Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on January 30, 2013
I am currently 14 years old, and I have really healthy hair. That is because I have only switched to Suave and Nexxus products only. I have literally tried EVERY Garnier Fructis hair care product on the market today, from their Sleek and Shine line, Body Boost, Length and Strength, Daily Care, Fall Fight, Moisture Works, Triple Nutrition, Hydra Recharge, and all of their other products such as their hair serums, hairsprays, mousses etc....yep, you name it, Iv'e tried it. All of my attempts to try Garnier products have all resulted in greasy, grimy, dull, flat, and damaged messes, that, thankfully, I was able to fix without trouble. When I saw this "Sleek and Shine Blow Dry Perfector", on television, and in my Seventeen magazine, I decided to give the Garnier company another chance to prove itself useful. This was the most stupidest, and unnecessary decision that I have ever made in my life. Perfector??..haha!..you must work for the company iself, as this was FAR from perfection. Number one, the serum and cream in this set smells like a burnt rubber car tire that has skidded on the ground....oh my god, even my dog ran out of the bathroom, because, she happily wanted to observe what I was up to, but, then caught a whiff of that....stuff, and hightailed it out of there at full breakneck speed. This made my normally straight, thick hair a frizzy, matted, horrid, tangled mess. It actually looked like I got struck by a huge lightning bolt. Even worse, the next day, I had to go to school! The kids in my class threw snooty remarks and taunts at me the whole school day. Here is what my best friend said to me.

"Using Garnier again, I see."
"I know...I tried that Sleek Blow Dry Perfector Kit thing..."
"You WHAT?!"
"Yes, yes, I did."
"What sick, twisted soul made you try that?"
"The crummy infomercial on TV"
"You are so gullable, It amazes me"
"Please, don't remind me..."

It took me A WEEK AND A HALF to get my hair back into its normal, healthy state again. It only took what...seven deep conditioning treatments, two oil treatments, and three visits to my hairstylist during that time to repair my hair. And, the worse part is, that, I did a little research on this product, and I am not the only person that had this problem. Here are some reviews from Makeupalley.com:

christinaking on 9/2/2012 6:49:00 PM More reviews by christinaking

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is def the worst product I have ever used! It is funny how some reviewers are repeating what the box states...It says to wait 2 weeks after coloring your hair, then elsewhere it says that if your hair is treated in any way, to not use it! It does no good to repeat the same bs twice, it doesn't make sense the 2nd time either.
I used this on my hair a few months ago which happened to be just before my wedding. For the first time ever, the ends of my hair were just breaking off. I would brush my hair and have all these short pieces of hair all over my clothes....and this is still happening, even after a trim. My hair became dry and thin as well. Now it is almost back to normal but the people producing this stuff should spend more energy on taking it off the market and less on writing phoney reviews that just sound ridiculous....ps: it does not make it more believable to write "like" in a review to make it sound as if as 18 year old wrote it. Like, you know what I mean??
DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT

1 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Did you?
agonzalez077 on 7/15/2012 2:33:00 PM More reviews by agonzalez077

I used this product on my very healthy hair and it completely damaged it INSTANTLY. My hair completely changed after using this product. I tried so many treatments for a few weeks to try to restore my hair but nothing worked. So yesterday I had to get 7 inches cut off because of what this product did to my hair! I am completely disappointed with Garnier and I will honestly think TWICE before I buy another product of theirs.

3 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you?
Kittyvader on 6/22/2012 5:32:00 PM More reviews by Kittyvader

This stuff is terrible. Did this treatment a year ago and completely ruined the ends of my hair, turned the ends into a frizzy kinky mess that I couldn't even get to straighten and look normal. My ends began to fall off.. I was forced to cut a few inches off my hair that was already shoulder length.. My hair is still not the same.. I regret using this so much.. Please be careful using this..
chynadholl on 3/28/2012 6:01:00 AM More reviews by chynadholl

This stuff is horrible! DO NOT USE! I used it before reading reviews and it made my beautiful, thick, long hair extremely dry and thin/stringy. I had to cut some of it off and use a lot of repair treatments in the salon and at home. It's been a year and a half and my hair is still not the same. I can't wait for all of it to grow out. This product really needs to be taken off the market.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you?
3 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you?
becsterrob on 11/16/2011 9:39:00 PM More reviews by becsterrob

I bought this tonight but decided to do some checking up on it before I used. With as bad as all of these are, I'm sooooooo glad I read the reviews first. I am NOT going to be using it!!

lyldancechickxo on 9/28/2011 6:00:00 AM More reviews by lyldancechickxo

HORRIBLE PRODUCT! DO NOT BUY THIS!
I started out really excited to use the product. If you read the box it sounds like it would be perfect for someone who has thick wavy frizzy hair like myself. I opened up the package and put in the 20 min smooth it serum, it smelled horrible. it made my whole bathroom and parts of my other house reek. After i opened it and smelled it, i should have stopped myself but the directions stated that it was going to smell. Then i waited the 20 minutes and put in the heat activated perfect it cream and i thought well at least it smells better and i was happy again. Then I started to blow dry it, my hair felt horrible. It wasn't smooth or silky like they said it was going to be. It was kind of ruff and it still smelled. I ended up just finishing it and then i straightened it with a flat iron. It still smelled and I was not happy. I did this all last night, this morning I washed my hair today and it still smells. I can't wait for these 7 washes to happen ASAP! Total waste of money and my time. I should have came on a website and read reviews. It seems everyone is hating it. They need to take it off the shelves. My hair wasn't ruined, at least not yet =/ I hope everyone who reads this, I change there minds about buying this. Just using good shampoo and conditioner and a hair protection serum is the best. I am never trying another product like this. I just bought this because i thought it would be more manageable for my hair and i wouldn't have to spend over an hour doing my hair. This product is crap.
JUST DONT BUY IT! SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Hahaha! Smoothing kit??..More like Frizzing kit!
Please, I beg you, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Garnier, in my opinion, is the worst hair care company out on the market today. That's final.
on May 18, 2014
I have bought this product elsewhere, but decided to look on Amazon for it and was surprised by all the negative reviews. I have thick, wavy hair that either curls beautifully on its own with the humidity or completely frizzes out, which is more common. If it frizzes, this product does a great job of smoothing it out. My hair looks healthy and shiny after I use it. In fact, I just used it mere hours after coloring my hair (with ammonia-free Garnier Olia) and it worked just fine for me. The only negative I have experienced is that it does not last for 7 shampoos, and so I use it only a couple of times per summer as using it more often seems cost-prohibitive. When I don't use this product, I wash, comb, apply some sort of anti-frizz product and go. Perhaps if I colored with an ammonia-based product, used this product more often, or used a heat appliance every day, I would have had different results, but as it stands, I can only recommend this product.
on August 26, 2010
I bought this through a local Ulta store but since I live on Amazon I wanted to see others peoples review of this product. I have to say I freaked out a bit because as I was reading the other reviews I had the smelly serum on my hair. I have to say it does smell as bad as or worse as a home perm. I don't think any of the other reviews indicated if they used the whole bottle or not but I have to say I am pleased with the results I obtained. My hair is shoulder length and fine but I still have a hard time getting a sleek look with a flat iron. I chose to only use about 1/4 of the bottle of serum...and now am thankful I did as based on the other reviews had I used more it might have turned out bad. I kept hearing that age old advice "less is more" so proceeded with caution. My advice to anyone who hasn't tried it yet but would like to..start out with less product and see how that turns out.

Update: 5/21/11
I just used this product again and I like it. It works for me, makes my hair straighter, more manageable, shiny and soft. I feel really bad for all the ladies that are having problems. I can say I still won't use the whole bottle on my hair. I only use about 1/4 to 1/3 and that works for me.
on December 10, 2010
I bought this product after reading about it in a magazine. As I was waiting the 20 min before rinsing I decided to look up reviews and got really scared when I saw all the horror stories. I thought about rinsing it out right then to try to undo the damage. But I decided they wouldn't put a product out on the market if it made everyone's hair fall out. That would ruin their company's reputation.

and everything turned out fine!! My hair was definately less frizzy and less poufy after blow drying it. It doesn't look damaged. My hair looks shiny and sleek. It didn't take less time to dry but I hardly had to use the straightener at all so overall it was a much quicker process.

I think the bad reviews might be planted by salon owners or someone else with an ulterior motive. Or maybe these people didn't read the warnings and had recently colored their hair. I don't know. But I didn't want everyone to miss out on this product. I certainly wouldn't have bought it if I read the reviews first.
on March 18, 2016
I've used this before and loved the results. If you want straight hair on a temp basis then this is a great product, smells just while your doing the process but not after you shampoo.
on January 16, 2013
I cannot believe I see so many negative reviews for this product because I absolutely love it. No you cannot expect to use this and NEVER have to flat iron again but then when I spent hundreds of dollars on a salon brazillian straightner, not only did I lose hair, I still had to flat iron each and every day to style my hair! I have naturally wavy hair, not course or curly but still very wavy. I have found what this product does do for me is it decreases the amount of time a flat iron has to be on my hair, therefore, decreases the damage to my hair. I have such dry hair from coloring, etc that I only shampoo my hair twice a week so this product will last for me easily a month or longer. No it's not a perfect cure for curly/wavy hair, but then I have not found anthing that is. It does smell horrible when you apply it, the same smell as a permanent, but that is temporary. I buy this now on a regular basis at my local Walgreens, often find it on sale and double up when it is on sale. All I can say is every person will always have their own experience with any product, and you will have to try it for yourself. The good news is, that for me anyway, my hair has NEVER been damaged from using this, unlike other hair relaxers and straighening products I have used.
on September 22, 2011
I just read the reviews and OMG. If I read these before I started using it before I bought it when it first came out I would have never tried it.
I have been using it on and off since it first came out. My hair is long, thick, and slightly wavy. It's no where near damaged like all the other reviews say. I just did it yesterday, and yes I will say the smell is HORRIBLE. but my hair smells like my conditioner now and it's non frizzy and smooth.

I also haven't died my hair in almost 4 months. the directions say don't dye your hair within 14 days.

I am unsure why so many people have been having problems because I haven't and I don't use a extra conditioner or anything unusual to make my hair healthier.
on September 22, 2010
Maybe it's a good thing I did not read the reviews before I tried this product! My hair is chemically colored, blonde, midlength and thin & tends to break somewhat easily. (I am 55 years old). I am on my third washing and my hair is soft, silky and straight WITHOUT using the flat iron. (I try to avoid heat on my hair as much as I can). We wash with (non-softened) well-water and usually my hair is dry and frizzy after washing! Now my hair feels thicker and reminds me of my 19 year old daughter's hair after she returns from the salon. However, I did NOT use the entire contents of the first tube (the directions did not say to use the entire tube) so I used just enough to saturate my hair (about 1/2). It was smelly but not unbearable. The second tube seemed to "neutralize" the odor and then my hair smelled pretty good.

I would definately buy this product again!
on June 17, 2014
this is a really bad product, it does the opposite to your hair - dries it out and makes it even more frizzy. wish i read the reviews
DO NOT BUY
on August 2, 2011
First off, I feel really bad for the people that had their hair damaged from this product. I'm actually now amazed (and thankful) that my hair DIDN'T get damagaged.
I have medium length, fine-textured, medium-density, naturally wavy hair that is prone to damage because my hair is naturally dark blonde which I lighten to light-medium blonde.
After I shower, it usually takes me about 5-10 minutes to blowdry and then 25 minutes to straighten and seal the cuticle. My hair (after years of coloring and straightening) is still moderately damaged and can never seem to be perfectly smooth and glossy after straighteing so I decided to try this product. The first step smells really bad, I must say, sort of like a mix between perm and eggs. The second part, the blow dry cream, smelled much better. I did spray a little bit of leave in conditioner so that I could get a comb through, since you aren't supposed to condition it while using the product. I let my hair air-dry till it was 50% dry and it was so soft and the wave was undeniably relaxed. I then finished blowdrying and then used my straightener, to basically "seal the deal". It only took about 10-15 to straighten and it was so sleek, smooth, soft and glossy. I was amazed. The next morning, I woke up and instead of having to run the straighening iron through it, like usual, it was already good to go and pin straight. I only wash my hair every 2-3 days (using a shower cap when I shower) so this product worked about 3 weeks saving me lots of time getting ready each day. To me, that was worth the first day or 2 smelling like eggs, lol, which I masked with a touch of perfume (do not spray directly on hair, the alcohol content is way too high, I spray high above my head and let the mist fall onto hair). I use moraccan oil, which smells amazing and helped with the awful but temporary bad smell, before I blow dry normally and continued to use during the 3 weeks of using this product. Another reviewer stated that using a straighter and products defeats the point of this product but that is how it is intended to be used. For me, it worked exactly the way I hoped and exactly the way it said it would on the box. I'm so glad I didn't read the reviews before using it, I might have been scared off.
I last used it about 5 weeks ago and am planning on using it again in the near future. I guess people just have different hair types and textures so while this may work for some, it may not work for others.