Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Me: "My name is Bob and I'm a Lightsphere user."

Everyone else: "Hi Bob."

I agree that it sometimes does not produce "artistic" lighting that is bounced off walls or people's shirts. However, if you want to get acceptable and often better lighting without a lot of fiddling, this thing does the trick. If I have time then I'll use some fancy light-shaping bounce thingy. If I have lots of time I'll set up an umbrella or two. If I need to grab and go then I find myself grabbing a Lightsphere more than anything else.

My only complaints about the original Lightsphere are that it looks... stupid and that it looks stupider when it falls off my flash. This version solves at least the second of those two issues. If you put it on right then it will stay on.

Everyone else: "How do you put it on right, Bob?"

Me: Shove the dome over your flash as far as you can. See where that is. Take the black rubber band that you get with the LS and place it around your flash just above the furthest point that it reached. Now put the LS back on your flash. The bottom flanges should cover, but just cover, the rubber band. Now tighten the Velcro strap and you're in business. Covering over the "GARYFONG.COM" with black sharpie or gaffer's tape is optional.

Thank you for attending this meeting of Lightsphere Users Anonymous. Now I think I'll put on my "Proud to Chimp" tee shirt and go take some pictures. :)

BEFORE YOU BUY, CHECK OUT Gary Fong LSUCLOUD Lightsphere Universal Cloud - It's the same thing for almost $10 less!!!

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews can take the place of first-hand experiences that are lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and work hard to return the favor as best as I can. I hope you found this review helpful and if there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.
0Comment109 of 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 2, 2008
Originally, I bought the Gary Fong Lightsphere II. I read that the Gary Fong Lightsphere #1 was terrific, but alas, it fell off all the time. So I figured the Gary Fong Lightsphere II would address this problem. Silly me.

The good news is, for $10 more, the Gary Fong Universal Lightsphere comes with the Gary Fong "archival" band (its a rubber band) and the Gary Fong Velcro strap. Using these two items, the Gary Fong Universal Lightsphere really does stay in place. Only hitch is, the Gary Fong promotional CD that comes with the Gary Fong Universal Lightsphere doesn't explain the attachment proceedure. It does, however, give a series of Gary Fong promotional demos, featuring Gary Fong.

I figured it out pretty quickly but it was just a lucky guess. Before you even reach for your Gary Fong Lightsphere, you wrap the Gary Fong archival rubber band around the top of your flash. Make sure the side that says GaryFong.com is facing outwards. The rubber band provides enough friction so that when you tighten the Gary Fong Velcro strip, the diffuser will stay in place. You'll know the Velcro is oriented properly when you see "GaryFong.com" prominently displayed.

Otherwise, its a good, soft diffuser.
66 comments53 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2009
This diffuser does a great job of eliminating shadows - maybe too good of a job. I used this diffuser for the first time list last weekend. I got some great shots - but some of my shots were a little flat.....moodless; it did such a complete job of diffusing because everything was evenly lit.

For a wedding or event shooting it would be great.....for art shots you want to go for something with more control.
77 comments27 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2008
The Gary Fong Lightsphere Cloud Universal System is great. You are able to use it on any flash. With several different cameras, I do not have to mess around with a light diffuser for each camera.

I love this product. It really takes the "blunt" light away and illuminates wonderfully.

If you are looking for something that can be packed away in a tight space, this is not the product. It is hard plastic. I run the strap of my camera bag though it and store the dome in the bag. Easy to get to and you will always know you have it with your camera.

I love this and would recommend it to anyone looking for a superior diffuser.
on May 4, 2012
In entitling this little review, "A Sucker Born Every Minute", I'm referring to myself for having bought this thing. It's not much more than a piece of tupperware and diffusers -- selling for a fifth of the cost (or less), work just as well.

This fellow has videos on YouTube, etc., extolling the unique properties of a concave sphere you attach to the end of this humongous thing. (The pitch reminds you of a 3:00am infommercial. The gadget has little raised "ribs", that are supposed to do unique things to light. Well, in comparing it with the little Nikon diffusers included with my flashes, I couldn't see much of any difference.

You don't think it's a piece of tupperware? Buy it and report back. $50.00. I'd love to know what this guy's production costs are for this piece of junk. Oh, yes: It does do what it claims to do. It will diffuse light in a variety of ways. So will many things.

Spend your money on something useful.
22 comments14 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2009
I wasn't really sure what to expect. I knew I needed a diffuser for my speedlite since I was going to be doing some night weddings soon. And really, that shadow right behind a person, that's bush league. That should never be there if someone is paying you.

Pulled it out of the box, and my first impression was: "sturdier than I thought it would be." Yes, for a piece of tupperware it's probably slightly on the expensive side. Under $40 is still a pretty chunk of change (and you should always equate what that really costs in your area of living. $40 = one dinner date (if you don't splurge), 6 fast food meals, 3.5 movie ticktes, 1 used video game, 1 decent shirt from the mall, 75 kg of food in Uganda, etc). But if it saves you time in post-production/ processing, then I think it's worth it. The flash, by being diffused, is not harsh. Allows for more crisp photos in darker situations. As with all lighting elements, if you're in a bigger room, then you don't want to be using a medium or long range lens with this, but a shorter range lens works quite well.

If you have problems with it fitting snug on - well, it fit fine on my speedlite. And if you're having problems with it fitting snug on, you can always pad either the flash or the lightsphere's prongs with a layer or several of black electrical tape. The rubber band made it snug on it's own on mine.

For the price, yes, I think it's worth it. Will I need this all the time? No. But that 10% when I do need something like this, I feel confident that it will work, and that I won't have to slave over a picture in Photoshop trying to make the best of a decent or bad situation.
0Comment30 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2010
I own several Gary Fong diffusers for my Nikon S-800 flash units. I love them.

I purchased 2 new Nikon SB-900 flash units (love them, too, after turning the temperature limit off) - and I need some Gary Fong diffusers for the SB-900s. I purchased a "universal" Gary Fong diffuser to test on a Nikon SB-900 - and it is a piece of junk!

The Gary Fong units for the SB-800s attach firmly to the flash. The "Universal" for the SB-900 Nikon flash is not made to fit the SB-900 at all. It has 4 "flaps" that go over the flash head - and a poorly-designed strap and - get this - a rubber band (!) to hold it on. It does not stay on !!! In the middle of a wedding or the reception it will be on the floor if you move too fast.

I'm shocked by how poorly this fits my flash. I can only hope that Gary Fong has a true SB-900 unit in production.

Universal here means "not really designed to fit anything."
55 comments23 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2010
For as little as you pay for it, you get a really great product. Evenly diffused light will cover your subject with ease. Highly recommended for the portrait and wedding photographer.
on June 15, 2012
Overall I'm pretty happy with the Lightsphere. I borrowed one from a friend to try out before coming back to Amazon to purchase it for myself. I tried the LS in several settings and used undiffused bounced flash, straight front flash, and then flash with the LS pointed at the ceiling. The test using the LS produced far better results.

I got the LS because bouncing flash from the ceiling doesn't work in all situations. Sometimes bounced light makes the top half of the subject illuminated much more than the bottom half. The LS helps counteract that and scatters the light much more evenly. I also often photograph with flash in a gym with high ceilings as well as a room with a black ceiling...in those cases, bouncing my flash from the ceiling doesn't work. The LS definitely helps in those situations. I also wanted something I could use for group portraits when photographing weddings in a dimly lit sanctuary, and I believe this will help tremendously.

I have had no problems with it attaching firmly to my Canon 580EX II or 430EX II. It stays on both without slipping. It does look a little ridiculous, but people care more about the results than the look of the equipment. It is bulky to carry in a bag but still much less cumbersome than carrying light stands and umbrellas around. It may take a little playing with to learn how to use, but overall it is a good product and I believe it's worth the price.
review image
on February 15, 2013
Honestly, I thought this was going to be a drastic improvement over bounce cards or soft boxes.. In reality, it is just slightly better than those two options but does spread light better I must say.

For a group or room full of people it works good and diffuses light enough that it doesnt seem so harsh as a direct flash would be or even bouncing a flash forward.. With the cap over top of it, you will find very little light distribution from it, so dont expect much bounce from that.. You can remove the top if you wish and it makes for some interesting photos doing it that way..

The mfg did a great job on the attachment process to your flash.. it's fitted with a velcro like belt and you get a rubbery like huge rubberband thing to position on the flash head itself.. so, you can rest assured, the thing will be snug and secure.. but I wouldnt recommend holding your camera by the tupperware itself if your sporting a D800, D4, or anything weighing more than your head.

So in conclusion, expect better than average results over a softbox or bounce card in most cases.. But you probably could've just as easily ripped the top off a 2 liter coke bottle and duct taped it to your flash for less than $1.50 :)