4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing lack of frizz and straightening maintained even in humidity
FOLLOW UP - after 7 washes -

I posted my first review below after just a few washes. I've now completed the full seven washes and also tried air drying a few times. I've dropped by one star mainly b/c no matter what I did, I did not see much of a reduction in blow dry time, which was a promised effect. However, even at 7 washes, air drying on a humid day,...
Published on August 24, 2010 by Patent Mom

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT - IT WILL RUIN YOUR HAIR
I wish I read reviews b/f I used this product.... It is completely awful and damaged my hair beyond repair. It is so damaged and fried that it won't even dry. I am left with an entire head of clumps of hair that look like fried wet cotton balls. I have cut as much as I can off it however, it is damaged less from a 1/4 inch from the roots and downward.
If that...
Published on September 5, 2010 by Mae Doe

‹ Previous | 120 21 2226 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars blow dry serum, August 26, 2010
This review is from: Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Blow Dry Perfector, 1 Kit (Health and Beauty)
I bought this through a local Ulta store but since I live on Amazon I wanted to see others peoples review of this product. I have to say I freaked out a bit because as I was reading the other reviews I had the smelly serum on my hair. I have to say it does smell as bad as or worse as a home perm. I don't think any of the other reviews indicated if they used the whole bottle or not but I have to say I am pleased with the results I obtained. My hair is shoulder length and fine but I still have a hard time getting a sleek look with a flat iron. I chose to only use about 1/4 of the bottle of serum...and now am thankful I did as based on the other reviews had I used more it might have turned out bad. I kept hearing that age old advice "less is more" so proceeded with caution. My advice to anyone who hasn't tried it yet but would like to..start out with less product and see how that turns out.

Update: 5/21/11
I just used this product again and I like it. It works for me, makes my hair straighter, more manageable, shiny and soft. I feel really bad for all the ladies that are having problems. I can say I still won't use the whole bottle on my hair. I only use about 1/4 to 1/3 and that works for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read directions and you'll be fine, August 2, 2011
Just a fore-warning. Don't use this product if you've had your hair relaxed with no-lye or lye product in the past year. If your hair is not healthy (and not according to YOUR standard, ask your stylist), don't use this product. If you have wavy hair, don't use product. There's a picture on the back of the box stating what hair you can use it on. USE THIS AS A GUIDE. Wavy hair could possibly be damaged using this. Picture Hallie Berry hair and you're fine.

Usually, I don't write Amazon reviews, because the products I buy on here are ones that I don't want to pay a ton of $$ for in stores. I bought this at my local Shaws at 50% off, so around $5.

I used this last night and decided, while I was waiting for my hair to dry after I washed the serum out of my hair, to take a look at reviews.

I was immediately scared. I read all these reviews about how bad it was for your hair, how damaged it made seemingly healthy hair and I was immediately worried. I have healthy hair, my stylist often says she wishes people took care of my hair as I do. But, I figured, there's no turning back. So I completed all the steps and was pleasantly surprised at how NICE my hair looks.

First, a few facts about my hair. I have type 3B curly hair, dark brunette that lightens when in sunshine for a couple hours. It's a long-layered reverse bob. My hair is frizzy during the summer, no matter what Ouidad I buy. I treat my hair as if it was a child, a very stubborn child. I use little to no products in my hair and only use products formulated specifically for curly hair. This includes, but is not limited to, the Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine line, Tresemme foam-activated dry shampoo, Ouidad products and Dove Intense Moisture.

My hair's drying time didn't die down a whole ton, maybe five or more minutes. But the time it took to regularly straighten my hair was practically cut in half. As I said, I did it last night, so I basically fell asleep a little afterwards and woke up late. LATE and I had to straighten? Usually, I'd just throw it up in a ponytail, but as I ran my straightener through my hair, I was relieved (and surprised) to find that it didn't take long at all. I usually don't straighten my hair, not on a regular basis anyway (the last time I did was in early May). So, I decided to tell you all how I used this product:

1.) Shampooed my hair, didn't condition. Threw it into a turbi-towel but didn't actually towel-dry (as that is HORRIBLE for curly hair). Instead, I left in my turbi-towel while I brushed my teeth/got dressed, etc. then I took it out and let it air dry.

2.) Put on those gloves and carefully put the serum into my hair. I practically got none on the scalp, I used the ponytail method to distribute it, then while I had little to no serum in my hair, would rake my hair back with my fingers. I definitely didn't use all the serum, maybe 3/4 of the bottle (I have very thick hair).

3.) Rinsed my hair out with lukewarm to warm water for a good ten minutes. Threw it up in another turbi-towel and took it down ten minutes later to air dry. BONE DRY is how you want it.

4.) Ran the lock-in moisture serum throughout my hair. It says to lightly coat it, so I did. I definitely only used a little less than half the bottle. Wondering if I could use it again after a couple washes. DO NOT use any other product with this. Don't use a heat-tamer spray or anything else. IT WILL RUIN YOUR HAIR. This product is made to act like all these.

5.) MOST IMPORTANT: You have to dry your hair before straightening. If you don't own a straightening attachment already, go out and buy one. I got mine with my Conair hair-dryer along with the diffuser. It directs the airflow into a vertical rectangle. That's what you want. You wont' get the same results without this attachment.

6.) After you blow-dry your hair completely, take your trusty flat-iron to it. As always, run it through small sections from top to bottom, not moving too quickly. it took me 1-2 tries on each section to get it to the desired 'straightness.'

Poof, you're done! If you don't want to 'poo' your hair the next day, use some skinny serum (aka: Paul Mitchell's Skinny Serum, a must have for any curly-girl's shelf) and run it through your hair. I used two pumps of it each for the right side, left side, and back. Then I ran my straightener through and sprayed my hairbrush with my anti-humidity spray (Garnier's is the best) and ran that through. Again, very straight and manageable. No more of this having to practically re-straighten my hair mid-day through to get it sleek.

My hair isn't damage, it's smooth and soft. My mother's already commented on how much better it looks compared to the regular straightening.

The reason I give this four stars? The serum STINKS and it's a bit of a long process. (You figure 20 minutes for the serum, 20 for blow-dry, and 30-45 for straightening tacks it to about 1.5 hours thereabouts).

Otherwise, i really like it. I might buy one more and keep it around until the holidays. But, so long as you stick to directions you should have no problem. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for me, April 28, 2011
Kawena (Honolulu, HI, US) - See all my reviews
I don't normally review things on Amazon but I kinda felt like I should stick up for this product since it worked fine for me. It's been about a week since I've used it in my hair and I haven't really noticed anything bad. The box says that it's one application but I only used the half the bottle, maybe that was why I didn't have a negative reaction? I live in Hawaii and humidity is always a problem but after I put this in my hair, it was pretty smooth and shiny, looking even better after I flat-ironed it. I went to the beach twice and it didn't turn my hair green or dry it out, I even let it air dry (which I almost never do) and my hair was much more tamer than usual.

The obvious downside is the stench, it smells SO BAD...like an old lady perm. Definitely taking away a star for that! The smell lingers a little bit but after two or three washes, it went away. I also noticed that it didn't cut back my drying time, like it claims it does. I'm taking away another star because based on the other reviews, I'm not sure I would recommend this product to my friends. It seems like it has varied results and I wouldn't want to take the risk. Do a strand test before applying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked this Product!, September 22, 2010
Marie (BOISE, Indonesia) - See all my reviews
Maybe it's a good thing I did not read the reviews before I tried this product! My hair is chemically colored, blonde, midlength and thin & tends to break somewhat easily. (I am 55 years old). I am on my third washing and my hair is soft, silky and straight WITHOUT using the flat iron. (I try to avoid heat on my hair as much as I can). We wash with (non-softened) well-water and usually my hair is dry and frizzy after washing! Now my hair feels thicker and reminds me of my 19 year old daughter's hair after she returns from the salon. However, I did NOT use the entire contents of the first tube (the directions did not say to use the entire tube) so I used just enough to saturate my hair (about 1/2). It was smelly but not unbearable. The second tube seemed to "neutralize" the odor and then my hair smelled pretty good.

I would definately buy this product again!

4.0 out of 5 stars NO FRIZ!!, August 18, 2010
I bought this product today and I was very excited to try out. I have shoulder-length hair that is very thick and has tons of body. After using 1/2 of each bottle (i didnt need the full contents), I already saw a huge difference. The product made my hair a little less curly (i still have to straighten) but the amazing thing was that there was absolutely NO frizz at all!!! ( && my hair is much more shiny) Would definitely buy again!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Product works great - IF you follow the directions!!!, January 4, 2011
I bought this product to use over the Christmas break because I knew it would be humid, and snowing, and we'd be staying inside a lot and the air would be very dry, and my hair would be super frizzy.

So, I bought the kit, washed my hair (did not use conditioner), towel dried it, ran a big comb through it to get out all the tangles, and did Step 1. The people complaining about the smell are exaggerating. I've used self-tanners that smelled worse. It is nowhere near the smell of my hair color. Anyway, I used just enough product in Step 1 to lightly coat all of my hair. My hair is one length and falls to the middle of my back. It is fine, but thick and I used roughly 1/2 of the bottle. Then I came out of the bathroom to surf the web for 20 minutes. I got here and read all the negative reviews and was scared to death. All I could think was "what if my hair falls out, what if it strips my color, what if I have a big greasy mess?" I'd already began the process, so when my 20 minutes was up I went into the shower and thoroughly rinsed my hair with warm water. I towel dried it and to my delight, my hair was not falling out and my color did not wash out. My hair did feel "too clean" though. Like when you wash with a clarifying shampoo and forget to use conditioner. So then I moved on to Step 2. Again, combed the tangles out of my hair and only used enough product to lightly coat my hair. I would use an amount of the creme similar to the amount of lotion you'd use on your hands, and I did this about 5 times. I have a little more than 1/2 of that bottle left, also.

Last, I blow dried my hair. It was super soft and super straight. No excess breakage, no greasy mess, and no color loss with gray hair showing. I then flat ironed it and applied a dab of Frizz-Ease and took off. I'm on day 3 now and I can tell you the following:

1. My hair is still straight, soft, and frizz-free
2. My hair is sort of shiny and not greasy
3. No hair has fallen out
4. No hair has broken off
5. No color has washed out

I am a real person, not affiliated with Garnier and not a cosmetologist. I color my hair every other month with the Clairol Nice N' Easy hair color (I get Perfect 10 if it's on sale). My hair is fine, but there is a lot of it. It has a natural wave and frizzes like crazy when it is humid or even if it is windy outside. You can email me at anniewalker@yahoo.com if you would like.

I sincerely believe that the people who had issues are people who did not follow the directions. They applied the product to dry hair, applied too much, tried to comb through wet and tangled hair too vigorously, or left it on too long. I don't review every product I try, but in this case I was so freaked out by all the negatives, I had to chime in with my very positive experience. Peace.

1.0 out of 5 stars Perfector??...More like DEFECTOR! :(, January 30, 2013
Palimino (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I am currently 14 years old, and I have really healthy hair. That is because I have only switched to Suave and Nexxus products only. I have literally tried EVERY Garnier Fructis hair care product on the market today, from their Sleek and Shine line, Body Boost, Length and Strength, Daily Care, Fall Fight, Moisture Works, Triple Nutrition, Hydra Recharge, and all of their other products such as their hair serums, hairsprays, mousses etc....yep, you name it, Iv'e tried it. All of my attempts to try Garnier products have all resulted in greasy, grimy, dull, flat, and damaged messes, that, thankfully, I was able to fix without trouble. When I saw this "Sleek and Shine Blow Dry Perfector", on television, and in my Seventeen magazine, I decided to give the Garnier company another chance to prove itself useful. This was the most stupidest, and unnecessary decision that I have ever made in my life. Perfector??..haha!..you must work for the company iself, as this was FAR from perfection. Number one, the serum and cream in this set smells like a burnt rubber car tire that has skidded on the ground....oh my god, even my dog ran out of the bathroom, because, she happily wanted to observe what I was up to, but, then caught a whiff of that....stuff, and hightailed it out of there at full breakneck speed. This made my normally straight, thick hair a frizzy, matted, horrid, tangled mess. It actually looked like I got struck by a huge lightning bolt. Even worse, the next day, I had to go to school! The kids in my class threw snooty remarks and taunts at me the whole school day. Here is what my best friend said to me.

"Using Garnier again, I see."
"I know...I tried that Sleek Blow Dry Perfector Kit thing..."
"You WHAT?!"
"Yes, yes, I did."
"What sick, twisted soul made you try that?"
"The crummy infomercial on TV"
"You are so gullable, It amazes me"
"Please, don't remind me..."

It took me A WEEK AND A HALF to get my hair back into its normal, healthy state again. It only took what...seven deep conditioning treatments, two oil treatments, and three visits to my hairstylist during that time to repair my hair. And, the worse part is, that, I did a little research on this product, and I am not the only person that had this problem. Here are some reviews from Makeupalley.com:

christinaking on 9/2/2012 6:49:00 PM More reviews by christinaking

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is def the worst product I have ever used! It is funny how some reviewers are repeating what the box states...It says to wait 2 weeks after coloring your hair, then elsewhere it says that if your hair is treated in any way, to not use it! It does no good to repeat the same bs twice, it doesn't make sense the 2nd time either.
I used this on my hair a few months ago which happened to be just before my wedding. For the first time ever, the ends of my hair were just breaking off. I would brush my hair and have all these short pieces of hair all over my clothes....and this is still happening, even after a trim. My hair became dry and thin as well. Now it is almost back to normal but the people producing this stuff should spend more energy on taking it off the market and less on writing phoney reviews that just sound ridiculous....ps: it does not make it more believable to write "like" in a review to make it sound as if as 18 year old wrote it. Like, you know what I mean??
DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT

1 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Did you?
agonzalez077 on 7/15/2012 2:33:00 PM More reviews by agonzalez077

I used this product on my very healthy hair and it completely damaged it INSTANTLY. My hair completely changed after using this product. I tried so many treatments for a few weeks to try to restore my hair but nothing worked. So yesterday I had to get 7 inches cut off because of what this product did to my hair! I am completely disappointed with Garnier and I will honestly think TWICE before I buy another product of theirs.

3 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you?
Kittyvader on 6/22/2012 5:32:00 PM More reviews by Kittyvader

This stuff is terrible. Did this treatment a year ago and completely ruined the ends of my hair, turned the ends into a frizzy kinky mess that I couldn't even get to straighten and look normal. My ends began to fall off.. I was forced to cut a few inches off my hair that was already shoulder length.. My hair is still not the same.. I regret using this so much.. Please be careful using this..
chynadholl on 3/28/2012 6:01:00 AM More reviews by chynadholl

This stuff is horrible! DO NOT USE! I used it before reading reviews and it made my beautiful, thick, long hair extremely dry and thin/stringy. I had to cut some of it off and use a lot of repair treatments in the salon and at home. It's been a year and a half and my hair is still not the same. I can't wait for all of it to grow out. This product really needs to be taken off the market.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you?
3 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you?
becsterrob on 11/16/2011 9:39:00 PM More reviews by becsterrob

I bought this tonight but decided to do some checking up on it before I used. With as bad as all of these are, I'm sooooooo glad I read the reviews first. I am NOT going to be using it!!

lyldancechickxo on 9/28/2011 6:00:00 AM More reviews by lyldancechickxo

HORRIBLE PRODUCT! DO NOT BUY THIS!
I started out really excited to use the product. If you read the box it sounds like it would be perfect for someone who has thick wavy frizzy hair like myself. I opened up the package and put in the 20 min smooth it serum, it smelled horrible. it made my whole bathroom and parts of my other house reek. After i opened it and smelled it, i should have stopped myself but the directions stated that it was going to smell. Then i waited the 20 minutes and put in the heat activated perfect it cream and i thought well at least it smells better and i was happy again. Then I started to blow dry it, my hair felt horrible. It wasn't smooth or silky like they said it was going to be. It was kind of ruff and it still smelled. I ended up just finishing it and then i straightened it with a flat iron. It still smelled and I was not happy. I did this all last night, this morning I washed my hair today and it still smells. I can't wait for these 7 washes to happen ASAP! Total waste of money and my time. I should have came on a website and read reviews. It seems everyone is hating it. They need to take it off the shelves. My hair wasn't ruined, at least not yet =/ I hope everyone who reads this, I change there minds about buying this. Just using good shampoo and conditioner and a hair protection serum is the best. I am never trying another product like this. I just bought this because i thought it would be more manageable for my hair and i wouldn't have to spend over an hour doing my hair. This product is crap.
JUST DONT BUY IT! SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Hahaha! Smoothing kit??..More like Frizzing kit!
Please, I beg you, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Garnier, in my opinion, is the worst hair care company out on the market today. That's final.

4.0 out of 5 stars ARE PEOPLE SEEING A PATTERN HERE?, December 31, 2010
Ok, here's the deal. People seem to either LOVE or HATE this product and after reading the reviews and trying it for myself, I'm beginning to get a sense that it works better on people that already had damaged, frizzy hair. Those that reviewed it negatively typically mention that they once had "gorgeous" hair that is now "ruined". I am the total opposite. After years of brittle, damaged hair and trying EVERYTHING on the market ($1 to $500 dollars!) to fix it, this is the FIRST THING THAT'S WORKED FOR ME! I know the package says NOT to use it on damaged hair but I tend to experiment a lot and figured "what else do I have to lose- it cant get much worse at this point!" I have to say, for me the product did everything it promised and more. My once "Weird Al Yankovic" looking hair is now straight, shiny and getting lots of positive attention from those that know my hair woes well. It's even become healthier and stronger This is coming from a girl so obsessed with curing her damaged hair that she clips split ends before bed at night- I know what my hair looks like up close! :) The catch is that my hair was NEVER HEALTHY TO BEGIN WITH and this IMPROVED ITS HEALTH AND TEXTURE. From reading other people's reviews, this product doesnt seem ideal if you have healthy hair already. So please read my review with that in mind...good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, not for everyone, December 8, 2010
I bought this at my local Walgreens without reading the reviews first. I used it and my hair hasn't felt this soft since I was 8 years old. JEEZZZ I can't belive all the awful reviews!
I have hair to my shoulders that is extremely coarse and brittle due to constant color treatments. Also I'm part Native American and mostly Caucasion so I suppose my hair's texture could be a little bit different than most caucasion women.
My advice is to not use this product unless you have thick damaged hair, since that's what its meant for and says so on the box. Some of the one star reviews came from people who said they're hair was perfect beforehand and damaged afterwards. Also some of them said that they have thin hair. Only use this if your hair is thicker in body or coarser.
The other trick is that you have to blow-dry it for a loooooooooong time. When you think you're done blow drying...keep going. Most women only blow-dry their hair until is is reasonably dry. With this product you have to blow-dry it about twice as long as you normally would. Then flat iron it until it is perfectly straight.
I put the serum on for thirty minutes (as directed if you have stubborn hair) and followed the rest of the directions to the tee. IT REALLY REALLY WORKS to soften your hair and make it way more manageable but it takes a lot of work (still easier than coloring your hair though). For people who should be using this product, it works fantastically. I worked at a salon for a while and nothing is this cheap and effective.
As most people mentioned, the serum does smell. I wouldn't do this before company was going to come over because it did linger in my house for a few hours. But it's really not unbearable, just unpleasant. Also nothing in this kit stains which is great for clumsy people like me.

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this product!, January 16, 2013
Misty (Franklin,TN) - See all my reviews
I cannot believe I see so many negative reviews for this product because I absolutely love it. No you cannot expect to use this and NEVER have to flat iron again but then when I spent hundreds of dollars on a salon brazillian straightner, not only did I lose hair, I still had to flat iron each and every day to style my hair! I have naturally wavy hair, not course or curly but still very wavy. I have found what this product does do for me is it decreases the amount of time a flat iron has to be on my hair, therefore, decreases the damage to my hair. I have such dry hair from coloring, etc that I only shampoo my hair twice a week so this product will last for me easily a month or longer. No it's not a perfect cure for curly/wavy hair, but then I have not found anthing that is. It does smell horrible when you apply it, the same smell as a permanent, but that is temporary. I buy this now on a regular basis at my local Walgreens, often find it on sale and double up when it is on sale. All I can say is every person will always have their own experience with any product, and you will have to try it for yourself. The good news is, that for me anyway, my hair has NEVER been damaged from using this, unlike other hair relaxers and straighening products I have used.

‹ Previous | 120 21 2226 | Next ›