Top critical review
49 of 49 people found this helpful
Don't update the maps!
on July 29, 2014
If you don't update the maps, this unit may work for you. But, part of buying a unit with Lifetime maps is updating maps. I downloaded Garmin Express to my Windows 7 system, made sure it was the latest version, and then plugged in my nuvi. When it had finished updating per Garmin Express, I disconnected my unit, put it in the car, and turned it on. Imagine my surprise when it said the detailed maps were missing.
This has now happened on two different Garmin Nuvi 44LM devices. The first device gave up the ghost after I tried twice to update the maps, refusing to stay turned on, and refusing to be recognized by the computer. This second device is still recognized by the computer, but won't function.
After about six hours searching online to see if I could figure out what happened during the update, and after trying several things, I did eventually find a solution to the problem. I won't give this unit more than one star, though, because it should not be as difficult as it was to update the maps.
What I did that finally worked:
1. Plug in the nuvi unit before starting Garmin Express. When Windows discovers trashed files, allow Windows to move those files into another directory.
2. Start Garmin Express as administrator by right-clicking on the Garmin Express icon and selecting "Run as Administrator" in the pop-up window.
3. Reinstall the maps onto the nuvi unit.
4. Wait several minutes after Garmin Express says it's done. Then find the "safely disconnect" icon in the Windows panel and click on it to safely disconnect the nuvi.
5. Now, disconnect the nuvi and make sure the maps are on it.