5.0 out of 5 stars this is the best hair dye I have ever used
Published 5 months ago by Elven Princess

3.0 out of 5 stars BIG SCARE During the Application Process
(** Review updated - see note at the bottom) I have colored my own hair off and on for the last 10 to 15 years. I typically go to the salon, but about once a year will do it myself to save money.

Published 22 months ago by JAScribbles

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the best hair dye I have ever used, August 9, 2014
This review is from: Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Haircolor, 1.0 Black (Health and Beauty)
I never review products, but reading all the negative reviews here made me feel that I had to write a review. First of all, this is the best hair dye I have ever used...it is comparable to the dye they were using at Ulta when I was getting my hair professionally done, except that I'm not paying $100 an application. The dye doesn't smell great, but it is definitely preferable to the smell of other hair dyes. I have long, light brown hair that is thin and tends to be on the drier side. I dye it black every 4-6 weeks and I love the look!

I do have a couple comments to make on some of the most commonly mentioned negative points, though.

1. For people who are worried about this weighing down their hair...this is an OIL based dye. It specifically says that. If you have naturally oily hair already, DO NOT USE AN OIL BASED DYE. That's honestly just common sense and shouldn't really need to be said, but too many people brought that up. Adding oil to something oily will not make it gorgeous and fluffy. Since my hair is slightly drier, this dye is perfect and makes my hair beautifully smooth.

2. This is a dual point...first of all, yes, the bottle is a very weird shape. I don't consider this an issue, but apparently others do. If you are twisting the applicator cap off before you shake it, then you should be using both hands to shake the bottle. One on top, to block the hole, and one on the bottom to hold the bottle. Make sure to shake it vigorously. I have a strong feeling that a lot of the people complaining about coverage issues, patchiness, and weird colors are not shaking the dye well enough to blend everything together.

3. This is a rather thick hair dye. Personally, I prefer this to the thinner, runnier dyes. It's easier to control placement when the dye isn't running down the side of your head. If you can't get one bottle to cover your entire head, it just means you need to purchase a second. With hair down to the middle of my back, I need to use two for all-over coverage. The $20 that costs me is still a heck of a lot cheaper than the $100 it would cost at the salon.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this dye, but I also know my hair and know exactly what I can and can't do with it. You should always be careful when you're treating your hair with any product, but you also need to know your hair type before you start anything like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars BIG SCARE During the Application Process, March 20, 2013

I tend to buy medium brown, warm tones, something leaning toward auburn or chestnut brown. I have ash tones in my natural hair color and try to avoid that at all costs ( it looks olive green in florescent lights!)

My hair is also 45% gray. I'd let the roots go for too long and had almost 1.5 inches of yucky gray roots showing. There are bigger patches near my temples and behind my ears.

So - was I ever surprised when my roots turned bright pink during the processing period. Bright, deep Barbie doll pink!

Wow was I scared. Normally hair color solution turns black. It was only my gray roots turning pink. The ends of my hair looked fine. The pink kept getting brighter and brighter...

I waited about 22 minutes, trying not to freak out, but rinsed a little early. Since I was doing an all over color, I should have waited 30 minutes.

The color rinsed out well and my roots were not pink. But my word, what a scare! The resulting color is a nice soft brown, not too much auburn or red. Brown with a hint of warmth to it, just what I was looking for.

Pros to this product :
- It does not have a chemical smell at all. I have no idea how they eliminated that, but it smells sweet and fruity.
- The resulting color is fine and the gray coverage is pretty good. Probably would have been better had I left it in the entire time.

Cons to this product:
- Pink roots during processing will scare the crap out of people!!!
- The developer #1 bottle seemed only 1/3 full. I had enough but why not make the tube smaller. Users may think they didn't enough the full amount.
- The design of the application bottle is not great. The rounded bottle is slippery with gloves on and the super small tip was a pain to use. Slow and tedious.

But since the color turned out well in the end I am awarding this product four stars. I will report back in a few weeks to add how well the color holds up.

** Update - I've dropped my rating from 4 to 3 stars. The color lasted about the same as a semi permanent color. This isn't what I was hoping for. I use a gentle, sulfate free shampoo - Aveeno Pure Renewal Shampoo, but even that didn't help this color last. I also have soft water.

Within about two weeks I was back to dull, mousy brown. My roots stayed covered - somewhat, but dull brown. I don't think this is due to me not leaving it in the full time. One comment below states that her color didn't last through a few washings.

Too bad - the shine and warm color were gone so fast.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice color, uncomfortable applicator, March 15, 2013
I recently began coloring my hair to keep on top of the white streak that appeared up in my dark brown hair. I like to have a natural color so noone can even guess I color my hair.

Garnier has a large selection of colors shown in photo #2 (see photo collage that I attached by following 'customer photos'). I selected Garnier's Olia 4.0 dark brown color and the color came out nicely. The color is very natural and matched the rest of my hair very well. This is the good news part of the review.

Photo #4 shows the hair before the color was applied and Photo #3 shows the hair after the coloring.

On the negative side, I did not like the applicator. It is attractive looking, but the tear drop shaped bottle is not comfortable to hold and is slippery when the gloves are soaked with color mixture. The bottle is totally smooth and round and the sleek gloves had trouble holding on to it. The bottle is shown in photo #1.

The color mixture is fairly thick. I started applying it directly to roots by parting the hair. Because I found the bottle hard to hold I switched to using a brush to apply color and that worked better for me.

The color had no amonia and thus no amonia smell, that was very nice. I found the flowery fragrance a bit too strong. I would have preferred a lighter scent or unscented.

I liked that the color stains on my skin around the hair line washed off easily without much scrubbing.

The bottom line of my experience: nice color and uncomfortable applicator. I plan to use it again with the following modifications: I would use some masking tape to create folds and grooves on the bottle so that the surface is no so smooth. I would also be applying the color from the bottle on to the brush and then use the brush to apply it to the hair.

Ali Julia review

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Color, March 6, 2013
This has got to be the best hair color I have ever used. My hair was already blonde but with the dreaded yellow tones. After using this my hair was the prettiest, lightest beige blonde. The color is really true to the color shown on the box. When on my hair I was a bit worried, because it looks really blue. Also I woud recommend mixing then putting the gloves on. If you put on the gloves first, the bottle slips out of your hands and shoots across the room. When rinsing your hair and using the conditioner after coloring, it smells like the new car smell. That was the only weird thing about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garnier Olia Powered Permanent Haircolor is Simply the Best!, April 29, 2014
As a former cosmetologist, I usually prefer professional hair products, but I must say, that Garnier Olia Powered Permanent Haircolor is the exception. Firstly, the application of the product is simple enough for even the most inexperienced people to mix and apply. Everything is numbered and labeled, making mixing the product a breeze, and the well-written instructions make mistakes highly unlikely, provided one can read. The bulb applicator, with it's long needle like nose also makes touch-ups, for those who wish to cover their roots first, an easy task as well.

Another wonderful feature was the pleasant surprise I got when I applied the color. There was no strong ammonia scent that accompanies most haircolors. Instead, there was a pleasant floral scent. The color itself was exactly how it looked on the box, (although for those who have never colored your hair before, please note that the color you get depends on what color your natural color is). My natural color happens to be very close to the color I used, which is why I chose that color. The final surprise was the conditioner, which comes with the haircolor. It comes in a small tube, and for my hair, I only need to use a small amount (about the size of a penny), and it smells wonderful, and leaves my hair feeling silky smooth. Also, since I only use such a small amount, the conditioner has lasted me for almost a month!

For those who are looking for a good haircoloring product to use at home, I would highly recommend Garnier Olia Powered Permanent Haircolor, because it's simply the best!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL EXPERIENCE! Black 1.0 & 2.0 vs Natural Insticts Color Vibrancy & Professional Color..., September 21, 2014
First let me start by saying that I am a licensed cosmetologist...I usually use Framesi 1np (the blackest neutral black I have ever found) w/10 vol developer...this is permanent color. When I was pregnant my OB suggested I switch to Natural Instincts because it was ammonia free. Back then it was really the only one of it's kind. More "natural", better for your hair, but it was also only semi-permanent. Now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon with claims to make your hair softer and even healthier than before. Natural Instincts absolutely did this for my hair, but I have quite long hair (that required 2 boxes) and did not like having to do my whole head every 4 weeks. So back to permanent professional color I went. A while later they came out with a permanent line and I use their permanent black to refresh my all over color once a year or so because it is easier on my hair than the Framesi, which I still use to do my retouches every month. I recently went to Walmart to buy the Natural Instincts but they did not have the color I use stocked. I saw This Garnier Olia, and thought the claims seemed pretty good. I was so surprised by how good "box color" could be because of the Natural Instincts that I thought I'd give it a whirl. BAD IDEA! They did not have 2 boxes of the 1.0 darkest black, so I bought 1 box of 2.0 and 1 box of 1.0. I mixed each color in it's appropriate container and started to apply it, startig with the 2.0 at the root, blending it down to the ends with the 1.0. As it started to process it started turning this dark army/camouflage green! Usually black hair color is either neutral (brown), blue, or purple based...This is the 1st time I have ever seen green based. Your blue and purple based are going to be really bright blacks, your neutral will be warmer and deeper (and last longer). Green is as cool toned as it gets and means it will be ashy! Ashy black...think dull black, and kind of like an ash tray...speaking of ashes, afterward, my hair was as dry as them. I was so upset! The color was horrible enough, but then the state it left my hair in was tragic! The #3 step, the after care conditioner, was pointless! Not only did it not condition or detangle my hair, but the color just kept bleeding and bleeding out of my hair...it did not stop! When that happens it means that it will fade fast, and rub off on everything...clothes, towels, pillow cases, furniture, etc... especially if hair is wet. Ugh! The Natural Instincts 3rd step conditioner is amazing. It is kind of slippery feeling, but your hair feels so soft after, and it is a miracle detangler! I wish they would sell it separately...it's seriously amazing!

Please take my advice, as well as others' out there. DO NOT BUY THIS STUFF! Use Natural Instincts, or go to your hairdresser...do anything besides use this stuff. They need to either stop making it, or change the formula. I wish like crazy that I could go back in time and not have even purchased it.

3.0 out of 5 stars not satisfied, March 17, 2014
i am 42 and have a few stray hairs of grey along my hair line. All the hair colors I have used in the past cover the grey for at least 3 weeks, this one didn't do a thing to the grey. I had it on for 25 minutes and the color is nice on the hair that wasn't grey but the grey is still there and the main reason i color my hair is to cover the grey. False advertising on the part of Garnier. Also, the bottle is very oddly shaped, sort of like a huge egg, so it's hard to hold (and to shake when mixing the formula)

1.0 out of 5 stars sorely disappointed, January 13, 2015
I thought I'd finally found it---the perfect hair color. I've been using Nice N' Easy for decades; my hair looked wonderful, shiny and flowing, BUT, I just could not find the right color. When I discovered this Garnier Olia in the dark brown shade for which I'd searched for years, I was thrilled. That lasted just until I finished drying my hair after the dye job. Good grief, ladies....don't use this stuff!!!! My hair looks like straw!!!!!!! I never use hot rollers, curling irons, gel, mousse, hair spray....my hair was as healthy as it could be. UNTIL I PUT THIS STUFF ON IT!!! Horrible! It's been a month now; I super condition twice weekly, but my hair is dryer than it's ever been in my 64 years on this planet. I almost start crying every time I see my hair. Even my husband of 43 years actually noticed! That's when I REALLY knew just how bad it was. My hairstylist advised me to cut off SIX INCHES!!! AARRRGGGHHHH!! PLEASE, ALL YOU LOVELY WOMEN OUT THERE----DO NOT USE THIS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great color, smell good, no gray., June 16, 2014
I was not sure if this product would do well on my hair being I am black, with thin hair on the top which is most gray and the back is thick. Also, I used several other hair colors which left my hair with many different shade of gray.. I needed to do something. I tried Olia last night and my hair color never look so good, it smell nice, and the texture of my hair is softer.

It does recommend 20 minutes for roots and extra 10 minutes for the ends. I only kept the hair color in my hair for a total of 18 minutes because my hair is a little thick in the back and thin on the top. I think everyone should take into consideration the thickness and texture of her hair to keep it from over processing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely stay away, April 5, 2014
I have been dying my hair for almost 10 years. I tend to be a L'Oreal girl, but really wanted to try something that wouldn't damage my hair as much. Seemed like Olia was the perfect choice.

Found shade 6.60, light intense auburn. Loved the color on the box. I hadn't dyed my hair in months, so a splash of red was really needed. I took before pictures and started to dye my hair.

The only plus I found with this product was the fact that it did not smell or bug my scalp at all. Typically, there's a strong smell and my scalp doesn't always interact well with dye.

After applying and saturating my hair with the Olia dye, I waited the 30 minutes and rinsed. To my surprise, my hair felt much worse when rinsing than with other dyes. I ignored it, thinking it was more so my hair being tangled. I conditioned my hair and finished rinsing, then went to the mirror to look at my roots (typically red is vibrant enough to see the color at the roots while wet). No difference from before.

I let my hair dry somewhat and returned to the mirror to find not only no new color, but my hair now looked much duller than it had before. With naturally curly hair, my hair tends to be a little frizzy, but my hair looked as though I was 12 years old (hair very frizzy and poofy due to hormones).

I took after pictures just to make sure I wasn't nuts, and the only difference were dyed spots on my scalp (but not my hair). The few areas that did hold any new color weren't even close to the color the box showed.

Never buying this brand again!