Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on January 1, 2011
A good unit. All you have to do is search the web and you'll find people saying good things about the AT Pro. On Youtube, you can find some air test comparisons, and the AT Pro is kicking butt. I think this unit is going to have better performance than the Whites MXT and time will tell. The key feature at this price is waterproof to 10'!! If you want a waterproof detector that has built in pin-pointing, you'd have to pay $1,100 for a Fisher CZ-21. If you live near water, lakes, rivers, ocean, then this is the unit for you. I bought this unit for wading waist deep, coins, relics and prospecting. The AT Pro runs at the same frequency as the MXT Pro, which is geared for gold. AT for "All Terrain", is the all-around perfect detector for a wide range of terrains.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2012
I am an avid detectorist. I was looking for a new detector and came across the AT Pro. I really liked that it was all terrain and yet very reasonably priced. I know, as has been stated already, that the first generation had some issues. Some of them leaked, falsed really badly, etc. I think they have fixed most of those issues now. I am a part of a lot of forums and don't see many issues now, except for typical wear and tear stuff.

For me, the proof is in the pudding. I have found a ton of silver coins (which was one of my goals) with this detector. If you get your coil over a silver coin, it will sing. It has a high tone that is very distinct. The numerical values help to a degree. Shallower silver coins will typical read higher eighties, into the nineties. But deep silver can come in much lower, like the seventies. So, you have to learn and get to know how the AT works. I have found large cents, rings, walking liberty halves, V nickels, buffalo nickels, indian cents, etc. I went back over spots that I had previously worked and was shocked at the amount of silver I pulled out of the ground. Water detecting has been fun as well. I haven't hit the water as much, but it has performed very well in salt and fresh water. No leaks.

I use rechargeable batteries and I am pretty amazed how long they last. When I was at the beach for a week, I hunted hours and hours each day. I never had to recharge my batteries in that week.

The headphones are pretty nice. I don't love that they have a proprietary plug for it. I like how light the AT is in comparison to higher end models, like the eTrac. The control panel is easy to read and easy to use. Seriously, read through the manual and you will be good to go. You may have to refer to it now and again as it's easy to forget things. But that's all part of learning.

This thing has really good target separation. It will go deep if you learn to use it. And it will really pick targets out of the trash. Learn to understand what it is telling you and you will find great stuff. Always, always, always ground balance. I have found that backing off the ground balance a good ten to twenty points can work wonders in non-trashy sites. Auto ground balance and balance down ten to twenty points if you can. This will really make silver and copper coins sing. Don't do this in trashy locations.

But none of this will matter if you don't hunt good locations. This will all be wasted if your technique is sloppy, you move too fast, or you don't grid areas out. You have to research locations and you have to hunt them like a pro. If you do that, and are persistent, I guarantee you that you will find amazing stuff. I do almost every week.

Pros: light, long charge use, target separation, water usage, silver coin hound, higher frequency for smaller jewelry, headphones, Garrett support (really good!), pinpointing is easy once you get used to it, price point, pro mode is really good for understanding targets

Cons: screen can scratch (hint: buy a cell phone protective screen and cover it!), headphones aren't waterproof, makes metal detecting totally addicting ;^)

I have recommended this machine to all my mding buddies. If you buy it, you will see why. best of luck!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2011
I am new to metal detecting this year... I have used 3 different models Fischer75, an old tesoro, and a garrett ace250... Out of these three I primarily used the ace250 over 2 months untill I was able to afford my own. This was a Great easy to use beginner metal detector. Well, I finally saved enough money to purchase the AT-PRO. First I made sure that it was recently off of the production line. Your able to call the company your buying from and you can tell when they were ran by the serial numbers... You DON'T want a first production ran AT-PRO cause of the glitches they had with the housing and other bugs when it first came out. So when it arrived it was easy to assemble and it already comes with enegizer batteries in the housing. This is very easy to use in either PRO mode or the STD mode. the STD mode was a lot like the ace150,250,350. Same garrett "ding" when you find a desired target. In the pro mode it's more advanced and lets you hear the depth and size of the target. The AT-PRO is great for coins (not sure about other modes) yesterday was the first time out with it and I got over 40 coins and only picked up 6 pieces of trash.... that is a GREAT RATIO!!! NO soda can tops!!! Pin Pointing was SUPER EASY. Even pulled out a quarter in a pile of nuts and bolts. I plan on taking it out this week to the lake on Saturday to test it's water durability. This comes with the new PROformance coil wich is slick, it goes deeper and covers more ground. The only CON that I noticed was there was no backlight on the unit. So if it's dark I'm not sure how your suppose to see what your target could be. The AT-PRO is a crazy good metal detector. Definetly the best in its class.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2013
I've been metal detecting for 41 years. Start with the BFO's, then the TR's and then VLF. Had some of the top of the line machines for the day. I to ally love the AT Pro. Bought it in Mar 0f 2013. I mainly hunt parks. Most people think their hunted out. I'm averaging 60 plus coins a trip. The AT Pro will not only go deep it has such a quick recovery time you can find coins in between all the trash. I use the Pro zero mode and run the iron disc up to 38. We have fairly mineralized solid here ground balance is high 80's to low 90's. This machine is a dime magnet and a nickel finder. I found a 1912 V nickel at 9", the signal strength was high and never wavered. I found a silver Canadian quarter at 10" and lots of coins at 8". Please read the manual and watch the videos on U-Tube. Then practice, practice and practice. Each time I go out I dig less trash and dig deeper signals. This machine is powerful and I have found 1/8 rivets to 6". Go slow in trashy areas, keep the coil level and almost scraping the ground (coil cover a must). This machine will not only separate the trash but also come up with different coins in the same spot. A pin pointer is a must as you are digging deep it helps you recover faster also. All the bad reviews are from people who haven't used the AT Pro or just started. Get to the pro mode as fast as your comfortable and run full sensitivity even with the big coil you came go through trashy ares just go slow and when you get that sweet whiney sound pin point it. I get about 15 to 18 hours on a pack of batteries. Thanks for reading and happy hunting
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2011
The review with two stars is false!

From page 49 of the manual:
NiMH rechargeable batteries may
be used. Expect 20 to 40 hours of operation depending on
battery type and quality

If a person can't figure this out, he has no hope of use any metal detector.
on September 12, 2013
Only reason I thought about giving it 4 stars was because it should have came with waterproof headphones and a universal headphone jack instead of their own hookup. I upgraded from a ace350. Within the first hour in my yard I found 6 coins, a pocketknife and various other iron and aluminum. It is definitely an upgrade from the ace in terms of target depth and precision. I started on the pro mode and really enjoyed it. Some of the tones it produces in the pro mode are very quiet and I would recommend using the headphones in this mode. I really can't compare it to another top brand but I'm happy with my decision to purchase this product with all it's features for this price.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2014
I bought my son the Ace 250 for Christmas, then a few days later got the AT Pro for me. I have no experience with other detectors, except for the few days with the Ace 250. To use the AT Pro correctly, you must study the manual and watch videos. I can tell what most items are before I dig, except for pull tabs. The AT Pro has the ability to detect the length of an item, so I can not eliminate most cans. I can also discriminate all smaller iron objects like nails and bottle caps. every time I use this machine I get better and better.

Update: I've been using this detector for several months now. It turned out to be a great machine, and I'm not sure if there's a better one out there. There are ones that go deeper, but I've learned very quickly that I don't want to dig a two foot deep hole to find a pull tab, which is just the downside with all detectors. I can work very, very trashy areas and pick out good targets amongst the garbage, and most of the time have a close idea to what it is. I did buy the smaller coil for those trashy areas. The larger coil that came with is great for everywhere else.
on October 16, 2012
I have never used a Metal Detector before, so I have nothing to compare it to.
What I can tell you is in my first 10 "outings" approx. 1.5 hrs each, I have multiple rings (2)with Diamonds single/chips,1 Diamond earring,a 28" silver chain (from Italy) and over 100 coins, including a a 50 cent Euro and a 10 cent Ruble !
The learning curve was easy but I have not tried the ocean for any length of time yet. I gave it a quick try after balancing and resetting the discrimination but need to get a small shovel (my metal scooper is not sufficient).
All in all, FUN + getting a some exercise.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2013
Now here is a great product for the price, If you are not familiar with dectors, YOU WILL HAVE TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND READ THE MANUEL AND WATCH THE VIDEO THAT COMES WITH THE DETECTOR. It is water proff up to 10 feet and has rugged connectors and the arm rest is well constructed and may need a bit of padding to the indivual need It does a great job and is very discriminatory, you can spend a lot more and get a lot less, Again read the book and watch the video
on September 8, 2014
Simply put. one of the best machines on the market for the money. You will not find a better machine unless you spend almost double the cost of this one.
This machine is loaded with features, which I am sure you have read if you are looking at buying this machine. I use the machine in Georgia USA. where the soil is so full of mineralization that the soil/clay is actually orange from all the iron and rust content. This machine with its ground balance feature makes this no problem at all to hunt. Also this machine has 4 different frequency's so you can hunt along side of your friend and the 2 machines will play nice together and not interfere with each other. Another great plus is the water proof to 10 feet. So weather you want to hunt in the lake, in a stream, or just do not want to have to pack up and go home when it starts to rain, you are set to go with no worries. The discrimination feature just rounds out this machine so if you want to set it up to skip iron, or only to pick up gold, or anything in between you can set this machine up for that