5.0 out of 5 stars Superb GPS Out Performs Units At Twice The Price
Having been born with the dreaded condition NSOD (no sense of direction) a GPS is essential if I'm ever to end up getting to where I need to go. My last GPS was the Garmin 3790 which was excellent - however it froze up and died on exactly the 29th day of use which allowed me 24 hours to return it to Amazon.

As I researched a new GPS I found it more complicated...
Published 8 months ago by Peter Suslock

Published 13 months ago by W. Chef

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb GPS Out Performs Units At Twice The Price, August 6, 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

As I researched a new GPS I found it more complicated than putting the specs together for a computer. Reviews are incredibly mixed on each model. All of them have plenty of pros and no shortage of cons. I decided to call the dedicated number for GPS units on Amazon. And doing so was an excellent experience and one that I highly recommend to anyone frustrated over which unit to buy. Amazon also has consultant Reps for computers, cameras, televisions and so on.

These folks don't work on commission - so there's no vested interest on their part in the recommendations the make it's a zero pressure approach and really an under estimated service - but a very valuable one. After going through the applications I was looking for i.e.: map updates, voice recognition, large screen etc - I was steered to the Garmin 52LM.

At the low price of $145 I was at first skeptical as the 3790T was $300

As I prowled through all the GPS units on Amazon the 52LM had the highest percentage of positive reviews - I was sold.

Quick Specs:

* Speed limit warning

* Junction view

* Emergency Help

* Lifetime map updates

* Custom POIs (points of interest)

* Built-in speaker

Included Accessories;
USB cable
Suction cup mount
Car power cable

This unit offers tremendous bang for your buck, I miss the photographic quality of the street maps of the 3790T but considering how beautifully the 52LM performs it's one issue that's easy to get past. The voice directions are crystal clear, set up is effortless and the large screen really makes an enormous difference.

You can spend more - however if your looking for a solid non problematic GPS that's going to get you to and from where you need to go, warn you of traffic delays, provide alternative routes and is absolutely effortless to set up and update - You'll be hard pressed to find a better GPS at any price.

Highly Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great except bad tech support and way too many "clicks" to get around interface, March 2, 2013
W. Chef "WC" (California, United States) - See all my reviews
Once you are on the road, this thing is awesome. The map guidance is clear, the information on the screen is relevant and timely, and it even tells you what lane you need to be angling for. This is an indispensible part of how I drive. HOWEVER it is unnecessarily painful to enter address information, change settings, etc. The interface for entering an address, for example, proceeds down through screen after screen with a single question on each screen. If you change your mind, you have to click "Back" like 17 times to get out again. This "drill down and back out" pattern is everywhere in the interface and it just sucks. Stuff like that is just bad design and it has not changed for years with Garmin so I don't think they care about it. How hard would it be to put a "back to map" button on each screen? Etc. Convenience is not the main idea here sadly. But still 4 stars for being RELATIVELY awesome! :-)
UPDATE: my Garmin recently broke. It took me 4 emails over a period of 3 weeks, plus two phone calls lasting 20 and 40 minutes each, to finally just get it arranged to ship the thing back for a repair. Garmin's support for device issues is really painful. Just so you know. So now it's 3 stars for having a good device with poor support.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice GPS for the price, August 7, 2013
After much research online and reading reviews here on Amazon I ordered the nuvi 54LM. I wanted the lifetime maps but the traffic alerts on the more expensive models don't seem to be worth it according to the reviews. I bought this to replace my old Garmin Street Pilot 2720. It still works but now takes forever to find the satellites and lock on.

I received this new 54LM yesterday and today took it out for a spin locally to addresses I knew in the area and testing the POI. It worked like a charm and found all places without a hitch. Since it's setup for fastest route by default it wants to stick to major roads. I knew some shortcuts so purposely went a different way a few times. It recalculated quickly and it was refreshing not to hear that annoyed female voice saying "recalculating". It just did it and quickly. In the next few days I'll try it on a longer trip out of the area.

My one complaint, and one that's shared by many, is that there was no manual in the box. Only a quick setup sheet of paper and a thick safety & product information booklet in about 20 languages. They could have included a user manual about the same size in that box. Finding a manual at the Garmin site online was pretty easy. If Amazon keeps the URL here it's at: [...] If Amazon takes out the URL, go to the Garmin site and go to Support. There you can plug in what you need from the dropdown menu's and you'll finally get to a PDF manual for your unit. Then just print it out. For the 54LM the manual is titles "nuvi 42/52 Series Owner's Manual" dated Dec. 2012. Even if you don't have the manual the setup screens are pretty intuitive.

One new feature this unit has that my old one didn't is that when you are on major roads, next to your speed, it shows a little speed limit sign for the road you are on. When your speed exceeds the speed limit the speed numbers change from black to dark red. Might save you a ticket if you are on unfamiliar roads and haven't seen a speed limit sign in a while.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good luck getting it updated, April 29, 2013
Raging(NotAnActual)Buddhist (Baltimore, The Draconian State of Maryland) - See all my reviews
I'm not going to repeat all the praises others have had for this. It's a great unit - until you go to check for map updates. Before you go to buy this, or any Garmin unit, check their forum and any other forum related to GPS navigation. The software Garmin recommends using to update and backup your data simply doesn't work. I thought it could be that I'm on Windows XP (there's no mention of system requirements anywhere on their website) but considering the amount of complaints about the software, I doubt it's an operating system issue. Trying to update through the website is no better. It runs you around in circles, taking you back to previous screens instead of proceeding to find any updates. I tried Firefox, Opera, Chrome and IE to rule out browser issues. No luck with any of them.

This is my second go round with Garmin. A few years back, I paid $100 or so for lifetime map updates for a Nuvi200. The ID number they gave me wasn't recognized. Calling customer support ended with them telling me that that ID number was the only one they could give me because it was already registered to my unit. I asked if I could get a refund. "No - you've been issued an ID. How do we know it isn't working and you're just trying to get your money back?" I told them to check their records for my serial number to see if any updates had been downloaded. "That's not possible, sir." End of story. They have my money, I have an outdated unit that can't be updated.

Having sworn to never buy another Garmin again, imagine the thoughts that went through my head when I received the 52LM as a gift. While I was really grateful for getting it, in the back of my mind I was already thinking about how to break it to my friend that I'd probably want to return it. Garmin didn't let me down. They are definitely consistent in their lack of support and concern for customer satisfaction.

I sent this same story to Garmin and got the typical automated response that included this: "We appreciate your support of Garmin products and look forward to serving you." I actually flipped off the monitor. Hello, Magellan and TomTom!

(Update 5-2-13)
Not surprisingly, the response I got by email said to try the very software that I'd said doesn't work. Compare that with Garmin's opinion of what they are about:

Our Mission:
To be an enduring company by creating superior products for automotive, aviation, marine, outdoor, and sports that are an essential part of our customers' lives.

Our Vision:
We will be the global leader in every market we serve, and our products will be sought after for their compelling design, superior quality, and best value.

Our Values:
The foundation of our culture is honesty, integrity, and respect for associates, customers, and business partners. Each associate is fully committed to serving customers and fellow associates through outstanding performance and accomplishing what we say we will do.

Built to Last:
These 3 simple words describe our products, our company, our culture ... our future. As a leading worldwide provider of navigation, we are committed to making superior products for automotive, aviation, marine, outdoor and sports that are an essential part of our customers' lives.

Our "vertical integration" business model keeps all design, manufacturing, marketing and warehouse processes in-house, giving us more control over timelines, quality and service. Our user-friendly products are not only sought after for their compelling design, superior quality and best value, but they also have innovative features that enhance the lives of our customers.
************

Honesty? User friendly? Service? When are companies going to stop publishing mission statements that don't have anything to do with reality? Probably never. But it'll never change until people demand better. Call 'em out, people! When you see something seriously wrong, call 'em out!

(Update 5-22-13)
To be fair, I've upped the rating to three because the unit itself is really good out of the box. But the inability to update it basically makes this a throwaway as roads change.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lifetime maps is BS, March 26, 2013
Having owned several Garman GPS units over many years, you must be aware that lifetime maps and Gurman terms do not mean lifetime. On two units that I purchased the lifetime maps program, they arbitrarily discontinued any map upgrades without notice

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, March 24, 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I read the reviews of many Garmin's before choosing this one, mostly due to the positive reviews. It arrived with no manual, which is typical of Garmin products. I couldn't find the manual online, called them and followed their directions, still haven't found it.

The voice is very much a flat, computer generated voice, which takes a little getting used to. My old garmin had a much more friendly, natural speaking voice.

I wasn't sure if the device not saying "recalculating" would bother me or not. I'm still getting used to that because without that you don't know if you got off course or not. I do like that it tells you the actual name of the street you are turning on.

The larger screen, which I thought would be easier to see compared to my old one, which has a much smaller screen, really isn't that much better. It seems to reflect alot of glare in the sun, making it a bit hard to see. Also , something I don't like is the keyboard to type in info. After you type in the first letter of the street, it switches to lower case letters (WHY?) and they are harder to see than even the upper case letters on the smaller screen of my old one.

You have to be careful what you touch, seems as if the screen will start changing when you touch anything in the upper right hand corner. Since I haven't been able to get a manual yet, I don't know what that's all about. Then you have to back space to get back to where you were.
Seems to take a bit longer to connect to the satellite than what my old one did, about 5 minutes, so allow time for that if you need to use it right away. My old one would be connected as soon as I turned on the car.

If this is your first GPS, it may be a bit easier to get used to since you have nothing else to compare it to, but after having another Garmin for years, it's been a bit of an adjustment getting used to this one. I'm still in the early stages of using it.

I had researched the other 2 brands, Tom Tom and Magelan (spelling) and I believe Magelan is made by Garmin and they don't seem to be as good from tests that independent people have done on all 3.

I liked the shiny screen of my old one better than the dull screen of this one, like I said, it seems to be hard to see in sunlight. Overall, it's an OK product for the price, but so far I'm not that impressed with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective, 2 units, June 28, 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I returned the 1st one because it could not navigate, it got "lost" enroute and/or the car icon wandered all over, sometimes 1/4 mile off the track. Replacement unit the same and I returned it for refund. I have had previous Garmin GPS units and they have been excellant. Don't buy this one!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 54 LM, March 8, 2013
We bought a Garmin Nuvi 54 LM GPS in February of 2013. I tested the accuracy of it in areas that I knew, as well as in Canada. The machine itself is fine. However, the software makes repeated, serious mistakes. It told me to go north on an interstate when I knew I should go south. It directed me onto a dirt road that was a cul-de-sac in another test. When approaching an interstate, the pink line showed that I should go north AND south. It has serious flaws and if you did not know the roads, you could be in serious trouble. I returned it for a refund. Garmin was very good about the return.
Our old Garmin, which had 2009 maps, did not make these mistakes. It is apparently a problem with the new maps or/and software.

4.0 out of 5 stars First one was DOA, but the exchange was easy and the second one delivered works like a charm!, March 28, 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I had an earlier model but after 4 years the product finally died and it was time for an upgrade....and boy what an upgrade this was!

Unfortunately the first one delivered to me was DOA (Dead on Arrival), but thanks to Amazon's easy replacement policy, I was able to quickly return it and get another one.

This version is so much more sleeker than the old model that I had, and it features a larger touchscreen (5 inches) with larger font that is much easier to read at a glance (especially the arrival time). Living near New York, I always had issues with the satellite connectivity every time I drove into the city with the older version, but with this one I've had absolutely no issues! The lane assist / junction view was particularly helpful on the more confusing interchanges and it automatically appears on the screen as you approach those interchanges as if it reads my mind.

I also like the real time speed indicator, which shows the speed at which I'm driving, though I must say the font turns red if you go even a little faster than the speed limit on the street that you're driving on.

The icing on the cake was Free Lifetime map updates! Thank goodness! You can easily update the map data by connecting this unit to your Mac or PC and syncing the device using Garmin's Express software (easily downloadable from the Garmin website.

Frankly I would have given this product a full 5 stars had the first one worked out of the box, but I do understand that sometimes there are issues and thankfully the good people at Amazon have a quick and painless replacement policy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin POI's, February 28, 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I've only had this for a short time and it seems to work fine. The only problem I see is it won't display the points of interst on the map. Most units have the option of having the POI's on or off the map. This unit doesn't. Not much help from Garmin on this subject.

ARRAY(0xa22c82f4)