4.0 out of 5 stars No seconds thoughts. The deal was right.
Amazon asked me to review this purchase and the product. This is my first time I accepted such invitation to a review. I did this because everything was executed right and giving credit where it is due is what I want to do.

Published on March 1, 2009 by GT4DBA

3.0 out of 5 stars Read first - there are some issues which may effect you
A good computer for a buck but I encountered several unexpected issues which effected me and may effect some potential buyers as well, so I want to share my experience here.

1. DX4710-07 with Vista 64 crashes if it has more than 4GB RAM.
Published on March 21, 2009 by MikeP

3.0 out of 5 stars Read first - there are some issues which may effect you, March 21, 2009
This review is from: Gateway DX4710-07 Desktop PC (Personal Computers)

1. DX4710-07 with Vista 64 crashes if it has more than 4GB RAM.
Computer spec says you can expend RAM to 8 GB (original RAM size is 4GB), but once I added 4GB more, my new PC started experience random system crashes. I ran CPU/RAM stress test (IntelBurnTest) on it with 8GB of RAM and system instability was clearly and consistently detected (4GB RAM works fine). A "Blue screen of death" crash is random and rare - once in every several hours, and it's not unique to my PC - research on Internet revealed that many people have similar experience. In my case all suggested workarounds did not work, and Gateway Tech support was no help on this issue.

2. You can NOT use external video card and onboard video controller at the same time.
For my business I need more than one monitor and on my previous computers I used concurrently onboard graphic controller and PCI or PCI x16 graphic card. DX4710 does not allow to use such configuration - once external card is installed, the onboard controller is disabled and there is no way to enable neither through device manager nor via BIOS. Gateway Tech Support confirmed that they can NOT be used concurrently.

3. Vista 64 compatibility issues.
This issue is not unique to DX4710 but a prospective buyer should be aware about it because this PC comes with Vista 64 OS and it can cause a number of costly problems along the road. As of today (03/2009) a lot of hardware (even from leading manufactures) have no Vista 64 drivers. Just as an example I was not able to use on this machine my Lexmark printer, Canon scanner and KWorld TV Tuner. Similar issues can happen with some software products, although most 32 bit software run on this PC without problem. I would suggest to check Vista 64 compatibility for your important software and hardware before committing yourself to 64 bit OS ([...]

In a conclusion I want to say that in its original configuration DX4710-07 works reliably and most of the problems I had originated from my specific needs like large RAM and multi monitor system. I think that most customers may be happy with this computer in its original configuration.

4.0 out of 5 stars No seconds thoughts. The deal was right., March 1, 2009
This review is from: Gateway DX4710-07 Desktop PC (Personal Computers)

Amazon offered me a good deal, no S&H, no taxes (for out of state), $30 credit on their credit card, Gateway's special price 609.99 was a steal for this Quad system. J&R, the seller, shipped it immediately. Everything in working order, at least for now. The system seems a bit underpowered based on my expectations (I am a heavy multiple windows doing work). Maybe a 6GB would have made it a better choice for me vs. the packaged 4GB but then again I am pushing my luck to get more for my money but I already did. Thanks to all, Amazon, J&R and Gateway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast machine at a reasonable price, February 22, 2009
This review is from: Gateway DX4710-07 Desktop PC (Personal Computers)
The first one received had a bad Ethernet connection. Gateway was very helpful trying to diagnose the problem and it was easy to get support over the phone. However, it was return it to Gateway for repair and wait 2 weeks or send it back to JR Music and get a new one. JR was very helpful and friendly and paid return shipping (I recommend them highly). By paying for a new one (they credited back my credit card once the broken machine arrived to them) I had a new machine within 3-4 days. The computer is very quiet and seems fast to me. You can run 2 or 3 programs at once and there seems to be very little lag time. It comes with a ESATA connection in place - I plan to use a hard drive dock with SATA drives for fast file transfers. Only other problem has been the mouse locking up on occasion which I'm sure is a Vista problem.
So far , I'm happy with it and it should suffice for quite a few years as there is room for upgrades and 4 more gigs of memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Fast & Quiet Computer, April 4, 2009
This review is from: Gateway DX4710-07 Desktop PC (Personal Computers)
I highly recommend this computer and would definitely buy it again. It is extremely fast and almost completely silent when running. I'm not a fan of Windows Vista, but that is not a fault of this computer, that's a problem Microsoft created. The scanning function of our printer is not compatible with Vista. Fortunately I have a laptop with Windows XP that I can connect to it when I need to scan something. I guess when I need to replace my laptop I will also be forced to replace our printer. That's the downside of technology!

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it!!!!!, May 19, 2009
F. J. HAUSER (North Dakota, USA) - See all my reviews
This is my 3rd. Gateway and I'm very impressed with the ease in transfering
information from my old one to this one. As for the Vista vs the Pentium 4 I really like this one better, so far. I have cable network and the speed of this computer is light years faster. I would buy another Gateway
because I have had great luck??? with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I've ever had, December 10, 2009
This review is from: Gateway DX4710-07 Desktop PC (Personal Computers)
This PC is super fast, reliable & easy to use....

Had it for 8 months & not a single problem... Ths windows Vista OS seems to run without a hitch...

I'm just an average in home user & not a game fanitic but I am more then satisfyed...

I would recommend this PC to a friend...

5.0 out of 5 stars Gateway computer, May 24, 2009
This review is from: Gateway DX4710-07 Desktop PC (Personal Computers)
Great service on our order, great product (this is our 3rd or 4th Gateway). We are very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth every penny, March 11, 2009
This review is from: Gateway DX4710-07 Desktop PC (Personal Computers)
this computer is worth every penny. It's easy to use and the software on it makes it a dream.

Gateway DX4710-07 Desktop PC