Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Gary Fong GFLSC01 LightSphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser
|Price:||$59.95 & FREE Shipping. Details|
|You Save:||$4.80 (7%)|
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and .
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Collapses down to a 1 1/2 inch thick ring allowing for easy storage
- Utilizes patent pending sizing ribs that provide an equally tight fit to several sizes of flashes without the need for straps or banks
- Equivalent output to a half cloud
- The Inverted Dome is included with every lightsphere collapsible purchase
- Works with your existing accessory domes, amber dome and chrome dome (not included)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
|Item Dimensions||3.5 x 5 x 5 inches|
|Shipping Weight||0.3 pounds|
Top Customer Reviews
With the release of the lightsphere collapsable, I wondered if this could retire my 2 year old lightsphere II. Was is it time for an upgrade? Yes and no. Read on for my impressions.
First, the bad:
1) The older lightsphere II is actually smaller than the collapsible in its expanded form. The lightsphere II is smaller because it does not need to collapse like an accordion, allowing it to have thinner and fewer walls, giving it a more curved, bell shape. The sphere II is also mostly transluscent, making it feel smaller because it's less visually intrusive than its cloudy big brother.
2) The lightsphere II is fitted to your particular flash model. This is very valuable for me because I never struggle fitting the accessory, as it comes on and off with ease, one handed, and stays on securely. It takes effort and practice to get the collpapsible on and off quickly, requiring me to use both hands while setting the camera on a table. Perhaps it's more an issue of technique and practice, but it's important to note I never initially had this problem with the lightsphere II.Read more ›
Best of all the result speak for themselves...the light "wraps" around your subject and gives a very soft illumination to the subject - say "goodby" to harsh shadows. If you want even more control you can put the sb900 with the lightsphere attached in "remote" mode and use the pop-up flash on the Nikon in "command" mode to trigger the flash without spilling direct light on the subject - allowing you to get very creative illumination.
I've owned two different "three-light" systems and the results with the Collapsible Lightsphere are quite impressive - best money for lighting that I've every spent.
I just uploaded a 16-second video showing a still images using the Collapsible Lightsphere at the request of another person reading this review. Here's the link: [...]
That said, don't expect too much from an on-camera accessory. If you turn the camera for a portrait shot, expect shadowing on the opposite side. It doesn't particularly matter if you can rotate your flash as Gary Fong demonstrates in his videos. If you turn the camera, your flash is now 6-10" away from you camera on one side. Unless you keep the flash directly on top of your camera, you will inevitably get a one-sided shadow. Not necessarily a bad thing if you don't have a wall behind the subject, but definitely something to keep in mind.
Overall, I've been very satisfied with this little accessory. The collapsible aspect is nice for packing as long as you have room for it, and the fit is good (although my flash has a smaller head than the Nikon SB-900 and similar) It's not perfect and takes a little getting used to, but is very useful and should make your flash photography much more natural and pleasing.
The Collapsible has done a terrific job of creating warm, even light without hot spots or shiny faces. Skin tones look more natural and I have depth which had previously been lost by the flattening of the flash.
BUT...the Puffer was recalled due to a manufacturing defect, and the Collapsible is splitting where the rubber boot wraps around the flash head. I've called the number on Fong's store site 4 or 5 times, and sent 3 e-mails. No response at all. Unfortunately it seems that however well-intentioned he may be, and however useful the products may be, he doesn't have the staff to back manufacturing defects. It's really disappointing, because I want to recommend these. Now I've discovered that there are a variety of alternatives, including an inexpensive do-it-yourself alternative on Instructables.
My recommendation: don't buy the products if you're going to use them regularly. I may have gotten unlucky with my two purchases, but contacting customer service 7 or 8 times without response is just inexcusable.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
used it once and tossed it in the "back up equipment" box. I hate this thing. it didnt stay on my flash, its large and bulky and just didnt have the effect i wantedPublished 19 days ago by Samantha Erhart
A bit on the pricey side, but it gets the job done. Looks and feels sturdier than a homemade dome-type diffuser. The collapsing feature is a great change from the original.Published 2 months ago by EGAristocrat
The image pictured is NOT what I received. I received an older model style that used the velcro wrap. I specifically wanted the newer version that didn't need it. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Peter Foster
great one for indoor photography with a good bouncing wall or ceilingPublished 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
Fits great, perfect for taking pictures at night or in dark rooms.Published 3 months ago by Jose G.
Awesome! Way better than the first generation. Get the one with Velcro...so much more secure and easier to get on and off!Published 4 months ago by Ericka M.
Just love this product, one of the best flash diffusers in the market, easily fits in a bag, collapsible, fits just about right on my canon speedlite flash. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Vinay Setty
Best thing ever i got for my flash. It work very good. Makes a difference!!!!
Good material, you cant go wrong with this.