventually figured out by trial and error how to download and open up the Garmin Express program on my computer, which as it turns out, is where you find a way to download a manual. And once you open up the manual--guess what--there are instructions on how to do what I had just had to figure out how to do by myself to get to the manual. What is wrong with people who design and sell products? Do they want their customers' first experience with their products to be a frustrating waste of time? Does it ever occur to them to hand the box with their product to someone outside the company and say, "here, use this," and see what happens?

One glitch with the actual operation of the GPS: Three times when I have not taken the turn I was instructed to take, the GPS has tried to direct me to turn into a one-way street going the wrong way. Ooops.

But, overall I'm happy with the product.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2013
I'd had a nuvi before this one for a number of years. This model has a more user-friendly interface, and they have fixed most of the things that were problematic. It still doesn't have a good way to avoid a specific road in advance (it seems you still can only use the detour button to avoid the stretch of road immediately in front of you.) It didn't take me too long to adjust to the changes they've made, and it's actually easier to operate now. When my old one started failing, I researched Tom Toms and Magellans, too, but decided from all the reviews that I'd be happiest sticking with Garmin. Note that the new model doesn't come with a carrying case like the old ones did, but that hasn't been a problem for me personally. Also, I suggest not keeping whatever GPS you end up buying in your vehicle, as the temperature extremes seem to shorten their lifespan considerably (I know this from others' experiences- I always keep mine in the house so it's never in the other spouse's car when you need it). I like how this model can lay flat on a surface even with the attachment on the back that allows it to attach to the window-suction part. You can set it on the dash for a moment when you need to without it wobbling all around. The speed function is handy, but it's not always correct about the speed limit of the road you're on (if it has changed recently, for example). You should rely on that only when you don't immediately see a sign. The voice speaks less slowly than on previous models, which is good when your turns are coming up fast.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2014
If you don't update the maps, this unit may work for you. But, part of buying a unit with Lifetime maps is updating maps. I downloaded Garmin Express to my Windows 7 system, made sure it was the latest version, and then plugged in my nuvi. When it had finished updating per Garmin Express, I disconnected my unit, put it in the car, and turned it on. Imagine my surprise when it said the detailed maps were missing.

This has now happened on two different Garmin Nuvi 44LM devices. The first device gave up the ghost after I tried twice to update the maps, refusing to stay turned on, and refusing to be recognized by the computer. This second device is still recognized by the computer, but won't function.

After about six hours searching online to see if I could figure out what happened during the update, and after trying several things, I did eventually find a solution to the problem. I won't give this unit more than one star, though, because it should not be as difficult as it was to update the maps.

What I did that finally worked:
1. Plug in the nuvi unit before starting Garmin Express. When Windows discovers trashed files, allow Windows to move those files into another directory.
2. Start Garmin Express as administrator by right-clicking on the Garmin Express icon and selecting "Run as Administrator" in the pop-up window.
3. Reinstall the maps onto the nuvi unit.
4. Wait several minutes after Garmin Express says it's done. Then find the "safely disconnect" icon in the Windows panel and click on it to safely disconnect the nuvi.
5. Now, disconnect the nuvi and make sure the maps are on it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2013
I replaced a Garmin 255W with the Nüvi 42LM and am pretty happy so far. It boots fast and scrolls much smoother. It even acquires the satellites quicker. My only complaint, but it is very minor, is that you cannot change the splash screen.

***update: I just did a map update and it was fast and easy and no storage space issues.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2013
What a convenience! This little unit sticks to the windshield and gets me right to my destination easily with spoken instructions and an uncluttered display. It recovers quickly when I make a wrong turn and gets me back on course. My long distance destinations are saved in the Favorites folder, gas and food possibilities are a few clicks away, and if I just need suggestions for a BBQ joint on a Saturday night it's in there too. Very user-friendly device, I'm glad I bought it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2013
The Garmin nuvi starts out with good directions, but makes oddball changes in direction sometimes. For example, taking us from a direct 4 lane highway to local streets. When we ignore those directions it does recalculate eventually to the appropriate route. On long trips we backup with mapquest printouts. Still it did save our bacon on a few occasions when we confronted unexpected detours because of accidents, construction and an apparent drug bust in Canada near the border. That one sent us down a gravel road which did turn out to be the best detour.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2015
It's a good GPS. I believe the GPS on my iPhone is better but oh well. That's the only reason I gave it a 4 stars. It's not bad at all that's just my personal opinion (about the gps on my phone being better than this GPS). It hasn't lost me so far nor has it messed up. Also, I haven't been to a place where it couldn't read my signal. I read some reviews and saw that it does not come with a manual, first of all, it does, or at least mine did. It also has a link to their website where you can download this program that updates the maps. It comes with car/ home charging cables and a window mount holder. Overall I liked the GPS.
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2013
I bought a new Garmin Nuvi 42 because I need a GPS for work. The device functions. That's all I can say that is good about it. I have spent the last month trying to get ahold of tech support because the device suddenly will not download updates. I now have 3 updates waiting for me to plug in my device. I have yet to reach anyone in tech support to ask why my device suddenly does not update when everything is the same as when i downloaded the origional update when I first purchased the device. I have spent an hour or more on hold multiple times, waiting for someone to answer so I can ask what is wrong. the last 2 times, I got hung up on without talking to anyone. The previous times, I had things to do, and could not wait any longer as I had already been on hold for well over an hour with work to be done. Garmin does not know what customer service is, and needs to start a tech support department that actually answers calls.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse