Garmin nüvi 50 5-inch Portable GPS Navigator(US) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Style Name: Base ModelProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$115.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 4, 2011
I've been a happy Garmin customer for years, so when I needed a new basic GPS I decided to try their new 2012 line.

The Nüvi 50 is a basic GPS, and worked fine. Easy to use, big and readable screen, I did almost 2000 miles with it and I didn't got lost once. The operation is straightforward and Points of Interest worked fine and are really comprehensive.

At first I wasn't very happy on how the lane assist feature works, but after some time with it I got the hold of it. In fact, I drive better with that disabled, while in some circumstances it can be really helpful in other it adds too much distraction.

IMHO, an ideal GPS for people looking for a simple GPS that does the job.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 11, 2012
Works well except for two baffling errors, one of which is serious.

This is the serious one: at freeway junctions where there is a ramp that later forks into the two opposite directions, as it instructs you to take the ramp, it will only announce the name of the alphabetically first direction. For example, when traveling to SeaTac airport from eastbound SR520, there is one ramp that leads to both north-bound and south-bound I405 and is labeled as north/south I405. The device will instruct you to take the north-bound I405 exit; it does not announce "south", even though that is the correct direction, until the ramp later bifurcates and then at-the-very-last second (when one is already committed to one of the two lanes on the ramp) it switches from telling you to exit north to telling you to exit south. I've encountered this at least three different places, and it's very confusing, and could be dangerous.

The second is just silly. It cannot recognize that "St" is an abbreviation for "street"; instead it tells you, for example, to turn on "eighth ess-tee" instead of "eighth street". Given that "street" is probably the single most frequently used word in navigation instructions, you'd think it would know how to say it.
on July 29, 2012
This item has zero instructions and does not give you a cord to hook it up to your computer to download the maps. I ended up using my camera cord and it worked, but not everyone has this and I think it's ridiculous that they don't give you everything you need to use this item, so charge me $2.00 more. Then when I downloaded everything and am ready to use it I get an error message "No Detailed Maps Found That Support Routing" or "No Map Data Available". Great. So I go back to Garmin's website and they show this error message in Help, but with no answers on how to fix it. When I emailed them, they returned an email on how to fix this (apparently you have to find an unlock code, I'm still unable to find it) and I still can't get it to work. This is obviously a common problem or it wouldn't be on their help page. I'm not a computer whiz, but I'm not computer illiterate either. What a bunch of junk, wish I'd never bought it. I'm so annoyed I could scream. Buyer beware!
on December 4, 2012
I would have previously said this was a good GPS, but after about 3 months of moderate use it will not boot up. I emailed Garmin, and got a reply which said in part "We've discovered a problem with the nuvi 30, 40, and 50 products that in some cases will prevent them from booting up successfully. A software fix has been released that will resolve this issue, please follow the steps below..."
After trying for about an hour I was not able to update the software and the unit is still frozen. Additionally, while they say it comes with a one year warranty, when I tried to fill out the form online to get a return authorization I got this message "At this time, we are unable to process online service requests for this product"
So, I called garmin and was put on hold for 25 minutes and gave up, and that's when I decided to write this honest review of my experience.
Update: I finally got a return authorization from garmin after 3 emails. I have to send them the broken unit and they are going to send out a refurbished one. I just wish it did not take countless hours to resolve this.
I would go for another product or brand next time.
on December 12, 2011
I own Garmin 265 and it has been great. I purchased this one while it's on sale for my girl friend.

Couple things I like:
- 5" screen. It is easier to see the detail on on the GPS. Saves me perhaps half a second looking at the GPS while driving.
- QWERTY keyboard. Even though I am used to the old alphabetical keyboard, it's just so much convenient and natural for me to type on QWERTY keyboard. Which I believe applies to most people.
- Lane assist. I drive in a relatively rural area so it doesn't help much. But when I go to Florida, or urban area that I am not familiar with, it help A LOT,
- Speed limit indicator. Even though some places it does not show, or does not show the correct speed limit. Generally speaking, it is accurate. If you are speeding, your MPH will turn red, to let you know that you went over speed limit.
- Zip code option for entering the city. Rather than typing the whole city name to search through the whole database. A simple 5 digit zip code will be able to pick up the city of your destination.

Couple things I don't like.
- 5" screen. It's big enough to actually block some view sometimes.
- Keyboard lag. Sometimes you thought you don't press hard enough so the letter doesn't show by press multiple times, turns out to be a lag. Then you need to erase the duplicates, and it lags again so you erase too many characters. This did no happen even in 265, not sure why newer model has this issue?

Other than above things I don't like. It's a great GPS.
on December 2, 2011
What a great 5 inch GPS this is... I bought it for under $100, and at that price, you can not beat the quality of this unit. If you don't care about traffic updates (because you should be watching the road in front of you anyway)this is the unit for you. I had a Garmin 255w before this, and this one has a better touch screen, better response to the satellites, and looks very clean.

The only gripe I have is that it didn't come with the little "dash mount disc". I could have used that in my Jeep Patriot for sure.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 27, 2011
I bought this GPS for my mom her her birthday. It was a perfect gift for her because it was easy to use and the display is big. This Garmin is a big improvement to the older Garmin I had in the past. Because of the 5" screen, the display isn't all bunched up. It's easy to read the buttons labels and click on them. There are multiple language selection on both interface text and voice direction. My parents use Chinese ( cantonese ).
on June 30, 2012
This review is for the basic Nuvi 50 without lifetime maps.

The ONLY reason I got the Nuvi 50 basic was because that's what my work would pay for and order for me. Obviously, I would have sprung a few extra bucks to get the Nuvi 50LM which is for LIFETIME MAPS, but beggars cannot be choosers.

I've owned a number of GPS units and I'll try to compare various models to help you decide if the Nuvi 50 is right for you:

My Garmin 1350T versus Nuvi 50
================================
1. My Garmin 1350T means it has traffic updates and re-routing. This is a worthless feature. First, you MUST plug it into your cigarette lighter because the 'Traffic-Update-Antenna' is on the power cord. They don't tell you that if you don't plug it in, that traffic updates won't work. The cable supplied is super thick and you just don't want to travel with it, plus I hear that partial charging of a rechargeable device is not good for battery life.

The Nuvi 50 has no traffic updates, don't worry you aren't missing anything!

2. My 1350T is a 4.3" screen, the Nuvi 50 is a 5" screen. I don't notice a remarkable difference, but if it means I spend half a second less focusing on the GPS screen while driving, then of course that is worth it. Bigger is better when it comes to GPS screen size.

3. Neither has bluetooth, which I specifically did NOT want, so don't pay extra for functionality you already have or don't need. I'm perfectly fine with a stripped down Nuvi 50 (no traffic, no bluetooth)

Tom Tom vs Garmin:
====================
Garmin usability wins hands down. Might be a preference thing, but I suppose I am now just loyal to Garmin and most comfortable with using them.

Garmin Mobile XT, Nokia Drive, Bing Maps, Google Maps/Smartphone vs a standalone Garmin:
=========================================================================================
I've now flown some 580k miles. A standalone Garmin GPS is always part of my travel-bag even though my phone has an excellent GPS and software. No smartphone software I've used has come close to matching all the benefits of a standalone GPS. The main reason for me though, is all of my contact info is in my phone (and laptop), and if I need to speak with a customer, the phone GPS and software stop speaking or displaying while in a call; this is not good while you are driving to the customer site! Also, when you travel as much as I, your phone is not always going to be fully charged; anything you can do to preserve your phone battery (ie. by not using the GPS) will always benefit you, ala - a standalone GPS, especially when you realize your phone is on its last bar.

My gripes about the Nuvi 50, over older Garmin models:
========================================================
1. Junction view should be able to be toggled off (please comment if you can turn it off!). With Junction View, you see the actual "Road Sign" of your exit, but it does so by splitting your 5" screen in half, one to show "Lane Assist" and the other half to show "Junction View". So what does that mean?? It means your 5" GPS screen now becomes a 2.5" GPS screen that you actually spend more time staring at trying to see how much longer before you have to exit. This is one of the primary reasons I removed 1 star; Junction View is simply not as useful as just having Lane Assist to tell you which lane you should be in. Who cares what the Junction sign looks like, I have the Garmin telling me what lane to be in, what the name of my exit is, plus I can read! ;-) The 1350T only has Lane Assist, and I actually prefer that. I would still be using my old 1350T if it wasn't for the fact that the maps are out of date and a map update was 90% the price of a brand new GPS. (Again, there's no reason you would not want to get the Nuvi 50LM - lifetime maps! The first map update will pay for itself... I only got the basic Nuvi 50 because Work wouldn't order the LM for me!)

2. No more "Recalculating" announcement. I want to know when I've made the mistake for future reference versus never knowing, because it just continues giving you directions, even if you're driving in a circle - you just never know where you were messing up...

3. Haven't found a way to turn off the GPS and turn it back on to force it to find satellites like you can on the 1350T. This is a problem because indoors the Nuvi 50 gets into a "GPS OFF" mode, whereas, when I'm in a high-rise hotel, if I leave my 1350T near the window and force the satellite refresh, I can see the "calculation time" of when I'll arrive at the customer site, so I can prepare for the next morning. With the Nuvi 50, I just don't know when it is or is not trying to find satellites, therefore I cannot see how long it will take to get to the customer site the night before. This is another primary reason I took the 1-star off, it has made me less aware and productive.

Improvements I see in the Nuvi 50 over older Garmin models:
=============================================================
1. Volume and voice quality is improved. The 1350T could get very "tinny" and harsh at 100% volume. The Nuvi 50 volume is excellent and clear at all volume levels.

2. GPS satellite-finding seems to be faster.

3. Battery life seems to be almost double the 1350t, but then again, it may be due to the age of the 1350t (though Garmin told me that lithium-ion has no battery-memory effect).

4. This one is a 5" screen.

OVERALL SUMMARY:
==================
1. Get the Nuvi 50 LM (lifetime maps!) at the very least.
2. Get this model if you do not care for traffic updates (worthless in my experience and I travel all over the country - more times than not, you won't even get the traffic updates; and you will never get traffic updates unless you plug in the bulky antenna)
3. Get this model if you do not care for bluetooth, which I don't think a Garmin is superior for bluetooth phone calls versus a Ford Sync or other purpose-built Jabra, Parrot, SuperTooth, Motorola type unit.
4. Get this model if you want a 5" screen versus a 4.3"
5. If you hate the Junction View, you might consider a model that does not have that or can be toggled to off.

Happy Directions!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
In retrospect, would have opted for the unit with the lifetime map upgrades. Maps upgrades from Garmin are exorbitantly priced.
on December 27, 2011
The Garmin Nuvi 50 is replacing an older and smaller Garmin GPS.
Positive points about this product:
I love the large 5" color screen
Lets you know your current speed
Tells you the speed limit on the road your traveling
Lets you know the time of arrival at your destination
Shows you in advance, name of the street where you will turn and the turn direction
Indicates how many miles before turning
Woman's voice also tells you the above information.
Color screen shows you the road ahead and names all the side streets
Easy to navigate through the menu
Very easy to enter an address.
Has a vast selection of interests already stored in the data base
Has addresses for the entire U.S.A.
There are many more positive points, this will end my review.
Price at Amazon is very reasonable
My recommendation, BUY IT, YOU'LL LOVE IT!